Is Northcote/Thornbury a Saints strong hold?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintfreddy
Club Player

Is Northcote/Thornbury a Saints strong hold?

During last season I caught the train in for a couple of games (given I now have my local train station all of a 3 minute walk away). I was quite surprised when coming home how many Saints supporters got off the at the same train station.

Have I by some chance moved into a strong Saints area of support in the Northcote/Thornbury area?

ctqs
Club Player

Re: Is Northcote/Thornbury a Saints strong hold?

saintfreddy wrote:During last season I caught the train in for a couple of games (given I now have my local train station all of a 3 minute walk away). I was quite surprised when coming home how many Saints supporters got off the at the same train station.

Have I by some chance moved into a strong Saints area of support in the Northcote/Thornbury area?
Good point! I was living in Thornbury in 1997 and I remember red, white and black balloons all down High Street during grand final week. I also saw a bloke carrying one of those massive pom-pom thingy's the cheer squad has (that's the technical term for them), from his car into a house. That was the morning after we beat North in the prelim. Poor bloke must've thought I was a nut as I leaned out the passenger window and was virtually foaming at the mouth as I was roaring Saints slogans at him.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Living a bit more north of there... have seen a few membership stickers, but not a great lot.

It's more a Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon area.

They walk amongst us...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I always have a chuckle when the media claim that the Eastern Suburbs is a Hawthorn stronghold. My experience tells me that there are many, many SAINTS stickers on cars in Vermont, Wantirna, Blackburn, Ferntree Gully, Mt Waverley and even Upwey. Not too many Hawthorn stickers.

But then, what would I know. I only drive around those parts 12-15 hours every day !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear Northcote has converted. I was born there and lived there until I married. I went to Preston Tech and was the only Saints supporter in the whole school, out of 1200 boys.

LennyBoy
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Apologies for hijacking this thread but I always have a chuckle when the media claim that the Eastern Suburbs is a Hawthorn stronghold. My experience tells me that there are many, many SAINTS stickers on cars in Vermont, Wantirna, Blackburn, Ferntree Gully, Mt Waverley and even Upwey. Not too many Hawthorn stickers.

But then, what would I know. I only drive around those parts 12-15 hours every day !!
Eastern, are all your hours on the road dedicated to LukeL26's driving lessons to bring him up to speed. :wink: :lol:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:
Eastern wrote:Apologies for hijacking this thread but I always have a chuckle when the media claim that the Eastern Suburbs is a Hawthorn stronghold. My experience tells me that there are many, many SAINTS stickers on cars in Vermont, Wantirna, Blackburn, Ferntree Gully, Mt Waverley and even Upwey. Not too many Hawthorn stickers.

Eastern, are all your hours on the road dedicated to LukeL26's driving lessons to bring him up to speed. :wink: :lol:
Not all, but most :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Absolutley, we are incredibly well represented in the Eastern subs, have lived here most of my life.

Now looking to move to Malvern/Armadale, I hope there are still some Sainters around.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

On the Eltham/Greensborough line there is quite a few of us... quite a few young kids too that have jumped on the Saints with Rooey, etc.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I take my son to Northcote Auskick.

I counted about 6 Saints jumpers, 5 Bulldogs jumpers, 12 Essendon jumpers, 15 Carlton jumpers, 25 Collingwood and Richmond jumpers, and the other teams had between 1 and 3 jumpers each out of about 100 kids all up.

I was expecting my son to be the only Saints supporter, but stiil, there aren't too many of us out there.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of little saints at Auskick in the outer south-eastern suburbs like Cranbourne, Berwick, & Rowville. Can anyone tell me?

yipper
SS Life Member

Well I grew up in the Macleod / Watsonia area which was very much Collingwood back then. And that included across to Preston / Thornbury etc. I was the only sainter at my school - apart from my brothers!!

In my travels around Melbourne town - I reckon down the bay towards Frankston and beyond is the real Saints Heartland. Plenty of Bumper stickers and saints gear everywhere.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.