Saints in Literature/ Books

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in Literature/ Books

Sainternist wrote:I still haven't got around to getting a copy of Peter Lyons' biography of Darrel Baldock: The Incomparable Mr Magic.

Has anyone here read it?
It's a few years since I read it. I recall it just being a little over the top in its praise of The Doc.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

loris wrote:Aaah Bratty, pleased I'm not going senile. I've found the other thread about St Kilda in Scotland. I just was a little jumbled about who was the original poster, what year the thread was in.
At least I was spot on about me & Gershwin having a chat about appropriate music to accompany his boat trip. It's just the You tube videos he linked to were not his trip to St Kilda. It was clip of tourists going to Fingals Cave inThe Inner Hebrides- another place he had been to. Great sound track of Mendelssohn's Overture - Fingal's Cave to accompany the video.

And the original poster of the thread was 'Yours Truly'!!! Fancy that eh?

I posted the thread on Sat 29 Dec 2012. The thread title was 'St Kilda................ here we come with Monty.'

And it had nothing to do with Joey. It was just alerting posters that the program on SBS1 about the Isle of St Kilda was being shown the following week . The presenters name was Monty Hall.

After a number of us watched the doco on St Kilda, there was a good discussion on it. Apart from the usual suspect :roll: St Kilda llooked a rather bleak, but stunning island. It's World heritage listed.

Gershwin said he was travelling there the following year. White Winmar, had attempted to get there, but the the boat was cancelled for a few days due to the wild weather. I think he valued his life & eventually decided not to do the crossing!!

Gershwin posted a link to a You tube of 'The St Kildan's Song'. Not that rousing, don't think it would push off our theme song 'Oh When The Saints.................

Can't work out how to do a link to the thread tho' Bratty. From Gershwin's link to the YouTube video on St Kilda you can See plenty of other videos on the Isle of St Kilda.......... A unique, quirky place with an interesting but at times difficult history, not a place for the feint hearted to live or visit. Just like our beloved Saints, not the run of the mill AFL team, unique, has a tendancy to take a road more difficult at times, and definitely not for feint hearted supporters.
Yes Loris it was me that went to the island of St Kilda back in 2013.
Actually the island is called Hirta and it is in the group of islands called St Kilda.
We had lovely weather which is unusual as at least half of the time trips are cancelled because the sea is too rough. The National Trust look after the islands and apparently there is a St Kilda scarf in their bunkhouse. When I moved to Scotland earlier in 2013 I didn't take over any of my many St Kilda scarfs but my wife did a great job of knitting one in the weeks before we went to St Kilda. It was a nice moment to display it and have a photo taken.
I'm still living in Scotland but will return to Australia to live in the near future.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Gershwin wrote:
loris wrote:Aaah Bratty, pleased I'm not going senile. I've found the other thread about St Kilda in Scotland. I just was a little jumbled about who was the original poster, what year the thread was in.
At least I was spot on about me & Gershwin having a chat about appropriate music to accompany his boat trip. It's just the You tube videos he linked to were not his trip to St Kilda. It was clip of tourists going to Fingals Cave inThe Inner Hebrides- another place he had been to. Great sound track of Mendelssohn's Overture - Fingal's Cave to accompany the video.

I posted the thread on Sat 29 Dec 2012. The thread title was 'St Kilda................ here we come with Monty.'

And it had nothing to do with Joey. It was just alerting posters that the program on SBS1 about the Isle of St Kilda was being shown the following week . The presenters name was Monty Hall.

After a number of us watched the doco on St Kilda, there was a good discussion on it. Apart from the usual suspect :roll: St Kilda llooked a rather bleak, but stunning island. It's World heritage listed.

Gershwin said he was travelling there the following year. White Winmar, had attempted to get there, but the the boat was cancelled for a few days due to the wild weather. I think he valued his life & eventually decided not to do the crossing!!

Gershwin posted a link to a You tube of 'The St Kildan's Song'. Not that rousing, don't think it would push off our theme song 'Oh When The Saints.................

