Essendope

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Essendope

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 20 Apr 2017 2:57pm

One wonders which might keel over 1st - The Bomber or The 'Saga'?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... vogq5.html

Didn't happen to toddle along to your Institoot for a listen, didya Semp?

But, in amongst Bomber's general spill of what he had for lunch, he's actually highlighting some of the real guts of the whole criminal enterprise.

For instance;

"It got proved at a federal court that they had a meeting between the government, AFL, ASADA and Essendon and said, 'Right, we'll let players off', which is crap. All right? Crap. They shouldn't be making those statements.

"They said, 'no club is going to get fined, we'll just get a few heads to take the fall for us all'. That's it. Before anyone was interviewed, before the investigation started. So Dave Evans was working with them unfortunately."

He is, of course, referring to the 'intervention' by The Zelk's "Wylie Coyote". And, oddly, particularly for Bomber.....HE'S RIGHT!!! It stunk when it happened, and it still stinks now. It's a very durable stink.

He also nails....just about, another key to the travesty (a bit of coherence might boost his cred, methinks), on Dank;

"He probably shouldn't have got the job in the first place because he shouldn't have been allowed to work at Essendon because he had actually been known to have WADA-prohibited substances used and bought on his patients in his clinics.

"The WADA rule says that anyone who has any dealings with that is not allowed to work in the sporting field – AFL included. So the fact that he worked for the AFL's club Gold Coast a year before he came to Essendon is a problem in itself, isn't it? If they had been diligent and stopped him from working there, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have employed him."

As for him finally raising the relevance of WADA, well, better late than never. On the upside, it would seem he's probably come to that himself, which does show some progress.

He doesn't seem all that enamoured with the immediate past CEO of the AwFuL, either. That get's a tick.

So, stay angry and press on Bomber, we're with ya.....

....seriously. If a man presents himself as potentially useful, I can forgive a lot.

And, I have more patience than Job(e).
"Gad! This comic's a real page turner. It's thlopping over with gripping suspense." - Daffy Duck (just 'cos he's a duck).
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby SemperFidelis » Thu 20 Apr 2017 3:33pm

ToT, I had actually meant to post the invitation reminder I received yesterday to this thread, but I had a quick look and couldn't find the thread at all!

It was advertised as "Last chance to hear from Bomber Thompson".

I wish.

ToT, I thought you might have liked to ask a few questions.

No doubt the Lawdons bought out the whole event and bowled up a few dorothy dixers ...
Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Postby White Winmar » Thu 20 Apr 2017 4:42pm

AwFuL. Pure gold, ToT!
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Postby IanRush » Thu 20 Apr 2017 4:51pm

The best line in the whole saga is that he lost his wife Jana..... who Thommo stole from Kent Kingsley in 2006, and that is why there was a player revolt at Geelong in 2006, and the Costa led "review" of Thompson in 2006.....

Justice is sweet. Hird and Tania have marital problems, now the Cognitive One has marital problems!

Next up: The Wylie/McGuire/Melbourne con to get rid of AOC presdient John Coates as payback for Coates role in CAS, who eradicated Essendon!

The OtherThommo wrote:One wonders which might keel over 1st - The Bomber or The 'Saga'?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... vogq5.html

Former Essendon assistant and interim senior coach Mark Thompson says he cannot let go of the supplements scandal that engulfed the club for four years – and believes it will end up killing him.

A candid Thompson was a keynote speaker at a Law Institute of Victoria panel discussion about drugs in sport on Thursday morning.

He revealed the whole saga left him "bitter and twisted" and probably led to the breakdown of his marriage to his second wife Jana last year.

Thompson, who was fined $30,000 for his role in the biggest doping scandal the sport has ever seen, doesn't like football any more and said he has no intention of ever being involved in the AFL system again.

"I lost my wife because of it, I reckon, because I was up at night reading about all my exploits on the internet, catching up on tomorrow's news as it came out."
USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Thu 20 Apr 2017 4:54pm

Here is the LIV invite for Thommo to speak:

https://www.liv.asn.au/Professional-Practice/Ethics

LIV Ethics - Law Institute of Victoria
https://www.liv.asn.au/Professional-Practice/Ethics
Read through the current conduct rules for legal professionals and access previous rules ... Touching on his experiences with anti-doping laws, Mark “Bomber” Thompson will join Olympic gold ... Thu 20 Apr - 07:00 AM ...

Further to Thommo:

The triple premiership Essendon player blamed former chairman David Evans for it and accused him of working to closely with the AFL instead of trying to protect the people at the club he represented.

