Burgo's Phantom Draft - afl.com.au

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Burgo's Phantom Draft - afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabi ... wsId=53455
9 – ST KILDA – BEN McEVOY

Murray Bushrangers, Ruckman, July 11 1989, 200.2cm, 94.6kg

42 – ST KILDA – CHRIS KANGARS

Geelong Falcons, VIC, Tall defender, August 1 1989, 193.1cm, 84.9kg

57 – ST KILDA – HAELEN KAY

Gippsland Power, VIC, Medium forward/midfielder, June 27 1989, 186.8cm, 78.7kg

70 – ST KILDA – FRASER GEHRIG

St Kilda, VIC, Tall forward, March 3 1976, 195cm, 106kg

Pretty poor draft from St Kilda's perspective imo.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Burgo's Phantom Draft - afl.com.au

SaintBot wrote: Pretty poor draft from St Kilda's perspective imo.
I agree !!

I would rather a Midfielder with our first pick and a Ruckman with our second pick.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Is Kangars the one who can't kick? Supposed to be very good defensively but with poor skills?

Having to take Gehrig certainly throws things in terms of the balance of who we pick up ...

My "ideal" would be a midfielder at #9, a ruckman with #42 and another midfielder/HF with #57. Or some sort of similar combination involving two mids and a ruckman.

:?

Still not sure about Frase.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

:roll:

and what's this fool's accuracy?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Seems to be too many talls.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets be honest here with the phantom drafts with the exception of pick 1, 2 & 3 the rest is pure guess then anything else

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be disappointed with that...
Addresses our biggest weaknesses IMO....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

McEvoy's a real interesting one... will be an absolute ripper like McIntosh or a dud like Hale.

Still very interesting to look at what Burgo has done compared to the numerous other phantoms on BigFooty

vacuous space
SS Life Member

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsA ... wsId=53419

This link has more info.
9 – ST KILDA – BEN McEVOY

Murray Bushrangers, VIC, Ruckman, July 11 1989, 200.2cm, 94.6kg

It will be fascinating to see where McEvoy sits. He could genuinely be drafted from No.6-17, with Essendon (No.6), Sydney (No.11), West Coast (No.13), Melbourne (No.14), Kangaroos (No.15) and Geelong (No.17) all expressing interest. It appears three players are in contention for St Kilda – McEvoy, Lachlan Henderson and Alex Rance – with Scott Selwood, Jack Grimes and Patrick Dangerfield also in the mix. The Saints are eager for an emerging ruckman and McEvoy may prove too tempting.

Bio: A rangy, durable ruckman with excellent endurance. McEvoy took out the best and fairest for grand finalists, the Murray Bushrangers, after an impressive season in the 2007 TAC Cup. He averaged 14 hitouts and eight marks per game and led the competition in contested marks. Captained Vic Country at the 2007 NAB AFL U18 Championships and earned All-Australian honours. AIS-AFL Academy graduate. From Dederang-Mt Beauty FC.

42 – ST KILDA – CHRIS KANGARS

Geelong Falcons, VIC, Tall defender, August 1 1989, 193.1cm, 84.9kg

Kangars is a fascinating player in this draft. He could be taken much earlier or drift a little further out. One thing is for certain, the Saints are desperate to add height to their defence and Kangars will definitely come into the mix, if available. Fraser Gehrig shocked the football fraternity on Wednesday by nominating for the draft, but it is believed St Kilda will use one of its final two selections to snare him unless another club pounces. Guy O'Keefe and Haelen Kay have also been linked with St Kilda.

Bio: Tall, athletic defender who has shown encouraging progress at TAC Cup level in 2007. Was a standout at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp at the AIS in Canberra, ranking first overall for the six-by-30m repeat sprints (23.59sec) and recording top 10 results in both the beep test (14.5) and 3km time trial (10min 54sec). From Geelong Amateurs FC.

57 – ST KILDA – HAELEN KAY

Gippsland Power, VIC, Medium forward/midfielder, June 27 1989, 186.8cm, 78.7kg

St Kilda is believed to one of the leading candidates for Kay. The Saints, Kangaroos and Geelong have all expressed interest in him. He is a little difficult to place in the overall picture, with some recruiters believing he could even be a second round selection. Others think he looms as a rookie prospect. The Saints are likely to take a youngster here, as Fraser Gehrig now looms as their last pick at No.70. Others in contention may include Guy O'Keefe, if available, Brent Connolly and Henry White.

Bio: Quick, agile and with a good leap. Can play in a range of positions to good effect. Is a strong mark and aggressive. Vic Country U18 representative this year. From DWWW Allies.

70 – ST KILDA – FRASER GEHRIG

St Kilda, VIC, Tall forward, March 3 1976, 195cm, 106kg

On the day St Kilda announced its future training base would be at Frankston on the Mornington Peninsula, Gehrig just about overshadowed the news when it was revealed he had nominated for this Saturday's draft. This came despite bidding a fond farewell from the game in round 22 this year. He and St Kilda have taken a punt that they will reunite and it will be intriguing to see where he lands. At this point, it seems unlikely another club will punt on him, although it would be fascinating if it occurred.

