Let's face it, it's time to rebuild.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

twirlyhair
Club Player

Let's face it, it's time to rebuild.

Let's be honest, this team has had its chance to win a flag, and now the game has passed it by. Time to rebuild and plan aggressively for a flag in 4-6 years. With our best player in Harvey finishing, I believe it is also time for a few others to pack their bags. Thoughts?

JeffDunne

I think you're nuts.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Can you tell me where are shows we are 0-6 and in the bottom two?

To early to call at this stage

Before Im 85
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

lets face it, you only post when you have something negative to contribute :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
twirlyhair
Club Player

My right to question our abilty?

saint66au wrote:lets face it, you only post when you have something negative to contribute :roll:
Surely I have the right to give my opinion and am happy for people to discuss the issue...it seems too many people on here (like yourself) want to play the man and not the ball....

bergsone
SS Life Member

Ask me again at seasons end.Arent we 4-3,in the 8 and a finals contender

twirlyhair
Club Player

bergsone wrote:Ask me again at seasons end.Arent we 4-3,in the 8 and a finals contender
Yes we are in the 8, but so is half the competition. My argument is based upon the belief that the current playing group can't win the flag. Endemic problems (midfield goalkicking, general skill level, ability to manage and prevent injuries, overated high draft picks, very poor last 6 players etc) still exist, and they won't go away. Only honest assessments (even though they hurt!) is the only way to future success.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

sack the coach first :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Don't we have 9 new players that weren't there in 2006?

I'd say we are rebuilding.

Red
Club Player

While he may not be right. I think he has a point.

If we had won the 04 flag and I have no doubt we should have.

We would have being looking at overhauling the squad by now, but because

we didn't and trying to keep the dream alive we trade for guys who may

give us some service but are never going to be stars. Schneider if he stays

fit being the exception.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Without Roo, Goose and a host of others, we're going to struggle to improve our position and any run at the top four just about seems impossible - unless our squad shows character it hasn't shown since 1997.

However, I think we'll get more than enough opportunities to give game time to guys like McEvoy, Allen, Armitage and Geary.

Be nice if Gwilt, Howard and Steven can squeeze in a couple of runs. I don't think Connors or the rookies will see any action this year.

Inherently, I think that means we'll be blooding plenty of young players anyway, without rebuilding.

I'd rather play these blokes then use players like Blake, Jones and Rix, who simply aren't part of the future of this football club. I have to say, I am *this* close to adding R Clarke to that list. Any player who makes as many stupid decisions as he does (they are now costing us 2-3 goals per game and stifling several of our forward thrusts) can't really be considered part of the future, can they?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Be patient while the Harvey cloning experiments are completed.

He will rise again.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Let's face it, it's time to rebuild.

twirlyhair wrote:Let's be honest, this team has had its chance to win a flag, and now the game has passed it by. Time to rebuild and plan aggressively for a flag in 4-6 years. With our best player in Harvey finishing, I believe it is also time for a few others to pack their bags. Thoughts?
Can't agree with that statement, i truly believe that this list is capable of beating anyone it just depends on the list coming together as a cohesive unit!
Harvey can still win that elusive flag before he hangs up the boots, hell if he continues playing like he has i would love for him to play on next year! but that is just the selfish person inside talking :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's face it, it's time to rebuild.

Buckets wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:Let's be honest, this team has had its chance to win a flag, and now the game has passed it by. Time to rebuild and plan aggressively for a flag in 4-6 years. With our best player in Harvey finishing, I believe it is also time for a few others to pack their bags. Thoughts?
Can't agree with that statement, i truly believe that this list is capable of beating anyone it just depends on the list coming together as a cohesive unit!
Harvey can still win that elusive flag before he hangs up the boots, hell if he continues playing like he has i would love for him to play on next year! but that is just the selfish person inside talking :wink:
I dont think this list can beat Hawthorn or Geelong but we may be able to beat the rest but you dont give up yet because those 2 sides may have injuries then we may be capable of beating them.

twirlyhair
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Don't we have 9 new players that weren't there in 2006?

Then we need to play them...which means letting players from the current group go....and then giving this group time to develop together...like we did in 03, 04 and 05....

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

No! Develop and nurture what we have...It's good that Hawks and Cats are flying now....Lets just gather momentum coming into finals...Weren't the dogs on top at this stage last year?

twirlyhair
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:No! Develop and nurture what we have...It's good that Hawks and Cats are flying now....Lets just gather momentum coming into finals...Weren't the dogs on top at this stage last year?
Yes but my point is that the current group has been nurtured and has consistently shown that it doesnt have the capabilities........the game has changed very quickly in the last two years and the current list is not capable of playing the modern game.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree plugger ,its a long season

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Don't we have 9 new players that weren't there in 2006?

Then we need to play them...which means letting players from the current group go....and then giving this group time to develop together...like we did in 03, 04 and 05....
Gardiner, Gardiner, Schneider, Demptser, Armitage and Birss played. Allen and McEvoy were emergencies and King would have played if he was fit.

Lyon has turned this list over, make no mistake.

What he 'inherited' is very different to what he's put together.

It's been rebuilt somewhat already. Whether 'topping up' was the right move by Lyon or not is yet to be seen however.

groupie1
Club Player

I'm not sure a 'rebuild' is what we want, but definitely grooming youngsters. this just requires a slight re-think - right now, we believe we have depth because we have Fiora, Blake, Dempster, L Fisher, Rix..... we need to believe we have depth because we have Geary, Armitage, McEvoy, Allen, Eddy etc, and play those guys instead - nothin like a few exciting youngsters to bolster a team's morale

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
starsign
Club Player

its definitely a long season and one can't predict the September action fully
Top sides can have three or 4 of their a-graders out by then and that can make the world of difference. And some of them are due to cop their share! (cats eg) Hell knows we certainly have had ours! Often what comes around, goes around Witness the Weagles!
We on the other hand who have had ENOUGH bad luck along these lines, could come finals time , have a full fit list and be up and firing (with the exception of Goose , and even then you never know)Theres been plenty of premiers who have struggled early with form and injuries then get it all together by September and go on to take the cup

Keep the faith! We can "team build " in 2009 if we have to
Lets build, develope playing as a better TEAM with what weve got now, and we can be right in it

Dazvolt
Club Player

Do not believe Ross has decided to top up. In his 1st draft we drafted kids, in his 2nd draft (07) he drafted another 3 kids, used our 2nd pick for two 23 year old premiership players and used pick 90 for King & Charlie. Not sure Ross has missed on much young talent given the recent draft was not all that strong. Has also used the rookie draft better than any other previous saints coaches. List wise i think he has made the right decisions.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dazvolt wrote:Do not believe Ross has decided to top up. In his 1st draft we drafted kids, in his 2nd draft (07) he drafted another 3 kids, used our 2nd pick for two 23 year old premiership players and used pick 90 for King & Charlie. Not sure Ross has missed on much young talent given the recent draft was not all that strong. Has also used the rookie draft better than any other previous saints coaches. List wise i think he has made the right decisions.
I concur I think the "Ross is topping up" line is based on a simplistic view of a few higher profile picks ignoring the other selections hes made.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We don't need a full rebuild, but we do need to offload 6 or 7 players at the end of the year and replace them with at least 5 kids (and NO MORE unwanted opposition fringe players).

At this stage it looks like Gehrig, Harvey and Ferguson are certainties to go, while Jones, Rix, Gwilt, Fiora, Birss, Dempster, Blake and Leigh Fisher are all under pressure. Max should play on as long as he manages to play 15 games and Goose is contracted for 2009.

ratismeat
Club Player

Crazy :roll: :roll: :roll: