Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Con Gorozidis wrote:
remboy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7258965622

This might change things a bit.
Once Andrews got in things looked grim for the JO. It seemed Matthew Guy was the best opportunity to make that happen.
No way Andrews was going to give us a leg up.
The real villain in all of this remains one man. Archie effing Fraser.
There was never any compelling reason to leave Moorabbin in the first place.
You make a couple of very good points Con. But unfortunately we did. And we haven't played a game in anger at Moorabbin for 23 years, so I think it is about time we looked forward. While I think it is important that we remember our mistakes and learn from them, there is also something to be said for living your life looking forward if you want to be a pacesetter. While the Junction would have been nice, it was always going to be awkward with the issues of Cricket Victoria and the St Kilda CC itself. That was made very clear.
Moorabbin was good for it's time, but a quarter of a century later I don't forget the hidings we used to get there. Even the last full bore practice game we played there was a twenty-five goal loss in the early 2000s to North!! I live in Kingston and grew up in the 70s and 80s watching us there, and getting a lucky burger after the game and all that stuff. But that time is gawn. The issues at Moorabbin are the Council, pure and simple, and that isn't going to change. They never gave us due recognition for the profile having an AFL club gave the place then, and they won't do it now.
I want the club to focus on player retention and development first, club marketing/membership/sponsorship second, and recruiting third. We have a training base at Seaford and I get a bit bored with hearing about moving to Elsternwick Park and all this other rubbish. Message to the club - how about concerning ourselves with attracting a second major sponsor?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Won't be long before Noddy is thrown out of Government

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Common Sense prevails.

JO was never a goer once Naptime was booted.

Get back to Moorabbin, Junction Oval was never a good option.
Oh please, can we?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q247 ... ure003.jpg

Living in the past, a little? Maybe? (Thanks for the image CALL ME SNAKE over on BigFooty. Respect.)

So what? I don't mean move in tomorrow.

Put some capital into the place and have it ready for our VFL team in 2017

You are garbage - Enough said
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why put capital into the place? We don't have any spare capital to put into it, that's why.
Money is the reason we moved to Seaford in the first place, and the council certainly weren't about to help out to keep us; in fact they were glad to see the back of us, so long as we keep paying our rent for the white elephant we signed a 50 year lease for.
That has been the whole problem with this farce. We don't get the sweetheart deals that Geelong gets. We don't get the peppercorn rental that Essendon and Hawthorn gets. In fact you could say that between the council and the afl's Etihad deal we have been remarkably resilient.
We must get a VFL team. For sure. But I disagree wholeheartedly that it should be based at Moorabbin. I have been to Sandringham in the middle of winter to watch games. St Kilda supporters are outnumbered two to one by opposition supporters and there are no longer any Sandy supporters left, except girlfriends of the players. If you think resurrecting Moorabbin is going to be our saviour, let me say this; at the other end of South Rd there is Trevor Barker oval. The other week there was open training for St Kilda held there, and less than two dozen people showed up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Why put capital into the place? We don't have any spare capital to put into it, that's why.
Money is the reason we moved to Seaford in the first place, and the council certainly weren't about to help out to keep us; in fact they were glad to see the back of us, so long as we keep paying our rent for the white elephant we signed a 50 year lease for.
That has been the whole problem with this farce. We don't get the sweetheart deals that Geelong gets. We don't get the peppercorn rental that Essendon and Hawthorn gets. In fact you could say that between the council and the afl's Etihad deal we have been remarkably resilient.
We must get a VFL team. For sure. But I disagree wholeheartedly that it should be based at Moorabbin. I have been to Sandringham in the middle of winter to watch games. St Kilda supporters are outnumbered two to one by opposition supporters and there are no longer any Sandy supporters left, except girlfriends of the players. If you think resurrecting Moorabbin is going to be our saviour, let me say this; at the other end of South Rd there is Trevor Barker oval. The other week there was open training for St Kilda held there, and less than two dozen people showed up.

