Saints in Literature/ Books

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints in Literature/ Books

I have read several 'autobiographies' or assisted autobiographies
finally read 'Plugger" which I was given years ago and was written in 1992
and reflects Plugger- chapters are 'brief' one is half a page- some were expanded with photos- the longest chapter was 5 pages when he was chatting about his favourite footballers.

Did Tony ever complete another 'book'

Books by or about Saints
Harves
Lenny
Draft - edition 1 and 2- Ben McEvoy one of players folowed by Emma Quayle
Draftee- by Emma Quayle- 1/3 about the Saints as she followed the Saints Recruiting team
The Bubble- David Misson

Black and Proud- - Gilbert McAdam / Nicky Winmar - ( Boundary Lines- about Gilbert's Father

who else should I look for?
What is the Ken Sheldon Book?

Other Books with saintly References
"Jack Irish" series by saints supporting Peter Temple.

Life and Death of St Kilda - about the Isle of St Kilda but has connection to St Kilda Melbourne where some of the community moved to.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in Literature/ Books

Sacked Coach. Stan Alves
Doc or The Doc

I found both books very tough to read.

Not St Kilda. But I really enjoyed the Wayne Carey book.

BTW. I'm not so sure that people moved from the island of St Kilda to the suburb of St Kilda.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Oval Dreams by Bruce Matthews? Is worth tracking down.

Also Saturday Afternoon Fever by Matthew Hardy.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

BTW. I'm not so sure that people moved from the island of St Kilda to the suburb of St Kilda.
They did
n the 1850s, 42 of the islanders emigrated to Australia, half of them dying on the way.
Eric Richards, professor of history at Flinders University in Adelaide, believes the deaths and the survivors' first experiences of Australia deterred potential emigrants.
The survivors were quarantined on arrival in Port Phillip and were also treated less well because they spoke Gaelic and not English. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Several lived in Kew and returned to visit St Kilda in the1920's and took an Australian flag from the Mayor oF St Kilda Melbourne

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

That says Kew. Probably Hawks fans.

mambo2706
Club Player

saintbrat wrote: Did Tony ever complete another 'book'
MY LIFE BY TONY LOCKETT

https://books.google.com.au/books/about ... hlAAAACAAJ

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

How could I forget Matt Hardy's book

Looks like I have a couple to track down

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

They did
n the 1850s, 42 of the islanders emigrated to Australia, half of them dying on the way.
Eric Richards, professor of history at Flinders University in Adelaide, believes the deaths and the survivors' first experiences of Australia deterred potential emigrants.
The survivors were quarantined on arrival in Port Phillip and were also treated less well because they spoke Gaelic and not English. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Several lived in Kew and returned to visit St Kilda in the1920's and took an Australian flag from the Mayor oF St Kilda Melbourne
I've got this book bought it in Isle of Skye at the Dunvegan Castle but they didn't call it St Kilda it was Hertia or something along those lines and from memory I was surprised it did state that one or two of them settled in St Kilda or thereabouts. They had amazing feet.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lenny's book worth a read for those of us that genuine deep insight?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saintbrat wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

They did
Kew is not St Kilda Bratty.

From what I heard, the suburb is named after the barque Lady of St Kilda which was anchored off the coast there for a while.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

They did
Kew is not St Kilda Bratty.

From what I heard, the suburb is named after the barque Lady of St Kilda which was anchored off the coast there for a while.
Yep, the Lady of St Kilda was moored for so long in the bay that people started calling the whole area "St Kilda".
See an image of the ship on the Balaclava Railway Bridge (if it's still there).

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bratty. Get onto Brian Matthews works. Can't recall who wrote this about him at the time, loved it & jotted it down ....."Brian Matthews is an hopelessly unreconstructed St Kilda supporter........."

Two books I would recommend are:

Brian's autobiography. 'A Fine and Private Place'. It's about him growing up in the suburb of St Kilda. His love affair with the suburb of St Kilda, it's wickedness, it's gentility, the most evocative descriptions of the streetscape and architecture. And ofcourse how he become a hopeless Saints supporter and his years of supporting the Saints at the Junction Oval.

The other one is, 'The Temple down the Road'. That's an historical account of the MCG. In that book you find many a mention on the Saints. There are chapters on 1965 GF and ofcourse 1966.

If they are out of print, I'm sure you'll be able to to get them through inter library loan. If you have no luck I'll lend you mine. I'll be in Melbourne for the Saints match at Etihad on Sunday 8 May. So will bring them with me, just let me know.

Also Brian Matthews regularly writes articles for Eureka street. He can't help himself at times, he could be writing on issues like climate change, Grecian art, land development or any topic and little gems about the saints pop in! Plus he's a cricket tragic, and he often weaves Saints into his cricket stories.

There are a couple of articles he wrote about our grannies in 2009 & 2010. I've kept copies of those.

'The Wet Sheep' a football eulogy' is re our 2009 defeat by Geelong.

