Bruce v Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Bruce v Stanley

dragit wrote:Rhys is a late inclusion today - I hope he goes well.
+1

Went well v Freo last time.

noob
Club Player

The Stanley Trade has effectively made Bruce go from the defence to a full forward as well as requiring a CHB for 10 years in Hugh Goddard

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Feels like roo-kosi again, roo pushing up and kosi taking hangers and crashing for marks. I still like Stanley but he was very timid, also think he was asked to do a lot more around the ground than what is expected of Bruce. Very happy with Bruce and if he keeps this up our forward line has gone from a weakness to a strength, plenty of depth now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:The Stanley Trade has effectively made Bruce go from the defence to a full forward as well as requiring a CHB for 10 years in Hugh Goddard
Except that we were playing Bruce as a forward last season.

Plus we also have McCartin this seson who is purely a key forward.
Then there is Lee and White.

so Bruce has had to earn his go as beinga key forward on merit, both this season and last.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Rhys has 2 before half time, both from running on the half forward line. No marks; even though he is a good mark I reckon it was his uncanny ability to drop sitters that made the Saints send him across the bay.

Bruce is a different type of player, more a crash-through type. He, too, has had difficulty clutching marks. Last night he grabbed everything.

With confidence comes belief. Not only true for Josh Bruce but the whole team as last night demonstrated.

PS: Good luck to Rhys, he strained my belief but I hope he slays them at the Cats.

Saint supporter since '62
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stanley going well so far as a high forward against Freo with 2 goals .

RW&B
Club Player

gringo wrote: He is actually a pretty average kick usually but an incredible competitor. His work rate will win him fans, he runs down to stop the ball coming out like a terrier. He is obviously Hammill's pet as he seems to talk to Bruce more than any other player. A very good comparison player IMO. I think he is probably going to be a bit of Riewoldt will get lots of shots on goal so will score but a bit iffy with his set shots.
Spot on.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Rhys has 2 before half time, both from running on the half forward line. No marks; even though he is a good mark I reckon it was his uncanny ability to drop sitters that made the Saints send him across the bay.

Bruce is a different type of player, more a crash-through type. He, too, has had difficulty clutching marks. Last night he grabbed everything.

With confidence comes belief. Not only true for Josh Bruce but the whole team as last night demonstrated.

PS: Good luck to Rhys, he strained my belief but I hope he slays them at the Cats.

He's a nice guy and sometimes a restart gets you going. Hope he is the best player in a bad team. Cats time to fail.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Rhys has 2 before half time, both from running on the half forward line. No marks; even though he is a good mark I reckon it was his uncanny ability to drop sitters that made the Saints send him across the bay.

He's a nice guy and sometimes a restart gets you going. Hope he is the best player in a bad team. Cats time to fail.
Very true.

Geelong surprised me by finishing as high as they did last year; going out of the Finals in straight sets did not. After watching them today I can see their cracks are too wide to wallpaper over. Their great era appears behind them; Rhys has arrived just in time to be part of their slide. Unfortunate timing for him.

Saint supporter since '62
Playon
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Major difference is Bruce works harder to get the ball. He looks to have a huge amount of potential. And he is hard at it. I don't care who is better of the 2 but the one we now have is making hay whilst the sun shines, whatever that means.
The saying has been around for hundreds of years. It first appeared in 1546 in John Heywood’s A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tongue. Experts believe the phrase came from medieval English farmers.

Hundreds of years ago, it would take many days for farmers to cut, dry and gather hay. Today, it’s much easier to make hay because of our modern machinery and weather forecasting.

Since hay can be ruined easily if it gets too wet, medieval farmers had to take advantage of hot, dry, sunny weather to cut and gather hay. Thus, “make hay while the sun shines” was just a matter of common sense to them.

They eventually began to use the phrase generally to mean to take advantage of circumstances before the chance slips away.

This proverb, like so many others, offers good advice. Opportunities may only come along every so often.

- See more at: http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-y ... t3i6J.dpuf
Life is like a cumquat

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I only watched one quarter...and so cannot comment on how well he actually played. But stats wise he did better than Hawkins , the Cats main go-to player, and much better than Clark.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 12 Apr 2015 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well I only watched one quarter...and so cannot comment on how well he actually played. But sats wise he did better than Hawkins , the Cats main go-to player, and much better than Clark.
And he got muscled out of a boundary ruck contest by the human stick Zac Clarke

I think we made the right choice going forward
Last edited by Devilhead on Sun 12 Apr 2015 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well I only watched one quarter...and so cannot comment on how well he actually played. But sats wise he did better than Hawkins , the Cats main go-to player, and much better than Clark.
Which goes to show why they might have wanted him. Three towers of terror. Shame the rest are fading a bit. They seem to be ready for a slide finally.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce has done more in the last two matches than what Rhys Stanley ever did for St.Kilda FC.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
iceman
Club Player

