Fraser Gherig

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
Armoooo wrote:You don't know what you got 'til it's gone do ya...
Is that from Frasers point of view,St Kildas, or the fans .....
The fans but I guess it could be Fraser's aswell, not so sure about the club's point of view on the whole issue, having said that though there still are quite a few fans with mixed emotions as previously stated by numerous posters in this thread.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: I understood he was retiring so that he could go and live with his girlfriend in Switzerland/Italy?

Maybe the relationship has broken up?
it's as simple as that.....no secret...been in the newspaper reports that his relationship with the girl is over......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: I understood he was retiring so that he could go and live with his girlfriend in Switzerland/Italy?

Maybe the relationship has broken up?
it's as simple as that.....no secret...been in the newspaper reports that his relationship with the girl is over......
Awww poor G, everyone was so happy for him aswell :cry:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

so his retiremnt was for love alone ...... awwwww how sweet :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
fingers
Saintsational Legend

big softy

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I hate to say this but I don't want Frase back.

I think its time to give some of the young blokes a go down forward like Jarryd Allen and give big Kosi a full season at FF and see how he goes. I think if we get Frase back for 1 year it will be a waste of a draft pick when we could of had a young future FF and it will also hurt the development of players like Allen.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:I hate to say this but I don't want Frase back.

I think its time to give some of the young blokes a go down forward like Jarryd Allen and give big Kosi a full season at FF and see how he goes. I think if we get Frase back for 1 year it will be a waste of a draft pick when we could of had a young future FF and it will also hurt the development of players like Allen.
crap if allen is any good he will force his way into the side .. players have to earn their spot in the side and just playing him to develop him is the stuff teams on the rebuild do not teams who are a realistic chance of a flag

and picking frase up at pick 70 in a shallow draft is not going to hinder our development all that much

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:I smell a Lyon in the background here.......I also have concerns over M Gardiner here....and a requirement for a King/Kosi ruck combo in 2008?
hope not.

anyway, it appears that the approach came from fraser, not from us.

imo kosi at ff is key to our chances in 2008, but fraser would be a handy foil for him
According to Mischa's messiah GT on SEN this morning this is ALL Ross Lyon.....hhmmm......does make you wonder if so...why youd need to chase down a 31 yr old retired fwd whod lost passion for the game......unless you needed to fill the square and use Kos elsehwere cause Gardiners about knackered............

I do hope this is all not so...but it seems odd thats all.

“Yeah….nah””
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What would Thomas know?

Why did both Drain and Archie say that Gehrig was the one who approached the club, ringing RL to ask about playing again?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:I smell a Lyon in the background here.......I also have concerns over M Gardiner here....and a requirement for a King/Kosi ruck combo in 2008?
hope not.

anyway, it appears that the approach came from fraser, not from us.

imo kosi at ff is key to our chances in 2008, but fraser would be a handy foil for him
According to Mischa's messiah GT on SEN this morning this is ALL Ross Lyon.....hhmmm......does make you wonder if so...why youd need to chase down a 31 yr old retired fwd whod lost passion for the game......unless you needed to fill the square and use Kos elsehwere cause Gardiners about knackered............

I do hope this is all not so...but it seems odd thats all.
Gardiner has been "knackered" for years...

you only have to look back into the 2005 GF to see that....

I hope I'm wrong but to me it's a bit like Matthew Allen IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:What would Thomas know?

Why did both Drain and Archie say that Gehrig was the one who approached the club, ringing RL to ask about playing again?

Oh Grant still has the goss....even stated hed have the goss on gehrigs GF break up in a matter of days....dont worry bout old Grant...hes still terrorising some of the players no doubt....gotta keep relevance in the media somehow its the adage of a good vulture.

And if I was Lyon and wanted Gehrig to be picked up by us without any fear of draft tampering repercussions for St Kilda I too would say "he approached us but theres no guarantees......." -what esle can they say......."weve been badgering him for months and are now just manufacturing a story to get him to the club....well be in touch???"

Its not that hard to imagine........and I reckon Grant may have heard something along the lines of what Im tipping...

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:unless you needed to fill the square and use Kos elsehwere cause Gardiners about knackered.
a big mistake if we play kosi anywhere other than ff, IMO, even if it means using blake or someone else as second ruck.

our biggest weakness last year was in not being able to turn opportunities to goals and i see kosi's ability to take a contested mark as vital to turning this around in 2008.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:unless you needed to fill the square and use Kos elsehwere cause Gardiners about knackered.
a big mistake if we play kosi anywhere other than ff, IMO, even if it means using blake or someone else as second ruck.

our biggest weakness last year was in not being able to turn opportunities to goals and i see kosi's ability to take a contested mark as vital to turning this around in 2008.
Im not arguing for that - Im speculating what the coach may be thinking though.

