What should be the highest priority for the club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

What do you think should be the highest priority for the club?

Long term survival in the AFL
10%
Growing the membership base
5%
Premiership as soon as possible
64%
Premiership over the medium term (4-7 years)
5%
Maintaining the strong and marketable brand
11%
Ensuring the club remains close to supporters and members
No votes
Retaining key marquee players above all else
No votes
Other (indicate below)
5%

Total votes: 61

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What should be the highest priority for the club?

benengel14 wrote:What do you think should be the highest priority for the club/Board?

This would be an interesting topic as if affects a lot of policy/decision-making of the club. You could argue selling games interstate or even selling the club interstate depending on how far you took some of the below. Or for decisions relating to training grounds.
Not to say that any of the below are mutually exclusive.

If you had to rank one higher than the rest, what would it be?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I went for "Maintaining a strong and marketable brand" because I reckon it covers most, if not all of the other options anyway !!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

premiership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ffs, something tells me we are not that far behind the roos!
if we dont get a few more members and win a flag with in 6 or so years something tells me we are gone! maybe Canberra, or wherever, but we need one asap

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Is it possible to run a poll which asks you to 'rank' the options rather than selecting 1 of them?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:premiership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ffs, something tells me we are not that far behind the roos!
if we dont get a few more members and win a flag with in 6 or so years something tells me we are gone! maybe Canberra, or wherever, but we need one asap
Are you serious?
If you think we're in trouble now there is something wrong with you, this is one of the best states the club has ever been in... If anything things are on the up, we have a very strong support base and we just need to continue turning those numbers into dollars...
There is no way we will EVER end up in Canberra, for one they will never have their own team and there are also clubs who are closer to moving than us... Bulldogs, Demons, Hawks etc...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
claystreet
Club Player

A premiership pretty much brings all the rest
on its coat tails

8-)

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A Flag...everything else will fall into place.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Premiership brings supporters
Supporters become members
Members bring money
Money ensures survival

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Consistent and sustainable growth of the membership base is an essential thing for this football club.

There is no excuse for us not increasing our membership every year.

Ask the Kangaroos whether they'd give back their 1999 flag for permanant Melbourne surivival. The answer would be yes.

With members on board, the club can't be moved or merged. Not having to worry about survival - barring Wayne Carey coming along - is an important pre-requisite for success, I believe.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Ask the Kangaroos whether they'd give back their 1999 flag for permanant Melbourne surivival. The answer would be yes.
The Kangaroos are in a shocking position in that their supporter base is just too small to keep up, regardless of on-field performance.

If we win the flag in 2008 with 32,000 members then we will have about 38,000 in 2009. The Roos could win 3 consecutive flags and only gain a few thousand members.

For any team with a decent supporter base, premierships should always be the number one priority.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Ask the Kangaroos whether they'd give back their 1999 flag for permanant Melbourne surivival. The answer would be yes.
The Kangaroos are in a shocking position in that their supporter base is just too small to keep up, regardless of on-field performance.

If we win the flag in 2008 with 32,000 members then we will have about 38,000 in 2009. The Roos could win 3 consecutive flags and only gain a few thousand members.

For any team with a decent supporter base, premierships should always be the number one priority.
Exactly, the thing about the Kangaroos isn't that they're supporters aren't passionate enough it is simply there aren't enough of them....
That is no problem for us, with proper management and on-field success we should never be forced into the situation the roos are in now...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
HarveysDeciple

Armoooo wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Exactly, the thing about the Kangaroos isn't that they're supporters aren't passionate enough it is simply there aren't enough of them....
That is no problem for us, with proper management and on-field success we should never be forced into the situation the roos are in now...
exactly.
Even when they were winning flags they still weren't 100% solid and secure financially, and their supporter base was still very small.

I sadly fear they are in a position where they simply have no choice.
Sure I would hate to move, but if it came down to that or going under then well....

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Tough choice, for mine it was between, 'Maintaining a strong and marketable brand', and 'Winning a Premiership as soon as possible'.

In the end i chose the latter, because obviously it would contribute a hell of alot to the former.

In my opinion, we've built a strong, marketable, popular brand. Sure theres always the need for growth and betterment, but nothing helps like a premiership.

If the Kangaroos hadnt won the flags in 96 and 99 - they'd have relocated by now.

midas_touch
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Premiership brings supporters
Members bring money
Money ensures survival
Couldn't have put it better myself. Given our relative off field stability nowadays, winning a premiership should clearly be the highest priority our club should be aiming for. Every other option given on the poll will no doubt occur if we achieve the flag.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Other.

We need a really good member's sticker that looks ok on a blue car.

This will ensure the premiership that brings supporters who become members bringing their money that ensures survival. But it all starts with the 08 member's sticker. On the blue car. None of this transparent stuff.

And a flag.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Its the brand for me.

asiu

Premiership brings supporters
Members bring money
Money ensures survival
yep...i'm with that view

footy_first
Club Player

other...not choking in finals :(

benengel14
Club Player

Thanks for putting up my poll! Much appreciated.

That is the original post if anyone is interested:
1. Long-term survival in the league.
2. Growing the membership base.
3. Premiership now!
4. Premiership success > 3 or 5 years from now.
5. Ensuring an aesthetically and technically attractive style of football is being played.
6. Ensuring that the brand of the club remains strong and well known.
7. Ensuring the club remains accessible to supporters both in match-day coverage, and in general operations.
7. Stickers/Tattoos in the kid's memberships.

#7 was included to ensure cowboy felt included in the poll.
A lot of the options correlate with the others, none of them are wrong. Although if I had some hypothetical situation where I could choose a premiership in 2008 or that I'd still be able to see the club in the AFL for the rest of my life, I'd choose the latter.
I don't think a 2008 premiership exclusively could guarantee success (off-field) in 5/10 years time.

OWTS If its not too late, maybe you could include 5 and the extra 7 :)

Anyone want to try and connect the presence of the tattoos to long-term survival. I guess you could if you stretched it...but I'm too tired.