Congrats caseyscorp. Your Saints dream is coming true

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
claystreet wrote:It doesnt matter where they train as long as the facilities
are world class.

I only care that they are training in the best facilities available.
They play real football everywhere but their home training facility

8-)
I think it does matter where they train as most players live no where near Casey and they have 2 sessions a day and the players like to go home between sessions so they arent at the club all the time and get bored. No one will move down that way and it also doesnt inspire corparate sponsership being that far from the city. They must stay at Moorabbin area or move to an inner city ground if possible.
plugger and spud used to travel from Ballarat for training

i can be at Casey Fields in 30 to 40 mins from Moorabbin

That was when they trained once a day. Now they train twice a day and they dont like hanging around the club in between sessions so what do they do if they are 40 minutes away. They have to stay at the club and get bored. IMO doesnt promote good training.

karnak
Club Player

I think the Casey idea has merit.

I am also a fan of having split and many venues.

Casey for training and facilities.

And then i'd like us to pick up some land in St Kilda and build a club house there for functions and after match parties. Also put a heap of pokies in here 2. I think if we move to Casey then we definately need a presence in our true home......St Kilda

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Well from my prospective as a Gippsland Country supporter group organiser - Cranbourne has a huge up-side. Believe me, there are thousands of saints fans living east of melb - both in the south east and far east. Cranbourne would be like a magnet to many of these fans, MEMBERSHIPS will result - believe me. heaps and heaps I reckon.

However, there is a down side as Plugger has pointed out. The players. And personally speaking - I am moving back into town, so Cranbourne is not that good for me!! But, the south east corridor of Melb IS a gold mine - believe me. The Saints would easily get 40000 members if they shifted their base to that area. Incidentally - club functions would continue to be held in key central city venues like Docklands, Crown etc. They would never hold a major club function away from the city. So no diff there. Just the training facilities and club base would be located at where the Scorps currently play. So, overall - I can't see any major problems for the club if they went down that path.

I keep asking this but no one will give me an answer. Why would people follow a club because they train near you. No one goes to training. We also do clinics down that there now so they will not increase. There is no reason why extra people would follow them because they are in the area.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:I think the Casey idea has merit.

I am also a fan of having split and many venues.

Casey for training and facilities.

And then i'd like us to pick up some land in St Kilda and build a club house there for functions and after match parties. Also put a heap of pokies in here 2. I think if we move to Casey then we definately need a presence in our true home......St Kilda

If they move I presume that they will keep the social club where it is now. And maybe setup a second social club at Casey.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Our membership will be 50,000 in 5 years time if we move to Casey.
Oh When the Saints wrote:Seriously though ... in 5 years time, I would expect us to have close to 40,000 members if the status quo remains.
:?: :?: :?:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Our membership will be 50,000 in 5 years time if we move to Casey.
Oh When the Saints wrote:Seriously though ... in 5 years time, I would expect us to have close to 40,000 members if the status quo remains.
He's just spinning, spinning, spinning......god knows where he'll end up.....it's a bit like Deal or no Deal!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Solar wrote:
n1ck wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think you will find the announcement will be Aussie coaching because I dont think there is anyway in the world we would move down to Cranbourne.
I hope you're right, Plug.
trust him, sheldon will be announcing that we wont be going down there......

anyway back on the actual subject, the main reason to move down there is the access to the best facilities which do not look like bearing fruit in the near future at moorabin.
mmmm ken has ben o/s and is no longer employed by the club- maybe M Drain will announce BUT as previously stated it is Archies area and he is on leave as many in admin are- Football coaches took a break the weeks after trade week finished.
I think you missed the point, but plugger got it so thats the main thing.

plugger, if you stated your opinion AS A opinion then people might not either read your posts as gospal or get a little bit sick of the black and white "this is how it will be" type posting. just a thought.

But seriously if AF and Drain came to the players and said

either you stay here and we MIGHT in 3-5 years have better facilities OR we move down to casey and we get awesome facilities, the pick of the sporting fields, an aquatic centre across the road in 2009. Heck we will get a local cafe on board and perhaps build you a centre where you can study, read, watch TV, play pool or ping pong, heck get them a fuzzball table and a couple of juke boxes. The pies have that and they usually don't go anywhere. Better cooking facilities and lots of good healthy meals so they don't have to cook lunch or dinner???

