applaud everton's stance on duds

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

Re: applaud everton's stance on duds

rogerwa wrote:notice over the past few weeks how everton has drawn a line in the sand re duds
Who is duds?

And which side of the sand line is he on?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Put on your shield, Rog...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Sorry Roger, I have to disagree.

I applaud The Dud's stance on evertonfc.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

fonz_#15 wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Can we please take rubbish soccer to the general forum where it belongs.
nothing in the last 12 months has made me think soccer is rubbish when compared to afl..

lets have a look:

soccer:
tradition...check
rule changes....rare if ever
excitement.....far better than afl

football:
tradition...what tradition??
rule changes....where do i start?
excitement....kicking backwards, flooding???

i come from a family with an italian background, i however never gave 2 hoots about soccer.. i have always been an aussie rules fan, always will be, but have also developed a huge interest in soccer over the last 2-3 years after ignoring it from birth.

it is fabulous to watch, and only those who are ignorant choose to avoid the obvious threat it poses to our game at grassroots level.

i acknowledge that this s a football forum and i will not speak further about soccer on this forum, but rather in the general forum.
Just another world cup bandwagon jumper
How can you criticise aussie rules for kicking backwards when the soccer is based on keepings off, possession play in the back half, and rapturous crowd excitement at wayward kicks directed somewhere near a goal.
Tradition??? OUR home grown game, and most VFA clubs have been in existence longer than PL clubs.
Yes every dollar spent on a soccer in OZ directly diminishes our great game.
NO Im not ignorant just deeply passionate about Aussie rules and I will fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called "exciting".

Seeya
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Well that was certainly refreshing, sunsaint.

Watch your back, though, or the EPL fanboys will get ya.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Beej
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:NO Im not ignorant just deeply passionate about Aussie rules and I will fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called "exciting".
sunsaint, we're all deeply passionate about Aussie Rules and the Saints, obviously.

If you're going to fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called exciting, you're going to be fighting more than a billion people around the world.

Are you Chuck Norris? :D

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Can we please take rubbish soccer to the general forum where it belongs.
nothing in the last 12 months has made me think soccer is rubbish when compared to afl..

lets have a look:

soccer:
tradition...check

football:

i come from a family with an italian background, i however never gave 2 hoots about soccer.. i have always been an aussie rules fan, always will be, but have also developed a huge interest in soccer over the last 2-3 years after ignoring it from birth.

it is fabulous to watch, and only those who are ignorant choose to avoid the obvious threat it poses to our game at grassroots level.

i acknowledge that this s a football forum and i will not speak further about soccer on this forum, but rather in the general forum.
How can you criticise aussie rules for kicking backwards when the soccer is based on keepings off, possession play in the back half, and rapturous crowd excitement at wayward kicks directed somewhere near a goal.
Tradition??? OUR home grown game, and most VFA clubs have been in existence longer than PL clubs.
NO Im not ignorant just deeply passionate about Aussie rules and I will fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called "exciting".

could have sworn the world cup was last year :roll:

Tradition?? roos relocation? it will happen very soon.
the expansion to the national game? what happened to the VFL?

i would never miss an afl game for a soccer game (especially not an A-league game, the standard is disgusting), however if you fail to see the obvious excitement in a soccer game i feel you are missing out. I don't expect you to like it or embrace it, but don't criticise others for enjoying it.

granted soccer players do kick backwards on occassion, but it does eventually set up an attack, football teams do it to waste time.

all of that aside, this is a saints forum, i support the saints, and as a sports fan aussie rules will always be my favourite sport.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Richter
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
tradition...check

football:

I am a lover of both sports having been brought up playing and watching football (soccer) in the UK and having moved over to Victoria in my adult years becoming an avid Saints follower. I still play soccer twice a week.

However, where's the myth come from that soccer has the history and AFL doesn't? From wikipedia......
............[Aussie Rules Football]...... originated in Victoria during the Victorian gold rush, and organised and codified in Melbourne in 1858
............[soccer]............... was codified in England following the formation of The Football Association, whose 1863 Laws of the Game created the foundations for the way the sport is played today.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

OLB wrote:
sunsaint wrote:NO Im not ignorant just deeply passionate about Aussie rules and I will fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called "exciting".
sunsaint, we're all deeply passionate about Aussie Rules and the Saints, obviously.

If you're going to fight to the death anyone who erroneously believes soccer can be called exciting, you're going to be fighting more than a billion people around the world.

