Matt Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Maguire

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 7411463151

memory coming back- if the Lions hadn't taken him the saints were going to - shame- he would have gotten the 100th maybe-- the old sliding doors.
can you elaborate? as I reckon he was a RL victim - who played Raph & Zac ahead of him
I was gutted when he was delisted - the club had kept him on the books for two years after the injury and in '09 he played all his games in the twos
When he was picked up by the Lions he was injected straight into the side and played out the season - & Yes i realise that the clubs were at different ends of the spectrum - but 1 more game ...
& he averaged as many games per season with the Lions (post injury) that he did with the Saints
Yep. We may miss out on a father son selection down the track because of that omission. Maquire plus Ball bloodlines won't necessarily produce an AFL grade footballer but the coupling has a better chance than most.

Do you actually understand what sunsaint wants SB to elaborate on? Obviously not.
Yes, smartarse, but that was for bratty to answer not me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Yes, smartarse, but that was for bratty to answer not me.

Sorry I thought you answered it. Its like talking to a deaf monkey.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintbrat wrote:From what I remember yes he was in the 2's and some of the RL affect but they were trying to get that one extra game and he did hamstring or similiar and missed when he would have played
it was the famous RL make (or break) draft
lose Ball
get Lovett & Peake
pick Winmar, Jesse Smith, Adam Pattison, Will Johnson, & elevated rookies Dawson (before Maguire 2 Lions) & Miles (after maguire 2 Lions)

we did keep Leigh Fisher that year ( doubley! checked for accuracy)

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saintbrat wrote:From what I remember yes he was in the 2's and some of the RL affect but they were trying to get that one extra game and he did hamstring or similiar and missed when he would have played
lose Ball
get Lovett & Peake
pick Winmar, Jesse Smith, Adam Pattison, Will Johnson, & elevated rookies Dawson (before Maguire 2 Lions) & Miles (after maguire 2 Lions)

What a f****** disaster.

The_Goose31
Club Player

Shouldn't be a surprise that he was my favourite player. It's pretty remarkable that he got to 170 games, when you consider all the injuries he's had to overcome. Wish he had remained a Saint :(

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Hows the saying go?
You line bunch of players up and throw a brick at them
The ones that catch it - play forward
The ones that dodge it - play middle
The ones that let it hit them play back

And the Goose took his fair share of hits
All the best - enjoy the sunshine :wink:

Seeya
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Loved by almost all. Ross Lyon would sell is own mother for a few $$$. Sad loss to Saints and their "loyalty"

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Was very RL like that he couldn't find one spot in 22 games to gift Matt just one more game

Could have tried him up forward once perhaps against a Melbourne

bigred
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
lose Ball
get Lovett & Peake

Seriously.

That draft is Deeeeeluxe.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

https://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/s ... e-28-06-15

at about 1 hr 16
Matty explains his decision and the process and what next.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

ozrulestrace wrote:I'm sorry to hear of his retirement.

I always loved his work as a defender.

Ditto re the broken leg-you could the crack from the other side of the ground and the whole crowd went silent.

Good luck Goose in your retirement.
+1. I can still hear it. Loved the Goose. Always a Saint.

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... eb11117729
Geelong’s Blease and Brisbane’s Maguire both retired during 2015 through repeat concussions but were initially denied payouts by the AFL.

While Brisbane’s Justin Clarke was able to win a payout of nearly $700,000 for a single catastrophic concussion, they suffered a series of hits in their careers.

Their claims progressed through the AFL’s grievance tribunal and were eventually resolved to their satisfaction late last year.

Both the AFL and Players’ Association admitted the criteria was unfair given players must prove a single career-ending injury in the last year of a contract.

Maguire’s final concussion in a NEAFL game in April 2015 was a brutal hit, worse than previous concussions but still he could not prove it ended his career.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
McGuire was 30, which under the sliding scale means he was eligible for 50 per cent of his base salary.

Under that system, Dane Swan’s foot injury saw him paid out $400,000, which saw him retire given he would only have been paid that sum if he played on this year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The 2009 off season was a disgrace... said so at the time and was castigated

Our class of '00, '01, '02 made a commitment with GT to change the club

Along with Lenny and Sammy they became the Leadership group 05-09

There was also the popularity of Xavier Clarke, Milney and Bakes.

They were like a family

For Goose to be dumped after 3 years of Rehab at 25yo and picked up with pick 92 by Brisbane and play a further 71 games (and suffered another significant injury) whilst we picked up a bloke at 77 from Sandy who played 1 game - Good Call

We got rid of X Clarke after a knee at 26yo (which was a typical ACL) and went for Jesse Smith at pick 61 who had a degenerative ankle (similar to Hamill's knee) X played one more game of AFL and unfortunately did it again ... bad luck
Jesse did not even make it through the year of training and just did rehab. Never even played footy again!
He was a father son at North with ability, if they knew he was able to get back, would they have let him walk?

Of course Lovett the under achieving drunk who enjoyed a bit of domestic violence and who his club and coaches gladly saw the back of... was traded for pick 16 (Pittard) and cost a Million for zero games.

Or first pick in the draft was Nicholas Winmar, interesting... romantic?! He couldn't get a vfl senior game.

The selection over those years of dumped Richmond GOPs Dean Polo and Adam Pattison was really strange? And Geelong fringe player Ryan Gamble?!Rookie selections for depth would have been suffice?

