PSD - Cousins??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should St Kilda take Ben Cousins in the pre-season draft?

Yes
48%
No
40%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 91

Saint Mik
Club Player

Bally Benny and Banger has a good ring to it :wink:

Why cant we offer him a truckload of coin for the first year to secure him then balance it out over the rest of his contract.

Performanced based of course.

When will the clubs be told or the clubs tell the AFL if he can be taken and who actually wants him.

I say we take a massive punt and have a crack at him, we have lost our fair share of gun players over the years lets return the favour to a few clubs and get someone on our list that is going to hurt the opposition.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Bally Benny and Banger has a good ring to it :wink:

Why cant we offer him a truckload of coin for the first year to secure him then balance it out over the rest of his contract.

Performanced based of course.

When will the clubs be told or the clubs tell the AFL if he can be taken and who actually wants him.

I say we take a massive punt and have a crack at him, we have lost our fair share of gun players over the years lets return the favour to a few clubs and get someone on our list that is going to hurt the opposition.
he comes with his own crack, quality supply.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saint Mik
Club Player

Every bloke on the list has got a crack and should have a crack

The quality always vary's depends on who you talk to :wink:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Every bloke on the list has got a crack and should have a crack

The quality always vary's depends on who you talk to :wink:
:roll:

that said, he remains de registered and hopefully he wont get legal action to save his bacon for 08 till after the nomination period.

which leads us to 2009, when he will be 31ish with effectively 2 season out of football.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saint Mik
Club Player

You know he's got the right people behind him to go the AFL "IF" they try to stop him from playing.

He will fight to the end that he has been clean for the past 12 months and he will play in 08 IMO.

He has NOT been done for anything when will people get there head around that.

He is back in rehab for what reason to continue what he started or for a problem who knows but i will say to me it seems a little odd that if he was doing drugs again you would think someone would have come out with some story, why is it that no one seems to know anything about the drug taking when and where?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:You know he's got the right people behind him to go the AFL "IF" they try to stop him from playing.

He will fight to the end that he has been clean for the past 12 months and he will play in 08 IMO.

He is back in rehab for what reason to continue what he started or for a problem who knows but i will say to me it seems a little odd that if he was doing drugs again you would think someone would have come out with some story, why is it that no one seems to know anything about the drug taking when and where?
they why is he going to rehab?

I dont for a minute believe he was clean in 07.

just because your not caught doesn't mean your clean, marion jones wasn't caught in Sydney olympics. and she was tested about 20 times leading up to and including the games.

SHUT UP KRIME!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:You know he's got the right people behind him to go the AFL "IF" they try to stop him from playing.

they why is he going to rehab?

I dont for a minute believe he was clean in 07.

just because your not caught doesn't mean your clean, marion jones wasn't caught in Sydney olympics. and she was tested about 20 times leading up to and including the games.

And why did he refuse to have a blood test when picked up by the cops recently? If he had nothing to fear from it, he would have said yes. Exactly the same scenario as when he ran from the cops with his 4WD stranded on Canning Hwy. He had something in his system and didn't want it discovered.

There's no way I want Cousins anywhere near Moorabbin. All of you salivating over picking him up in the draft, have a think about what sort of statement that would make about the STKFC. He's a complete tosser. An arrogant little turd with a huge ego. He's disgraced himself and his club and you're fantasising about seeing him in a Saints jumper. All of a sudden people are calling him Benny and imagining him with Bally and Harves. Get a grip. He's poison.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:There's no way I want Cousins anywhere near Moorabbin. All of you salivating over picking him up in the draft, have a think about what sort of statement that would make about the STKFC.
You mean the statement "We want a premiership"?

If we draft Cousins and he helps us win a flag I don't care how much of a self-centered, arrogant, feral, drugged-up prick he is. As long as he stays off the drugs during the season then the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hypothetical scenario

St Kilda draft Cousins with pick 8 in the PSD on a contract able to be terminated at the first sign of trouble

Cousins plays 22 games in the home and away season averaging 25 disposals and kicking 30 goals. St Kilda finish in the top 2

St Kilda wins the flag with Cousins being a key contributor

What would you remember about season 2008 in 20 years time? St Kilda's premiership or us having a d**khead on the team?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

alternative scenario

cousins is picked up by st kilda in the PSD.

cousins detected with drugs in his system round 6.

St Kilda's points are docked for games cousins played in, and he is sumarily suspended for 6 months for playing under the influence of stimulants.

season 2008 written of because of a drug cheat.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
st.byron wrote:There's no way I want Cousins anywhere near Moorabbin. All of you salivating over picking him up in the draft, have a think about what sort of statement that would make about the STKFC.

If we draft Cousins and he helps us win a flag I don't care how much of a self-centered, arrogant, feral, drugged-up prick he is. As long as he stays off the drugs during the season then the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hypothetical scenario

St Kilda draft Cousins with pick 8 in the PSD on a contract able to be terminated at the first sign of trouble

Cousins plays 22 games in the home and away season averaging 25 disposals and kicking 30 goals. St Kilda finish in the top 2

What would you remember about season 2008 in 20 years time? St Kilda's premiership or us having a d**khead on the team?
So the ends justify the means in your hypothetivcal?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
So the ends justify the means in your hypothetivcal?
IMO thats exactly what the cousins cheer squad is saying...

