McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

Started?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Started?

No but it will.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Started?

No but it will.
7pm?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
jaxons wrote:
chook23 wrote:jaxons is in the house......

what is the gos
My gos is dont believe the rumours or phantom drafts!
Truth is they don't know.
Do you know?

and has it changed?
Yes I know.
It hasn't changed from last Thursday.
Not sure if jaxons was right or wrong here. It sounds like he/she was wrong to me.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
jaxons wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
jaxons wrote:
chook23 wrote:jaxons is in the house......

what is the gos
My gos is dont believe the rumours or phantom drafts!
Truth is they don't know.
Do you know?

and has it changed?
Yes I know.
It hasn't changed from last Thursday.
Not sure if jaxons was right or wrong here. It sounds like he/she was wrong to me.

Well 5 people knew and I doubt he is one of them or if he is he shouldn't be posting on here.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Paddy and Richo just interviewed on Sunrise.

Note to AR - Paddy is a selfless player, not a selfish player!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Paddy and Richo just interviewed on Sunrise.

Note to AR - Paddy is a selfless player, not a selfish player! Image
I think AR might be losing it. This is what the Herald Sun reported he said about Paddy:

“He is here for the long term, not to win the Norwich (sic) Rising Star.”

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

HS article, on McCartin training pre-draft, to get himeslf "ready to go" for pre season.

"in the Falcons’ Highton gym, Critchley put McCartin through an hour-and-a-half of hell, three times a week in the lead-up to the national draft.
And not once, over the two months of “super high intensity workouts”, did the prized goalkicker complain, or ask for a break.
“You could sell tickets to the workouts, they were that intense,” Critchley said.
“We would box for 90 minutes-plus and in that time he might only be resting for four or five minutes, for the whole session.

"Critchley said he kept the Saints updated constantly.
“I would be giving them feedback on exactly where we are at and what we are doing and how hard he is pushing,” Critchley said.
“And giving a really in-depth and detailed character reference."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/afl-dr ... 7138744567

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Emma Quayle has nailed it again
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1s77k.html
but when he was told he had to be injected with insulin every day for the rest of his life, told his mother not to worry. "I'm going to take care of it," he said, "by myself."
That hasn't changed: McCartin stayed on the ground after he was injured in the final, and did everything he could to keep the ball in his team's half even though he could barely move. But he has learnt to say no, to not spread himself too thin and to realise that he can be part of a team even if it's not sensible to be cramming in every possible game.

"As a kid you just want to play every weekend and do the right thing by everyone, and when you get older you find out it's not the smartest thing you can do. I've always loved being part of the group environment and I feel like I'm letting the other boys down if I'm not there all the time, but I think that's a pretty natural thing to feel. The thing I learnt was that you have to get to know everyone as well as you can," he said.

"It's easier to move between groups if you don't have your one little group of friends and if you're getting around talking to everyone, and showing your face instead of fading away and not being a part of things."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Goddard Magic wrote:Unnecessary swipe at Petracca if true.

Could bite us in the rear end one day.
You must be happy we have picked up another Goddard. Now you don't have to change your user name. :lol:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Goddard Magic wrote:Unnecessary swipe at Petracca if true.

Could bite us in the rear end one day.
“He is here for the long term, not to win the Norwich (sic) Rising Star.”

Richo's veiled swipe at Petracca.

