Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Dr Spaceman wrote:It is pointless discussing the JO for the simple reason that just like the Greens having a sensible policy, it will NEVER happen.
You mean Doc, like the Liberal Party having a policy that is, like, you know, 'liberal'...? :P

(You should post more Doc! You have Mates who miss you. :) )

evertonfc wrote:(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this...)
Plugger666 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the JO is the GO
+3

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

kosifantutti wrote:
Saint 58 wrote: I marked the Metro station (Anzac Station) in the spot it is shown on their website
You put it on the edge of the wrong park. It’s about 1k north of there, but only a short tram ride.
http://metrotunnel.vic.gov.au/stations/anzac
Accessing JO is not a problem.

Every year 250,000 get to the international F1 Grand Prix right next door. (And don't forget the international visitors and media coverage.)

Every year 400,000 to 700,000+ people get to the St Kilda Music Festival.

Does anyone think that our Club wouldn't be able to tap into and benefit from events like these??? :idea: (What crowd drawing international events does Moorabbin attract...?)

Seriously, we can be the league's, we can be Australia's, best known sporting club. (Or... we can continue to struggle along, hand to mouth, always having to take whatever crap our Gestapo HQ masters want to heap on us.) :idea:

Shirley, it's a no brainer...

evertonfc wrote:(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this...)
Plugger666 wrote:
+3

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Never going to happen Dave.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Agreed.

There is more chance of the Saints returning to the JO than Daniel Andrew's ears getting smaller. The first game is right upon us. The Saints are back at Moorabbin which is great, but its time to play footy now.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Agreed.

There is more chance of the Saints returning to the JO than Daniel Andrew's ears getting smaller. The first game is right upon us. The Saints are back at Moorabbin which is great, but its time to play footy now.
and then back to the JO

Saint 58
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Saint 58 wrote: I marked the Metro station (Anzac Station) in the spot it is shown on their website
You put it on the edge of the wrong park. It’s about 1k north of there, but only a short tram ride.
http://metrotunnel.vic.gov.au/stations/anzac
Accessing JO is not a problem.

Every year 250,000 get to the international F1 Grand Prix right next door. (And don't forget the international visitors and media coverage.)

Every year 400,000 to 700,000+ people get to the St Kilda Music Festival.

Does anyone think that our Club wouldn't be able to tap into and benefit from events like these??? :idea: (What crowd drawing international events does Moorabbin attract...?)

+1 :D
Seriously, we can be the league's, we can be Australia's, best known sporting club. (Or... we can continue to struggle along, hand to mouth, always having to take whatever crap our Gestapo HQ masters want to heap on us.) :idea:

Shirley, it's a no brainer...

Plugger666 wrote:
+3

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

The issue of the lease over JO was raised again. (On another post, but I'm responding here as an excuse to once more bump 'Homeward Bound'. :) )

Of course this is an important issue. However it wasn't raised as an issue under the previous government's plan to share the ground between us and cricket. I assume the $15 million in extra funding that our presence would have provided might have been good reason for that. :idea:

Besides, what's the real issue with a fairly shared lease?

Sharing means everyone shares in...
- Extra funding for the JO redevelopment.
- Increased exposure/ media cover.
- Therefore increased sponsor interest.
- Increased synergy through shared resources and contacts.

Sharing also means shared use of the ground. But so what?

The Saints could do their preseason training over the road on the Trott Oval. Then return to JO once the cricket season is over. This is how it always used to be for all the footy teams. And this could be as early as early February if neither Victoria nor St Kilda CC are make the final/ the finals. And cricket can't use the ground in winter anyway... for obvious reasons. (And as it's not in our colours, I'm sure our Saints will be happy to have a lease condition inserted, not to use any yellow tape in public. :wink: )

This is not a zero-sum Donald Turnip-style negotiation. Done properly, and it's win/win. A no-brainer if ever there was one. :idea:

Plugger666 wrote:
+3

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dave - you must have some self interest in flogging this dead horse.

Seems very much like good old Casey Scorp to me, same issue....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Real Numpty
Club Player

We have to do something folks! Something to distract the Saints' membership constituency, believe me! So today I have announced, that I shall be calling in the army to help out, until I can obtain funding from the parliament to build a great wall around the Jerusalem Oval. There will be so much winning! And no Mexicans! #keepingStKildagreatagain

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Essentially we, the Kangas and the Dogs paid for Etihad Stadium. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94867&p=1718957#p1718916
SaintPav wrote:
Sainternist wrote:But what I don't understand is how we're in much greater debt than North Melbourne and Melbourne (they haven't played finals since 2006).
parkeysainter wrote:Moving to both Seaford and Moorabbin within a decade would have cost a shitload.
Perhaps Archie Fraser and Greg Westaway should be both footing the bill for this misdemeanour?
We were losing about one million a year at Docklands. :shock: :evil: :shock:

Melbourne doesn’t have anything like that deal at the G. They were a complete rabble a few years ago and are probably still on AFL life support.

Supporters of some other teams like Hawthorn have amnesia when it comes to their own clubs.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94867&p=1718957#p1718956

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The Junction oval???
Seriously?
Give it up.
FFS.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:The Junction oval???
Seriously?
Give it up.
FFS.
Hi IWMS, I remember plenty of very passionate posts from you in the past. :) And plenty of them lamenting how our beloved Saintas are faring... both on and off the field.

Finances are the main reason why we aren't the powerhouse that we should be. The figures are presented time and again throughout this thread.