'Fanatic's football fairytale' . Is the frustration of an interstate member of getting your GF tickets on-line in 2010 in that small time frame available. Then his credit card is rejected. Not getting the system to recognise his allocated barcode. Having to find another member not going, using that person's barcode to get a ticket. But was no longer in the premium members lot, and only scored standing room. Then after the draw, the dread of knowing he had to go through the whole system again......... and as he found out, as we all did........ Fairytales don't always have a happy ending.

So, Bratty go onto: http://www.eurekastreet.com.au and type in Brian Matthews and you should find most of his articles archived for about 10 years.

He's a wonderful storyteller, which is not so surprising as he's an expert on Henry Lawson, another brilliant raconteur, and story teller. Matthews has written a biography on Lawson.

A cricket journalist acquaintance of mine (who reads this site) and is friend of Matthews told me he mentioned SS to Matthews, he told me Matthews said he reads the site. Didn't mention if he posts though. Must remember to ask him when I see him next if Matthews does. That will be possibly when in Sri Lanka if the 3 test series goes on later this year Jly/Aug. Think ACB are still doing final security checking before giving final OK to tour groups.

Yes another of the Jack Irish series is back on early February....... must check the dates/time out. Think I read this one will be a 6 series show. So expect to spend most of our times watching the show looking for St Kilda scarf eh and mentions of of Etihad & who the Saints are playing and not following the plot!

Did you catch up last night on ABC tv it was a re-run of Peter Temple's 'The Broken Shore'? Has Temple been stalking you of late wanting your Saints number plates?

Some naughty individual attempted to screw mine off my car recently. Only was able to loosen the rear plate thank goodness. Now I wouldn't mind too much if it was an impoverished Saint supporter, who couldn't afford to purchase their own Saints number plate. However, I wouldn't have been too happy if it was some low life, who would have used my plates for unlawful purposes on a stolen car etc - my generosity would'nt extend that far.
Last edited by loris on Tue 26 Jan 2016 7:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Haven't seen him around for ages- and don't frequant the local P O often any more

then have the plates off currently.
will follow up the Bruce Matthews link
I did hear there was Jack Irish coming again

Might check Iview for the one from last night

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Haven't seen him around for ages- and don't frequant the local P O often any more

It's Brian not Bruce Matthews, Bratty.!!!!!!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

These three are your Bible, Torah, Koran and Tibetan Book of the Dead of St. Kilda - read these first:

The Point Of It All Jules Feldman and Russell Holmesby
Heroes With Haloes Russell Holmesby
Strength Through Loyalty - St. Kilda at Moorabbin and Beyond Russell Holmesby

St. Kilda's link to the Scotland St. Kilda comes from the New Zealand ship - Our Lady Of St. Kilda, which was moored at St. Kilda jetty during the mid-1800s. If you go to Irvine on the west coast of Scotland near Stranraer where the ferry sails fro Belfast, Northern Ireland, all the streets, roads and lanes are named St. Kilda, after the island in the Scottish Hebrides which Irvine faces. The closest and most obvious Scottish Premier League side to follow if you want to barrack for all things St. Kilda is Kimarnock - or Killie as the locals call them. Their most successful period? The sixties, of course. Their first and only league title - 1964 when they beat the almighty Glasgow Rangers at Easter Road Stadium.

I have had the opportunity to visit Irvine and Stranraer way back in 1993 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Magnificent place.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
loris
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:These three are your Bible, Torah, Koran and Tibetan Book of the Dead of St. Kilda - read these first:

The Point Of It All Jules Feldman and Russell Holmesby
Heroes With Haloes Russell Holmesby
Strength Through Loyalty - St. Kilda at Moorabbin and Beyond Russell Holmesby

St. Kilda's link to the Scotland St. Kilda comes from the New Zealand ship - Our Lady Of St. Kilda, which was moored at St. Kilda jetty during the mid-1800s. If you go to Irvine on the west coast of Scotland near Stranraer where the ferry sails fro Belfast, Northern Ireland, all the streets, roads and lanes are named St. Kilda, after the island in the Scottish Hebrides which Irvine faces. The closest and most obvious Scottish Premier League side to follow if you want to barrack for all things St. Kilda is Kimarnock - or Killie as the locals call them. Their most successful period? The sixties, of course. Their first and only league title - 1964 when they beat the almighty Glasgow Rangers at Easter Road Stadium.

I have had the opportunity to visit Irvine and Stranraer way back in 1993 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Magnificent place.
One of S/S posters, 'Gershwin' , if I recollect correctly, went to the Isle of St Kilda in 2014. He took some photos/ may have been a video of himself on the sea crossing. Rather wild ride and it looked very cold. He posted it all on site. Think he said he had to wait a few days before it was safe for the boat to do the crossing.

