McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

Its more than a game Doc...

footy show told me.

saintvic
Club Player

I am undecided as to who the club should pick, Petracca looks like he will just keep getting better once he has had a few pre seasons in him, but McCartin is also impressive.
I remember watching some games last year that both he and Boyd played in, I definitely thought Mc Cartin was the more impressive of the two, especially considering he was a year younger.
I have been trying to find footage of those games with no luck :(

No matter who we pick I dont think we can lose, a great position to be in :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Lots of unproven rubbish being written about McCartin by people who have not seen Paddy play.

A lot of that centres on his diabetes and his height (in the absolute meltdown that’s going on at the moment I’ve actually read comments comparing this 193.7cm, 95 kg forward with 188cm players such as Membrey & Marksworth :shock: )

Anyway, in the interests of balance, let me add some unproven rubbish about Petracca by someone who has not seen Christian play :wink:

According to some, Paddy is a certainty to be a bust. According to some (mostly the same people), Christian is a “once in a generation” player.

However there is a school of thought that Brayshaw is CP’s equal. There is a school of thought that Heeney (Swans Academy pick) is even better. There is a school of thought that some mids in next year’s Draft are better again. That doesn’t suggest he’s a “once in a generation” player to me (unless we are of course talking about very short generations :wink: ).

There are queries in regards to CP’s foot skills; they’re not elite. “So what” you say? For a #1 midfielder I (and many others) would say they should be.

Okay, what else have we got?

He’s got wonky hips.

He’s got psych issues.

He’s a FIGJAM.

His dad is a more psycho version of Damir Dokic.

One of CP’s greatest supporters is Dave McNamara. He’s actually quite obsessed by him. One of Dave’s favourite comments is to label someone as a “Sainta”. This is to add weight to things such as the AFL and ALP building JO, or a gun FA coming to us next year. It’s gonna happen because they’re “Saintas”.

Not having a go Dave, but it must be acknowledged that such loyalty is not limited to the RW&B.

CP is a “Magpie”. If we get him and he blitzes his first 2 years, what’s he gonna do when Eddie comes a calling, offering huge money, the captaincy of the CFC and the chance to be a club legend (it is of course a huge stretch to think McGuire would do such a thing but play along with me here)? What’s he gonna do???

In summary, selecting McCartin may involve some risks but so does selecting Petracca. He ain't the bullet proof selection some are depicting him to be.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Good post Jimmy. Who do you like at 21, 22 & 41?

howlinwolf
Club Player

I am happy to leave this up to the club.
I pay my money and I expect professionalism in the recruitment. If I didn't believe they were better prepared and skilled to choose No.1 than I or anyone on this forum I would not pay my membership.

There's a huge upside for choosing either CP or PM but we can't have both.
So it comes down to particular needs for our club. Another club may have different priorities.

If PM ends up being an absolute gun and we pick up a great mid or two next year what's there to panic about ?

If it is PM we pick he is going to feel very welcomed to the club reading this thread !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I have not laughed so much for a while as reading this thread. Thank you Saintsational.

There are people on here behaving like spoilt 5 year olds. "I want a red bike, Waahhh. Blue bikes are rubbish everybody knows that"
Someone even said that he wouldn't even select McCartin as a rookie. Well that pretty much discounted everything that poster said from that point onwards.

I don't know who we will get but I will speculate that they will be a good solid footballer at a minimum but probably not the best player from this draft.
If it is McCartin great we get a Fev like leading forward without the d**khead factor if it is Petracca we get a Dustin Martin clone also good.

Calm down people, if this stops you sleeping at night get a mortgage.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Posted by St.Mark over at bf
St Mark, post: 36227449, member: 145924 wrote:In 9 hours, we find out if Petracca is a very driven, highly talented gun and McCartin is a fat, one dimensional lump, or if McCartin is the second coming of Plugger and Petracca is an arrogant s***!

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:I have not laughed so much for a while as reading this thread. Thank you Saintsational.

There are people on here behaving like spoilt 5 year olds. "I want a red bike, Waahhh. Blue bikes are rubbish everybody knows that"
Someone even said that he wouldn't even select McCartin as a rookie. Well that pretty much discounted everything that poster said from that point onwards.

I don't know who we will get but I will speculate that they will be a good solid footballer at a minimum but probably not the best player from this draft.
If it is McCartin great we get a Fev like leading forward without the d**khead factor if it is Petracca we get a Dustin Martin clone also good.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think you make a good point sincity.
Chances are niether these two blokes will be the best player in this years draft. It might be someone at pick 7 or 12 or whatever or someone already picked (Heeney or Moore).
As long as hes a solid-good player Ill be happy.
We dont need a messiah - we need 20 good players and about 10 very good players.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 27 Nov 2014 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:I have not laughed so much for a while as reading this thread. Thank you Saintsational.

Interesting listening to the radio where the commentary appears a lot more level headed. Even some Demon supporters who are spewing we might pick McCartin cos they wanted him to go with Brayshaw (as opposed to 2 mids).

However there was one caller last night who absolutely teed off on SEN. His spray rivalled anything read on these pages!

He was a kid. He wouldv'e been lucky to be 10 years old. :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Interesting listening to the radio where the commentary appears a lot more level headed. Even some Demon supporters who are spewing we might pick McCartin cos they wanted him to go with Brayshaw (as opposed to 2 mids).

However there was one caller last night who absolutely teed off on SEN. His spray rivalled anything read on these pages!

He was a kid. He wouldv'e been lucky to be 10 years old. :wink:
What was his spray about?

I just hope someone explodes a microwave.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think you make a good point sincity.
Chances are niether these two blokes will be the best player in this years draft. It might be someone at pick 7 or 12 or whatever or someone already picked (Heeney or Moore).
As long as hes a solid-good player Ill be happy.
We dont need a messiah - we need 20 good players and about 10 very good players.
Sorry Con,but that's garbage. Why deliberately bottom out and give away stars of the club,just so we can recruit solid-good players with our first pick? We could of done that by finishing 9th and putting a side out on the park that's up to AFL standard,not the embarrassing performances we currently have to sit through.

If you deliberately bottom out,and clear out the list beyond recognition,you want to be nailing number one pick as an elite player,not a solid/good player.
McCartin needs to be elite,or we sat through a year of garbage for nothing,another wooden spoon for nothing

Bring back the Lockett era
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

I just had a chat with both Balme and Beveridge and the consensus is McCartin will be number 1.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

After sleeping over this dilemma, I have now flip-flopped and come to realisation that our main priority is to get a tall forward, rather than a midfielder. McCartin has been held in just as high esteem as Petracca. Not only that, the club has not been criticised in the apparent latest developments that McCartin will be selected at number 1, which I find reassuring. There has been no suggestion that we'd be "nuts" not to select Petracc.

There is, of course, the factor that tall forwards are far harder to come by than midfielders. After Roo retires, who will be our main focal point up forward? Sure, we could hedge our bets by getting Petracca and seeing if there are tall forwards in the market in a year's time. The problem with that is there are no guarantees. Not to mention, if we were to get a tall forward from another club, it's pretty likely we'll be paying overs for them.

I am now placing my trust in the club's judgement of selecting the best available at first pick who suits our team the most. We have been given this gift for finishing at last place. Tonight will be our biggest win for 2014.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:After sleeping over this dilemma, I have now flip-flopped and come to realisation that our main priority is to get a tall forward, rather than a midfielder. McCartin has been held in just as high esteem as Petracca. Not only that, the club has not been criticised in the apparent latest developments that McCartin will be selected at number 1, which I find reassuring. There has been no suggestion that we'd be "nuts" not to select Petracc.

There is, of course, the factor that tall forwards are far harder to come by than midfielders. After Roo retires, who will be our main focal point up forward? Sure, we could hedge our bets by getting Petracca and seeing if there are tall forwards in the market in a year's time. The problem with that is there are no guarantees. Not to mention, if we were to get a tall forward from another club, it's pretty likely we'll be paying overs for them.

I am now placing my trust in the club's judgement of selecting the best available at first pick who suits our team the most. We have been given this gift for finishing at last place. Tonight will be our biggest win for 2014.
Welcome back. Should be fine.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Sainternist wrote:After sleeping over this dilemma, I have now flip-flopped and come to realisation that our main priority is to get a tall forward, rather than a midfielder. McCartin has been held in just as high esteem as Petracca. Not only that, the club has not been criticised in the apparent latest developments that McCartin will be selected at number 1, which I find reassuring. There has been no suggestion that we'd be "nuts" not to select Petracc.

Cheers, Satch!

Either of the two lads will be a huge inclusion for the club. Then we'll get two more guns with the 20th and 21st picks. It'll be a WIN-WIN and another WIN.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Cheers, Satch!

Either of the two lads will be a huge inclusion for the club. Then we'll get two more guns with the 20th and 21st picks. It'll be a WIN-WIN and another WIN.
Don't forget our steal at 41 ("we can't believe he slipped so far") :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

As long as we stick hard to the best player strategy and arent swayed by external factors and logical fallacies.

If we think

a) oh we have pick 1 we better get a key fwd now because they are hard to get

or

b) Oh this guys is a bit like Roughead and Roughead is a champion

then we have made a mistake.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:As long as we stick hard to the best player strategy and arent swayed by external factors and logical fallacies.

If we think

or

No, I believe pragmatism will be the major factor in who we select. The people making these decision are professionals. They can't afford to make irrational decisions. Their integrity and livelihoods depend on it.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:As long as we stick hard to the best player strategy and arent swayed by external factors and logical fallacies.

If we think

or

No, I believe pragmatism will be the major factor in who we select. The people making these decision are professionals. They can't afford to make irrational decisions. Their integrity and livelihoods depend on it.
Consensus is McCartin at 1.

I just asked Chris Scott who was having a coffee with Scott Clayton downstairs.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

SEN have two blokes on who specialise in the draft. They said they have seen most of these players for the last four years, so have also seen the kids for the upcoming drafts.

They said there are very few key forwards coming through in the next two years - and those coming through are not elite quality.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What time does the meltdown start?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:What time does the meltdown start?
Two days ago.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i do believe it's 1730

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
minneapolis wrote:
1. See what Richo said a few hours ago abut the cost of full-forwards. That's the Saints war room logic right there.
Isn't the flaw in this logic that is if McCartin is any good he can not renew after two years and go to a club with a lazy mill a year to offer him?

I think it is not a thought through argument. We put two year into McCartin, WCE for example offer him a mill for 7 years, we cant match it, they pick him up as a DFA.

We are again down on a quality FF and don't have Petracca either.

I don't buy it.
I don't see any reason why a 15 year contract can not be offered with payments based on future performance measures.
At least do what they do in world of international soccer.
A player is never allowed to have less than one year on his contract left to run.
If he does not renew he is traded.
He never gets into a position where he can refuse to re-sign and thus come out of contract.

This re-signing a player during the final year of his contract or even worse at the end of the season is UNPROFESSIONAL on behalf of the administration.
But then our clubs are run by amateurs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.