what are the options- Ezra's story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

what are the options- Ezra's story

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/a ... tml?page=8
How the AFL failed to catch a falling star
November 17, 2007

"EZRA Bray has disappeared again into the long grass somewhere outside Darwin. Plenty of people have gone looking for him in the five years since he fell out of favour with AFL football. Despite some of the best intentions, no one has truly found him. >............. "

feature in the Age today.

finally we see something written of others who are struggling with the affects of Modern society ( and not just BEN)- I think we need to see and hear these stories- we do praise the successes and many turn their minds away But when we don't know we can't understand -Hiding it isn't working- not telling who is or isn't in trouble because of- obviously isn't working,

the AFL and Sport in general and Society/ the community we live in have all learnt and are learning more all the time- But as usually happens we learn after....... and not before- none of us sees the pitfalls untill ourselves or others fall into them.

yes we can blame them or them or them- but fact is the subversive will always be ahead of the regular, hiding in corners and making plays for those who are struggling-

Ever the doer rather than the blamer I ask- What can we do?
if you push you get- It's my life
if you don't push- you didn't care?

How can we show them be they footballers or kids on the street- how can we show the positives that they have?
making sure that those who have achieved are examples BUT not seen to be beyond because of current cirumstances- to now get- "But I'll never be able to,'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
JeffDunne

What this story and Ben's shows is that people will f*** up regardless of the amount of support given.

Ben's problems are supposed to stem from too much being done for him - Ezra's problems are supposed to stem from too little being done.

Can't we just accept that people f*** up regardless and football clubs shouldn't be expected to solve all of societies ills?

Ezra's case is just another example that more can be done to support kids coming into the system but there's plenty of these examples and not all involve drugs. IMO we draft kids too young but a massive amount is being done to improve the support for them.

Regardless of how much support is given, kids will still f*** up and people will still try and blame football clubs for not having solved a problem that society can't.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think the point of the benny case is hes not a 17 yearold kid so the club cant really be held responceable to what he does but if you were a parent of a 17 yearold about to be drafted to a club from another state (not just west coast) there would be that little bit of fear for them as 17 year olds they will now be more then likly living with a fellow team mate who would be around 20 years old in a non familiar surroundings so the chance for them to go off the rails is greater

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

In the states, dont draftees come out of the college system?

Hence averaging about 22 years old?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i know in the past the new boys from interstate used to be sent to live with host familys who some what looked after the kids but in recent years they have been house shareing with the older guys and i mean a 20yearold isnt gunna be a parental figure for a 17yearold

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

JeffDunne

Spinner wrote:In the states, dont draftees come out of the college system?

Yep. They've come from a system where for the most part they've had the experience of playing in front of large crowds and on national tv.

There's plenty of kids that suffer in that system too though.

In the NFL teams don't take responsibility for players welfare like they do in the AFL. Each player is considered a contractor and if you don't perform for whatever reason they'll cut you before trying to help you fix your problems. The NFL & NFLPA is far more active than the teams in education for players.

While I think we should lift the drafting age, I don't base that on anything that happens in the American system.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i know in the past the new boys from interstate used to be sent to live with host familys who some what looked after the kids but in recent years they have been house shareing with the older guys and i mean a 20yearold isnt gunna be a parental figure for a 17yearold
I remember a newspaper article about Nick R & Kosi when they first arrived at the club. They both lived with the same host lady who according to the article did everything a mother would do and perhaps that little bit more. They both stayed with her for about 2 years.

I see this as providing the best outcomes for the club and the players. It isn't going to work for all but it appears to work for the majority. !!

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
I remember a newspaper article about Nick R & Kosi when they first arrived at the club. They both lived with the same host lady who according to the article did everything a mother would do and perhaps that little bit more. They both stayed with her for about 2 years.
Bit of a milf maybe .....

JeffDunne

Surely player managers need to take some responsibility in this too?

I agree that placing players with families is a good outcome when it works but it is a little hit and miss.

Personally I'd prefer the TAC be made an under 19s comp and the drafting age lifted. Won't solve all problems with player development but I reckon it will keep more kids in the game and in their home state.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lifting the age is a good idea but i think the thing clubs need to learn is that these kids are just that kids .. and having a cashed up 18yearold with a celebrity status is not going to be easy to keep in check .

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:and having a cashed up 18yearold with a celebrity status is not going to be easy to keep in check .
In terms of being cashed up, maybe the Clubs should look at "locking away" a percentage of the player's yearly salary to be kept "in trust" until they hit a certain age (say 27 or 28).

