Training Times 2007/2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Barney2
Club Player

Barney2 wrote:WHO CARES ABOUT PRE SEASON TRAINING. GET A LIFE BLOKES. WE CAN SEE THEM IN PRE GAMES AND CANT WAIT TO SEE FATTY, DEMPSTER AND KINGY IN ACTION. CHARLIE GARDINER WASTE OF PICK. HAVENT HEARD GOOD REPORTS ABOUT HIM AND HAVE SEEN HIM IN PATCHES. WAIT AND SEE. G IS A BIG LOSS BY THE WAY.
BRING BACK THE FERGMEISTER FOR FULL FORWARD. HOW STUPID ARE RECRUITMENT FOR LETTING FERG GO WHEN G RETIRES IN MY OPINION. GIVE HIM ANOTHER 1 YEAR AND LET HIM GET A FULL PRESEASON TRAINING UNDER BELT.
SAY NO MORE

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Barney..dont shout and dont requote your own stuff..we heard you the first time..

Just one other angle on this...I wonder how it affects the chances of snagging a sponsor if theres no chance of a training top adorning their name being seen on TV Pre-season..or art least far less than other clubs?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Hear what you're saying 66au re: sponsors ...

Although someone above posted that this could work in our favour.

Imagine the media reports - "complete lockout at Saints training" ... "mystery surrounds Saints preparation for 2008" etc. etc.

Could create a bit of attention in itself.

Although I reckon the sponsors would prefer to have their name plastered all over the TV :)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Put their signage up on the locked gates. :wink:

Unless 'Lockwood' is getting on board?

I would think players wearing training apparel with sponsors logos on them (pre-season) would be a very small % of the sponsorship deal and the club would negotiate another avenue if that was a big enough issue.

Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

I am extremely upset by this decison i just can't see the logic behind it except for what some one else has said. This is all Ross Lyon's decison and the more i see of him the more i can't stand him.
Ross Lyon

Is this why Fitzroy no longer exists? Shutting out the members.

I would have thought you of all people would realise the importance of passionate members.

You aren't in Sydney now, where you can hide the team away and nobody knows or cares. This is the heartland of footy and the membership will not be shut out.

Keep up this this rubbish and the club will die.

WE ARE STKILDA NOT SYDNEY

If this riddulous decison stays then they can forget my membership.
How are we suppose to put all our faith in a team we haven't even got to see.

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
asiu

This is all Ross Lyon's decison....
agreed

but be fair
GW: "Ross Lyon is the senior coach. He will remain the senior coach He has our full support. The football subcommittee and the football department will not be directing Ross Lyon. He steers the ship and they will endeavor to support him in every way possible."
if a closed summer equals a stab at the flag ....i'm in

apple_corr39
Club Player

yes, but what is the PURPOSE of closed training sessions during the OFF SEASON???? over a period 4 1/2 months??? enlighten me. :roll:

disappointed to say the least. is it not reasonable to think, as i have mentioned in a post on page 1, that some of us STILL go to school and vce requires us to be at school during the day, so we therefore cannot get to training sessions in the middle of the week at our own leisure?? :evil:

bubblegoose
Club Player

Otiman wrote:I wouldn't mind a once-a-month session for the public, to see the boys in action. Market it well enough for a sunday afternoon, sell drinks, memberships, and merchandise. Mix it up with merchandise sale events, and player signings.
Great idea Otiman, I like it!

* Conditions apply
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I used to love going to training when I was not working full time, and I really miss not being able to go to chat to my boys.

Closing training off for the whole summer is a pretty bizare move, I'd like to see more of an explination than "we don't want our tactics leaked". :roll:

RL, we know our tactics, they suck. If you are using the summer to come up with something better than "get 30 points or so in front then sit back and try to save the game", I'm all for it, but let the members in once in a while, we're paying your salary after all.

asiu

.....could be simply to stop em poncing around like a bunch of metro / emo 10feet tall rockstars and to start thinking and acting like footballers

i hope thats the reason

ask ross :idea:

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote: ask ross :idea:
Can't get near him. Training's closed.

Could yell from outside the ground I guess.

Best not to hand him a piece of paper with advice during a game I imagine.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps our new sponsor is 3 mobile, and you can only watch training on your 3 mobile.......or some crap similar to that!!!

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:

ask ross :idea:
Don't think so. RL strikes me as a pretty arrogant, aloof person compared to the opennes of the previous regime. Whatever his coaching faults, at least Thomas was always good to the supporters.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

at least Thomas was always good to the supporters.
RIc, I reckon ONE particular supporter might take you to task on that point ;-);-);-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:RL strikes me as a pretty arrogant, aloof person
You're entitled to your impression, but anyone who has spent even 5 minutes with him would tell you that he is anything but arrogant and aloof.

IMHO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
spiral2
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:I know this seems like Secret Squirrel stuff and it is but this is where the Marketing Department and Members Services need to come up with a couple more pre season player involved days for members. I am sure Ross and the captain(s) will still conduct press conferences and there will still be shots of players at recovery sessions.

Good on the Footy Department. Afterall it is Footy First and that's what they are doing. I am sure they will address the supporters in due course and we will not be forgotten
this is the crux of the problem

the marketing/news dept. (in my opinion) don't do enough over the summer months. it's pretty obvious from the popularity of training reports how many people are interested in what's happening during pre season.
how long were some of last years new recruits pictured with the 'invisible man' head shots....how many injury/rehab group updates were there?
maybe if the saints official news arm was somewhere near to up to date then I wouldn't be concerned...

also some of the ultra nice drivel that gets served up as news/profile pieces doesn't bode well for a club managed info stream re training

how many secrets have the club got anyway?
any opposition club that really wants to find out stuff, surely will be able to, one way or another...
why piss off the life blood of the club just for this perceived threat?
have the footy dept. being on the hooch since the end of season and become paranoid??? they're all out to get you Ross, lock the doors man!
even if a opposition club uncovers some amazing secret about our preseason training, they still have to get 22 individuals to exploit it on game day...

