Time for one Captain in 08 and beyond.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:I remember what Grant (peace be upon him) used to do during training, he used to try to create a cauldron during goal-kicking practice where a group of players would stand around someone having a shot at goal shouting all kinds of things in an attempt to put the player off, which would make it difficult.

But nothing is more off-putting than knowing that there is a game on the line where, if the result doesn't go your way, jobs could be lost and you know that your next kick will have a massive bearing on the outcome.

That's real pressure and you can never recreate that.
Sure you can. Just sack the front desk girl every time Roo misses a goal at training.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Max Hudghton...tough, passionate and experienced

midas_touch
Club Player

Lenny and Roo are both excellent candidates for sole captain, but if I had a choice I'd go for Lenny, since the role was truly made for him. He's a blue collar player who is tough, courageous and uncompromising whose acts can prove to be inspiring. Not taking anything away from Roo, but Lenny truly embodies the archetype of a captain.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Also, Does anyone else favour a Midfielder as captain over a forward.

I do.

Reasoning, everythings all cool when winning, but a forward can sometimes have his influence around the ground limited when the team is struggling.

I truely believe the midfield is the best place to captains to exert their influence on the team. Yes, Carey Blah Blah, when your winning loop holes arnt visible to the naked eye.

Viva La Lenny!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If we were given a guarantee that Luke Ball would be back to his best next year he would be an outstanding choice for captain - I would struggle to split both he and Lenny.

A natural leader of men.

One of, if not the most courageous player in the competition. At the very least you would say nobody has more courage.

The most well-spoken footballer at the club and the most comfortable behind the cameras - astute with everything he has to say, never gets flustered (probably isn't Lenny's strong point).

Is tough and hard... maybe not the same type of take-no-prisoners, midfield general that Lenny is but he definitely has a presence about him imo.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The word is that when we pick up Cousins in the PSD, he will be made Captain.

Saint Mik
Club Player

I dont mind the 3 captians i think it works well for our club.

What way can you give the sole captaincy to one of them over the other without putting pressure on the two that dont get the job?

I cant split any of them to be honest all of them have different leadership qualities so i think it is good to get that leadership from all 3.

Until another player out of the three well and truly deserves the captaincy then i think it is best to leave it.

The only way i would except a sole captain to change things back to one is to give it to Harvey because he is one player that could easily do the job ahead of the other three but he would not agree to it IMO.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I believe the players should make the decision, only they can see the true leadership qualities of each other. During training, pre season after hours the player that all or most turn to or follow. We cant see most of this as outsiders players like Vandernberg earnt the respect of his team and they followed.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL