Geary the blueprint for future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary the blueprint for future

i want to see him in the middle more

even if its for a bit at a time

1433davids
Club Player

I would love for the coaching staff to give geary some quality time in the middle The biggest problem at the saints is for a lot of the players statistically they are brilliant against the the bottom teams but fall away dramatically against quality opposition we have a great void now between our best players eg hayes, montagna, reivolt & players that might be something in the future eg Stanley saad sippos, I do love the early sighns from mcevoy robinson geary though . also no one I have seen in the starting lineup so far this year is doing kosi,s job as good as he has done it. What a wasted talent Kosi became ( no fault of his own in my opinion ) would have stared in a team that wanted a n old school full forward that would direct a decent amount of ball through him

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i want to see him in the middle more

even if its for a bit at a time
Me too...

He'd win his fair share.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he gets better each week......something to be thankful for......maybe he will end up as good as lenny at this rate....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's very good at picking up the loose ball, wouldn't mind seeing him get sometime on the ball. I think it would suit him myself.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Wright in the team they can try Geary in a few other positions...one the ball, tagging, hf....

We need to test all of our likelies out, and not just in one role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
groupie1
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Seriously....while Geary has great heart....that some see him as our saviour shows how lowly we have sunk.

If he is our best, then that just confirms that in the here and now that we are a bottom 4 team.

Geary is our new Blake, ore new Baker. A guy that will work hard, bleed for the club and will pay many many games.

But if he is our best, we are doomed.
Agree with that.. but i think I havent made myself clear with what Im trying to say here.

Hes no saviour. Hes not our best and Im hoping he remains a good honest and solid citizen for another 5 years.

But we got him pick 58 in the Rookie draft!!!

The point is he we have got the best out of him and turned him into a genuine AFL player.

Hes the development blueprint - If we can get a guy like Geary 58 in the Rookie and turn him into an AFL player who plays 200 games - well imagine what we can do if we get some serious talent in if we have the right development culture???

What im saying is if we develop all our kids and get the same amount of improvement and gradual devolopment we are seeing from Jarryn - well we are doing the right thing as a club and we will get success.

Sooner or later we are going to have some real guns walk into the club - and we want to make sure we are set up to get the most of people with a little, some, and a LOT of talent.

If you cant take your hat off to someone like Geary and want to wait for a superstar to walk in off the street with mega talent and save us all well then we will fail and never win a flag. That has been the Saints way in the past.

Lets have a system that maximises talent. Thats what Jarryn has done. Thats why hes my blueprint player (not because I think he is a saviour or anything)
I got your point. Its a good point, and it seems a lot of people missed it.
Geary is the Geelong model. Get the best possible in, BUT really develop them to get the best they can possibly give.

Geelong's system must be studied. They're either picking guns that nobody else is seeing, or their development is good. I'll one thing I notice is they appear to go for size - i.e. correct sizes for AFL. So, if you're 6' 2" and you can kick, come to us, we'll turn you into a footballer.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone notice he had a turn in there tonight and was rewarded with a clearance?

Unlucky not to get two goals, this on the back of being up there at the club for score assists this year.

Perfect mould for a modern day midfielder.

Would be disappointed if he didn't get a run in there when Newnes comes back to assist Wright.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Gutsy blue collar-type player. A shame these players aren't exactly in abundance these days.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:A shame these players aren't exactly in abundance these days.
At least we've managed to find one clone so far.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintly
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Sainternist wrote:A shame these players aren't exactly in abundance these days.
At least we've managed to find one clone so far.

who?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

Was seeing what happened to St Fid who appeared I this thread from 2013.

SainterK got her wish as Gears captain. Some interesting obs. Gears hasn't become a midfielder the ilk of Lenny but is still blue collar and effective.

Con was right about building the list also.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Con was right about building the list also.
Con Gorozidis wrote: You can't trade your way to a flag .
While yes you need to develop what you have, you equally need to get the right players by trade.

What Premiership Team for a while has not traded in?

Dogs Boyd. Though yes mainly grrew their own.
Hawks. Endless were their traded in players.
Swans. Endless were their traded in players.
Cats. Had key players like Ottens and Mooney. And where would they be with Danger now? Plus they now have raft of traded in players.
Pies. Where would they have been without Jolly?

I look at our list now and I see the need for right traded in missing piece of the puzzle.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Like alcohol, Gears is the cause, and cure of all our problems.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

You win footy matches because of what you do with the ball in your hands.

IF you win contests then can not use the ball in a decisive and incisive way then the advantage won because you win in the contest is lost - and, worse, you suffer terminal damage on the rebound.

So the absolute requirement is to field a side where we want the ball in each of the player's hands - where there are no weak links.

And this is where the problem is with Geary, and particularly given he is mid sized.

Geary is a player, by my assessment, any opposition are unconcerned about with ball in hand.

Geary would never be the subject of a "defensive" forward.

And that is the measurement if St Kilda wish to progress.

When we have the ball in hand, we hurt - and we hurt bad.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:You win footy matches because of what you do with the ball in your hands.

IF you win contests then can not use the ball in a decisive and incisive way then the advantage won because you win in the contest is lost - and, worse, you suffer terminal damage on the rebound.

So the absolute requirement is to field a side where we want the ball in each of the player's hands - where there are no weak links.

And this is where the problem is with Geary, and particularly given he is mid sized.

Geary is a player, by my assessment, any opposition are unconcerned about with ball in hand.

Geary would never be the subject of a "defensive" forward.

And that is the measurement if St Kilda wish to progress.

When we have the ball in hand, we hurt - and we hurt bad.
This. Gears is a wonderful role model and an internal leader. The problem is that one area where we are clearly deficient is creating scoring opportunities from defensive 50's. We are one of the worst in the league for this. Apart from Robbo (now being tagged) and Webster (now injured) and Newnes, we have nothing. Brown is a stopper, Jake a gun intercept marker, and Gilbo, who's kamikaze style is hit and miss. Mainly miss. So we are way behind in this crucial area in the modern game. Geary would be best utilised as a midfield tagger. This week he could go to Sloane. He should go to the best midfielder the opposition each week because his ability to shut down is proven, and the tagger is back in vogue.

Gears simply lacks the skill to be that damaging rebounder. He's constantly looking for the short, sideways chip, rather than the risky, long kick to advantage. He clearly knows his own limitations, which is good, but it doesn't help the team. I think Long or Rice might be long term solutions in Gears current role. If we are to progress, we have to define his role more closely. He is a "Mike Brearley" type of captain. Not good enough to hold his place on skill and ability alone. Great leader, though. Over to you, coaches.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

The reason Roberton is dangerous is that he has both a right and left side kicking ability.

The value of Gilbert and Roberton replicates, with Gilbert having more versatility but exclusively left sided.

There was a time when you skilled yourself on your "non preferred" side to the extent that you solely used that side to have no preference, both by hand and by foot.

The progression of the game (in various facets) seems to have negated the requirement to be equally proficient on both sides.

Roberton is our one player who is equally proficient but only by foot.

Gilbert coming out of defence can be pressured onto his right side, then needing to keep the ball whilst negotiating onto his left and allowing time for defensive set ups by the opposition.

In terms of Geary, no doubt he has endurance BUT he does not have pace.

There is a clear difference, especially in today's game.

I do not know that Geary would have the necessary pace to lock down on the competition's elite midfielders - how would he go on Jack Steven?