PSD - Cousins??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should St Kilda take Ben Cousins in the pre-season draft?

Yes
48%
No
40%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 91

RooandKosi
Club Player

PSD - Cousins??

The PSD

1. Richmond
2. Carlton
3. Melbourne
4. Essendon
5.Fremantle
6.Bulldogs
7. Brisbane
8. STKILDA

I dont know why people are talking collingwood?? maybe the money thing but we have xtra cash since we have had some pretty big retirements this year.

We should and i think will get Cousins IF he is available. Would be a great pickup and what a great end to a brilliant trading period!! However the tigers will probably get him yeah??

What chance are we?? We talked to him to already one of the few clubs or the only club to do so..... i believe.

The 6 clubs before us have they expressed they want him?? :?:

mod edit - poll added

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

richmond would take him you would think...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
GrumpyOne

Whoever drafts him will have to die their hair blonde and pick him up at Tulla in a Merc.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if thats what it takes

somehow if he gets clean i would be happy to have him

however how are we supposed to know

he is certainly a worthwhile addition as the 42nd player on our list

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Aren't there already multiple threads on this topic?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Solar
Saintsational Legend

a couple of things IMO

The eagles went very very close to losing draft picks/and or points over keeping this guy on their list. I can't think of any club that would risk it unless the AFL gave them assurances that they would not be punished if cousins bought the sport into disrepute.

Getting gards and cousins together is the last thing both need

I kind of like the fact that most of our news stories have been about on field problems. The worst thing that has hit the stands have been about our ex pres and our ex coach.

Final point, and happy if this is struck off the post but I assume that we would only take him if he gets off the ice but will he be his fantastic self once he is on the straight and narrow?? It has been shown that these drugs help training and fitness

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Richmond, Sydney and Collingwood have said no deal to cousins.

Carpe Diem
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

IF IF IF IF he gets clean and stays clean, its an idea that has merit.

But I think it is prudent to wait 12 months, he is still in rehab at the moment and would be a very bad idea for our clubs image.

As stated, I would cease support of this club if they allowed such an element into it, for whatever reason.

Brian Collis
Club Player

riccardo wrote:IF IF IF IF he gets clean and stays clean, its an idea that has merit.

But I think it is prudent to wait 12 months, he is still in rehab at the moment and would be a very bad idea for our clubs image.

As stated, I would cease support of this club if they allowed such an element into it, for whatever reason.
I think we should draft him then

Batnoe

Cousins in Melbourne general would still be bad for Gardiner

I hope we do get him, all he has to say is that he wants to go to Saints, he names his price that is too high for the other clubs and we can pick him up with a contract that goes down on the second year.

This is what we need to win a flag, could be the final string

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if he comes to st kilda I will have to wait till he leaves to abuse him :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Richmond, Sydney and Collingwood have said no deal to cousins.
... and reading between the lines the afl is deadset against him ever taking the field again.

cousins, however, is threatening to sue if he is barred from going in the psd ... and might have a fair case under "restraint of trade"

my personal opinion is that although he's a wonderful player we should concentrate on developing kids.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Is that a recent addition?

I love Brian

on the mid of the young lady (is it Sharapova?)?

Too much time on your hand BC :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:cousins, however, is threatening to sue if he is barred from going in the psd ... and might have a fair case under "restraint of trade"
No he doesn't

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum, if Ben Cousins played in a premiership 22 for St Kilda in 2008, then I would be over the moon. All of us would.

Because we would have won a flag ...

Straight down the line mummy's boys don't win you premierships. Cousins does.

Pick him up in the PSD.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's multiple, multiple threads on this. We really need a merge thread function, as it's unfair to lock/delete this one now that there's a few decent posts in it, but it really could be merged into any of the others...ah well. I'll raise it in the Moderators' Marquee at Derby Day.

My stance, well, I've made it clear for a while now. Get him. Get him any which way we can, provided we're not giving up a top 50 national draft pick, and that his salary is largely clause driven.

I'm not worried about him linking up with Gardiner again - I'm actually genuinely excited by it. With both of them fit and firing, our midfield goes from woeful in 2007 to turbocharged in 2008.

Get on board.

If we signed him up, I think we'd see a massive surge in memberships. Imagine the excitement factor around our club building up to round one?

