Bruce v Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bruce v Stanley

hayes66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:Stanley is a hack. How we could waste pick 47 on him is a joke. When we could of picked, Taylor Hunt, Neville Jetta, Michael Walters, Tom Lee, Luke Lowden and Shane Savage.
Previous administration had no idea.

I hope that post is a joke. It has all the signs.
Joke!!!

Well let's look at what was stated: Previous administration (recruiting) had no idea: I would think nearly 100% of people on here would agree with that.
Michael Walters we could have: 100% would agree Walters is better than Stanley.
Hunt, Jetta and Savage: I would guess most on here would agree with that.
The rest, Lee and Lowden some would rate them higher than Stanley.
So i would think looking at who we could of had the majority would say, "We wasted pick 47."
Stanley a hack: Well a lot of here have stated words to that effect.

Joke, what part? I am taking the majority view.

Firstly the joke of Lee and Lowden and secondly fancy a club getting pick 47 wrong. Anyway we didn't because we got about pick 21 for him. I could go back over every single club of every single year and find there were better players than a player around that pick. Anyway apart from Walters the rest are ho hum anyway. Im guessing the majority view is they think your post is a joke. How do you say you are taking the majority view. I haven't seen many if any say he was a wasted pick at pick 47. Nice term hack anyway. Was he a hack last year and who are our hacks we now have.
So, am i correct in assuming you think he was a reasonable pick at 47?
Yes for sure. 100% reasonable.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:Stanley is a hack. How we could waste pick 47 on him is a joke. When we could of picked, Taylor Hunt, Neville Jetta, Michael Walters, Tom Lee, Luke Lowden and Shane Savage.
Congratulations, this is truly one of the shittest posts of all time.

Even if you think Stanley is a complete hack, we just converted him into a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK.

Goddard touted as a top ten pick, if he lives up to that then you could say that drafting then trading Stanley was one of the great moves. 47 -> top 10 talent.

Ridiculous pointing to players taken later in the draft, it happens every single year.

Lowden & Neville Jetta - seriously?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Congratulations, this is truly one of the shittest posts of all time.

Even if you think Stanley is a complete hack, we just converted him into a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK.

Goddard touted as a top ten pick, if he lives up to that then you could say that drafting then trading Stanley was one of the great moves. 47 -> top 10 talent.

Ridiculous pointing to players taken later in the draft, it happens every single year.

Lowden & Neville Jetta - seriously?

Agree even if you hate Rhys swapping him allowed us to get a guy who 12 months out from the draft was the favourite to go pick 1 in the draft. If he is as terrible as everyone says then we just swapped a packet of 2 minute noodles for a 4 course meal at a good restaurant. Anyway I think he's taking the piss. It was a joke post was'nt it?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You also have to take hindsight out of the equation...

The pick is based on the info available at the time. Rhys was a good given his attributes and potential

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I think Stanley was good for us as it meant we won something on Grand Final Day - The Grand Final sprint.

I don't see Bruce doing that.

But I'd rather have Bruce than Stanley from what I've seen so far, IMHO.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Who was funnier, Jun-fan(Bruce) Lee or Arthur(Stanley) Jefferson?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I think Stanley was good for us as it meant we won something on Grand Final Day - The Grand Final sprint.

I liked Rhys, he has ability but no self belief.

I hope he succeeds down at Geelong. That would be a win win situation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I think Stanley was good for us as it meant we won something on Grand Final Day - The Grand Final sprint.

Agreed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Agreed.
:D

bergsone
SS Life Member

imo he was starting to show a bit in the ruck and around the ground,so was surprised when we traded him out.Makes sense when we picked up Paddy tho,but think he shows more forward than Hickey and Longer do
Bruce seems a better forward option but not sure he can cut it as 2nd ruck

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:imo he was starting to show a bit in the ruck and around the ground,so was surprised when we traded him out.Makes sense when we picked up Paddy tho,but think he shows more forward than Hickey and Longer do
Bruce seems a better forward option but not sure he can cut it as 2nd ruck
I think this was the dilemma. Bruce is not a 2nd ruckman's bootlace and is more at home in the forward line while Stanley was great as that 2nd ruck option but no good up forward (for us at least). And Hickey or Longer don't look any good up forward either. It's a conundrum where we get that 2nd ruckman from.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
4ever_saint
Club Player

My feeling with Rhys Stanley is that he had 3 coaches and a lot of time and effort put into him during his tenure at St Kilda. He showed glimpses but was never consistent. He could end up being a powerhouse forward at Geelong BUT he never showed that he could be that at St Kilda.