Not much point saying that money shouldn't go into Moorabbin because it is. Also no point in mentioning Sandy because we aren't playing there in 2 years time. And at the end of South Rd is the Old Brighton footy ground.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hardy har har. You know what I mean. And the even bigger joke is that there are probably more St Kilda barrackers there on any given Saturday than there are at Sandy. I mentioned Sandy because it is obviously close to Moorabbin.
I believe more people would go to the VFL at Seaford than Moorabbin once the novelty and honeymoon period is over.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 14 Mar 2015 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Hardy har har. You know what I mean.
More people would go to the VFL at Seaford than Moorabbin once the novelty and honeymoon period is over.

Well we will never know that because it isn't happening.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Were the members asked? Did we vote on it?

I have been to open training at Seaford and it is teeming with people and small children. Work colleagues of mine take their kids there, and some of their kids now barrack for us, even though their parents don't.
Even I believe that the lack of amenities for supporters at Seaford is pathetic, however, and not even having proper toilets or a café is a disgrace, not to mention the fact that there isn't decent viewing due to lack of seating, but still people show up in numbers because it is a footyhead suburb, with lots of kids around. Sounds like the kind of place to build a supporter base doesn't it? A little better than the 'Grey Belt' perhaps ...?
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 14 Mar 2015 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

https://vimeo.com/122163184

Great day in St Kilda today.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Were the members asked? Did we vote on it?

I have been to open training at Seaford and it is teeming with people and small children. Work colleagues of mine take their kids there, and some of their kids now barrack for us, even though their parents don't.
Even I believe that the lack of amenities for supporters at Seaford is pathetic, however, and not even having proper toilets or a café is a disgrace, not to mention the fact that there isn't decent viewing due to lack of seating, but still people show up in numbers because it is a footyhead suburb, with lots of kids around. Sounds like the kind of place to build a supporter base doesn't it? A little better than the 'Grey Belt' perhaps ...?

No we weren't asked and neither we should be. Look I have no problem staying at Seaford or training on the moon as long as we have great facilities but our seconds side will be playing at Moorabbin 2 years time. Just out of interest where do you live?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Edithvale.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Were the members asked? Did we vote on it?

No we weren't asked and neither we should be. Look I have no problem staying at Seaford or training on the moon as long as we have great facilities but our seconds side will be playing at Moorabbin 2 years time. Just out of interest where do you live?

Agree with your sentiments there. I barrack for the Saints wherever they play or train.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Finnis said we are getting a new sponsor next week in his speech. A high profile one everyone knows the name of. Well done.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Finnis said we are getting a new sponsor next week in his speech. A high profile one everyone knows the name of. Well done.
Stephen Dank?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:Finnis said we are getting a new sponsor next week in his speech. A high profile one everyone knows the name of. Well done.
Stephen Dank?
He said a sponsor; not a sphincter Image

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic news. Sorely needed.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Surely it would be a better idea to just stay at Seaford for the next decade and try to at least get a pot to piss in?

Another move would involve taking on further debt....Which really, we cannot afford to do.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Victoria hosting a Shield final at Bellerive.
Really CV and the Govt should have fixed the JO years go.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
saynta wrote:Good, we can now concentrate all our efforts on Moorabbin. Anybody who feels gutted about the JO and who voted for Labor or the Green monsters has only themselves to blame. You there Dave?
Nothing to do with the Groovy Greens, S.

I must admit though that I was concerned what their attitude might be, so I asked 'em about it. The answer was that they have no policy on the matter, and that the funding would be an executive matter... i.e. it wouldn't have to go before parliament to be voted on.

And since I didn't vote for Dan the Man... I'm innocent on this matter. :wink:
You are hardly innocent unless you voted for the party that was going to fund our return mate
I live in the state electorate of Richmond. Here, it's a battle between the Another Liberal Party and the Groovy Greens.

And as I did not vote for the Another Liberal Party... I remain innocent. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

millarsaint wrote:I don't understand why the state government wouldn't want another party involved as another potential revenue source to cover cost of development and ongoing.
The AFL would have contributed significant cash and then potentially nab games and interstate games played there which is more revenue into the hat.
The AFL could quite rightly through teddy into the corner and withdrawal completely. Who gives a baboons foreskin if the season starts one week early?
It will be great to go there and watch the cricket but what's happening through winter? I like Andrews but isn't he a dirty essendon supporter?
At least this would mean Moorabbin is a definite for the VFL and one might expect to find a decent pie and coffee.
There you go, Pluggs. As Miller pointed out, the more people/groups/organizations whom can be shown to benefit, the greater the chance of a successful and more bountious funding submission.

