Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Con Gorozidis wrote:3rd Gen Saint. Your reticence and caution are welcome and most likely fair.

But two quick things. It is way too early to judge the Bombers move to Tulla. They only just moved in.
Lets see how they feel about it in 5 years.

We need to concede that Seaford was a terrible decision.
Have you actually seen where it is located sandwiched between Freeways?
Wav Gardens and Tulla are still only around 20km from the cbd. I think Seaford is twice that.

We got dudded by Fraser and two City Councils. I still wonder what deals were cut behind closed doors.
The real problems is councils.
In Geelong the council can freely spend ratepayers money on the Geelong FC safe in the knowledge that the overwhelming majority of those rate payers are either active or passive Geelong supporters.
In the case of Moorabbin the Saints were welcomed when it helped develop the suburb.
But with a mix of acive supporters of all clubs and non supporters it became easy for the council to say p--- off when the club wanted to move the pokies to South Road.
Frankston only wants the club to help develop the suburb then the fate is the same.
Even at St Kilda the City of Port Phillip is full of other club supporters especially Sydney!
They do not want to see ratepayers money spent on an opposing club.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What will happen to seaford?

What a waste.
Local footy. It becomes a community centre. I'm sure the players will relish the shift to the Junction Oval. The only waste was the tool of CEO that we had. NFI!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SMS
Club Player

IF this happens. We will become HUGE. We will win many flags. Will change everything. Got a sneaky feeling we will own the 20s. Im talking 4+ flags.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SMS wrote:IF this happens. We will become HUGE. We will win many flags. Will change everything. Got a sneaky feeling we will own the 20s. Im talking 4+ flags.
I think the training facilities will not be running out on the ground on GF day..... players will be.

Doesn't make a difference where we train, it's the players who win games. If you win premierships, players will go anywhere to join the club.

Recruitment is the answer.

Junction Oval would be nice, but it is only a small part of the process.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Austinnn
Club Player

thefatdork wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:If they do the right thing and scrap the idiot East West tunnel fiasco, they could free up 8 billion and redevelop every bloody ground in Victoria.
You obviously don't travel across town very often in peak hours.

I can't see the point of us shifting to some oval next to Junction oval just to train. What would really be the point?

Now IF we could use the actual Junction Oval for a boutique stadium holding 30K or so like Kardinia Park then you would be talking. Play the lesser drawing teams there and still have the blockbusters at Etihad or the G like the cats do and then you would really be talking.

I think it will be great for the mighty Saints - but I hope that the idea might "morph" to utilising the JO for boutique games. That would be icing on the cake and would be a huge outcome if it were to eventuate.
.....still waiting for Dave to comment (and , to a lesser extent, Pluggsy).
Go Saints!
TFD
YOUR CALL SIGN CRACKS ME UP! Please post more often!

This is excellent news. Of course it's only people who are already fans who are excited about this, but we will get more new fans because of it than if we'd stayed in Seaford.

I also hope that the AFL reverse their foolish decision to only play games at MCG and Docklands, imagine how happy it would make fans of us, Dons, Blues, Pies etc. Not sure if it will ever happen but I said the same about this news and now it's reality, so I suppose anything is possible just like the ads say.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

So, according to Caro's article we will share the ground with Old Melburnians F.C who will train and play their games there.

And we will share the training facilities with Cricket Victoria......

oh when the
Club Player

If they think outside the square there is a large non footy market in St Kilda
with good revenue streams.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BackFromTheChinaCafe wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Worst of all, the blind, unsuccessful old bags that still dip in money and chastise others for ceasing doing so are being robbed. Pure robbery that this club has no direction and seemingly no home yet expects people to dig into their pocket.
You work in stock breaking, yes?

Because is obvious even to blind Red Army general during Cultural Revolution, you no work in public relations.

Predeemer66....... you were wrong!
I am like David Koch. Always correct and waiting for the right time to strike, take over MY Football Club, make good decisions and then bathe in my own awesomeness from another source.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
defacto wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:What will happen to Seaford? (I hope we leave)
sounds like local footy clubs will move in and take up the lease

It looks perfect for a suburban footy club. It would be a modern equivalent to the club house our suburban club currently use. It is actually quite embarrassing that the seaford ground is meant to be a professional head quarters. When you look at the Punt road redevelopment and then us we are a million miles away. Luke ball delighted in saying that when he went from the Saints to Collingwood the facilities made him know he'd done the right thing. He said one tour of their facilities made him feel like he'd come from another era at the Saints. Junction will at least look like a grown up facility with some history and prominence. Seaford is hard to find, hidden and tiny.
Was ball still with the saints when we went to Seaford......?......don't think so

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:So, according to Caro's article we will share the ground with Old Melburnians F.C who will train and play their games there.

