Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

magnifisaint wrote:
remboy wrote:Where was this money before we moved to Seaford? If we'd had it then with some state govt and AFL clout behind us we might not have had to move in the first place.
Well you can thank Archie f****** Fraser for that.
Who else is still involved within the Football Club that ticked off to build Seaford?

At the moment, the club seemingly wants to be here and here and here and NZ...why?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

What will happen to Seaford? (I hope we leave)

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:What will happen to Seaford? (I hope we leave)
Hopefully gets destroyed and a priest splashes holy water around the site to make sure the evil spirits are warded off from following us back to the hallowed ground.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
defacto
Club Player

sounds like local footy clubs will move in and take up the lease

Saint 58
Club Player

Just went outside to get the Age, (it was a late night ...), and saw the front page.
U FXXXing Beauty !!!!!!!!

At last a massive positive step for our football club :))))

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Boutique stadium?!? What are some of you guys on? Fair dinkum.
It's great that we can go back to our roots and train at our old homeground in a fantastic well-established and famous bayside suburb, fabulous news.
But if you think that we are going to be able to use it as a boutique stadium, I want some of the stuff you guys are taking.
If we can get a stand along VFL side AND play those at Linton St, AND train in St Kilda at the Junction, that is a massive win. Add to that one or two games a year in New Zealand for the cash, and I think we can compete with the top sides again.
But this talk of getting more cash to set the place up to host interstate clubs in the 2020s is pie in the sky stuff. Honestly.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
remboy wrote:Where was this money before we moved to Seaford? If we'd had it then with some state govt and AFL clout behind us we might not have had to move in the first place.
Who else is still involved within the Football Club that ticked off to build Seaford?

At the moment, the club seemingly wants to be here and here and here and NZ...why?
Money and Marketing, my friend, Product, Place, Pricing and Promotion. It's all right there.

Saint 58
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Boutique stadium?!? What are some of you guys on? Fair dinkum.
It's great that we can go back to our roots and train at our old homeground in a fantastic well-established and famous bayside suburb, fabulous news.
But if you think that we are going to be able to use it as a boutique stadium, I want some of the stuff you guys are taking.
If we can get a stand along VFL side AND play those at Linton St, AND train in St Kilda at the Junction, that is a massive win. Add to that one or two games a year in New Zealand for the cash, and I think we can compete with the top sides again.
But this talk of getting more cash to set the place up to host interstate clubs in the 2020s is pie in the sky stuff. Honestly.
Probably, maybe but in the future who knows ...
Step one is get there and set up as described in the paper.
Step two grow the club and match it with the big boys
Step xx .......

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
gringo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
sounds like local footy clubs will move in and take up the lease

It looks perfect for a suburban footy club. It would be a modern equivalent to the club house our suburban club currently use. It is actually quite embarrassing that the seaford ground is meant to be a professional head quarters. When you look at the Punt road redevelopment and then us we are a million miles away. Luke ball delighted in saying that when he went from the Saints to Collingwood the facilities made him know he'd done the right thing. He said one tour of their facilities made him feel like he'd come from another era at the Saints. Junction will at least look like a grown up facility with some history and prominence. Seaford is hard to find, hidden and tiny.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:So we'll be placed across the road from the Junction Oval on a random sports field as opposed to our original home ground? I guess as long as we have top quality facilities then it really could be a fantastic move.
Yeah so will they have to keep crossing Lakeside Drive all the time? Park the car at JO, cross the road to go for a run, cross the road to go for a swim etc...Maybe there's an underground shuttle?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

