Nathan Burke on SEN - transcript

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Burke on SEN - transcript

Burkey will be on SEN with KB in the next hour. I'll post a rough transcript.
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Thu 22 Nov 2007 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Really great to have something finalised.

Put up plans at end of 2003 to board at Moorabbin and nothing done. Long saga come to a resolution.

Fantastic move for the footy club for it's long-term future.

No guarantees that all these facilities will translate to a flag, but give ourselves the best chance to do that. At the end of the day, if we haven't got as good a footballers, we're not going to win.

If we get our players onto the park, we think we can be very successful.

Interstate sides had a lot of success in the past few years - great facilities.

Fantastic amount of support from the council down in Frankston, went that extra mile not just with financial contribution, but keen to be a part of this. Looking forward to working with them in the long-term.

Archie went overseas and looked at Chelsea and Aston Villa, not copying their model but looking at the latest technologies and making sure our facilities can incorporate these.

Being one of the last teams in the AFL to set up our facilities, we can see what other clubs are doing, think we've exceeded most other clubs.

Still got a lease for forty years at Moorabbin, social club and pokies will stay there. A lot of talk about this being a pokies move. Pokies had nothing to do with this - simply what is the best spot to have our training facilities.

Kingston Council couldn't match Frankston in terms of maintenance, asset, scope for development.

Financially will be in a much better position working with Frankston and not the Kingston Council.

Burkey was surprised when he first heard the news about Fraser Gehrig, throws a cat amongst the pidgeons, Drain and Lyon will be determining whether that's the way they want to go or not.

One of the things to weight up - how you are feeling after eight weeks off, will you feel the same in the freezing middle of June having to go to training.

Feels Fraser will have weighed these things up, but still a surprise for the club to work through.

His heart wants to play with St Kilda, but you can't prejudice the draft by picking a team, is sure he would love to play at St Kilda. Whether it's the right thing will be determined by Ross and Matthew Drain.

Good vibe at the Saints - Schneider, King added. Did extremely well over the draft period. Will pick up another three players on the weekend.

New football manager, new physio, new doctor, new high-performance coach, everyone keen and raring to go.

Salary cap restrictions with Fraser, list management, Ross has prepared for not having Fraser there. Do we continue down that path or rely on Fraser again? Has shaken the place up again.

Would be risky to pick up a guy who made such comments about his body, mental state etc. But strange things happen and "we'll see".

St Kilda have traditionally been poor in the use of our rookie list until the past year or so. When you've got pick #9 and then not until a couple of late picks, then it becomes more important to get it right, looking at blokes like Andrew Thompson who might have been around for a couple of years.

Have taken a few smokies in the past couple of years, hasn't been involved in draft talks as that's not his responsibility, but will be interested to see who is taken.

An exciting time for the club.
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Thu 22 Nov 2007 11:46am, edited 2 times in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JeffDunne

Good wrap up OWTS but I have a feeling he was foxing on Fraser.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

nice wrap owts. very informative

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Good read, thanks.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks OWTS.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the excellent report OWTS.

However on Archie a quote in the HS was:

"St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser revealed yesterday that the Saints had sent a consultant to England to research the facilities at Chelsea and fellow Premier League side Aston Villa. "

So AF may not have been to Chelsea himself. I don't know which report is the more accurate one.

Great that the Franston deal was done....BUT while Westaway and Footy First were beating their chests yesterady it is clear that this was all set intrain by the previous board and FF is just accepting the glory for what was already going to occur.

http://saints.com.au/Season2007/News/Ne ... wsId=53412.

A rigorous process over many months has considered what is best for the football team with the Club taking into account both capital requirements and on-going costs and has culminated in the Club partnering with Frankston City Council.

So I am keen to see FF actually announce some NEW initiative that they have accomplished IN EXCESS of what would already have occurred. This needs to be more than justa new major sponsor as we would have secured one anyway..

The new medical and training crew were also most likely already set up by the previous Board.

Drain may be FF's first actual success.....but as there were rumours about Sheldon departing for a while even that appointment may have been sparked pre-FF.

To be fair FF have as promised by them, offered members a bit more with the membership packages....and that is good......but what I really want to see is the extra grunt in the football and finacial departments that they have promiserd as part of their platform.

Merely roling out plans that were already in progress is not good enough based on the platform that they swept in on.

I await with interest...hope...and expectation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Actually saintsRrising, you're not giving Archie and the club's staff enough credit IMO.

All that has been announced are really operational matters, with the exception of the move to Frankston. Much of the work for that would have been done by Archie anyway - notice how he was the one who did most of the talking at the press conference.

