Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

I'd be reading the fine print very carefully before committing to this !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

saint6709 wrote:Massive if it comes off - not sure why training facilities are so far from training ground ?? - but won't complain - this has got to be good news when trying to trade for and recruit young talent and for membership - awesome
It looks a bit like the set up Collingwood has with the facility at old Olympic park plus Gosch's paddock.

Always loyal
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Eastern said.
it was always going to be about the money and opportunities like this come once in a lifetime for the Saints, so let's grasp it and work through the detail later. McLachlan will be in our corner which is the key thing here for us.

As previously stated, it will be the salvation of our Club.

saint6709
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Eastern said.
it was always going to be about the money and opportunities like this come once in a lifetime for the Saints, so let's grasp it and work through the detail later. McLachlan will be in our corner which is the key thing here for us.

As previously stated, it will be the salvation of our Club.
I am with you J.O

CJC
Club Player

All this drama over a training ground. FFS......... Unless we're playing games in our own stadium it really makes no differnce. I'm glad the afl/govt is always there to pay for it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dave Mc.
I was totally scornful of your 'idiotic' and 'naive rantings' about going back to the Junction. Time to say sorry.
Not quite what you were pushing for in having games at the JO, but it's got to be a better thing for our base to be in the guts of St.Kilda. Big win if it comes off.

What happens to Moorabbin? Do we still shoot for a stand alone VFL team playing out of there and just completely get out of Seaford?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wowsers.

Way to make us relevant Finnis, well done.

If the fine print is cool, that's super exciting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CJC wrote:Unless we're playing games in our own stadium it really makes no differnce.
It would give us a base that is visible, not hidden away in the back blocks of Belvedere. So in that sense it would make a difference.

Of course you've still got to win games to attract members and sponsors.

CJC
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
CJC wrote:Unless we're playing games in our own stadium it really makes no differnce.
It would give us a base that is visible, not hidden away in the back blocks of Belvedere. So in that sense it would make a difference.

Agree, though most fans who like the move are already big saints fans, I don't see any benifit in terms of sponsorship or attracting more members. Seaford opens us to more opportunities, (which are small, who really follows where a team trains)?????

Regardless, the afl stuffed up big time having only the mcg and etihad as the only melbourne grounds. I would love to see us with our own home ground. 30k max packed every week.

Time will tell. Go saints.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Can anyone clarify whether the whole club would move to JO or simply a training base? I.e., where would administration and social club go??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CJC wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Agree, though most fans who like the move are already big saints fans, I don't see any benifit in terms of sponsorship or attracting more members. Seaford opens us to more opportunities, (which are small, who really follows where a team trains)?????

Regardless, the afl stuffed up big time having only the mcg and etihad as the only melbourne grounds. I would love to see us with our own home ground. 30k max packed every week.

Time will tell. Go saints.

The only way is if they prep it for cricket and convert it as a ground for the interstate low drawing games and then Etihad would expect some compensation from the AFL. They will probably prefer we pay it off for them though.

saint6709
Club Player

Nothing on the saints site yet

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Nothing on the saints site yet
They're busy moving.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint6709
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
saint6709 wrote:Nothing on the saints site yet
They're busy moving.
Maybe we can get a sponsorship deal with pack n send

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As a kid with my parents, I used to watch the Saints games from between the race and the grandstand, a small area where we always managed to get a seat. We improved the most ever when we got Killa as coach.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:If they do the right thing and scrap the idiot East West tunnel fiasco, they could free up 8 billion and redevelop every bloody ground in Victoria.
You obviously don't travel across town very often in peak hours.

I can't see the point of us shifting to some oval next to Junction oval just to train. What would really be the point?

Now IF we could use the actual Junction Oval for a boutique stadium holding 30K or so like Kardinia Park then you would be talking. Play the lesser drawing teams there and still have the blockbusters at Etihad or the G like the cats do and then you would really be talking.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:If they do the right thing and scrap the idiot East West tunnel fiasco, they could free up 8 billion and redevelop every bloody ground in Victoria.

I can't see the point of us shifting to some oval next to Junction oval just to train. What would really be the point?

Now IF we could use the actual Junction Oval for a boutique stadium holding 30K or so like Kardinia Park then you would be talking. Play the lesser drawing teams there and still have the blockbusters at Etihad or the G like the cats do and then you would really be talking.

How would you know if I travel across town in peak hour?

No business case, no critical appraisal, Fiberals love clogged up roads and hate public transport

You are garbage - Enough said
spert
Saintsational Legend

It's all about the next step marketing the Saints brand in a higher profile area, and the presence of the club near its historical ground will give us some kind of solid base after being cut adrift and losing identity for a few years- also boosts AFL presence in the area.

thefatdork
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:

I think it will be great for the mighty Saints - but I hope that the idea might "morph" to utilising the JO for boutique games. That would be icing on the cake and would be a huge outcome if it were to eventuate.
.....still waiting for Dave to comment (and , to a lesser extent, Pluggsy).
Go Saints!
TFD

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:God damn amazing if this happens.

The benefits in terms of branding and association would be incredible. No matter where people actually live - St Kilda is iconic.

This would give the club a real heart and soul and sense of place that is national and even international.

Players would want to play for us. Sponsors would to be associated with. New fans would want to be part of it.

Caro breaking the story.

We have a Saints man in power at AFL headquarters - and if he pulls this off I will be a Gillon McLachlan fan from here in.
provided we have controlof our assets not the flowerig cricket club....might be home to cricket victoria but it's the st kilda cricket club who were a mob of bastards.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I'd be reading the fine print very carefully before committing to this !!
yep......well said

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Where is Dave McNamara? Has he combusted with joy. Have to hand it to him. In the words of Mike Williamson, "I tipped this!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:Where was this money before we moved to Seaford? If we'd had it then with some state govt and AFL clout behind us we might not have had to move in the first place.
Well you can thank Archie f****** Fraser for that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Several questions
State Gov facing election put in $10mill - do you like your local member enough to keep them there in Nov
Fed gov under pressure -can you lije them enough to get some of the $15 mill
Does it actually include Social club , area will not support much parking
Would someones above duggestikn of a 'BENEFACTOR' come with too many strings

For 'supporters' to consider -are you putting in even tge little amounts that could build to the funds needed to support such a venture
Ie; did you buy a raffle ticket?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
wolfpup
Club Player

Slightly late to this, but from my personal view there are so many levels of awesome if this comes to fruition.

Its local (well for me), right next to the st.kilda bowls club (groups of saints supporters often watch saints games there oldest bowls club in southern hemisphere steeped in history, i just go there to drink ), right next to st.kilda primary school, the junction and the other oval is not off limits during the grand prix. Its right on fitzroy st, great location, and its in ST.KILDA.

Next level of awesome would be if we can play home games there against power or gws (etc) be amazing if we had our own 15 to 20k stadium.

Anyways, we are mad not to consider it, especially if govt/afl/whoever are throwing money at it and we just move in. It would be hard decision i guess (ie seaford and/or morrabin) but seriously what an opportunity

My 2 cents.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!