I can tell you what I would vote on if I was a player

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

You got a point Solar, and whilst I've always been on the side of plugger on this one, most of our players, most AFL players are really just big kids - they're only in the their early 20's and give them as you've said, some Playstation games, XBOX Wii etc etc and they've got hours of entertainment!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Solar wrote:
n1ck wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think you will find the announcement will be Aussie coaching because I dont think there is anyway in the world we would move down to Cranbourne.

anyway back on the actual subject, the main reason to move down there is the access to the best facilities which do not look like bearing fruit in the near future at moorabin.
mmmm ken has ben o/s and is no longer employed by the club- maybe M Drain will announce BUT as previously stated it is Archies area and he is on leave as many in admin are- Football coaches took a break the weeks after trade week finished.

plugger, if you stated your opinion AS A opinion then people might not either read your posts as gospal or get a little bit sick of the black and white "this is how it will be" type posting. just a thought.

either you stay here and we MIGHT in 3-5 years have better facilities OR we move down to casey and we get awesome facilities, the pick of the sporting fields, an aquatic centre across the road in 2009. Heck we will get a local cafe on board and perhaps build you a centre where you can study, read, watch TV, play pool or ping pong, heck get them a fuzzball table and a couple of juke boxes. The pies have that and they usually don't go anywhere. Better cooking facilities and lots of good healthy meals so they don't have to cook lunch or dinner???

Thanks forr telling me how to write. I will take it on board and then completely disregard it.

And IMO I think the players will not want to move down there what ever they do. But as I said IMO.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Solar wrote:
n1ck wrote:

Thanks forr telling me how to write. I will take it on board and then completely disregard it.

And IMO I think the players will not want to move down there what ever they do. But as I said IMO.
thats strange, you did exactly what I said you should do (only trying to be helpful :roll: ), and I disagree with you opinion, but we shall see.

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Solar wrote:
n1ck wrote:

thats strange, you did exactly what I said you should do (only trying to be helpful :roll: ), and I disagree with you opinion, but we shall see.
You havent heard of sarcasim

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Solar wrote:
n1ck wrote:

You havent heard of sarcasim
re-read what you wrote three times, if thats sarcasim maybe I'm just getting to old for all you young'ns...... maybe it's way too subtle :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The players get paid enough to train where ever the club deems fit.....

They are paid to win games of footy,it's the clubs job to find them the best facilities to help do that........

The club can't always pander to prima donnas......

:roll:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The players get paid enough to train where ever the club deems fit.....

They are paid to win games of footy,it's the clubs job to find them the best facilities to help do that........

Well I reckon we may have 15-20 prima donnas then.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:The players get paid enough to train where ever the club deems fit.....

Well I reckon we may have 15-20 prima donnas then.
perhaps thats why we have not won that elusive flag!

FQF
In richo I trust

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Take me out of context.

The status quo = current situation = nothing changes = remain at Moorabbin = 40,000 members in 5 years IMO

Move to Casey = different situation = plenty changes = move from Moorabbin = 50,000 members in 5 years IMO

Re: the players ...

They are paid six figures (the vast majority) to work for the club. If their work requires that they travel, the either they are adequately compensated or can claim it against tax.

Half of the Geelong side live in Melbourne, and have to travel that distance each day.

A non-issue IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
asiu

This is actually the nub of it - many young families (and many more to come) live in the Casey area. Children are impressionable. ..... impress the child, and you will create the attitudes of the adult.

The club has the opportunity to work closely with schools and clubs in the area and, over time (this is a decision for some decades - not just tomorrow) we will reap ther benefits in membership.
yep......its the kids turning 5 and 6....... we need them , picking us

how many 5-6 year olds in casey per annum?

casey scorp
Club Player

gazrat wrote:how many 5-6 year olds in casey per annum?
There are about 7,000 to 8,000 5 and 6 year old kids (ie in that 2 year age cohort) in Casey at any time. Fertile ground for the Saints to sow in.

And someone mentioned Saints players doing clinics in Casey - yes there are the odd ones, but well outnumbered by others. Clearly, if based in Casey and with a long term plan to gain the hearts of the local kids, they will be at Auskick venues (and these are huge Auskick venues with 300 or 400 kids in some cases), going to schools appearing in the local shopping centres and visiting local junior footy clubs.