I want that. I want the competition getting excited by us, not Hawthorn. I want the competition to scared about facing us, and I want us pulling 45,000 through the gate for a home match against Port.

And I want Cousins busting his arse off in the red, white and black to help bring Banger a flag.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: PSD - Cousins??

RooandKosi wrote:The PSD

1. Richmond
2. Carlton
3. Melbourne
4. Essendon
5.Fremantle
6.Bulldogs
7. Brisbane
8. STKILDA

I dont know why people are talking collingwood?? maybe the money thing but we have xtra cash since we have had some pretty big retirements this year.

We should and i think will get Cousins IF he is available. Would be a great pickup and what a great end to a brilliant trading period!! However the tigers will probably get him yeah??

What chance are we?? We talked to him to already one of the few clubs or the only club to do so..... i believe.

The 6 clubs before us have they expressed they want him?? :?:

Personally I think we will finish higher that 9th in 2008...so I don't think we will have much chance of selecting him in the national draft in 2008 which will be the first chance of any club securing him. :wink:

Though if you are are at say pick 15/16....would you go for Cousins who will be age 30 years 4 months at the next draft and about 31when he would play in 2009 and so may say have 2 years overa good kid????

Cousins as an ex-player I don't think the AFL rules will allow him to be taken in the 2008 PSdraft in 2008...and in 2007 he will not be a registered player and so cannot be frafted in either draft.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I've added a poll to this thread to try and gauge people's view ...

Whether or not we are able to take him is a different matter ... don't think the AFL would look too kindly on it.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:

Whether or not we are able to take him is a different matter ... don't think the AFL would look too kindly on it.
I think that all clubs will be ABLE to take him in the draft...BUT just not this year.

The AFL will want him to do his drug rehab......and do his time and being clean.

The issue which will STOP Ben being re-registered for this years draft is not drugs directly as there is no actual proof of drug taking...just Ben's admission that he has problems with "substances" without saying what they are....BUT rather his refusal to co-operate with Police and this will not be tested till AFTER this years draft.

A situation that the AFL is probably quite happy about because Cousin's high priced legal team will most likely find some wrinkle to have the charges dismissed or a not-guilty verdict achieved.

Either way 12 months of being a good lad will see him re-registered by the next draft if Cousins chooses to seek it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Fair dinkum, if Ben Cousins played in a premiership 22 for St Kilda in 2008, then I would be over the moon. All of us would. Because we would have won a flag ... Straight down the line mummy's boys don't win you premierships. Cousins does. Pick him up in the PSD.
i admit to being tempted.

true, a champion like cousins could make all the difference if we're in the running for a flag.

you have to weigh that up against his age, his troubled history, what it would cost us ... and whether we're prepared to sell our souls for a desperate shot at glory.

I'm one who considers both cousins's brownlow and the eagles' premiership tainted by his use of recreational (and performance-enhancing) drugs and i'm not sure i'd even want a similarly-tainted premiership.

you have to be able to look yourself in the mirror ... and i'm not sure that the eagles can.

the performance-enhancing aspect of these party drugs is, imo, what has the league running scared and i doubt very much whether they'll let cousins play next year, if ever.

btw, cousins's chemical addiction makes him as weak as any mummy's boy in my book.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

interesting the number of WCE fans turning on cousins for bringing disgrace to their club.

SHUT UP KRIME!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

If he cleans himself up......if the AFL register him as a player, if he lasts until pick 8 in the PSD........if........

Would take him in a heartbeat :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 30 Oct 2007 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:If he cleans himself up......if the AFL register him as a player, if........

will the AFL register him?

I guess if they can persuaded the AFL needs a villain WWE style, given the way the AFL is starting to run the sport :roll:

SHUT UP KRIME!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:If he cleans himself up......if the AFL register him as a player, if........

I guess if they can persuaded the AFL needs a villain WWE style, given the way the AFL is starting to run the sport :roll:
Don't know whether the AFL will register him - the noises they're making would make you think no way

Yes the AFL needs 'heel' type, like WWE - think they have a few already though :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

Don't know whether the AFL will register him - the noises they're making would make you think no way

Yes the AFL needs 'heel' type, like WWE - think they have a few already though :shock:
someone OTHER than demetriou I mean :lol:

as for un-deregistering (tm kthx n1ck) I hope they don't.

SHUT UP KRIME!