SHUT UP KRIME!
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Alternative alternative scenario

Richmond pick up Cousins in the preseason draft and we win a flag without him

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

why not just put a couple of our guys on performance-enhancing amphetamines. :wink: imagine's harvs's "tank". he'd go another couple of seasons.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Alternative alternative scenario

Richmond pick up Cousins in the preseason draft and we win a flag without him
WCE won a premiership with a FF less talented that FG, one quality defender in glass, and their best goal scorer...retired (phil matera).

Sydney won a flag with very limited pace and discipline.

the Geelong side which hammered everyone in 07, was pretty much the same side we beat in 06 and was looking very ordinary in that year too.

they pretty much had the same mix of players from 06 to 07, but played close to their potential for the whole season.

Cousins wont deliver a premiership if we play some of the rubbish we turned out in 07 again in 08.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Agree Dan. I don't think Cousins is the panacea some are making him out to be.

If he was, he would be picked up by Richmond ... or Carlton ... or Melbourne ... or Essendon ... or Fremantle ... or Footscray ... or Brisbane ...

The only way he would slip to St Kilda would be if those clubs passed up the panacea, ostensibly because he is damaged goods and would have a net negative effect upon those clubs.

The Cousins crusaders then suggest that the only reason those clubs would pass him up is because they are not "ruthless" or "hungry" enough to recruit Cousins in the interests of winning a flag. Bunch of mumma's boys, that's what they are.

But not the Saints. Oh no. We want a premiership more than anyone else, so we would give Cousins a shot on a 12-month performance-based contract. One slip-up, and he's gone.

Buckley's to none ...

The Peanut
Club Player

I voted unsure
I don't have the 'Patrick Smith' blinkers on and can't see why he doesn't get a go by another club - if he ends up clean.

A few things concern me re a St Kilda and Cousins mix.

• Confidence that he is 100% off drugs
• Mixing with Gardi may not be all that good for both of them
• His implied attachment to the underworld

But if these issues become a non-issue - go for him in a big way - stranger things have happened at sea.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

How will we all be feeling in two years time when Cousins pushes Dal Santo down a flight of stairs at the Spearmint Rhino, and Nick Riewoldt walks out on St Kilda and is recruited by Carlton because he is sick of the Cousins dramas?

claystreet
Club Player

Dockers are after Cousins
was on the radio on the way home

:roll:

Apu
Club Player

The guy has been given the best treatment money can buy. If that wasnt enough for him to get clean i'm not sure there is anything we could do for him.

No for me

dont know if anyone saw i think it was about last thursdays herald sun, st kilda, hawthorn, richmond and essendon came out and said no to cousins...collingwood said they would have to weigh up the issues and were undecided (probably where speculation he would be at collingwood came from) and no other club were prepared to comment, so i take it that we won't have ben cousins on our list in 08. I dont think he will be on any list this year personally, possibly return in 09

such is life
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:If he was, he would be picked up by Richmond ... or Carlton ... or Melbourne ... or Essendon ... or Fremantle ... or Footscray ... or Brisbane ...
None of those sides are likely to challenge for a flag next year. Brisbane and Freo our outside chances, but the other clubs are rebuilding and are far better off blooding kids. The potential upside of recruiting Cousins is far smaller for those clubs than it is for us.

If Richmond drafted Cousins what upside could it bring? They might win an extra game or two and miss out on more priority picks. They would also be depriving a kid of AFL experience. By the time Richmond are a decent side again Cousins will be retired.

We don't have any young midfielders to blood, so rather than recruiting another McGough or Jones we might as well go for someone who can actually play in Cousins. Those extra one or two games could see us finish in the top 2 and put us in a position to realistically challenge for a flag.

I follow the St Kilda FOOTBALL club, not the St Kilda social club. If someone can play good footy for us and not get the club into any major trouble then they are welcome IMO. He has never been charged with any major offence and moving to Melbourne would surely do him some good. He would no longer be considered a god by his entire state and would come under much closer scrutiny.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Hypothetical scenario

No, I mean that I don't want a, "self-centered, arrogant, feral, drugged-up prick" around the playing group because of the impact of having someone like that around the club. Especially someone as high profile as Cousins.
And I agree with the other posters in this thread who've referred to "the ends justifying the means". It doesn't.
He's had his chance, several of them, and he's forked it up.
Let him go off and fade into obscurity somewhere or stuff up another club but not St.Kilda.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

interesting that two WA posters - st byron and riewoldting - are opposed to recruiting benny

i guess being closer to his haunts, you guys would have a better idea of just how "on the nose" he is

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Apu wrote:The guy has been given the best treatment money can buy. If that wasnt enough for him to get clean i'm not sure there is anything we could do for him.

No for me
Well not really correct...as yes it was expensive.......but it was not LONG enough.

WC just paid for the MINIMUM to allow him to play....not to really treat him.

He should have been treated fora lot longer than the 6 weeks odd that he had.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think the AFL will register him and allow him to participate in the draft. even if they do we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole; sponsors demand squeaky clean players these days, and Benny boy comes with his own wagon train of troubles; can you imagine any sponsor wanting him involved in a club/sponsor function? And the press would be on him like white on rice, all the time. That can only be negative publicity for the club.

No thanks.