The letting go of Luke Ball (an ex Captain B&f and #2 pick) for zero was absolutely embarrassing and costly.

We got close to a flag

We got desperate

We sold our soul and ripped the fabric of the club because we got excited... result was that we tumbled down the ladder.

Go back further
Obvious Drafting mistakes from 06-08 were also ridiculous.

Vazelos
Club Player

We got a lot right at the start of the decade but butchered things when we were in the window.
You look at the Hawks and they bring Dew,Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson and it wins them flags.
Fine line you have to nail it, we will be in that position next 3-5 years it's looking likely.
Some great work done by the club we just need to nail the one player when it comes along to strengthen or fill a gap.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The 2009 off season was a disgrace... said so at the time and was castigated

They were like a family

For Goose to be dumped after 3 years of Rehab at 25yo and picked up with pick 92 by Brisbane and play a further 71 games (and suffered another significant injury) whilst we picked up a bloke at 77 from Sandy who played 1 game - Good Call

We got rid of X Clarke after a knee at 26yo (which was a typical ACL) and went for Jesse Smith at pick 61 who had a degenerative ankle (similar to Hamill's knee) X played one more game of AFL and unfortunately did it again ... bad luck
Jesse did not even make it through the year of training and just did rehab. Never even played footy again!
He was a father son at North with ability, if they knew he was able to get back, would they have let him walk?

Of course Lovett the under achieving drunk who enjoyed a bit of domestic violence and who his club and coaches gladly saw the back of... was traded for pick 16 (Pittard) and cost a Million for zero games.

Or first pick in the draft was Nicholas Winmar, interesting... romantic?! He couldn't get a vfl senior game.

The selection over those years of dumped Richmond GOPs Dean Polo and Adam Pattison was really strange? And Geelong fringe player Ryan Gamble?!Rookie selections for depth would have been suffice?

The letting go of Luke Ball (an ex Captain B&f and #2 pick) for zero was absolutely embarrassing and costly.

We got close to a flag

We got desperate

We sold our soul and ripped the fabric of the club because we got excited... result was that we tumbled down the ladder.

Go back further
You can blame Ross Lyon for that. He can rot at Fremantle for the rest of his days

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon was/is a great team coach, good tactician and strong leader.

Absolutely poor at developing players, list/club coaching and forward planning.

He and AR are complete opposites

Although AR as a match day coach hasn't been scrutinised much yet, this comes when you're a good team.
But he clearly is a better club coach than Ross.

the dome
Club Player

Matt Maguire was Great for St.Kilda from the get-go

Matt Maguire played some fantastic games for the red, white & black. As a young backman he was easily one of my favorites in his early days @ St. Kilda. That damned leg injury dealt Matt a cruel blow indeed.
However I still have those memories of him sailing across the defensive zone intercepting marks & setting us up to launch out of up the field.
It does get to you when one of your favorites is effectively removed from the team.

I would like to wish Matt all the very best on his life journey.
Good Luck Matt. :D

stonecold
SS Life Member

Used to love the Goose, but then one day saw him at a fun day, kid accidentally kicked a footy into him and he went totally off his tree at the kid, swearing and carrying on like a real knob. Kid was crying and really upset, I had to help find he's parents after that, he was just devastated, after all it was just an accident!!!!!

Goose lost me that day, but, IM sure now he is a family man himself, he would have a better understanding, so all the best Goose!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The 2009 off season was a disgrace... said so at the time and was castigated

They were like a family

We got close to a flag

We got desperate

Go back further
Fantastic post BM. Glad you have the balls to tell it like it really was.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I love your gigantic manly aggots too bigman.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I love your gigantic manly aggots too bigman.

Maybe if his are so big, he could spare you one. :wink: :D

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Ha yeah, that reminds of this one time I nearly lost one in the process of making a skippers triple century for some amateur cricket team…

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ross Lyon was/is a great team coach, good tactician and strong leader.

Absolutely poor at developing players, list/club coaching and forward planning.

He and AR are complete opposites

Although AR as a match day coach hasn't been scrutinised much yet, this comes when you're a good team.
But he clearly is a better club coach than Ross.
I agree with this. However I always believe that match day coaching is very much overrated. Even when we have played poorly this year I thought our match day structures have been very good, maybe apart from the Dees where we over committed on the press. AR doesn't have the superstars that GT or RL had to work with. Any criticism of the team this year could almost be directed at the strength and conditioning staff as we have faded badly in all our losses. We have kicked poorly for goal as well - this can be attributed to players taking shots from poor positions on the ground which could be argued is ball movement and AR's fault. However many of the misses have been very gettable goals so I'm not sure who we attribute that to? Any danger the players take responsibility??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:

Ha yeah, that reminds of this one time I nearly lost one in the process of making a skippers triple century for some amateur cricket team…
:D Had a similar experience actually. :(

No triple century though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it takes any balls to say any of that stuff now... it's widely accepted we dropped the ball.

Maybe at the time, when I copped vitriol from the usual customers (some are still doing it)

Of course P66 and Joffa Moreland led the charge, but their little chronies loved to join in with thinly veiled swipes, cheap shots and baiting... I still have my fans, who seem eager to sink the boots in.

It's funny, they criticised me for thinking I know everything and suggest I'm arrogant... but then saying my opinion is wrong, and they know better... suggests they believe they know better than the man they are critical of, for the same thing???

Talk about irony???

The height of Arrogance
Thinking you know better than a person you consider arrogant... haha