1. Who would be meeting with the councils and thrashing out proposals? Archie and John Gdanksi (current board member).

2. Who would be talking to sponsors and making presentations? Archie and Ben Hall.

3. Who would have interviewed and hired Matthew Drain? Archie.

4. Whou would have signed off on the appointments of the new doctor and physio? Archie.

5. Who would have overseen the improved membership packages? Ben Hall.

Congratulations to Archie Fraser for a great couple of months as CEO of the Saints.

yipper
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks for the excellent report OWTS.

"St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser revealed yesterday that the Saints had sent a consultant to England to research the facilities at Chelsea and fellow Premier League side Aston Villa. "

So AF may not have been to Chelsea himself. I don't know which report is the more accurate one.

Great that the Franston deal was done....BUT while Westaway and Footy First were beating their chests yesterady it is clear that this was all set intrain by the previous board and FF is just accepting the glory for what was already going to occur.

A rigorous process over many months has considered what is best for the football team with the Club taking into account both capital requirements and on-going costs and has culminated in the Club partnering with Frankston City Council.

So I am keen to see FF actually announce some NEW initiative that they have accomplished IN EXCESS of what would already have occurred. This needs to be more than justa new major sponsor as we would have secured one anyway..

The new medical and training crew were also most likely already set up by the previous Board.

Drain may be FF's first actual success.....but as there were rumours about Sheldon departing for a while even that appointment may have been sparked pre-FF.

To be fair FF have as promised by them, offered members a bit more with the membership packages....and that is good......but what I really want to see is the extra grunt in the football and finacial departments that they have promiserd as part of their platform.

Merely roling out plans that were already in progress is not good enough based on the platform that they swept in on.

They are not running a political campaign anymore - they're just getting on with the job now. And what they are doing now is what I would expect them to be doing. They have more to do yet and there will be big announcements coming shortly about sponsorship.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Actually saintsRrising, you're not giving Archie and the club's staff enough credit IMO.

With respect I think you are misinterepreting my comments.

The CEO (Archie) and staff work with the Board (both the new and the old)and I give him every credit.

I give Archie full credit.....and indeed that was my point that this deal was being worked on actively for some time.

In addition my observation that there were two conflicting reports about whether Archie went to England or not.......should in no way be viewed as an attack on Archie...it was not.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 22 Nov 2007 4:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, I did indeed misinterpret your comments. Apologies.

I wasn't sure about Archie at the start, but he's done everything right in the past six months IMO. Hope we can hang on to him for a while.

JeffDunne

sRr . . . move on, that battle's over.

I really wish people would look beyond the personalties and focus on the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:sRr . . . move on, that battle's over.

I really wish people would look beyond the personalties and focus on the club.
I am and my comments are not based on personalities but rather on wanting see promises delivered.

I actually supported FF...and posted that I did. So your "battles over comment" does not apply to me as I gave them my support. So for good or bad I accept that I was part of the process in them gaining power.

I just want to see them deliver on their promises made to me and all members. I don't expect to see them achieve it all instantly and so don't really expect them to have achieved any more than they currently have......but I am also not going to give them "brownie" points for the achievements of others.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 22 Nov 2007 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Sorry, I did indeed misinterpret your comments. Apologies.

I wasn't sure about Archie at the start, but he's done everything right in the past six months IMO. Hope we can hang on to him for a while.
No problem....

and I agree on your comments on Archie.

The guy may be a bit abrasive but he is obviously foccussed on what the club needs to do to be successful.

This has included the need to replace some staff (.....and there are even some hints that he may well have been involved in some of the nudges that led to the previous Board going...)who were not capable of doing their job as well as other aspects such as arguing for more resources (including more staff).

The easy path would have been to just leave them in place and to not make waves.

Fortunately for us Archie is going about doing what he was employed to do....which is to turn us into a 100% professionally run club.....and I don't think he is worried at all if anyone considers him to bea pr**k!!!

One could speculate that this was in evidence earlier in the year when he declared enough was enough and that the Saints were leaving Moorabbin!!!!! Perhaps Archie fealt that the previous Board had dithered too long in their delaings with Kingston and so a bit of pushing from him was required to bring reality of the situation to a head that we needed to go.....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Woah, you guys are talking some pretty serious stuff....
I'm still shocked about the 3 players this saturday thing :shock:
Was that a slip of the tongue or are we going to pass...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Woah, you guys are talking some pretty serious stuff....
I'm still shocked about the 3 players this saturday thing :shock:
Was that a slip of the tongue or are we going to pass...
Who knows....