And we will share the training facilities with Cricket Victoria......
Two separate facilities though?
The Junction itself will be developed as a niche cricket venue and the Saints over the road?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:If they think outside the square there is a large non footy market in St Kilda with good revenue streams.
Build a disco?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:So, according to Caro's article we will share the ground with Old Melburnians F.C who will train and play their games there.
Convenient that Bainsy is heavily involved with OMs.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

But it is only an election commitment?

If the Labs win then the deal is off the table? Is that correct? Then its probably back to Moorabin in 2018?

Unless Saints, CV and AFL can get Labs on board as well.

I recall the Labs were quite keen on revitalising Moorabin?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 30 Aug 2014 5:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
realdeal wrote:So we'll be placed across the road from the Junction Oval on a random sports field as opposed to our original home ground? I guess as long as we have top quality facilities then it really could be a fantastic move.
Yeah so will they have to keep crossing Lakeside Drive all the time? Park the car at JO, cross the road to go for a run, cross the road to go for a swim etc...Maybe there's an underground shuttle?

Not mentioned in Caro's article but I recall when this was floated a couple of months ago talk about an underpass from the Junction Oval to the adjoining oval. No need to cross the road.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Munga wrote:
realdeal wrote:So we'll be placed across the road from the Junction Oval on a random sports field as opposed to our original home ground? I guess as long as we have top quality facilities then it really could be a fantastic move.
Yeah so will they have to keep crossing Lakeside Drive all the time? Park the car at JO, cross the road to go for a run, cross the road to go for a swim etc...Maybe there's an underground shuttle?

Not mentioned in Caro's article but I recall when this was floated a couple of months ago talk about an underpass from the Junction Oval to the adjoining oval. No need to cross the road.
Nothing a few explosives cant fix :D

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Works for me. I could walk to the ground.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:But it is only an election commitment?

If the Labs win then the deal is off the table? Is that correct? Then its probably back to Moorabin in 2018?

Unless Saints, CV and AFL can get Labs on board as well.

I recall the Labs were quite keen on revitalising Moorabin?
Not necessarily. The Afl is looking for bipartisan support.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Munga wrote:

They'd want to link the 2 ovals so either an overpass or an underpass.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:Grant Thomas on twitter;

"What a disgraceful waste of strategy Seaford was. Timing couldn't have been unsettling or worse. Team trying to win premiership relocating".
Absolutely. GT is 100% correct.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Something exciting to look forward to for a change. Everyone will be a winner - players, staff, corporates/sponsors. No doubt, most supporters also. With great facilities, the revenue/sponsor opportunities will be huge.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Grant Thomas on twitter;

"What a disgraceful waste of strategy Seaford was. Timing couldn't have been unsettling or worse. Team trying to win premiership relocating".
Absolutely. GT is 100% correct.

Yep. Its hard to fathom what they were thinking at the time.

It seems like it was just an ego battle between Fraser and the single Councillor . Saints should change their motto to 'Egos before team'

'Ego pre Pediludium '

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well I certainly hope this comes to fruition.

Because once again this type of news will lead increased criticism of the Seaford move. Dissing Belvedere Park does nothing to lift the morale of players, staff, members or supporters. It does nothing to help the image of the club or its appeal in the eyes of sponsors.

So let's just hope we don't go through months of "Junction Oval rocks" and "Seaford is a craphole" only to find out that the former falls through and we're stuck with the latter.

Because that would make things far worse than they currently are :(

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Well I certainly hope this comes to fruition.

Because once again this type of news will lead increased criticism of the Seaford move. Dissing Belvedere Park does nothing to lift the morale of players, staff, members or supporters. It does nothing to help the image of the club or its appeal in the eyes of sponsors.

So let's just hope we don't go through months of "Junction Oval rocks" and "Seaford is a craphole" only to find out that the former falls through and we're stuck with the latter.

Because that would make things far worse than they currently are :(
Fair call that :|

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It will never happen!

Why did we leave in the first place?

Why would we want to return as a second class tenant of a facility controlled by cricket again?

It will never happen!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell