NEW FORMAT OF THE AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: NEW FORMAT OF THE AFL

karnak wrote:There seems to be a lot of contention around the interstate vs vic etc etc etc. This has arisen once again with what looks like kangaroos set to move to the gold coast.

I believe that the following should happen.

Kangas and Hawks relocated.

This makes 8 interstate and 8 victorian teams.

At this point there sould be 2 divisions.

A Victorian league and an Interstate leage.

It works as follows; Victorian teams play one another twice throughout the season.

Intestate teams play one another twice throughout the season.

The top 2 teams from each division enter a finals series.

The shorter season allows for bigger preseason and higher lvl of competition. It also allows the game to build overseas with more time for exhibition matches etc.

This would largely remove the home ground advantage that interstate clubs currently have over victorian clubs. It would also allow the remaining vic teams to survive because they would all get to play the vic teams twice throughout the season.

Anyway, its different but the current format sucks.
So the intwerstate sides travel every second week and the vic sides never travel. Not sure that is even slightly fair. And with divisions one can get stronger and the other weeker so they then become uneven. Finally 16 games wouldnt relly satisfy people IMO.

noreason41
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Do you see the effects the games have on the players. You must be joking or no little or nothing about football. Comparing them to normal workers. Must be the silliest thing written on this site. Some players have an operation every year but that doesnt matter make the season longer. In other jobs they have operations consistantly dont they. A lot of players need to knee replacements, cant play golf, or play with their kids etc when their careers are finished but who cares extend the season. Yes you are right how easy is it for footballers.
Increasing the season would mean the players would stay fitter. Instead of having 4 months off, in which time they go out, get smashed and forget about footy, they'd have to keep playing which would keep them fit and in form.

Most other respectable sports play many more than 26-30 games in a year, and don't have an off season anywhere near as long as the AFL's.

karnak
Club Player

equity is all relative to the competition.

If eveyr side is travelling everyr 2nd week then it is fair.

at the moment it isnt' fair, as we've been going on about it for the last 5yrs on this forum.

As for most other competitions, I suggest you take a look at College Football in the States. It has 13 rounds and they're all of a very high standard, and people are pining for it so bad they go to heaps of games etc.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noreason41 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do you see the effects the games have on the players. You must be joking or no little or nothing about football. Comparing them to normal workers. Must be the silliest thing written on this site. Some players have an operation every year but that doesnt matter make the season longer. In other jobs they have operations consistantly dont they. A lot of players need to knee replacements, cant play golf, or play with their kids etc when their careers are finished but who cares extend the season. Yes you are right how easy is it for footballers.
Increasing the season would mean the players would stay fitter. Instead of having 4 months off, in which time they go out, get smashed and forget about footy, they'd have to keep playing which would keep them fit and in form.

Most other respectable sports play many more than 26-30 games in a year, and don't have an off season anywhere near as long as the AFL's.

Give me a sport that goes that long where there are collisions every second contest and is played on a huge field where they run up to 20km a game. I cannot think of any. Also playing longer would increase injuries as they need rest to get over injuries from the previous season. Also they have 8 weeks off not 4 months but dont let facts get in the way of a good story. As for getting smashed I dont think that would be true either as most seasons they have to front up for training at a certain fitness.

Huzzad
Club Player

Not a fan. Interesting idea, but I dont like the idea of playing the same 7 teams every year. I enjoy playing 15. That is more compeditive to me. The only place that works is the US, in Baseball, Ice Hockey and NFL because there are that many number of teams it is rediculous. Keep afl the way it is I say, interstate fixtures are a way of life now. Im lucky if I see one game a year (i live in sydney) yet I am still a mad saints supporter.

besides its pretty unfair. All vic teams play in victoria. Where as brisbane teams would have to fly to the west or to sydney or sa. They'd be flying every second week (i know they fly alot now anyway) but still, I just think that is a bit unfair. Then they play victorian teams in the finals who have no jetlag because they never fly, are fitter and strogner youd think, seems a little bit one-sided.

karnak
Club Player

I used to live in QLD, before moving to London, so yes I understand that its tough to see games live.

However; with this format there is nothing to say that you wouldnt' have an exhibition match in WA, QLD, SA etc.

The point is though that both teams would be playing away, and should bring good crowds for people that wanna see teams that dont' usually play there.

The point is that I believe that interstate clubs currently have a massive advantage over vic ones. This comes from money off the field and there obviously superior football departments. I do feel though that the true homeground advantage of any vic team, other than Nth, Hawks and predominantly the cats is non existent.

I think this would help to solve the inequities. Also if you're unhappy about the finals structure then make it the top 3 or 4 teams from each division.

But I think it more important to have say 4 weeks of international exhibition games in various cities around the world. There should be at least 4 good games a year in London.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We do not need to sell our game to anyone else. There are to many rules and played on to bigger a ground so it just wouldnt work. Lets leave the great game the way it is even if the draw can be unfair at times.