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote: I remember a newspaper article about Nick R & Kosi when they first arrived at the club. They both lived with the same host lady who according to the article did everything a mother would do and perhaps that little bit more. They both stayed with her for about 2 years.
. !!
I remember hearing that they wanted to move out earlier - either the end of first or end of second and the club basicly said 'no'

I heard David Armitage asked about his living arrangements- ie how much housework he does :0- and he siad he didn't do any because his host'mum' was so wonderful
TimeToShineFellas wrote: In terms of being cashed up, maybe the Clubs should look at "locking away" a percentage of the player's yearly salary to be kept "in trust" until they hit a certain age (say 27 or 28).
:D Couple of years ago Bakes was doing this- he left it to his manager and got an allowance per week for fun and social activities.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 17 Nov 2007 12:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
JeffDunne

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:and having a cashed up 18yearold with a celebrity status is not going to be easy to keep in check .
In terms of being cashed up, maybe the Clubs should look at "locking away" a percentage of the player's yearly salary to be kept "in trust" until they hit a certain age (say 27 or 28).
What about cashed up rock stars - should we force the same of them?

This social engineering through football is nonsense (IMO)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote: I remember a newspaper article about Nick R & Kosi when they first arrived at the club. They both lived with the same host lady who according to the article did everything a mother would do and perhaps that little bit more. They both stayed with her for about 2 years.
. !!
I remember hearing that they wanted to move out earlier - either the end of first or end of second and the club basicly said 'no'

I heard David Armitage asked about his living arrangements- ie how much housework he does :0- and he siad he didn't do any be4cause his host'mum' was so wonderful
TimeToShineFellas wrote: In terms of being cashed up, maybe the Clubs should look at "locking away" a percentage of the player's yearly salary to be kept "in trust" until they hit a certain age (say 27 or 28).
:D Couple of years ago Bakes was doing this- he left it to his manager and got an allowance per week for fun and social activities.
he's a smart fella then is bakes...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Raise the age of the TAC Cup to 19 or 20 and let these kids finish school before having to concentrate on Footy or any career.

Let them compete against other kids until they are able to mix it with the men. 17 year olds are not physically or mentally anywhere near mature enough for the rigours of full time professional sport.

Benny and Ezra are similar in some ways.
Benny has never experienced life outside the cocooned existence of an elite AFL player. He probably became bored and played around with all sorts of substances and all sorts of women.
Ezra came from a totally different environment and couldn't handle the AFL life and probably fell into substance aduse as an escape.

From the Age story both deny they need help.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Raise the age of the TAC Cup to 19 or 20 and let these kids finish school before having to concentrate on Footy or any career.

Let them compete against other kids until they are able to mix it with the men. 17 year olds are not physically or mentally anywhere near mature enough for the rigours of full time professional sport.

Benny and Ezra are similar in some ways.
Benny has never experienced life outside the cocooned existence of an elite AFL player. He probably became bored and played around with all sorts of substances and all sorts of women.
Ezra came from a totally different environment and couldn't handle the AFL life and probably fell into substance aduse as an escape.

From the Age story both deny they need help.
knowing a few players...they do say that being an afl player at times can get very boring as its not as if you are down at the football club 9-5 like a job in the real world so to speak

its logical...if young kids get bored they try new things...it happens

its like the normal progression for teenagers/young adults

they start drinking...get bored of that...try smoking...get bored of that...try weed...get bored of that and try ecstacy/pills...and usually stop

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i know in the past the new boys from interstate used to be sent to live with host familys who some what looked after the kids but in recent years they have been house shareing with the older guys and i mean a 20yearold isnt gunna be a parental figure for a 17yearold

I see this as providing the best outcomes for the club and the players. It isn't going to work for all but it appears to work for the majority. !!
Wonderful lady from Brighton who I won't name. Saints have a terrific support network in that sense.

That is probably the best article Caroline Wilson has written in her career, and I'll be surprised if she doesn't get an AFL media award for it next year.

Tragic story ... feel sorry for the guy.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Bit of a milf maybe .....

...what a terrible thing to say..... :roll: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I say we draft ezray as a smokie

:roll:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

im sick of the comparison from footballers and rock stars ect

first of rock stars are not needed to have their bodies in pristine condition to do their job .
secondly Rock stars are not governed to follow any rules other then the law .
thirdly the rock industry makes no claims it is drug free

is it prrfessional atheleats and entertainers are compleatly differant

JeffDunne

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

first of rock stars are not needed to have their bodies in pristine condition to do their job .

I'm sick of people that go off half-cocked when they haven't read the entire thread.

The comparison I made with rock stars was in regards to their salary and whether we should force people to have income locked in a trust. The comparison was due to it being another industry where young people can make a large amount of money over what is usually a short career.

Nothing to do with drugs. :roll:

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:In the states, dont draftees come out of the college system?

And American Football still has its issues, didn't a player just go to jail for something pretty serious?

Guess it goes to show idiots are idiots regardless of age.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

I'm sick of people that go off half-cocked when they haven't read the entire thread.

The comparison I made with rock stars was in regards to their salary and whether we should force people to have income locked in a trust. The comparison was due to it being another industry where young people can make a large amount of money over what is usually a short career.

Nothing to do with drugs. :roll:
my bad

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I believe it shows how incrediable the clarke brothers and alan murray have been, not only not slipping into the culture of substance abuse and depression but actively helping their community.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think alan murray really had he head screwed on right he was a great ambassador for the indiginous comunity its a shame his football skills didnt match his life skills