Naturally it will take an effort, but the rewards will be reaped for years.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
gazrat wrote:how many 5-6 year olds in casey per annum?
There are about 7,000 to 8,000 5 and 6 year old kids (ie in that 2 year age cohort) in Casey at any time. Fertile ground for the Saints to sow in.

And someone mentioned Saints players doing clinics in Casey - yes there are the odd ones, but well outnumbered by others. Clearly, if based in Casey and with a long term plan to gain the hearts of the local kids, they will be at Auskick venues (and these are huge Auskick venues with 300 or 400 kids in some cases), going to schools appearing in the local shopping centres and visiting local junior footy clubs.

Naturally it will take an effort, but the rewards will be reaped for years.

WE do more than the odd clinic down that way. All our clinics are down that way. I have repeatedly why training in a suburb equates to supporting a club. No one goes to training and we dont play at the ground. there is no reason you would follow a club because they train in the area. And dont say clinics because as I said they are all held down that way at the moment.

asiu

the saints moving into the area would be a big news big buzz experience.......that would capture alot of the first bunch of '5 and 6 year old kids'...wouldn't it ?

being a part of the local area would then gives us first dibs on the hearts of that age group as they come through,

agreed , its a long term vision , but in ten - fifteen years as the first and following waves comes through (with memberships) .....we grow

let alone the growth from actually jagg'n a flag or two

yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:Well from my prospective as a Gippsland Country supporter group organiser - Cranbourne has a huge up-side. Believe me, there are thousands of saints fans living east of melb - both in the south east and far east. Cranbourne would be like a magnet to many of these fans, MEMBERSHIPS will result - believe me. heaps and heaps I reckon.

However, there is a down side as Plugger has pointed out. The players. And personally speaking - I am moving back into town, so Cranbourne is not that good for me!! But, the south east corridor of Melb IS a gold mine - believe me. The Saints would easily get 40000 members if they shifted their base to that area. Incidentally - club functions would continue to be held in key central city venues like Docklands, Crown etc. They would never hold a major club function away from the city. So no diff there. Just the training facilities and club base would be located at where the Scorps currently play. So, overall - I can't see any major problems for the club if they went down that path.

I keep asking this but no one will give me an answer. Why would people follow a club because they train near you. No one goes to training. We also do clinics down that there now so they will not increase. There is no reason why extra people would follow them because they are in the area.
Plugger, my view is that if the club establishes a social club venue in Cranbourne - and provide weekly / fortnightly open training sessions, then ppl will go there as opposed to elsewhere. They would embrace being a part of the Saints club cos it would now be more local to them. I might be wrong - but I reckon they would feel more like part of the club. With regards to the players - I would imagine that a completely revamped training schedule would accommodate the difference in locations for the players. I am more than happy for them to remain at Moorabbin personally. But, I have the view that Cranbourne would not be the disaster some are predicting.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
killa_gram
Club Player

Casey.....no thanks I'll pass. I'd rather we go to the Gold Coast.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

sounds good to me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:the saints moving into the area would be a big news big buzz experience.......that would capture alot of the first bunch of '5 and 6 year old kids'...wouldn't it ?
Why.???.and Where??.

How many 5 and 6 year olds do you know that watch TV news avidly... (which would be only one 5 second grab anyway....) or avidly read their local newspaper......which would only occassionally cover the saints and probably only marginally more than they cover Casey anyway??

Personally I cannot see why 5/ 6 year olds would flock to the Saints just because the Saints train there....particualrly when mum or dad are say fans of other AFL Clubs...

5/ 6 year olds will however take note of AFL teams and Stars who feature regularly on TV.....and who are SUCCESSFUL.....

Clinics etc is basically nonsense as ALL Melbourne Clubs including the Saints are doing them...so we have NO competitive advantage there.

Argue the merits of better training facilities at Casey...YES... (and as some have said build player education and recreational facilities as well so they can attend fora day including two training sessions) BUT it is the stuff of fairy tales to imagine that hordes of young kids will choose the saints just because the saints train at Casey. They will not.

The undecided kids will in the main:

*look at who is winning games

*who their mates at school barrack for....

*react to who they see in the media often.....playing at Casey will have little effect)

*.females (those in their teens+)will also react to the cute factor

If their parents or sibling have a leaning that will have a big influence..

Where the Saints train will have VERY very little influence...very little...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....