I'm very keen to hear the official line from the club, as I don't think any of the reasons put forward are good enough

just seems like more coporate sh.ite to me.
the banning of pics reeked of copyright protection of afl images to me...rather than any of the other reasons put forward

I love going to training, it's one of the few old school footy things left available to the fans. to be able to go to training and see the stars of our club up close and personal is great, and as has been pointed out to me by overseas visitors, a very unique experience

summer training is a real highlight for me, there's new players to see, new staff, new methods and best of all, sunny days to chill out in 8-)

regimented training days with bbq & beer, might be a compromise but it's hardly the same
for starters it would make it far more difficult for people to get along if there is only one session per month...
as well as that, I want to see what the team is up to, who is being tried in new spots, who's dominating time trials etc, not some media managed half arsed training...

I'm more than happy to write less 'insightful' training reports, if that's what the club is paranoid about. if so perhaps the club should give us some guidelines on what can and cannot be reported. however, I don't think anything reported on here would be very useful to opposition clubs and that far better info could be garnered through opposition spies or through trade whispers

a sad day if this ban is to be enforced, I see it as another step in the club divorcing itself from its die hard supporters and the core roots of aussie rules football... :(

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The whole summer CLOSED?

WOW.

sasaint
Club Player

The attached I expect is what the club is trying to avoid but as you can see (this is off BigFooty) you can't keep a secret in this town.
Rohan Bail
Currently doing a pre season with St Kilda jumped off the plane monday and won the 6 km time trial against all 1st and 2nd year players + players coming back from injury (goddard etc)...

18 years old from Mt Gravatt, midfielder, can play on a wing or in the guts but also shown an excellent pair of hands up forward on a flank. Kicked 4 goals in the AFLQ grand final win and was IMO best on ground. Massive motor would of won the 3km at draft camp runs sub 10 min regularly. Skills are good and decision making is improving.
Personally I love this sort of info about what we might expect to see in the new season :D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:The attached I expect is what the club is trying to avoid but as you can see (this is off BigFooty) you can't keep a secret in this town.
Rohan Bail
Currently doing a pre season with St Kilda jumped off the plane monday and won the 6 km time trial against all 1st and 2nd year players + players coming back from injury (goddard etc)...

18 years old from Mt Gravatt, midfielder, can play on a wing or in the guts but also shown an excellent pair of hands up forward on a flank. Kicked 4 goals in the AFLQ grand final win and was IMO best on ground. Massive motor would of won the 3km at draft camp runs sub 10 min regularly. Skills are good and decision making is improving.
Personally I love this sort of info about what we might expect to see in the new season :D
Why wasnt he at draft camp....

Im for drafting footballers and not athletes.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i sent an email to archie fraser about this, and someone else replyed as he is on holiday.
but she said that this has been brought up a few time and she will pass it on to him when he gets back, and she is sure it wont stay that way and we will get our way.
we better! :evil:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:i sent an email to archie fraser about this, and someone else replyed as he is on holiday.
but she said that this has been brought up a few time and she will pass it on to him when he gets back, and she is sure it wont stay that way and we will get our way.
Are we officially allowed to send Archie emails? Or did his address get leaked...and he is just being kind in replying.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:i sent an email to archie fraser about this, and someone else replyed as he is on holiday.
Are we officially allowed to send Archie emails? Or did his address get leaked...and he is just being kind in replying.
http://westofmoorabbin.com/staff.html
Archie Fraser
Chief Executive Officer
Phone: 1300 734 134
Email: archief@saints.com.au

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

2 years ago I retired after more than 40 years in the workforce.

I sold my house in the Eastern Suburbs and purchased an abode close to Linton Street, Moorabbin (at great expense), so that I could attend training on a regular basis and enjoy the benefits of being a Social Club Member.

What do I find?

There is no Social Club.

Training is haphazard and mostly closed to the public, including members. Mind you the press seem to get a look in.

I must now seriously consider ceasing my membership and just going to selected games. This after over 45 years membership.

I'm sure that if the club continues along this line, they will end up in the same position North Melbourne find themselves.

The AFL will always be eager to relocate or see the demise of Victorian clubs.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spiral2
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:2 years ago I retired after more than 40 years in the workforce.

I sold my house in the Eastern Suburbs and purchased an abode close to Linton Street, Moorabbin (at great expense), so that I could attend training on a regular basis and enjoy the benefits of being a Social Club Member.

What do I find?

There is no Social Club.

Training is haphazard and mostly closed to the public, including members. Mind you the press seem to get a look in.

I must now seriously consider ceasing my membership and just going to selected games. This after over 45 years membership.

I'm sure that if the club continues along this line, they will end up in the same position North Melbourne find themselves.

ripped off Bernard!
that double standard with members vs. press is quite disturbing

though I guess can't have devoted members like yourself getting along to training, selling all the clubs secrets and causing general mayhem...:?

there is a lot of worth in valuing traditions in footy, sadly the AFL and clubs seem determined to slowly erode away all those that don't line their fattening pockets. I thought we followed a club, not a corporation.... :evil:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:2 years ago I retired after more than 40 years in the workforce.

What do I find?

There is no Social Club.

I feel for you man.

I cant imagine how heart-broken, robbed and shafted you must feel...

How hard would it be for the club to only allow members at the very least, watch training.....

Its becoming more and more business orientated...a path that shows little passion, loyalty and respect to those that matter. Us.