Training Times 2007/2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

Training Times 2007/2008

I contacted the club today and got the following info:

There will not be any Open training sessions during the Pre-Season 2007/2008. In-season for 2008 the club will be working off the same protocol as 2007, i.e. Tuesdays will be Open sessions and Thursday's will be Closed sessions. The players get back from leave on the 5th November.

Thanks to the staff members that chased this up

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting, perhaps this could be related to the detailed descriptions of drills and how players were being used over the last pre-season.

Disappointing from a personal point of view, because I was quite interested in all of the goings on, but perfectly understandable from a sporting point of view.

Bring on the intra-club!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

NO OPEN SESSIONS OVER SUMMER :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:

How are we expected to sell the club during this time :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:

The Peanut
Club Player

Eastern wrote:NO OPEN SESSIONS OVER SUMMER :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:

How are we expected to sell the club during this time :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:
Yep I agree - I actually chased this up because I wanted to see the new guys etc etc

Archie is on leave and answered my email from home - he is looking into it when he gets back but apparently the above is the official line from the footy dept.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind a once-a-month session for the public, to see the boys in action. Market it well enough for a sunday afternoon, sell drinks, memberships, and merchandise.

Mix it up with merchandise sale events, and player signings.

Wishful thinking says they're toying with supply and demand, from a corporate point of view.

jk23
Club Player

Do you think they will have a Xmas day like the family day????

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

ohh thats really disappointing i was looking forward to especially go down to melb on the 5th! :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x

Go saints in '09!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Cheers for your efforts Peanut.

None?

*raises eyebrows*

Geez, that's tough for the supporters.

I reckon at least once a month they could have an open session - once in November, once in December, once in January and once in February ...

That's only 4, and at least it gives the supporters a chance to see the boys train.

Surely that won't give away too many secrets :roll:

I'd be surprised if they don't alter this policy ... I was looking forward to getting down to training for the last time in Nov/Dec before I leave Melbourne for a few years ...

Make a bit of noise Peanut ...

I reckon there might be a board directive on this one if Westaway and Burkey get wind of it.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Surely that won't give away too many secrets :roll:
Also, we could give out false secrets ;)

Play an intra-club with Kosi at full back, Rix at Full Forward, and Milne in the ruck.

The Peanut
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote: ... I'd be surprised if they don't alter this policy ... I was looking forward to getting down to training for the last time in Nov/Dec before I leave Melbourne for a few years ...

Make a bit of noise Peanut ...

I reckon there might be a board directive on this one if Westaway and Burkey get wind of it.
... hopefully this thread will do the trick ...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

**Hides in a fallout shelter and waits for the nuclear explosion at this bit of news**

:shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Damn it.. summer is the best time to watch them train...

TOPS are off during the summer, it makes for great viewing

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
apple_corr39
Club Player

and can someone please enlighten me on the purpose of these "closed sessions" during the OFF SEASON???

this is disgusting.... i'm sorry, but don't the club realise that some people do have school, uni and work during the season, and cannot make training sessions in the middle of a school/work day??

not one open session from november- february/march.

pathetic. i'm not usually one to complain, but hell...... very poor treatment towards the supporters. Doesn't the club want to raise membership levels?? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

please expect an extremely long email, archie (or whoever it will be posted to)

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

That's absolute crap. Surely they could just have a session open every 2 weeks that is just general fitness and running and some not so secretive drills? just bulls*** from the club, what a disgrace.

Carpe Diem
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

a bloody masterstroke..why show the opposition how we have become the most ineffective scoring team in the comp

our aim to drag membership down to about 28000 is now a reality

we are not sydney...we cant hide in a corner...we are COMPETING against 9 other clubs all fighting over the same $

our new sponsors are gonna really get value for money ...sfa

by the way...whatever happened to sff,take it they are still with us

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Times 2007/2008

The Peanut wrote:I contacted the club today and got the following info:

There will not be any Open training sessions during the Pre-Season 2007/2008. In-season for 2008 the club will be working off the same protocol as 2007, i.e. Tuesdays will be Open sessions and Thursday's will be Closed sessions. The players get back from leave on the 5th November.

Thanks to the staff members that chased this up
Surely this cannot be true.

Archie is on leave and answered my email from home - he is looking into it when he gets back but apparently the above is the official line from the footy dept.

The new football sub-committee underneath board member N. Burke??

or head coach?? or new football manager??

Has to have been a breakdown in communication from those who passed this onto you Peanut???

If not.....................................disgrace.

Many supporters/members attend on a training day to do some shopping at the Members store.......I mean merchandise store

Maybe the word OPEN should hve read CLOSED in your club info
:wink: :wink:

saint4life
The Peanut
Club Player

Re: Training Times 2007/2008

chook23 wrote: Surely this cannot be true.

The new football sub-committee underneath board member N. Burke??

or head coach?? or new football manager??

Has to have been a breakdown in communication from those who passed this onto you Peanut???

If not.....................................disgrace.

Many supporters/members attend on a training day to do some shopping at the Members store.......I mean merchandise store

Maybe the word OPEN should hve read CLOSED in your club info
:wink: :wink:
Yep - I hope so - I will draw this thread to Archie's attention on Friday when he gets back to work - but in the mean time someone from the footy department may see it. Nonetheless, the staff member that went out of her way to follow up my request provided the information in good faith and I believe that the request was followed up properly, so someone must have provided the information. They just need to realise the full implications of this stance and make an amicable amendment. :wink:

Edit: Archie did say in his email that he wasn't sure whether the players are 'getting on the track early', so perhaps this is the reason why the sessions are not open.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure all who attend are happy not to post detailed training reports with specific drills etc.

I'm sure SS/WOM could come to an agreement with the club not to allow photos/intimate details about training to be posted, provided supporters are allowed to go along and watch ... and provided we can have rough reports posted up here.

If that's what they are worried about.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I'm sure all who attend are happy not to post detailed training reports with specific drills etc.

I'm sure SS/WOM could come to an agreement with the club not to allow photos/intimate details about training to be posted, provided supporters are allowed to go along and watch ... and provided we can have rough reports posted up here.

If that's what they are worried about.
Jumping at shadows if that is the problem/reason OWTS!! doubt it.

:roll: :roll:

saint4life
Solar
Saintsational Legend

disgrace if true, there must be a better way to handle it, even if it was once a month, would be great to get down to the 'bin and see the boys!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Well funnily enough...in a different more ideal world, training over summer wold be all closed sessions anyway...Why??..the same reason that all Bulldogs training was off limits in 07..

Because as we speak the Oval surrounds should be a demolition / construction zone for our new Elite Training Centre!!!!!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Oh and dont forget..all you lot who felt your civil liberties impinged on when the CLub banned photo taking at training...you can always storm the barricades and just watch training despite Club directives ;-) ;-)

In all seriousness though, I'm sure a compromise will be reached. A well-promoted fortnightly session with snags and hordes of people to sell you Memberships and Merch would be fair :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Can't think of any other reasons chook ... as stupid as the one above sounds.

There's nothing the Saints would be doing that another club wouldn't already know anyway.

I can understand if they want some closed sessions - fair enough.

But surely 1 out of the 7-8 sessions a fortnight could be open for supporters.

I daresay there was a 'breakdown in communication' somewhere along the line.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

How bloody ridiculous!!!

Perhaps they dont realise how much interest the training posts generated amongst the supporters last season. If the club were smart they would use this period to generate membership by having a 'members only' access to off season data, photographs and player chats. Information that can only be accessed by the 'Early Bird' memberships sign on posted onto their site.

The club have 40 players, whom if used smartly could provide a huge marketing bonus throughout the year!

All supporters want during the off season, are little snippets of hope! For example stories on how BALL is recovering, on the new medical staff (photo's), on the new recruits, projected plans for the new training facilities. A bit of respect, vision and hope is all SAINTS supporters need and they will sign in droves.

However if the club do lock out supporters and this is how the club are going to treat their members then they can expect a considerable down turn in membership numbers.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

im a bit pi$$3d off
as in summer all i usually do is swim, eat, drink, run, sleep and watch the saints train!
now i can only swim, eat, drink, run and sleep! :lol:

but they should let us watch, thats a stupid idea not letting us! we are supporters/members, the club is nothing with out us! so they sould be bl00dy grateful and let us watch!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

this is pathetic!

its not like watching our players running around the oval is going to be selling the opposition secret information

and the training drills they did were in no means related to any game plans

We have gone from being a "free country" club where we could watch training, take pictures of the new recruits, etc

to having all technology banned and now being banned all together

and why throughout the offseason and not in the onseason...surely our match day tactics which will be practised throughout the season are more important to hide than which players have put on muscle throughout the summer :roll:

thankyou peanut for the update but please fight hard with archie over this...or at least get a worthwhile reason