Can't work out how to do a link to the thread tho' Bratty. From Gershwin's link to the YouTube video on St Kilda you can See plenty of other videos on the Isle of St Kilda.......... A unique, quirky place with an interesting but at times difficult history, not a place for the feint hearted to live or visit. Just like our beloved Saints, not the run of the mill AFL team, unique, has a tendancy to take a road more difficult at times, and definitely not for feint hearted supporters.
Actually the island is called Hirta and it is in the group of islands called St Kilda.
We had lovely weather which is unusual as at least half of the time trips are cancelled because the sea is too rough. The National Trust look after the islands and apparently there is a St Kilda scarf in their bunkhouse. When I moved to Scotland earlier in 2013 I didn't take over any of my many St Kilda scarfs but my wife did a great job of knitting one in the weeks before we went to St Kilda. It was a nice moment to display it and have a photo taken.
I'm still living in Scotland but will return to Australia to live in the near future.
Coincidentally my wife and I are going on a cruise of the Hebrides in late June this year. And we go to St Kilda. Have seen many photos and TV shows about the place, so I know exactly what it looks like. Really looking forward to it. Will take a scarf! And hope for good weather.

Gershwin
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

Coincidentally my wife and I are going on a cruise of the Hebrides in late June this year. And we go to St Kilda. Have seen many photos and TV shows about the place, so I know exactly what it looks like. Really looking forward to it. Will take a scarf! And hope for good weather.
That will be an awesome trip. Enjoy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Gershwin wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

That will be an awesome trip. Enjoy.
Cheers!

mcadam05
Club Player

always a great read the St Kilda fanzine

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Not so much a story about the club, players or the suburb,

however the namesakes of several players feature for better or worse in the novel, The Siren of Seoul.

Available for the cost of a cappuccino at the usual online purveyors.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Other Books with saintly References
"Jack Irish" series by saints supporting Peter Temple.
Bratty............ The new Jack Irish series starts on ABC1 tonight at 8.30pm.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

got it - but no note of anything saintly really- without letting you know the plot it is a bit removed from previous

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:Not so much a story about the club, players or the suburb,

however the namesakes of several players feature for better or worse in the novel, The Siren of Seoul.

Available for the cost of a cappuccino at the usual online purveyors.
I downloaded the sample. Gehrig, Loewe, Hamill. Did I miss any?

What have you got against defenders?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

This guy, a friend of Ian Fleming's, was a St. Kilda supporter, and served as the inspiration of a colourful character, Dicko Henderson, in a James Bond novel, You Only Live Twice, and the James Bond movie of the same name. He was also a good mate of the writer John Le Carre who wrote The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, and who also used him as a character, Old Crawford, in his books. He was a reporter and allegedly a spy - or at least a person who knew his way around in spy circles. His son and daughter became famous musicians. When he was on This Is Your Life, before his son came out (before the guests came out they would always say something so that the person being honoured would know at once who it was, like a private joke) he said "Carna Saints!"

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

not literature but the arts

The painting Full Back, St. Kilda by arguably Australia's greatest ever painter, Sidney Nolan, of Keith Miller.

Nolan grew up in St. Kilda.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

The Hellbound Heart, by Clive Barker. Not so much about the saints, but a useful guide for saints' supporters. It is considered one of the greatest fictional works on the subject of masochism.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The ultimate saints book.

"The Point of it all."

by Jules Feldmann and Russell Holmesby.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:always a great read the St Kilda fanzine

These are great!!!

Thanks for putting these up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wolfpup
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:not literature but the arts

The painting Full Back, St. Kilda by arguably Australia's greatest ever painter, Sidney Nolan, of Keith Miller.

Nolan grew up in St. Kilda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footballer_(Nolan)

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2016 6:15pm Oval Dreams by Bruce Matthews? Is worth tracking down.

Also Saturday Afternoon Fever by Matthew Hardy.
There is now a podcast version of Saturday Afternoon Fever. Well worth a listen.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a great re-read

good work

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
mcadam05
Club Player

Plugger - The Tony Lockett story
Cricket's unsung legend (The Jimmy Matthews Story) by James Brear( his 1907 season is mentioned)
Cazaly the Legend by Robert Allen
Football by Dave McNamara (original impossible to get , thankfully reprinted in 2014)

avid
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2016 6:15pm Oval Dreams by Bruce Matthews? Is worth tracking down.

Also Saturday Afternoon Fever by Matthew Hardy.
These to me are the two classics.
Matthew Hardy's I've read twice -- just for the sheer pleasure of it.

To add to the list here there's also Yvette Wroby's Siren's Call. It's really her own personal memoir of 2015, but paced and interlaced throughout with the Saints' hopeful but futile season. Easily identifiable with in the way footy helps you through the Melbourne year, no matter how badly we end up doing.