If we keep going with the status quo, we'll keep getting the status quo. :idea:

And for our Saints, the status quo on field means bouncing along the bottom, occasionally rising up, only to see yet another Saint's hard luck story deny us, before we head back to the bottom. :( Sure, we may one day get (very) lucky and pinch another flag. But if a team only appears very occasionally at the top, then a hellova' lot of luck is needed. Whereas, a perennial finalist will win flags, with or without luck. :idea:

And for our Saints, the status quo off-field means that extinction is never too far away, and therefore we always have to bow to Gestapo HQ so that we receive a financial lifeline.

IWMS... as you are a passionate Saints person... seriously... I know that simply continuing this Saints'-style status quo is... seriously not what you want...

Plugger666 wrote:
+3

Saint 58
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:The Junction oval???
Seriously?
Give it up.
FFS.
Hi IWMS, I remember plenty of very passionate posts from you in the past. :) And plenty of them lamenting how our beloved Saintas are faring... both on and off the field.

Finances are the main reason why we aren't the powerhouse that we should be. The figures are presented time and again throughout this thread.

If we keep going with the status quo, we'll keep getting the status quo. :idea:

And for our Saints, the status quo on field means bouncing along the bottom, occasionally rising up, only to see yet another Saint's hard luck story deny us, before we head back to the bottom. :( Sure, we may one day get (very) lucky and pinch another flag. But if a team only appears very occasionally at the top, then a hellova' lot of luck is needed. Whereas, a perennial finalist will win flags, with or without luck. :idea:

And for our Saints, the status quo off-field means that extinction is never too far away, and therefore we always have to bow to Gestapo HQ so that we receive a financial lifeline.

IWMS... as you are a passionate Saints person... seriously... I know that simply continuing this Saints'-style status quo is... seriously not what you want...

Plugger666 wrote:
+3
Could not agree more !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The Junction Oval...

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Image
Dave and his hobby horse.

Love it.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Down comes the GG Huggins stand. Why does the name and scenario sound familiar? :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

''Home'' clubs at the MCG, Richmond and Melbourne, get only 41 per cent of match revenue.

At Etihad it falls to 36 per cent for the likes of St Kilda, North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Western Bulldogs.

Geelong, by contrast, trousers 90 per cent of the gate at its home ground

and, at what used to be known as Subiaco Oval but is now Perth-based stockbroker Patersons' stadium, West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers pocket 77 per cent of the takings. In Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, local clubs get 51 per cent of the takings.

Much of the difference is that the two main Melbourne grounds do not have the same partisan memberships, so that the base cost for renting either the MCG or Etihad is a higher hurdle to clear for the lower-ranked clubs because they do not draw sufficient crowds.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/grounds ... 1kzfp.html

And what adds to the scariness of this... the article is from 2011. And this 'deal' is still in place.

Plugger666 wrote:
+3
Otiman wrote:Time to bring back smaller, cheaper to run, better for the fans stadiums. You only have to look as far as Geelong to see it happen. Even Carlton has something that's usable. I don't think public transport options around Moorabbin are good enough, but grounds like Junction Oval could be built to house sub 20k games. (Dave's edit: JO has shown it can hold crowds over 20K.)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dave that article is 7 years old, just like your attitude on this subject.

The stadium deals have improved for the MCG and Jihad.

Gee you post some garbage on this subject.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's not that the Junction Oval idea doesn't have appeal. It does; at least from the romantic angle.

It's just simply that it can NEVER happen and will NEVER happen.

So continuing to bring it up is just silly and a waste of time.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Dave that article is 7 years old, just like your attitude on this subject.

The stadium deals have improved for the MCG and Jihad.

Gee you post some garbage on this subject.
SP, why didn't you let me know that you'd be posting that the article was seven years old? Would have saved me from having to bother to post that fact in my post right above. :P

Improved stadium deals??? That's (still) news to me. And as of very recently, still news to Matt Finnis. So SP, looks like I'll have to admit that you're clearly more up to speed than I am. Could you then, let me (and Matt F) know the new and improved terms of our stadium deal/s?

Personally, I'm particularly keen to know if we will now be netting $825K Hillbilly-style from an average crowd of 26,000?

That will be sooooo much better than us continuing to pay out $73K when we draw a 26,000 crowd. Now that's a deal that's truly garbage, wouldn't you agree...?

Plugger666 wrote:
+3
Otiman wrote:Time to bring back smaller, cheaper to run, better for the fans stadiums. You only have to look as far as Geelong to see it happen. Even Carlton has something that's usable. I don't think public transport options around Moorabbin are good enough, but grounds like Junction Oval could be built to house sub 20k games. (Dave's edit: JO has shown it can hold crowds over 20K.)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:It's not that the Junction Oval idea doesn't have appeal...
Doc, you're not starting to go soft on us, are you...? :P

Hey Doc. You should post more! This place is way more fun than cardigan city. (Your memes are missed too. And you have Mates missing you also.) :D

Plugger666 wrote:
+3

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Here's one way to make us relevant to the competition, and 'destination' club to players. :idea:

Plugger666 wrote:
+3

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Can you also try and get South back to the other end of the lake? We can then also have the Army Reserve Cup there.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Can you also try and get South back to the other end of the lake? We can then also have the Army Reserve Cup there.
South Melbourne footy club haven't existed since the early 80's. They were replaced (as distinct from relocated :idea: ), by the VFL/AFL's first Frankenchaise, aka the Sydney Swines. :evil:

That said Jack, I do very much like your basic idea. :D I'd love for us to eventually play the Swines at our JO. (And don't rule it out. :wink: )

Dave McNamara wrote:Here's one way to make us relevant to the competition, and 'destination' club to players. :idea:

Plugger666 wrote:
+3