Maybe Petracca turned the Saints off.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I just read this entire post, and i think the main argument people were making against McCartin (and in favour of Petracca) was that, more or less, petracca is a better individual player than McCartin (i.e, more likely to win a brownlow). But I think (at least, I hope) that even those who vehemently said this can now see that McCartin is a better player for the team we are building. He'll offer an intimidatory, protector-type presence over the boys that Petracca, I believe, most certainly is not capable of. I see Paddy as the sort of bloke who'll bring the whole team closer together - I think Petracca may have possibly had a splintering effect... easy to say now that we've chosen our man, i know, but

McCartin is the next Lockett I can feel it his name has that ring to it...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I think he is more the Kosi type hitting packs hard with his contested marking, but more mobile, a smarter forward and better leading patterns and definitely better below his knees BUT not a pinch hit ruckman. Looks like a hell of a good bloke. He and Goddard already have a mateship that Roo and Kosi developed and built a team around. Fingers crossed he builds an AFL tank and has a good run with injuries.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

hungry for a premiership wrote:I just read this entire post, and i think the main argument people were making against McCartin (and in favour of Petracca) was that, more or less, petracca is a better individual player than McCartin (i.e, more likely to win a brownlow). But I think (at least, I hope) that even those who vehemently said this can now see that McCartin is a better player for the team we are building. He'll offer an intimidatory, protector-type presence over the boys that Petracca, I believe, most certainly is not capable of. I see Paddy as the sort of bloke who'll bring the whole team closer together - I think Petracca may have possibly had a splintering effect... easy to say now that we've chosen our man, i know, but

McCartin is the next Lockett I can feel it his name has that ring to it...
I'm with you Hungry. Think McCartin will be very good for us.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I know a lot will argue that the traditional big forward has a lesser role than 10 years ago...that may be the case...but I'm a simple man and football in my mind is a simple game..if we have draft our next plugger then I for one am pumped! A stay at home power forward that bashes packs and is lighting quick on the 20 metre lead..?! I'll take that any day of the week!

#1 Ryder fan
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:I know a lot will argue that the traditional big forward has a lesser role than 10 years ago...that may be the case...but I'm a simple man and football in my mind is a simple game..if we have draft our next plugger then I for one am pumped! A stay at home power forward that bashes packs and is lighting quick on the 20 metre lead..?! I'll take that any day of the week!
It's funny but probably a lot of those fans that are arguing that today's game is all about mids are the same ones who have spent the last few seasons bemoaning Hawthorn games, because "Franklin & Roughhead will destroy us"; Richmond games, because "Riewoldt always kicks a bag on us"; Geelong games, because "we haven't got a match up for Hawkins" etc etc etc

The role of the big key forward may have diminished a little however it has not disappeared completely as some may have us believe.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I got used to drafting McCartin, but what really made the draft was getting Goddard in concert with McCartin.

A wonderful draft for us.

Admittedly we need to fix areas everywhere, but the outcome of the trading/draft was substantial

Gain
McCartin
Goddard
McKenzie
Lonie
Membrey

loss
Stanley.

McCartin and Goddard are very promising KPP's
McKenzie adds some sought after midfield pace
Lonie is a small forward which we lack
Membrey is a mid sized forward that should compliment our Key Position forwards.

We really needed to consolidate on last year and getting McCartin was the foundation.

McCarting and Goddard have been the best draft KPP's we have selected since Roo/Kosi fourteen years ago.

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Hate to do it, but:
bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."
That's such a bulls*** line of reasoning from the club. If you've got a good midfield you don't need a superstar forward, just a solid one. There's plenty of solid key forwards in the comp. Think about Podsiadly or Petrie or Schulz or Jenkins. Two of those guys were traded, one was a rookie at 29, one was drafted in the 20s and didn't really play key forward until his 10th season. All of them without exception kick goals because they've got good or great midfields kicking them the ball.

Signing a key forward now just in case we happen to have a good enough midfield in five years for it to matter is idiotic. It's a recipe for making sure that we'll be irrelevant in five years and won't have a great midfield OR a good key forward.
Right now it's looking like I was pretty close back in 2014 (along with many others in this thread).

Trixilver
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Tue 25 Nov 2014 4:06pm
Jacks Back wrote:
Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake. After this year how can we not see it's more important that your midfield can pass the ball as opposed to your forwards being able to make an awful pass look OK. It just doesn't work like that.
True, we got rid of Lockett one year and played in the grand final the next, Mind you we lost that one.
Add to this that we had perhaps the greatest CHF of all time playing one of, if not, his best years. We finished bottom.

With Lenny retiring it would be absolute madness to not draft a strong, tall mid like Petracca. Who can play forward anyway!
It's so creepy seeing Alan Richardson in a melbourne kit hugging Petracca with a norm smith around his neck. It was like a fever dream watching him rip that final apart.

I don't really want to dig up old threads just for the sake of it - we all know there are countless threads on this subject which will be. But man, watching that final as a saints fan hurt more than I thought it would. Even their stats the pop up during the game they found a way to relate it back to us - no team has ever lost a final from leading at 3/4 time? Except for St Kilda in 2009.

Oh btw, if we decide to use a first round draft pick TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. If you're not sure who it is just jump on some internet forums.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:36am
Trixilver wrote: Tue 25 Nov 2014 4:06pm
Jacks Back wrote:
Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake. After this year how can we not see it's more important that your midfield can pass the ball as opposed to your forwards being able to make an awful pass look OK. It just doesn't work like that.
True, we got rid of Lockett one year and played in the grand final the next, Mind you we lost that one.
Add to this that we had perhaps the greatest CHF of all time playing one of, if not, his best years. We finished bottom.

With Lenny retiring it would be absolute madness to not draft a strong, tall mid like Petracca. Who can play forward anyway!
It's so creepy seeing Alan Richardson in a melbourne kit hugging Petracca with a norm smith around his neck. It was like a fever dream watching him rip that final apart.

I don't really want to dig up old threads just for the sake of it - we all know there are countless threads on this subject which will be. But man, watching that final as a saints fan hurt more than I thought it would. Even their stats the pop up during the game they found a way to relate it back to us - no team has ever lost a final from leading at 3/4 time? Except for St Kilda in 2009.

Oh btw, if we decide to use a first round draft pick TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. If you're not sure who it is just jump on some internet forums.
hear, hear!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What a colossal f*** up.
Knee jerk reaction to appoint Richardson as coach and a knee jerk reaction to recruit McCartin. What a bunch of looneys!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Don't think I will ever recover if we take McCartin and he flops while Petracca becomes the gun that everybody is predicting.

We don't want to risk taking a raging bull mid/fwd with a hip problem, but we'll take the chance on an overweight, diabetic & injury prone full forward that is 3 inches shorter than the other key forwards coming through the system.

I'll be gutted if this happens.
What an absolutely heartbreaking post... I know you’re still around dragit though you don’t post much anymore - did this really destroy you. Oh dear

What’s incredibly funny and sad about this thread is the sheer number of forumites that didn’t believe it because they thought it was just sheer stupidity...
It ain’t just one or two either.

Also really emphasis how critical it is to get your top picks right. Need to know an elite talent when you see one

Glad to see that I was on the right side of this one

ace
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote: Mon 24 Nov 2014 5:40pm Looks like we're taking him. Very surprised.
F-ing idiots.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And the revisionists go around these days saying it was a close call between the 2 and people were happy with Paddy at the time… lol

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:01am
dragit wrote:Don't think I will ever recover if we take McCartin and he flops while Petracca becomes the gun that everybody is predicting.

We don't want to risk taking a raging bull mid/fwd with a hip problem, but we'll take the chance on an overweight, diabetic & injury prone full forward that is 3 inches shorter than the other key forwards coming through the system.

I'll be gutted if this happens.
What an absolutely heartbreaking post... I know you’re still around dragit though you don’t post much anymore - did this really destroy you. Oh dear

What’s incredibly funny and sad about this thread is the sheer number of forumites that didn’t believe it because they thought it was just sheer stupidity...
It ain’t just one or two either.

Also really emphasis how critical it is to get your top picks right. Need to know an elite talent when you see one

Glad to see that I was on the right side of this one
Spot on.

When did Dragit write that?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.