I'm still a little perplexed that you can't see that. :?

More So though, as a cricket lover, I'm very concerned that those entrusted with the welfare of the game here in Vic can't see that.

Joint submissions for mutual gain. Win-win.

Anyway, I'll see at JO for the first match of the Sheffield Shield season... this July... :P

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Victoria hosting a Shield final at Bellerive.
Really CV and the Govt should have fixed the JO years go.
And no matter where the final ends up being played... JO would be finished with cricket in plenty of time for the footy season. :idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
millarsaint wrote:I don't understand why the state government wouldn't want another party involved as another potential revenue source to cover cost of development and ongoing.
The AFL would have contributed significant cash and then potentially nab games and interstate games played there which is more revenue into the hat.
The AFL could quite rightly through teddy into the corner and withdrawal completely. Who gives a baboons foreskin if the season starts one week early?
It will be great to go there and watch the cricket but what's happening through winter? I like Andrews but isn't he a dirty essendon supporter?
At least this would mean Moorabbin is a definite for the VFL and one might expect to find a decent pie and coffee.
There you go, Pluggs. As Miller pointed out, the more people/groups/organizations whom can be shown to benefit, the greater the chance of a successful and more bountious funding submission.

More So though, as a cricket lover, I'm very concerned that those entrusted with the welfare of the game here in Vic can't see that.

Anyway, I'll see at JO for the first match of the Sheffield Shield season... this July... :P

Dave I don't think you are stupid so please think. CV may not have had a choice to join up with another party. The offer was for CV only. Should they go into the labor party and say we wont be part of this unless you spend 20 million more so that the Saints can be part of it. So you can blame Labor but it isn't CV fault. Not that hard to understand but you have completely lost it on this subject so understandable. And I don't understand your last line at all. Cricket isn't played in July. I still haven't worked out why they have drop in wickets at the G and Etihad.

Pleasing
Club Player

I think it is clear Cricket Victoria wanted a home of their own without having to share with the AFL which they have had more than enough of over the years at the MCG. We tried to shoehorn our way into the deal but CV were never on board and understandably so. There continues to be this idea through this thread that we would be able to use the oval and the facilities in the winter and cricket gets it in the summer, that was never the plan. Elite professional cricket is a 12 month a year occupation the Junction Oval will be reserved for cricket for all 12 months of the year, they don't want footballers trampling over their showpiece ground at any time. Cricket had a choice a purpose built cricket only uncompromised facility or a multi use shared facility, they chose the logical and sensible option to go it alone without football. Fair play to them the Junction is the logical place to play and run cricket at the State level nothing worse than an empty MCG this should have happened years ago.

Shame for us but totally the right move for Cricket

Let me in
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-19/j ... -door-open

Finnis is still keeping this alive. He better not be just building false hope.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Dave I don't think you are stupid so please think. CV may not have had a choice to join up with another party. The offer was for CV only. Should they go into the labor party and say we wont be part of this unless you spend 20 million more so that the Saints can be part of it. So you can blame Labor but it isn't CV fault. Not that hard to understand but you have completely lost it on this subject so understandable. And I don't understand your last line at all. Cricket isn't played in July. I still haven't worked out why they have drop in wickets at the G and Etihad.
My last sentence (with the unfortunate typo of omitting the word 'you') is a key point to the argument.

Us using the ground during the footy season would not hurt the cricketers one bit... coz they can't use the ground during the footy season... i.e. the Melbourne winter. :idea:

As for your points Pleasing...
- Footy is already played on JO in winter, and always has been... the centre wicket is fine.
- CV's admin were not forced into supporting or not supporting joining with us... they have actively and publicly said they want JO all to themselves. So once again, I look forward to watching those fools trying to put on a Sheffield Shield game in Melbourne... July.

There's no reason not to share the facility with us... but lots of mutual synergy reasons to do so.

As further proven by the Sheffield Shield final being played in Tassie... :roll: CV's admin isn't capable of running a bath, let alone being entrusted to run the great game of cricket in this state.