It has long been alleged that former AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou tipped off Evans that the Bombers were in ASADA's sights the night before Essendon self-reported.
USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
IanRush
Club Player

Postby Johnny Member » Thu 20 Apr 2017 6:38pm

Thompson was "staggered" that the entire truth of what happened during the supplements scandal hasn't been revealed yet and believes there are a lot of people trying to hide the truth.

Well FFS Bomber tell us!!

Why do we keep hearing this s***?? If the truth hasn't come out, why don't you let it out?
Johnny Member
SS Life Member

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 20 Apr 2017 7:37pm

SemperFidelis wrote:ToT, I had actually meant to post the invitation reminder I received yesterday to this thread, but I had a quick look and couldn't find the thread at all!

It was advertised as "Last chance to hear from Bomber Thompson".

I wish.

ToT, I thought you might have liked to ask a few questions.

No doubt the Lawdons bought out the whole event and bowled up a few dorothy dixers ...

I had to progress to Page 3 of the Index to find the thread, Semp. But, that's OK, I have the patience of Job(e) - by crikey, don't I just adhere to phonetic correctness.

Me? Ask a few questions? Never!

The "Lawdons"? An actual firm, or just the Dons of the Law, Semp? Don't forget, babe in the woods, here.

Dons? Why do I hate that?

And, "woods"!!

Intristing how the club now headed by the former ALP snr minister, and 'power broker', one Lindsay Tanner, has taken to the arbitrage available from being given control of the ticket pricing for clubs playing home games. The Dopers coitanly seem to fancy gouging their own, and everybody else, for 'events' like ANZAC Day at the G.

But, there really is something going on out here in citizen land, and it involves the word "Overreach".

Brought to you by the master of the 'AFL free market', one Andy Detrimental, architect of all things gougathon, puppet master to quite probably the whole McLachlin polo playing playing empire, and deep personal friend of the wholly father Kezza reduced Cap'n of the Crown empire, wee Jamie the Inadequate.
"Gad! This comic's a real page turner. It's thlopping over with gripping suspense." - Daffy Duck (just 'cos he's a duck).
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 20 Apr 2017 9:04pm

Johnny Member wrote:Thompson was "staggered" that the entire truth of what happened during the supplements scandal hasn't been revealed yet and believes there are a lot of people trying to hide the truth.

Why do we keep hearing this s***?? If the truth hasn't come out, why don't you let it out?

This is my 2nd crack at this, JM - why does the joint drop out so often around 7 PM'ish, up here in the Monash Uni precinct? By fork, it's frustrating.

De Bomber is exhibiting what I've long said would come to various of the 'players' in this crap fest. I've always said some would rail against 'injustice', some would struggle with 'guilt', some would wake up late, some would be aggrieved by their own treatment (e.g. Wallis being one who was thrown under the expediency bus, which was referenced by De Bomber), some would worry about the risks to their future health, and others would be monstered by combinations of varying anxieties.

De Bomber has clearly experienced a few 'awakenings'. As I noted 1st up today, he is now mentioning the folly of hiring Dank, mentioning the relevance of WADA, and pointing straight at Evans. Throw in his, what is for De Bomber, clear point at Andy D, and you have the makings of a narrative.

I also value his obsession borne of whatever combination of the above it is that's got him obsessed.

What we need him to do is keep on the path e.g. maybe partner up with Wallis.

The AwFuL is yet another outfit driven by management speak bulls***, and the slope is steepening.

While AwFuL footy is far from life and death, the modus operandi they employ is straight from the same manifestos drawn up by those who do deal in life and death.

I'm midway through reading this extraordinary book - https://www.amazon.com/CIA-Organized-Cr ... 0997287012

The previous book I read was this - https://www.amazon.com/Whiteout-Drugs-P ... t+cockburn

Neither Douglas Valentine, who wrote the 1st, nor Jeffrey St.Clair & Alexander Cockburn, who wrote the 2nd, in any way shape or form fit the 'conspiracy theorists' model.

Valentine's book is truly extraordinary. He gained access to the highest and deepest echelons of the CIA, by running a con where he played on the various psychological motivations of those who were, and still are, involved in running operations like the "Phoenix Program".

All the pissant puppets, like those who run the AwFuL, fancy themselves as great managers. In fact, what they are is self-deluding adherents to the same sort of vaccuous tripe that manifests itself as a righteous superiority in the field of 'empire management', and a complete and utter disrespect and disregard for people who actually make societies and communities function, be they in Syria or huddled around the St.K.F.C.

It's not the criticality, it's the people who think it's critical, to them. It's a raging sense of self importance.

And, I hate them all.

The late Alexander Cockburn used to ask all budding journalists, who wanted to learn from him, one question up front:

"Is your hate pure?".