I dont think Kosi is a ruckman - but I KNOW Blake aint one.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Im not arguing for that - Im speculating what the coach may be thinking though.
I understood you. just hope you're wrong on this one and that fraser's simply had a change of heart.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plus Drain saying he was woken up at am in the morning...

If it was all premeditated....Drain would have had the forms filled out already...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:crap if allen is any good he will force his way into the side .. players have to earn their spot in the side and just playing him to develop him is the stuff teams on the rebuild do not teams who are a realistic chance of a flag

and picking frase up at pick 70 in a shallow draft is not going to hinder our development all that much
Well thats just your opinion :roll:

Well were Port a realistic chance of a flag last year ??

Thats what happens when you play youth like Westhoff, Boak, Gray ect...

The way we are going now we will never improve but I can see Collingwood and the Power improving sh*tloads.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
LTN16 wrote:I hate to say this but I don't want Frase back.

crap if allen is any good he will force his way into the side .. players have to earn their spot in the side and just playing him to develop him is the stuff teams on the rebuild do not teams who are a realistic chance of a flag

I 100% agree, but to try and look at the big picture further...

First question is whether Fraser Gehrig is going to enhance our premiership chances by that much after the moves we just made... I think it's he does, because he demands a premier defender and is very good off the left boot, caveat being that he was more inconsistent than ever last season, and certainly appeared to be near the end.

The 2nd question is Allen. We've just delisted Brooks and Watts, so if he's seen as a forward, he's going to ahve every chance to take the job and run with it in the V. If he's good enough in the V, it's unlikely Gehrig plays 22 in the season so we probably see him.

Third factor of course is forward line structure, whch all we can do is speculate on anyway, but concensus seems to be that Kosi (not Allen) steps into the role if Gardiner and King are healthy (on rare occasion?)... but to consider more closely, would the seasons gameplan really be built on that kind of assumption? Is Rix a more likely call up than Allen (for example?) when one of the rucks isn't available? Is Kosi a ruck or a forward will probably remain a question all through next year, barring a brilliant AA season at one position or other.

Finally, the value of a kid at #70. It's been speculated we'd save that for PSD anyway, but hard to say.

BAM! (summary):
1) Gehrig makes the Saints better, but mainly by not making the forwardline worse via retirement. Not convinced he'll be able to go in '09.
2) IMHO, Allen hasn't earned an AFL spot.
3) IM not so H O, Kosi is an excellent ruckman, passable forward, and will be wasted in the forwardline if that's where we start him, winding up back in the middle of the ground by midseason.
4) It's pick 70. If G hadn't retired, nobody would have noticed the lack of pick 70.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

LTN16 wrote:Well were Port a realistic chance of a flag last year ??

Thats what happens when you play youth like Westhoff, Boak, Gray ect...

The way we are going now we will never improve but I can see Collingwood and the Power improving sh*tloads.
Didn't Port use pick 70 last year on a recycled player (Rodan) who ended up being a crucial part of a side that made the Grand Final?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: crap if allen is any good he will force his way into the side .. players have to earn their spot in the side and just playing him to develop him is the stuff teams on the rebuild do not teams who are a realistic chance of a flag

Hasn't Allen been injured?

RooandKosi
Club Player

Gehrig at FF = Flag simple as that!!

we need him back.

aussiejones
Club Player

At pick 70 he is a bonus ..... just the salary cap is a question ?

it sure will be interesting to see his 'attitude' to the game .

at worst he will take a top back man
at best 50+ goals

if we have others candidates fo FF and Gtrain is having an off day .....then switch em around .

Perhaps Frase smells a GF in 2008 ....and would hate to miss out

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

In an ideal world, we would not be interested in Frase, but we can only play with the 38 players on our list + rookies......IF the club was confident Gardiner could have impact next year then sure, Kosi at FF would be awesome.

IF Gardy is at best 50/50, The G-Train, only 30 to 50% less salary than 2007 is good value insurance, even if he only plays the 16 Melbourne based games in 2008.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

B W and R all over wrote: Didn't Port use pick 70 last year on a recycled player (Rodan) who ended up being a crucial part of a side that made the Grand Final?
No they used pick 86.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Plus Drain saying he was woken up at am in the morning...

If it was all premeditated....Drain would have had the forms filled out already...
yep....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Frase will probably only be on the comparable pay to a no.70 pick anyway. I think we are very very tight with the cap so The Train will be playing for the love of the game, not the cashola