Sinclair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Sinclair

Hi all,

I have been a quiet observer of the forums as well as BF. Jack Sinclair seems to constantly either be left out of best 22 teams or named in a FP with little to no fan fare.

Whenever i watched Sinclair he looked very good and i feel like he gets overlooked due to where he was drafted. He is a very natural mover, natural goal kicker, a nice kick of the footy and has speed albeit he is slightly undersized (although that goes for most of our team).

His stats didn't do him justice last year with a fair few times he was a sub.

I feel like he will take a big step this year and be a vital cog in our forward and midfield.

Does anyone else share my sentiments or am i viewing him with rose coloured glasses?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sinclair

You're right... Sincas is a ripper & will be a major player in our midfield when we're back challenging.

Anyone who leaves him out of their best 22 is short sighted at best.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Absolutely love him. Exciting to watch. Hoping he takes the next step this year towards consistency, but you can't fault his promise.

My kids created a Jack Sinclair in their Dream League soccer team. That's the highest honour they can bestow ...

Always loyal
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Based on last year he's in our starting 22. He and Lonie combined as a great little forward line double act with their goals, goal assists and pressure. And he has one of the rarest, but possibly most valuable commodities in the AFL - composure. He seems to have ice-water running through his veins with his decision making even under pressure. He's almost always accurate, neat and hits targets.

But you have to be careful about getting too carried away with one year. The history of the AFL is littered with players who looked great in their first couple of years but didn't come on. The issue might come up if Gresham forces his way into the team as a midfielder. We'd have Steven, Gresham, Lonie and Sinclair as very small players. Is that too many? Can Sinclair play as a genuine midfielder or a back flanker or on the wing even as we seem to be grooming players to be able to play multiple positions so we aren't one-dimensional? He started in the backline against North and didn't look too out of place but is his size a problem there for getting out marked?

How will his body hold up as a smaller player who will get bashed around and has to start carrying niggles - will he lose some zip and precision? If he can back up this year with another solid year, particularly if he shows he can be effective on the ball despite his size, then I'll start to become a believer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's a clever player... Has some areas to improve, but is a composed decision maker.

Sam Mitchell... Without the 35 possessions

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This has got me thinking. Given our biggest weakness in the last few years has been in clearances - I might start a thread on it this season where I keep weekly stats on clearances.

Most for/Most against/ Team total/Opp Total. Running totals (for and against). Top 5.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair and Lonie both had good first seasons in 2015. But Sinclair was the best of the two of them. He started as the sub a few times, I think Lonie was sub once. Sinclair kicked more goals in less games than Lonie.

SuperDuper
Club Player

needs to get more of the ball... but two pieces of play in that NAB cup match against kangaroos were simply top shelf, as good as you see...

1. that goal. pure class.
2. the handball over his shoulder to Saunders.. just knowing where his teammate was, when getting tackled... released a running Saunders to deliver forward

just knows where opposition are, where teammates are and where the goals are.. stays calm and delivers the ball cleanly and creatively

really hope he can start getting a few 20+ possession games this year... and then increasing his average and consistency over the next 2-3 years

Long Term Injury
Club Player

I find it really hard to hide my excitement about what Sinclair could be. His balance, composure and vision is already close to elite. If he can combine his low centre of gravity with a genuine hunger for the contest then i think we potentially have a steal of the century. I see him in a similar light to Billings. I agree 100% with the other posters that if he can just find a bit more of it this year that will be a positive. Sky is the limit!!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's a clever player... Has some areas to improve, but is a composed decision maker.

Sam Mitchell... Without the 35 possessions
Isn't he still a kid?

Wait 2 years and he could easily be a gun

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

21 this year... He is a young player but not a 'kid'.... Harves was a b&f winner by then, so was Luke Ball... Age isn't always

He's a solid boy with a low centre of gravity. He could easily be a gun... After a year some suggested Siposs would be a 'gun' though

Jack has obvious talent... If he improves his numbers, his quality of possession would then be more significant. Personally I think he will end up a bargain, and we have jagged a great player, but...

Let's just wait and see?...

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He's not in the NAB 3 squad with players like Wright, Lee, Gresham, Curren and Membrey playing. Maybe only Curren and Gresham out of that lot might keep him out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's an interesting one, he's very good especially near goal but not zippy, he needs to get his midfield numbers up to a point that they cant leave him out but probably an upgrade on Eli. He's still got a chance to go either way but a very impressive debut year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

At this stage I reckon both Sinclair and Lonie are ahead of Eli.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Sometimes you just have to reflect on some of the good calls you make