Mine is. But, I am patient.

Mr Baker has just checked in, so I best check in before the stir fry.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 20 Apr 2017 9:38pm

Just logged back in pre-stir fry, because I noticed this:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/media ... vosv1.html

Precarious, innit?

Or, to put it in the contra, sustainable?
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby Waltzing St Kilda » Thu 20 Apr 2017 11:12pm

The OtherThommo wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Thompson was "staggered" that the entire truth of what happened during the supplements scandal hasn't been revealed yet and believes there are a lot of people trying to hide the truth.

I'm midway through reading this extraordinary book - https://www.amazon.com/CIA-Organized-Cr ... 0997287012

Would order the book, TOT, but I'm not sure I want to be on the CIA's watchlist.
Waltzing St Kilda
Club Player

Postby White Winmar » Thu 20 Apr 2017 11:15pm

Too many people and interests in this have too much to lose if the truth emerges. Bizarrely, including Bomber himself. I suspect his protests are made to rehabilitate his own reputation, knowing full well that the whole truth will never be allowed to emerge. The truth will damage him as much as anyone. Perhaps he feels he has nothing left to lose as he'll never work in the industry again, his relationships and reputiation are permanently damaged and he risks descending into a James Hird like hell.

For now, at least, it seems as though he's playing the game of the martyr, the good guy who's been shafted by the evil manipulators at HQ and the regulatory bodies. Sorry Bomber. Your prints are all over this and you've gotten everything you deserve. And it's your fault as much as anyone else's.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Postby The OtherThommo » Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:36am

White Winmar wrote:

Too many people and interests in this have too much to lose if the truth emerges. Bizarrely, including Bomber himself. I suspect his protests are made to rehabilitate his own reputation, knowing full well that the whole truth will never be allowed to emerge. The truth will damage him as much as anyone. Perhaps he feels he has nothing left to lose as he'll never work in the industry again, his relationships and reputiation are permanently damaged and he risks descending into a James Hird like hell.

For now, at least, it seems as though he's playing the game of the martyr, the good guy who's been shafted by the evil manipulators at HQ and the regulatory bodies. Sorry Bomber. Your prints are all over this and you've gotten everything you deserve. And it's your fault as much as anyone else's.

While I agree there is a lot of the martyr in his display, WW, I don't think it's only martyr.

This quote from yesdee's article is an example of why I think there's more going on his noggin than mere 'poor, poor pitiful me'. The emphases are mine.

"It got proved at a federal court that they had a meeting between the government, AFL, ASADA and Essendon and said, 'Right, we'll let players off', which is crap. All right? Crap. They shouldn't be making those statements.

"They said, 'no club is going to get fined, we'll just get a few heads to take the fall for us all'. That's it. Before anyone was interviewed, before the investigation started. So Dave Evans was working with them unfortunately."

Mr B's a very empathetic and, at times, sympathetic fella. This is part of his response to the noos, yesdee:

"Perhaps it is the Geelong fan in me but I do have some sympathy for Thompson in that this has consumed him with anger, guilt, regret etc.

Not a good place for anyone to be."

My response, in part;

"Right from the kick-off, he seemed caught between being the ‘good company man’ and suspicions things weren’t quite right.

I think what we’re seeing now is the result of him trying to resolve that internal conflict. When the ‘good company man’ was prevailing, early on, he grabbed at nonsense from the fringe e.g. ‘everything was “safe”, even while admitting they didn’t know all of the players were given – that sort of stuff is unsustainable in the human mind – it’s not internally resolvable (as long as complete delusion and dissonance hasn’t triumphed). Now that he’s ‘out of the system’, the bias toward confirmation of the groupthink has no hold over him – now he references the WADA platform, where he wouldn’t touch it before – E’dope as a self contained entity who knew enough to not need standards and behavioural codes to at least guide them, if not to govern by – quasi libertarianism sold as a management philosophy.

While it is an unfortunate place for anyone to be, he has 2 choices – catharsis or suppression, and I doubt suppression will get the job done."

And, on the death at Hooper's joint (he hadn't heard), Mr.B. added;

"As for Hooper, well what can you say? Poor patient. But how the hell can anyone at a professional sports club thought his place was an appropriate venue for practicing "dark arts"."

More to the point, how the hell is Hooper allowed to 'practice'?
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby sendmehomehappy » Sun 23 Apr 2017 2:45am

This series, set on much loved prime real-estate, covers quite a few football and social issues.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/warriors/IP1509V008S00

The final episode featuring Scotty Watson's, 'Whatever It Takes' and co-starring the ASADA numpties is an absolute classic.