It could mean that they were thinking 3 in the main draft and 1 PSD....
Or 3 in total.....

Or maybe he just said 3 with outhout meaning it be exact....

Big Frase now muddies the water too...

casey scorp
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Great that the Franston deal was done....BUT while Westaway and Footy First were beating their chests yesterady it is clear that this was all set intrain by the previous board and FF is just accepting the glory for what was already going to occur.

You must be kidding. the previous Board would never have made this move. They were fixated on Moorabbin, and in a state of trepidation regarding a potential challenge.

The work has been going on for months, and during the time of the previous Board. But the previous Board didn't support Archie's recommendations. The previous Board can take NO credit whatsoever.

RBnW
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks for the excellent report OWTS.

So AF may not have been to Chelsea himself. I don't know which report is the more accurate one..... :?

Archie didn't go to the UK it was the consultants the club are using that went to Chelsea and Aston Villa to get a feel for the latest stuff

Our best is yet
to come......
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Great that the Franston deal was done....BUT while Westaway and Footy First were beating their chests yesterady it is clear that this was all set intrain by the previous board and FF is just accepting the glory for what was already going to occur.

You must be kidding. the previous Board would never have made this move. They were fixated on Moorabbin, and in a state of trepidation regarding a potential challenge.

The work has been going on for months, and during the time of the previous Board. But the previous Board didn't support Archie's recommendations. The previous Board can take NO credit whatsoever.
You forgot
saintsRrising wrote:
One could speculate that this was in evidence earlier in the year when he declared enough was enough and that the Saints were leaving Moorabbin!!!!! Perhaps Archie fealt that the previous Board had dithered too long in their delaings with Kingston and so a bit of pushing from him was required to bring reality of the situation to a head that we needed to go.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Actually saintsRrising, you're not giving Archie and the club's staff enough credit IMO.

All that has been announced are really operational matters, with the exception of the move to Frankston. Much of the work for that would have been done by Archie anyway - notice how he was the one who did most of the talking at the press conference.

1. Who would be meeting with the councils and thrashing out proposals? Archie and John Gdanksi (current board member).

2. Who would be talking to sponsors and making presentations? Archie and Ben Hall.

3. Who would have interviewed and hired Matthew Drain? Archie.

4. Whou would have signed off on the appointments of the new doctor and physio? Archie.

5. Who would have overseen the improved membership packages? Ben Hall.

Congratulations to Archie Fraser for a great couple of months as CEO of the Saints.
i agree with you....and i have been extremely critical of archie in the past.....but there are some on here that will never give credit to the new board ...no matter what they achieve.......butterss was yesterday's man...and the whole world knew it.......even rod himself........well except for a couple of dinosaurs on here maybe.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Great that the Franston deal was done....BUT while Westaway and Footy First were beating their chests yesterady it is clear that this was all set intrain by the previous board and FF is just accepting the glory for what was already going to occur.

Why?

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

If I were Archie Fraser, CEO of the StKFC, I would no doubt read this forum on a next to daily basis.

As an active and capable CEO, in reading comments posted by the likes of sRr and others who consider themselves experts on everything StKilda, maybe the job should be given to these socalled experts and I go and do something more rewarding and less stressfull than being the Club CEO - or alternately they, the socalled self promoting experts be told to 'shut up' and only contribute info via the forum that is worthwhile.

It seems to me that, no matter what our appointed experts do for the Club, that some of you will always find fault, maybe because you have a very negative outlook on life or you are just plain dumb and stupid and like to see your name in print, for what ever reason.

Thank goodness we now have a loyal and capable team working for the Club to better it's future and standing within the AFL community.

Keep it up and Go Saints.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
yipper
SS Life Member

This smacks of a new, enthusiastic board and a now, invigorated CEO getting in there, rolling up their sleeves and getting on with the job. No pussyfooting around with this mob. Make a decision!! Make it a good one for the club!! seems to be the new motto. This, along with the pending very exciting sponsorship deal - is clear evidence that the new mob are switched on and delivering the goods.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Why?
Because they promised they would.

This is why I gave them my proxy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:This smacks of a new, enthusiastic board and a now, invigorated CEO getting in there, rolling up their sleeves and getting on with the job. No pussyfooting around with this mob. Make a decision!! Make it a good one for the club!! seems to be the new motto. This, along with the pending very exciting sponsorship deal - is clear evidence that the new mob are switched on and delivering the goods.
I agree.....and yes I just want to seeing them adding value.

Archie however I think has been active all along.....it was just that he had to move a few hurdles out of the way first.

As I have posted I don't expect instant solutions from FF....but yes I do want them to achieve their goals.