There will be no boutique stadium at the junction except for cricket. Why it seems on the surface this is good news, the club has to make sure the facilities we get are as good or beyyer than those at Seaford, because whether you like the place or not, the training facilities are among the best in the competition.
As for us suddenly being successful because we are going back to St.Kilda, not to hard to remind people how many premierships we won during our last tenure.
As for sponsors jumping onto our bandwagon, that will depend on our success, no our location. I mean how many sponsors have left Essendon since their move to Tullamarine, not to mention the lack of coffee shops there, well unless they want to spend a fortune parking at the airport.
Hawthorn, how many sponsors did they lose moving to Mulgrave from Glenferrie Oval? As for coffee shops there, I'm sure there's a Gloria Jeans at Waverley Gardens.
I mean really, Bill Gates hasn't just got a memo saying St.Kilda could be moving back to the Junction oval precinct, let's jump on board and give them bundles of money in sponsorship.
Players happily go to Geelong, not exactly a Melbourne centric club, but they go because they play finals and have been successful, so have Hawthorn etc and that's what attracts sponsors and money.
I'll guarantee, if we were where Hawthorn are now, we would have sponsors lining up to get on board and they wouldn't give a damn about us being at Seaford.
So please reality check people, yes it would be nice to go back to our heartland for a base of training and administration, especially if someone else pays for it. But that will all there will be, there will be no boutique stadium there. If there is to be a third smaller stadium built, it will be somewhere where there is access to a major rail line, probably not that far from Etihad and it would be shared by us, Bulldogs and North for when we play interstate teams.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-s ... 09xvs.html

Saints to get new homeground at Junction Oval precinct courtesy $10 million apiece from AFL, Cricket Victoria, State Govt and some additional sources. Assumedly an elite facility back in our homeland, brilliant news for mine. My personal heart will always be at Moorabbin but this seems like a brilliant option moving forward. we're going home!
I was too young to understand footy when my family moved to the UK but after our return to live in Bentleigh and the Saints moved to Moorabbin my fate and suffering were sealed.
The first games I ever saw were using my grandfathers MCC ladies ticket (I was only a boy) to attend the 1966 finals series.
I have owned and lived in St Kilda for most of 40 years.

I just hope that the Saints are not returning home to St Kilda to die.
Last edited by ace on Sat 30 Aug 2014 2:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Suits me as my office is 500m away....so can go back to watching the occasional training session. :D

From a marketing perspective being here is a much better than being at Seaford.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I never thought id say this but I will vote for libs on the back of this.. Twice if I can. :D :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I never thought id say this but I will vote for libs on the back of this.. Twice if I can. :D :D
You know you can, you've been doing it every election so far.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

3rd Gen Saint. Your reticence and caution are welcome and most likely fair.

But two quick things. It is way too early to judge the Bombers move to Tulla. They only just moved in.
Lets see how they feel about it in 5 years.

We need to concede that Seaford was a terrible decision.
Have you actually seen where it is located sandwiched between Freeways?
Wav Gardens and Tulla are still only around 20km from the cbd. I think Seaford is twice that.

We got dudded by Fraser and two City Councils. I still wonder what deals were cut behind closed doors.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 30 Aug 2014 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

Money and Marketing, my friend, Product, Place, Pricing and Promotion. It's all right there.
And this is how it is all being sold.

Absolute rubbish.

A successful business is not built on having no money, getting handouts, using what limited capital available to build crap that we do not use/will use/some never wanted to use.

We are now just whoring ourselves out to the city of Melbourne and some where in NZ.

This stinks. The people involved in all of these crappy decisions stink and most of them have been around and involved in other crappy decisions before.

The whinging old bags that label my post negative are part of the problem. Giving money to an organisation that cannot get it right on or off the field is confusing. How can anyone really give these clowns money via membership considering we are just moving around and around and around. No brand successfully remains whilst bending over to everywhere.

We just built Seaford and moved from the Bin. Now we are discussing the Junction Oval? What about NZ?

Finnis aside, this club has been run by groups of men that continue to make shitty decisions.