A fair pi$$take I'd say...
Read my new eBook: "The Siren of Seoul: Circling the Wagons"
Many Saints fans will feel a strong connection to several of the characters, and if they're honest enough, the themes too.
http://store.bookbaby.com/book/the-siren-of-seoul
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Postby st.byron » Sun 23 Apr 2017 3:46am

White Winmar wrote:
Too many people and interests in this have too much to lose if the truth emerges.

Are you able, in as much of a nutshell as you so desire, to say what you think the truth is WW?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Postby IanRush » Sun 23 Apr 2017 7:58am

James Hird on gay radio station Joy FM spruiking his new Colombian inspired Chocolate Business, Cacao Hunters http://www.theage.com.au/sport/reclusiv ... vq91b.html
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Mon 24 Apr 2017 3:01pm

Hmmmm, Sharp's time at WCE matches the 2006 crew.....

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/forme ... vr38e.html

Former West Coast Eagles footballer Ben Sharp has been jailed for at least six years for an ice-fuelled armed robbery in which he and two others stole $287,000 from a security guard at gunpoint.

Sharp this year blamed his descent from an elite junior footballer to an ice user with a $200 daily habit on the drug culture he encountered at the Eagles when he joined the AFL club as a teenager in 2004.

The County Court heard in February that while at West Coast Sharp was told by a group of then senior players that he was "either in or you're out", a reference to drug use. He soon became a regular cocaine user and tried ice for the first time.

"Either you used or you left," judge Geoffrey Chettle said on Monday. "You chose the former."
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Mon 15 May 2017 2:26pm

This was posted in the Carlisle/Murphy thread, but I will add this here, as the irony should not be lost that JOBE'S DAD is calling for a Sledging Code of Conduct, trying to protect HIS SON, and the ESSENDON FOOTBALL CLUB much hey Tim?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/05/14/ ... de-watson/

WATSON: PLAYERS NEED SLEDGING CODE

FORMER Essendon champion Tim Watson has called for AFL players to consider a code of conduct of their own for onfield sledging.

The conversation stems from an ugly incident on Saturday afternoon when Carlton captain Marc Murphy took umbrage to a barb from St Kilda players.

The actual sledge has not been made public but it is not of a racial, homophobic or religious nature.

"It is of a family nature. It's a personal family thing that was pointed out on the weekend and that is why Murphy reacted in the way that he did," Watson said on SEN 1116.
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Sun 21 May 2017 5:48pm

Sorry to rehash thread. But ex Age cartoonist Larry Pickering thinks something big is about to blow in Aussie Sports Doping. http://www.pickeringpost.com/story/spor ... drugs/7162
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Sun 21 May 2017 8:20pm

Supreme Court writ against Gillon McLachlan lodged 18 May 2017 https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/ ... promo=true
IanRush
Club Player

Postby IanRush » Mon 22 May 2017 2:11pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... w75xf.html

MAY 17 2017
Dons debt drive ahead of schedule after crowd surge
Rohan Connolly

Essendon is poised to make a bigger than expected dint in the club's $9 million debt after breaking membership and attendance records over the first third of the AFL season.

The $9.8 million loss last year came as the club counted the legal costs of the supplements scandal, leaving a traditionally well-off club with a debt of more than $9 million.

The loss took in player compensation claims and legal fees of $4.5 million, $1.5 million spent on short-term contracts for players in order to field an AFL team after the suspension of a dozen players by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, $3.1 million of lost revenue and gate takings, and another $806,000 as the club wrote off assets at their old home ground of Windy Hill.

Essendon has determined to rebrand itself in the aftermath of the scandal, and is also paying more than lip service to its attempt to be the most inclusive club in the AFL.
IanRush
Club Player

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon 22 May 2017 2:23pm

IanRush wrote:Supreme Court writ against Gillon McLachlan lodged 18 May 2017 https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/ ... promo=true

This had no legs two years ago and no matter how long he makes his pleading, he will never get over about 10 fundamental problems with his case.

A disgraceful waste of Court time and the money of any Injectors supporter naive enough to donate to him.
Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Postby whiskers3614 » Mon 22 May 2017 10:26pm

IanRush wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dons-debt-drive-ahead-of-schedule-after-crowd-surge-20170517-gw75xf.html

MAY 17 2017
Dons debt drive ahead of schedule after crowd surge
Rohan Connolly

Essendon is poised to make a bigger than expected dint in the club's $9 million debt after breaking membership and attendance records over the first third of the AFL season.

The $9.8 million loss last year came as the club counted the legal costs of the supplements scandal, leaving a traditionally well-off club with a debt of more than $9 million.