I was an interested observer in the outer on Saturday night and to be honest have held the belief that Bruce will end up going to CHB/FB. I think 4 of his goals were from inside 15, 3 of then on pretty much the goal line, a few grabs from almost mis-kicks deep that no Hawthorn/Freo/PA/Syd etc. 'team defence' would ever allow. To me Bruce doesn't seen to have natural leading patterns up forward to go to the advantage of the kicker. 6 goals was an awesome return and he is willing to throw himself at the contest that creates chances for everyone around him too! I would love to see him continue this form and prove me wrong, however I still feel this is a bit of an experiment while the likes of McCartin and White develop and Fisher is able to hold down a post in defence. What he had done is create positive headaches for the coaching staff and list managers!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:I was an interested observer in the outer on Saturday night and to be honest have held the belief that Bruce will end up going to CHB/FB. I think 4 of his goals were from inside 15, 3 of then on pretty much the goal line, a few grabs from almost mis-kicks deep that no Hawthorn/Freo/PA/Syd etc. 'team defence' would ever allow. To me Bruce doesn't seen to have natural leading patterns up forward to go to the advantage of the kicker. 6 goals was an awesome return and he is willing to throw himself at the contest that creates chances for everyone around him too! I would love to see him continue this form and prove me wrong, however I still feel this is a bit of an experiment while the likes of McCartin and White develop and Fisher is able to hold down a post in defence. What he had done is create positive headaches for the coaching staff and list managers!
Interesting obs iceman. Not sure the last goal he kicked was the case. He turned May inside out like a pro I thought. That mark he took with 3 guys hanging off him in the 2nd quarter looked like a great fwds mark as well. This Friday will be my first game watching live so it'll be interesting to watch. I hope you're wrong because we desperately need a genuine second tall option up fwd.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We should never have wasted pick 13 on Lee. Criminally stupid decision.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well I only watched one quarter...and so cannot comment on how well he actually played. But stats wise he did better than Hawkins , the Cats main go-to player, and much better than Clark.
Clark is injured again isn't he?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We should never have wasted pick 13 on Lee. Criminally stupid decision.

criminal stupid being a saints fan and not knowing what we got in returns for pick 12!

iceman
Club Player

Moods wrote:
iceman wrote:I was an interested observer in the outer on Saturday night and to be honest have held the belief that Bruce will end up going to CHB/FB. I think 4 of his goals were from inside 15, 3 of then on pretty much the goal line, a few grabs from almost mis-kicks deep that no Hawthorn/Freo/PA/Syd etc. 'team defence' would ever allow. To me Bruce doesn't seen to have natural leading patterns up forward to go to the advantage of the kicker. 6 goals was an awesome return and he is willing to throw himself at the contest that creates chances for everyone around him too! I would love to see him continue this form and prove me wrong, however I still feel this is a bit of an experiment while the likes of McCartin and White develop and Fisher is able to hold down a post in defence. What he had done is create positive headaches for the coaching staff and list managers!
Interesting obs iceman. Not sure the last goal he kicked was the case. He turned May inside out like a pro I thought. That mark he took with 3 guys hanging off him in the 2nd quarter looked like a great fwds mark as well. This Friday will be my first game watching live so it'll be interesting to watch. I hope you're wrong because we desperately need a genuine second tall option up fwd.
Yep, agree he has willingness to fly and also instinct when near the footy, my observations were more referring to when the play was 2 or 3 contests away, further up the ground.. When to go, where to go etc! Didn't seem instinctive or natural with his running patterns when well away from the footy! I suppose when our other key forward is Roo who makes things look easy it' can become a harsher judgment.. Mind you if he can be a force within 30m from goal than its less relevant. I would love to be wrong also! Keen to hear thoughts after this weekend! (Also I may have been a few beers deep ;) )

gringo
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:
Moods wrote:
Yep, agree he has willingness to fly and also instinct when near the footy, my observations were more referring to when the play was 2 or 3 contests away, further up the ground.. When to go, where to go etc! Didn't seem instinctive or natural with his running patterns when well away from the footy! I suppose when our other key forward is Roo who makes things look easy it' can become a harsher judgment.. Mind you if he can be a force within 30m from goal than its less relevant. I would love to be wrong also! Keen to hear thoughts after this weekend! (Also I may have been a few beers deep ;) )
I remember last year watching Bruce in his first game forward. I was sitting on the boundary and he was in position and/ or leading to the right spots every time. He is so natural as a forward it got me excited. I don't know how he will handle the better defenders but so far this year he has had his share of contested marks in close and the speccies. Also can gather the ball and is quick off the mark. His biggest obstacle will be his set shot kicking. Occasionally he sprays them. Rooey and Members help too by pulling in different directions. That's why the Hawks hurt you. Roughy, Gunston, Hale/Mc Evoy can all swap who will draw their man and who will lead into dangerous spots. Gunston and Roughy can then get the hard angles right too if they happen to get kicked to.

Playon
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:We should never have wasted pick 13 on Lee. Criminally stupid decision.
With the shape of our list we needed to do "something" so to speed things up we played the numbers.
Not unlike roulette you can put all your chips on red or black and have a good chance of winning or scatter your chips on various numbers, which pays more "if you win".

It was always going to be that we will win some and lose some, in fact we don't even know yet if we've lost, broken even or won and wont know for some time yet. Overall it looks like we've done well but time will tell. Had certain things of the last trade not of happened we would of had Lee and White in the forward line. Both are now struggling to get a gig, personally if it as my choice I'd give White a go ahead of some others, but then I'm probably wrong. Do you remember what our forward line looked like when we recruited Lee? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is all over Stanley at the same age

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Bruce is all over Stanley at the same age

All over?
I wonder how many goals Bruce would have kicked if he was playing full back this year?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Bruce is all over Stanley at the same age

All over?
I wonder how many goals Bruce would have kicked if he was playing full back this year?
Dont worry about goals (even though they are important).

Hes got twice as many contested possies and twice as many tackles and 7 times more contested marks and more marks in general (much harder take marks inside 50 than down back).

Heck Bruce even equals him in hit outs.

So yeah hes all over him anyway you slice it or dice and adjusting for positions. Just all over him.