Worst of all, the blind, unsuccessful old bags that still dip in money and chastise others for ceasing doing so are being robbed. Pure robbery that this club has no direction and seemingly no home yet expects people to dig into their pocket.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:There will be no boutique stadium at the junction except for cricket. Why it seems on the surface this is good news, the club has to make sure the facilities we get are as good or beyyer than those at Seaford, because whether you like the place or not, the training facilities are among the best in the competition.
As for us suddenly being successful because we are going back to St.Kilda, not to hard to remind people how many premierships we won during our last tenure.
As for sponsors jumping onto our bandwagon, that will depend on our success, no our location. I mean how many sponsors have left Essendon since their move to Tullamarine, not to mention the lack of coffee shops there, well unless they want to spend a fortune parking at the airport.
Hawthorn, how many sponsors did they lose moving to Mulgrave from Glenferrie Oval? As for coffee shops there, I'm sure there's a Gloria Jeans at Waverley Gardens.
I mean really, Bill Gates hasn't just got a memo saying St.Kilda could be moving back to the Junction oval precinct, let's jump on board and give them bundles of money in sponsorship.
Players happily go to Geelong, not exactly a Melbourne centric club, but they go because they play finals and have been successful, so have Hawthorn etc and that's what attracts sponsors and money.
I'll guarantee, if we were where Hawthorn are now, we would have sponsors lining up to get on board and they wouldn't give a damn about us being at Seaford.
So please reality check people, yes it would be nice to go back to our heartland for a base of training and administration, especially if someone else pays for it. But that will all there will be, there will be no boutique stadium there. If there is to be a third smaller stadium built, it will be somewhere where there is access to a major rail line, probably not that far from Etihad and it would be shared by us, Bulldogs and North for when we play interstate teams.
Was at the G last night for one of my sons was playing footy at half time. Let me tell everyone here this; there were hardly any Collingwood supporters there. There was a cheersquad presence - with a lot of spaces - and a few of the pisshead rusted on supporters standing behind them in the Ponsford. Hawks supporters outnumbered them at least 3 - 1 and there were lost of neutrals there barracking against Collingwood, (and one in particular barracking against Luke Ball).
No matter who you are, when you start losing the bandwagon drops off. Richmond were getting their lowest crowds since the mid 90s to games this year before they won their 8 in a row.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-s ... 09xvs.html

Saints to get new homeground at Junction Oval precinct courtesy $10 million apiece from AFL, Cricket Victoria, State Govt and some additional sources. Assumedly an elite facility back in our homeland, brilliant news for mine. My personal heart will always be at Moorabbin but this seems like a brilliant option moving forward. we're going home!
I was too young to understand footy when my family moved to the UK but after our return to live in Bentleigh and the Saints moved to Moorabbin my fate and suffering were sealed.
The first games I ever saw were using my grandfathers MCC ladies ticket (I was only a boy) to attend the 1966 finals series.
I have owned and lived in St Kilda for most of 40 years.

I just hope that the Saints are not returning home to St Kilda to die.
That will depend on our recruiting - starting from last year.
And speaking of recruiting, Rossy Lyon is doing a good job at list development at Freo - Gumbleton and Sylvia are going well :)

citywest

Suck on that Archie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You Beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Grant Thomas on twitter;

"What a disgraceful waste of strategy Seaford was. Timing couldn't have been unsettling or worse. Team trying to win premiership relocating".

BackFromTheChinaCafe
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Worst of all, the blind, unsuccessful old bags that still dip in money and chastise others for ceasing doing so are being robbed. Pure robbery that this club has no direction and seemingly no home yet expects people to dig into their pocket.
You work in stock breaking, yes?

Because is obvious even to blind Red Army general during Cultural Revolution, you no work in public relations.

Predeemer66....... you were wrong!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Now it looks like we will be returning to St.Kilda to train, let's hope that the club pushes extremely hard to tick all the right boxes.

Will we be in charge of any training facility and have our players use it as a priority, or will it be shared and subsequently our players not get full benefit?

Will we have some sort of social club presence so we can make some money?

Who will actually be in charge?
I just hope we're not trading away our autonomy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

to all the tossers on here that said it wouldn't happen :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What will happen to seaford?

What a waste.