The loss took in player compensation claims and legal fees of $4.5 million, $1.5 million spent on short-term contracts for players in order to field an AFL team after the suspension of a dozen players by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, $3.1 million of lost revenue and gate takings, and another $806,000 as the club wrote off assets at their old home ground of Windy Hill.

Essendon has determined to rebrand itself in the aftermath of the scandal, and is also paying more than lip service to its attempt to be the most inclusive club in the AFL.

Can one of our more erudite posters explain the misuse of dint in place of dent to Mr Conolly and his editor" :cry:
whiskers3614
SS Life Member

Postby Con Gorozidis » Mon 22 May 2017 11:08pm

SemperFidelis wrote:
IanRush wrote:Supreme Court writ against Gillon McLachlan lodged 18 May 2017 https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/ ... promo=true

This had no legs two years ago and no matter how long he makes his pleading, he will never get over about 10 fundamental problems with his case.

A disgraceful waste of Court time and the money of any Injectors supporter naive enough to donate to him.

Entirely inconsequential and the bloke who lodged it has no interest in the issue whatsoever. For starters. God he must be bored. Most long-winded piece of rubbish I have had the displeasure of skimming.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Postby Waltzing St Kilda » Fri 09 Jun 2017 5:16am

PAGING TOT!

FORMER Essendon star Nathan Lovett-Murray says he fears the drugs he was given during the club’s injections program have caused his daughter health problems.

The family says Harmony, 3, who was conceived about a year after the Bombers’ disastrous 2012 supplements regimen was stopped, is suffering from a mystery chest growth and behavioural problems.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that the injection program we were put through has had some impact on my daughter,” Lovett-Murray, 34, said.

“It’s something I think about every day.”

The Herald Sun can reveal Lovett-­Murray, one of 34 Bombers banned for two years for doping, is preparing a $1 million Supreme Court damages claim against the club after compensation negotiations ­collapsed.

Lovett-Murray will allege the saga caused him severe stress, anxiety and depression.

He is claiming he experienced pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and financial loss as a result of negligence, a breach of statutory duty, and misleading and deceptive conduct.

The former defender will claim that the stigma of being labelled a “drug cheat” has caused worry for him and his extended family.

He believes his standing in the indigenous community has also been permanently damaged.

Lovett-Murray says he has been advised that any legal action regarding his daughter must be made separately.

He and his former partner, Renee Sweetman, told of fears for Harmony.

“What were we taking — we’re still unsure what we were being given — and how is that going to affect my health and also my children’s health?” Lovett-Murray said.

“There have been health concerns (with Harmony) and we have seen some specialists.

“There are some behavioural things that we are concerned about, and there was a hole in her chest that was leaking mucus, and we still don’t know what it is. They’ve got to do more tests, but those tests cost more money,” he said.

Lovett-Murray said he had spoken to the club.

“They have pretty much just said: ‘Go to a specialist and come back to us’,” he said.

The club said: “After Nathan’s management raised concerns with regard to this matter (Harmony’s health) in the first half of 2016, the club offered its support on various occasions. The club has not heard anything further from Nathan or his management on this matter for almost a year now, but remains committed to supporting him in any way possible.

“Nathan’s claim is being dealt with in an identical framework and process to that of the other 33 players … the club has now settled 31 of these claims and is making every attempt to bring all claims to a conclusion in a timely and appropriate manner.”

The club’s latest settlement offer, last month, was rejected.

Ms Sweetman told the Herald Sun: “She (Harmony) was almost 1 when she got a really large lump on her chest. It was there for about six months and we took her to the hospital and to different doctors, and they couldn’t find what the problem was. But my major concern is her behaviour. Her behaviour has never been normal. I know something isn’t right.

“There’s also something else on her chest. It has mucus in it and it’s like a little hole … they don’t know what it is. It’s very terrifying.”

The 145-game veteran’s ban for using banned peptide Thymosin-beta 4 cost him a job as playing coach of Shepparton’s Rumbalara club. Essendon has covered a season’s lost wages.

“I’m extremely disappointed with the club after what they have put me through over the last four years,” Lovett-Murray said.

“I just feel like they are trying to screw me over — and not just myself, but my family. They’re a big business and there is a bit of arrogance about them. But I spent 10 years at that club and have been put through hell.

“To be treated like this, as a life member ... they’ve tarnished my name and my family’s name. (It’s) tarnished my name in the Aboriginal community, and I’ve worked hard in building that through community work.”
Waltzing St Kilda
Club Player

Postby saintspremiers » Fri 09 Jun 2017 7:42am

Sainstational is behind you Mr Lovett-Murray
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)