Bruce v Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bruce v Stanley

Yes we have found our permanent second forward. Josh Bruce.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O

To all you Stanley lovers. You know it.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bruce v Stanley

In his last two games he has to played better than Stanley ever did!

#1 Ryder fan
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Aggression, maniacal attack on the ball is the difference with Bruce. He may only kick another 20 goals for the season, but that approach of his will assist others around him.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Pretty sure Bruce is steadily ending Tom Lee's career in the process too

Go you red, black & white warriors
dragit
Saintsational Legend

While Bruce is looking awesome and has really surprised me... I don't think those stats are a great 'comparison' if we are talking about ruck/fwd

I imagine Stanley was playing full back at the "same age"? And we probably need more than 2 games from Bruce to get a decent average.

Bruce is super exciting though, I hope he can keep it up... Effort will never be a problem that's for sure.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The difference is one player can mark the ball and the other can't.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bruce v Stanley

From a small sample, Bruce does the majority of things better, he's a stronger mark, more intense around the contest, tackling, agility and footy smarts. Stanley is quicker running in a straight line and a longer and possibly more accurate kick.

The key difference to me though is Bruce's ability to create a contest and create opportunities for his teammates. Bruce could have a 6 possession no goal game and still have an impact.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

id rather have stanley kicking from anywhere near 50
dont think bruce has the best drop imo
but his hands seem better
i think stanleys prob was a bit of self belief
heard a couple of times that he just needed the confidence and was always a bit worried about cocking it up...which as we all know usually results in, cocking it up

bruce loves a mark
and i really really like roo around the ground, let him free i reckon, can run all day so let him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Major difference is Bruce works harder to get the ball. He looks to have a huge amount of potential. And he is hard at it. I don't care who is better of the 2 but the one we now have is making hay whilst the sun shines, whatever that means.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:Pretty sure Bruce is steadily ending Tom Lee's career in the process too
Apparently went okay after he left defence at Sandy. Lee probably more fighting with Membery for the mid sized forward role. Lee plays smaller than his height. Members got a bit of nerves up I think, Lee said Membery doesn't miss a shot and even better set shot than him.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think we now can understand why GWS was being so 'unreasonable' wanting 'overs' for him.

Pick what, 48 (?), great talent identification.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Major difference is Bruce works harder to get the ball. He looks to have a huge amount of potential. And he is hard at it. I don't care who is better of the 2 but the one we now have is making hay whilst the sun shines, whatever that means.
The saying has been around for hundreds of years. It first appeared in 1546 in John Heywood’s A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tongue. Experts believe the phrase came from medieval English farmers.

Hundreds of years ago, it would take many days for farmers to cut, dry and gather hay. Today, it’s much easier to make hay because of our modern machinery and weather forecasting.

Since hay can be ruined easily if it gets too wet, medieval farmers had to take advantage of hot, dry, sunny weather to cut and gather hay. Thus, “make hay while the sun shines” was just a matter of common sense to them.

They eventually began to use the phrase generally to mean to take advantage of circumstances before the chance slips away.

This proverb, like so many others, offers good advice. Opportunities may only come along every so often.

- See more at: http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-y ... t3i6J.dpuf

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:I think we now can understand why GWS was being so 'unreasonable' wanting 'overs' for him.

Pick what, 48 (?), great talent identification.
Did it really go down like that?

The bloke wanted to leave and play for us. We only had a pick in the 40s left. He would have walked regardless.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:The difference is one player can mark the ball and the other can't.
I don't understand why people can't take some joy from Bruce's outstanding performances without sinking the boot into someone else.

Stanley was 17th in the league for contested marks last year in only 19 games. He averaged more contested marks than Riewoldt, Cloke, Westhoff or Roughead.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintjake
Club Player

What draft pick was Bruce? I can't find it anywhere

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
perfectionist wrote:The difference is one player can mark the ball and the other can't.
I don't understand why people can't take some joy from Bruce's outstanding performances without sinking the boot into someone else.

Stanley was 17th in the league for contested marks last year in only 19 games. He averaged more contested marks than Riewoldt, Cloke, Westhoff or Roughead.

I agree, Stanley still has time to become a very effective player. Bad form to gloat early. You can end up looking foolish.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:What draft pick was Bruce? I can't find it anywhere

He was a local boy so was a pre listing deal so a freebie to GWS. We swapped a late pick like 48 or something.

FQF
SS Life Member

Although similar heights, builds, attributes, they are very different players. Bruce is a stand and deliver, bash and crash type pack marker. Stanley take almost all of his marks out in front on a lead.

If you had to pick one over the other it would be a tough call. But one thing that Bruce has shown and that many of us wanted Stanley to show for many years is aggressive play. And not feigned aggression but real maniacal hunger for the contest. You either have that or you don't.

saintjake
Club Player

gringo wrote:

He was a local boy so was a pre listing deal so a freebie to GWS. We swapped a late pick like 48 or something.

Thanks Gringo,
I thought it had to be something like that.
Would really love to know where he was rated in the open field.
Tall, athletic, agressive seemingly has some really strong hands and his set shot looks like you could bank your house on it

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am happy the way the Stanley deal worked out in us getting Goddard. Thank you Blues!

However if Stanley was still on our list he would mesh in very nicely with Bruce at Full Forward, Roo playing wherever he likes and Stanley playing as a high forward/ CHF/ second ruck.

While Stanley is very quick, he is not quick on the burst, and so is less suited to playing as a Full Forward. So running around the half forward wing zone where he can use he pace on the run is more what suits him.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 12 Apr 2015 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
gringo wrote:

Thanks Gringo,
I thought it had to be something like that.
Would really love to know where he was rated in the open field.
Tall, athletic, agressive seemingly has some really strong hands and his set shot looks like you could bank your house on it

He is actually a pretty average kick usually but an incredible competitor. His work rate will win him fans, he runs down to stop the ball coming out like a terrier. He is obviously Hammill's pet as he seems to talk to Bruce more than any other player. A very good comparison player IMO. I think he is probably going to be a bit of Riewoldt will get lots of shots on goal so will score but a bit iffy with his set shots.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They were some pretty great pack busting marks he took last night.

Very Pluggeresque and very, very exciting.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote:Pretty sure Bruce is steadily ending Tom Lee's career in the process too
very true. Tom and Spence would be a little worried.

Regards o stanley, i liked him a lot prayed he would become what Bruce has doing. o well things dont work out. good news we have the rising star and cats had the left overs. good luck to Stanley. hope Bruce just grows and grows. Bonus is Goddard looking forward to seeing him in the seniors.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

I think Stanley deserves a spot in the Cats 22 ahead of Dawson Simpson at the moment. In a forward line behind Hawkins and Clarke, he could really shine.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rhys is a late inclusion today - I hope he goes well.