I think it was last year SBS1 has a programme on St Kilda....... It was on the series about Scottish Islands. Very bleak place. Maybe Saints could do a pre-season training camp there?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Haven't seen him around for ages- and don't frequant the local P O often any more

Oval Dreams was in fact by Brian Matthews. Somewhere in all my moves I have lost nearly all my hard copy books. Maybe the stories are covered in the books Loris mentioned.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Saints and literature...
Apparently Carlisle is going to put his year off to good use by finishing

JOHN and BETTY!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
One of S/S posters, 'Gershwin' , if I recollect correctly, went to the Isle of St Kilda in 2014. He took some photos/ may have been a video of himself on the sea crossing. Rather wild ride and it looked very cold. He posted it all on site. Think he said he had to wait a few days before it was safe for the boat to do the crossing.

I think it was last year SBS1 has a programme on St Kilda....... It was on the series about Scottish Islands. Very bleak place. Maybe Saints could do a pre-season training camp there?
yes I have often thought that when we were doing O/S trips- go and do some of the heritage Buildling work-- maybe now they can just get them to help with Moorabbin.

taped those programs and keep them with the St kilda Island book.

I checked out ebay for a couple of the books- Tony's My Life is $1.50 with 4 times as much postage

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
loris wrote:

yes I have often thought that when we were doing O/S trips- go and do some of the heritage Buildling work-- maybe now they can just get them to help with Moorabbin.

taped those programs and keep them with the St kilda Island book.

I checked out ebay for a couple of the books- Tony's My Life is $1.50 with 4 times as much postage
My memory serves me right it was Gershwin that went. :P

I looked back through his posts. There is a photo of him on the island of St Kilda, proudly holding out his Saints scarf.

Can't do the link Bratty....... you may be able to ?

Gerswhin's thread is titled. 'Visit to the Isle of St Kilda.'It was posted on 20 May 2013. I was a year out in my guesstimate of when it was posted. My excuse, as one ages, times seems to fly by so quickly!!

Ofcourse there has to be a negative post or two from some posters :roll: it is Saintsational after all.

There is no video clip on it of him on a boat during the crossing. I'm sure I hand some banter with Gershwin about, his musical name, and we were discussing the most appropriate tune to accompany his voyage. Maybe thereis another post he put up on his trip. Or maybe I'm just dreaming that .......... Sadly, another thing that comes with age. :(

Or it could have been on the thread where a few of us discussed seeing the programme on SBS1 on the Isle of St Kilda. It will come to me ........... It just takes time these days!!! Rarely am I wrong. And I'm not humble either!

I notice Gershwin hasn't returned from Scotland . His Avator says he resides in Glasgow now.

loris
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Speaking of Saints and literature...
Apparently Carlisle is going to put his year off to good use by finishing

JOHN and BETTY!
When he's shown he has mastered the art of reading. Maybe he can push himself further and start on PINOCCHIO?

There he maybe will learn the lessons of the morals of the tale of that book. It's doesn't end up well when you tell lies and mix with those who lie and cheat!

Come to think of it the flakey one has a rather elongated pointed nose. And his brain is definitely wooden!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Aaah Bratty, pleased I'm not going senile. I've found the other thread about St Kilda in Scotland. I just was a little jumbled about who was the original poster, what year the thread was in.
At least I was spot on about me & Gershwin having a chat about appropriate music to accompany his boat trip. It's just the You tube videos he linked to were not his trip to St Kilda. It was clip of tourists going to Fingals Cave inThe Inner Hebrides- another place he had been to. Great sound track of Mendelssohn's Overture - Fingal's Cave to accompany the video.

And the original poster of the thread was 'Yours Truly'!!! Fancy that eh?

I posted the thread on Sat 29 Dec 2012. The thread title was 'St Kilda................ here we come with Monty.'

And it had nothing to do with Joey. It was just alerting posters that the program on SBS1 about the Isle of St Kilda was being shown the following week . The presenters name was Monty Hall.

After a number of us watched the doco on St Kilda, there was a good discussion on it. Apart from the usual suspect :roll: St Kilda llooked a rather bleak, but stunning island. It's World heritage listed.

Gershwin said he was travelling there the following year. White Winmar, had attempted to get there, but the the boat was cancelled for a few days due to the wild weather. I think he valued his life & eventually decided not to do the crossing!!

Gershwin posted a link to a You tube of 'The St Kildan's Song'. Not that rousing, don't think it would push off our theme song 'Oh When The Saints.................."

Can't work out how to do a link to the thread tho' Bratty. From Gershwin's link to the YouTube video on St Kilda you can See plenty of other videos on the Isle of St Kilda.......... A unique, quirky place with an interesting but at times difficult history, not a place for the feint hearted to live or visit. Just like our beloved Saints, not the run of the mill AFL team, unique, has a tendancy to take a road more difficult at times, and definitely not for feint hearted supporters.

mcadam05
Club Player

Well there's Dave McNamara book that came out in 1914 Very Hard too find an original copy , but it was reprinted in 2014

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

have you read it mcadam05?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I still haven't got around to getting a copy of Peter Lyons' biography of Darrel Baldock: The Incomparable Mr Magic.

Has anyone here read it?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!