I think they figured (rightly so) that it was worth the risk to trade him out rather than persevere with him. Due to his age, we were able to get a great pick for him. Had we persevered for another two years, he would have been two years older and his value would have decreased substantially. Not to mention, the offer from Geelong was too good to refuse. We got away with highway robbery on that deal!

I'm not sure about Bruce in the ruck, but he's a much better option up forward and (hopefully- as it did for Stanley) the rucking will come.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote:My feeling with Rhys Stanley is that he had 3 coaches and a lot of time and effort put into him during his tenure at St Kilda. He showed glimpses but was never consistent. He could end up being a powerhouse forward at Geelong BUT he never showed that he could be that at St Kilda.

I think they figured (rightly so) that it was worth the risk to trade him out rather than persevere with him. Due to his age, we were able to get a great pick for him. Had we persevered for another two years, he would have been two years older and his value would have decreased substantially. Not to mention, the offer from Geelong was too good to refuse. We got away with highway robbery on that deal!

I'm not sure about Bruce in the ruck, but he's a much better option up forward and (hopefully- as it did for Stanley) the rucking will come.
I dont think Geelong will even try to use Rhys as a fwd. They seem to see him as a Ruck or nothing which is probably an accurate assessment.
The fact is he never kicked goals as a junior fwd or a sanfl fwd or a vfl fwd so it was a huge stretch to imagine him making it as a fwd in the afl.

Hopefully Rhys makes it as a good solid ordinary ruckman who plays 100-150 career games and Bruce makes it as a fwd and kicks 400 career goals.
Then we will all be happy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Jesus we need to see how Bruce performs after just FOUR games. Lets try 14 or even 40. Everyone creams their jeans on such small sample size these days. Hogan is the next Jono Brown apparently. Its not surprise that after he stuck his head up with his superb performance he's been much more closely marked. His ability to work through that, keep being a threat and focal presence over a duration will define him as a forward not a one off haul. I still worry about his ability have real impact as a forward rather than just a bit player. Taking species if fine but hitting packs hard, getting clean air on leads, making forwards sweat bullets so multiple of them go up in packs opening up other players is what is really valuable as a forward. Josh needs to really keep up the intensity and workrate with Roo out because that's what it will be like in a couple of years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Jesus we need to see how Bruce performs after just FOUR games. Lets try 14 or even 40. Everyone creams their jeans on such small sample size these days. Hogan is the next Jono Brown apparently. Its not surprise that after he stuck his head up with his superb performance he's been much more closely marked. His ability to work through that, keep being a threat and focal presence over a duration will define him as a forward not a one off haul. I still worry about his ability have real impact as a forward rather than just a bit player. Taking species if fine but hitting packs hard, getting clean air on leads, making forwards sweat bullets so multiple of them go up in packs opening up other players is what is really valuable as a forward. Josh needs to really keep up the intensity and workrate with Roo out because that's what it will be like in a couple of years.

I agree, I was pissing myself how the journos were saying the Hawks should just get the trophy up front....after round one. FFS perspective would be good. I remember a Pies mate saying that Dawes was going to be better than Plugger. He conveniently forgets he said that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't think anyone is creaming their jeans just saying Bruce is clearly a better fwd than Rhys.
Pants remaining on, fastened, up-tight and dry.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

PHEW! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I don't think anyone is creaming their jeans just saying Bruce is clearly a better fwd than Rhys.
Get a tissue con would ya. 8-)

Serious question: What kind of pick do you think we would get for Bruce if trade week was next week?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I don't think anyone is creaming their jeans just saying Bruce is clearly a better fwd than Rhys.

Serious question: What kind of pick do you think we would get for Bruce if trade week was next week?

Ist round.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Probably get something around 10 to 15 I think. KP forwards are hard to find. Equal fourth goal scorer in the AFL. Armo is way up there on disposals this year too. Lucky we didn't off load him cheaply like some wanted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:

Probably get something around 10 to 15 I think. KP forwards are hard to find. Equal fourth goal scorer in the AFL. Armo is way up there on disposals this year too. Lucky we didn't off load him cheaply like some wanted.
At this rate Bruce would be a pick 1.
21 (Goddard) for Rhys was so good for us. It was 'overs' .

SuperDuper
Club Player

well this thread can be closed now... it is not a fair contest

unless of course people want to keep it open to gloat

Bruce is a genuine KPF on any scale. Right up there with the best in the comp, as reflected by the Colman medal tally this year

SuperDuper
Club Player

I recon some people are at least getting pretty darn excited

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
I recon some people are at least getting pretty darn excited
My pants are off.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Mine are in the wash