Bio: After 255 AFL matches with West Coast and St Kilda (including 140 with the Saints) from 1995-07, the powerhouse full-forward called it a day. He was All-Australian in 1997 and 2004 and won back-to-back Coleman Medals in 2004-05. Gehrig also topped St Kilda's goalkicking from 2003-07. He also led West Coast's goalkicking in 1998. He was an AFL Rising Star nominee in 1995 and played in St Kilda's pre-season premiership side in 2004.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

It's worth looking at who Burgan says we have an interest in. He flagged our interest in Gilbert in 2005 and Armo last year even though he had Gilbo going to Collingwood and Armo going to Essendon. he generally knows who has talked to whom and I doubt he's too surprised by many of the picks on draft day.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know the name of the kid that played full back for Calder in the grand final hes a left footer and looked the goods. He beat MCevoy on the day. He would be handy.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Raven
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:I wouldn't be disappointed with that...
Addresses our biggest weaknesses IMO....
Agreed. I'd be pretty happy.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Does anyone know the name of the kid that played full back for Calder in the grand final hes a left footer and looked the goods. He beat MCevoy on the day. He would be handy.
That might be Travis Dulic :shock:

As for Burgos draft, it's a great effort - but why would the Saints take 2 talls before a taking an in & under type mid - at 9 & 42 :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
CURLY wrote:Does anyone know the name of the kid that played full back for Calder in the grand final hes a left footer and looked the goods. He beat MCevoy on the day. He would be handy.

As for Burgos draft, it's a great effort - but why would the Saints take 2 talls before a taking an in & under type mid - at 9 & 42 :shock:
I feel that we really do need a tough inside midfielder but I am glad with that list, Birss is good enough to play off the bench if we need another hard nut in the middle. Anyways we can just use pick 16/17 for a hardnut next year....

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

I feel that we really do need a tough inside midfielder but I am glad with that list, Birss is good enough to play off the bench if we need another hard nut in the middle. Anyways we can just use pick 16/17 for a hardnut next year....
Yes I reckon they need an inside type to support Hayes and Ball - Baker rotates thru the middle sometimes - Armitage & Eddy may do that role in the future :shock:

Like your thinking on next year though :wink:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

dam I just had a look at the whol phantom draft and it looks like Cats will take Scott Thompson (Geelong VFL FB) with pick 52 I was hoping he would still be around for our pick 57...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

A few interesting points;

*Gourdis dropping to #36- thought to be in the mix for picks 5-20

*Bellchambers dropping to #44- will be clearly in our sights if Rance/Rioli/Ebert is picked at #9.

*Dulic & Tom Rockliff (two on my wishlist) not making the phantom list at all.

Fraser nominating has really thrown a massive question mark over our draft priorities. While you wouldn't imagine that having the Train back for a season would change plans to draft a key forward drastically, you could assume that other players may come into focus that wouldn't have if our tall depth was still without Fraser (which it might well still be if someone else grabs him).

It's really going to put Peake in the spotlight to not only predict where (if) to take Fraser (hopefully #70) but to evaluate if it's better to draft another type of player & get another key forward in the 2009 draft (which may be a goldmine for key position players).

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:Is Kangars the one who can't kick? Supposed to be very good defensively but with poor skills?
Yep that's the one.

He looks to handball at every opportunity and never kicks it.

More of an athlete than footballer but he has a quicker 400m time than Cathy Freeman so he isn't slow.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Some of the blog comments at the bottom of the page:

Ferg - 22/11/2007 2:24:24 PM
Matt, what are your thoughts on St Kilda's first pick (9). You have us down for taking McEvoy, how likely do you think it is that we will take him if available? Do you think David Myers is an outside chance to slip past Essendon and Fremantle? If so would you expect St Kilda to pick him up if available? I also notice you left out Hugh Sandilands and Lachlan Hill. I expect Hill to be a chance for Sydney (due to their pattern of selecting at least one APS player per year) or Melbourne. Sandilands I believe is quite unlucky not to have been picked. Also do you have anymore idea's on who St Kilda may have been linked to? Especially regarding Cyril Rioli, I heard St Kilda were quite interested in him at draft camp. Plenty of good information in your phantom, well done.

Matt Burgan says ...

G'day Fergus,
McEvoy is difficult to place. He will be certainly be taken in the first round. I believe St Kilda is eager to secure a long-term young ruckman and he fits the bill. The dilemma for St Kilda is that there will be several quality players on offer. Do they also try for Alex Rance or Tom Collier perhaps as defenders? And what if Myers slips through ... the scenarios are endless from pick 6.
Sandilands and Hill are genuine prospects, but have been rated as 30s through to rookie prospects and were difficult to place.

brenton - 22/11/2007 3:20:20 PM
I think that Cale Morton could be selected by Richmond at number 2. Alsi Scott Selwood could be selected higher in round one maybe pick 7-10.

Matt Burgan says ...

G'day Brenton,
Selwood has certainly shot up the ratings in recent weeks and it would not suprise me either if he landed inside the top 10, possibly to St Kilda.

Nat Macheda - 22/11/2007 3:24:46 PM
You have done well Matt. I hope we get McEvoy to St Kilda because there have been big raps on him, and we need a young ruckman to blood. How good do you think Kangars could be as a defender? I haven't heard much about him. I think we will pick up big fraser as well. Hope we are right. Well done.

Matt Burgan says ...

G'day Nat,
McEvoy is right in the mix for the Saints at No.9. Some clubs, including St Kilda, really rate Kangars, although he is a little difficult to place in the draft. It would not suprise if he went earlier or later in the draft.

shaun goodsell - 22/11/2007 11:54:40 AM
i think the saints should get frasier back as it will make us even more of a premiership threat. just his presence would be great for us.

Matt Burgan says ...

G'day Shaun,
Fraser kicked 59 goals in 2007, so he could be an outstanding selection at No.70 for the Saints - for one last tilt at the flag. Geelong has certainly inspired the Saints and several teams in the competition.