Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy

Tom Hawkins was shitty in his first couple of years. Without him they wouldn't have won a flag in 2011

Paddy has been thrown into the deep end so he can see first hand how hard he has to work to make it. Hopefully it doesn't dent his confidence in the long term. I'm sure with the amount of support staff and development coaches that the mental side of things is being considered. The coaches need to throw these first and second year players (including JB) back into the VFL from to time to time so they can rip it up and retain belief that they belong in the seniors.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Anybody thinking Paddy would be Plugger reincarnated by just having a pre-season out of the under 18's is clearly delusional. Liked what I saw when he played at Morwell but anybody with an ounce of football nous could tell he aint ready for the big league and won't be for a while.

I really want to see him playing alongside Rooey, just to see him learn during the progress of the match.

Saint supporter since '62
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I've seen enough to know that he understands how to play as a key forward. And that big frame will be pretty hard to push off the ball in a couple of years. But he's just a kid, and needs time. Astonishing that anyone would write him off after less than a couple of hours of football.

How many kicks did Riewoldt get in his first couple of hours of football?

seano1
Club Player

of course its was Saad fault he was picked as the sub and it was his fault he told Paddy to get off...and of course it was his fault the the ball didn`t get into the forward as much as he and the other forwards would have liked . I agree Paddy shouldn`t have been subbed he may aswell played the whole game out and of course Saad could have picked on someone else .

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Lets discuss mccartin in 2 years.

in the mean time he is just a kid and will adapt, grow, strengthen in mind and body.
Hype off. Get him into the chrysalis, when he emerges we can judge

He is just a kid. 2 games.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Fair call. Older saint you make a fair point.

I have no doubt the kid is smart and is a beautiful set shot.

Roughie is amazing below his knees and has a good tank but isn't fast or an amazing mark so I take everyone's point.

I may have made a stupid post in haste.
Thanks for going easy!!

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote: I may have made a stupid post in haste.
No sh*t

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont have any worries with Paddy building slowly.
Now he knows the standards he knows what to aim for.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 11 Apr 2017 10:25pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Disch
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:Anybody thinking Paddy would be Plugger reincarnated by just having a pre-season out of the under 18's is clearly delusional. Liked what I saw when he played at Morwell but anybody with an ounce of football nous could tell he aint ready for the big league and won't be for a while.

I really want to see him playing alongside Rooey, just to see him learn during the progress of the match.
Two very different types of footballers
Forget about trying to make him into the next Riewoldt.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Anybody thinking Paddy would be Plugger reincarnated by just having a pre-season out of the under 18's is clearly delusional. Liked what I saw when he played at Morwell but anybody with an ounce of football nous could tell he aint ready for the big league and won't be for a while.

In fairness to Trev I fail to see where he ever compares the 2 in the above post. Playing along side and playing like, are two completely different things. Milney played along side Roo.

The Disch wrote:

I'd love to see Paddy playing with Roo. Paddy got the smarts to find those gaps that Rooey leaves his in his wake. With Bruce playing the leaping forward role to keep defenders on their toes I see that a good lineup. And for Paddy to see Roo's work rate and bravery firsthand would have a huge impact. Hopefully soon.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Not a goal in his last 3 outings, including VFL today in good conditions. Anyone see the game today? Did he play up the field? Not kick straight? Or just have an off day? Can't get any reports.

Club Player

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:The ceiling for Paddy doesn't look amazing.
He is not quick, his athleticism is average and his overhead marking is ordinary.

Most here will lash out in his defence about being only 18 and learning the game, but his raw ability looks very tame from what I have seen.

The ceiling is closing in.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

another thread just slightly re worded... I guess these type of threads are more about the OP than the subject.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Except this was my opinion after 2 games....Seems fairly accurate after 2 years.

stonecold
SS Life Member

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:Except this was my opinion after 2 games....Seems fairly accurate after 2 years.
Seems?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:Except this was my opinion after 2 games....Seems fairly accurate after 2 years.
Seems?????

Very deep.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Paddy came under a little scrutiny from Brian Waldron this morning on KB's Hungry for Sport. Then that old chestnut of "they could have chosen Petracca" came up. Sheesh!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

my apologies.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not about his performance, but why is he so far under AFL standard fitness and athleticism?

I watched him train in the pre season - he could not complete the running all others did

I watch him in the VFL and he labours

I watch him in the AFL and he is off-pace

He has had 3 pre seasons and 2 full seasons in an elite full time training environment and still has the shape of a local footballer?
Pierce changed his body shape
Marshall looks fit
Even Goddard looks fit

Does Paddy train as hard as Elite AFL forwards?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not about his performance, but why is he so far under AFL standard fitness and athleticism?

I watched him train in the pre season - he could not complete the running all others did

I watch him in the VFL and he labours

I watch him in the AFL and he is off-pace

He has had 3 pre seasons and 2 full seasons in an elite full time training environment and still has the shape of a local footballer?
Pierce changed his body shape
Marshall looks fit
Even Goddard looks fit

Does Paddy train as hard as Elite AFL forwards?
I have not seen Paddy's fitness / strength stats, but I shall say this - players come in different shapes and sizes and have different strengths. He looks to be improving year on year and the start of his peak years (23-28) means he has 2 more pre-seasons to reach his potential.

Paddy has great ball judgement and his leads are top notch. His attack on the ball is good. If he doesn't mark it, then the ball falls to the front and square position. His field kicking is good. His goal kicking needs work - actually his kick is good - I believe it is where he targets is the problem - he is a classic get it through the two sticks shot a goal - a HUGE mistake.

He looks fitter this year to me and whilst NOT elite he is getting around much better and higher up the ground too. Playing more like a centre half forward to me these days and I certainly think by the time he is 23 / 24 he will be competition wide leading goal scorer or at least top 5. He is just turning 21 years old.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This old man, he kicked three,
He played knick-knack on my knee;
With a knick-knack Paddy whack,
Give the dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why do you think he looks fitter?

To me, he looks exactly the same, is moving the same and still looks off pace, when the ball hits the ground he is basically out of the contest. His second efforts are terrible and his defensive pressure is worse than Longer, Hickey, Marshall and Pierce - let alone the Forwards.

Why is there this notion that he looks or moves different?

Some say he looks leaner, some say he has gained size??
I reckon he looks and moves exactly as he did?

Hugh Goddard and Lewis Piece have completely changed
Goddard is much lighter (recognising he was too slow)
Pierce has gained over 10kg
Bailey Rice dropped 9kg (reported by Gilbee)
Mckenzie and Sinclair improved their Aerobic running by 15-20% in the off season

Billings and Paddy are in the bottom of the pack in that space

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Why on earth are we bumping threads that are 2 years old when there are plenty going around already writing McCartin off.

The way fans treat him I'm almost at the point where I hope he leaves and becomes a dominant player elsewhere just to shut everyone up.

Will he be a superstar - who knows?
Will he be a good honest player - Yes.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Petracca must have "interviewed" okay at the Demons - maybe they have looser/lower standards?

We don't want arrogant egotists who can play football in our team - Petracca's penetrating and unstoppable 60 metres passes to team mates in the clear (and in dangerous positions) smacks of arrogance. Good call - we dodged a bullet (pass)!

Petracca's AFL fantasy price is $455,000 vs McCartin's $250,000 -- that's just one more thing for the arrogant so-and-so to crow about!

Managing an ego (which could just be a healthy belief and pride in your abilities) vs managing diabetes.