Are you Chuck Norris? :D
Chuck, Arnie, and Jackie Chan rolled into one,
bring it on all you silk wearing, panty wearing, I mean penalty diving, game fixing, Im prettier than Posh Spice Beckham fans....grrr... :twisted:

Seeya
Beej
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong with this, but sometimes I get the impression that people think an AFL supporter is being, in a sense, unfaithful by enjoying soccer. It's deemed acceptable to follow rugby but it's as if there's this unwritten rule that says an AFL supporter should NEVER follow soccer.

From my experience, I feel it's acceptable to follow rugby because it's a physical game and you've got to be tough as old boots to play it. I think that's the reasoning for most people, but then they'd turn around and tell you they love cricket.

I agree that it's pathetic when soccer players go down in a heap feigning injury. It's soft and it's disgraceful. It's the ugly side of the game and nobody would be happier than soccer fans if those things didn't happen but unfortunately it's part of the game.

Hear me out here, wherever there's competitive sport, there are cheats. With any football code in the world, if you can win a free-kick doing it, players are going to take advantage of it.

- In soccer when a player gets tapped around the ankles he'll go down. Often when he's not touched at all, he'll still go down. The fact that you can win a free-kick in the game by being kicked on the ankles allows players to easily simulate being kicked. Extremely diffiuclt for the referee to judge if there has been contact. That's cheating.

- In the AFL when a player gets tackled around the chest, he'll fling his head back. In a marking duel, if the player in front realises he's under the flight, he'll throw himself forward to make it seem like he was pushed in the back. That's cheating too.

Ice-hockey, basketball, water-polo; it doesn't matter which sport, athletes con referees.

Anyway, I digress...nobody who knows me would question my passion for the Saints. I love the Saints and I love footy. IMO Aussie Rules is the best and most exciting game on this planet but I'm also extremely passionate about Spurs and soccer. Nothing wrong with that.

:D
Last edited by Beej on Wed 31 Oct 2007 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:

Anyway, I digress...nobody who knows me would question my passion for the Saints. I love the Saints and I love footy. IMO Aussie Rules is the best and most exciting game on this planet but I'm also extremely passionate about Spurs and soccer. Nothing wrong with that.

yes this applies to me as well..replace spurs with liverpool as olb would know :)

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote::lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong with this, but sometimes I get the impression that people think an AFL supporter is being, in a sense, unfaithful by enjoying soccer. It's deemed acceptable to follow rugby but it's as if there's this unwritten rule that says an AFL supporter should NEVER follow soccer.

From my experience, I feel it's acceptable to follow rugby because it's a physical game and you've got to be tough as old boots to play it. I think that's the reasoning for most people, but then they'd turn around and tell you they love cricket.

I agree that it's pathetic when soccer players go down in a heap feigning injury. It's soft and it's disgraceful. It's the ugly side of the game and nobody would be happier than soccer fans if those things didn't happen but unfortunately it's part of the game.

Hear me out here, wherever there's competitive sport, there are cheats. With any football code in the world, if you can win a free-kick doing it, players are going to take advantage of it.

- In soccer when a player gets tapped around the ankles he'll go down. Often when he's not touched at all, he'll still go down. The fact that you can win a free-kick in the game by being kicked on the ankles allows players to easily simulate being kicked. Extremely diffiuclt for the referee to judge if there has been contact. That's cheating.

- In the AFL when a player gets tackled around the chest, he'll fling his head back. In a marking duel, if the player in front realises he's under the flight, he'll throw himself forward to make it seem like he was pushed in the back. That's cheating too.

Ice-hockey, basketball, water-polo; it doesn't matter which sport, athletes con referees.

Brilliant post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

lets have a look:

soccer:
tradition...check

football:

could have sworn the world cup was last year :roll:

Tradition?? roos relocation? it will happen very soon.
the expansion to the national game? what happened to the VFL?

i would never miss an afl game for a soccer game (especially not an A-league game, the standard is disgusting), however if you fail to see the obvious excitement in a soccer game i feel you are missing out. I don't expect you to like it or embrace it, but don't criticise others for enjoying it.

granted soccer players do kick backwards on occassion, but it does eventually set up an attack, football teams do it to waste time.

all of that aside, this is a saints forum, i support the saints, and as a sports fan aussie rules will always be my favourite sport.
Tradition surely you jest. Change away tops every year. When the AFL do it there is a huge stink. Players leave clubs in the middle of the year. Players leave clubs all the time. In AFL hardly any great players leave their club.

Kicking backwards is done many more times than AFL and it doesnt setting up goals because there isnt any.

Excitement. This is the one that really gets me. If people come back home after watching soccer the first thing they say is wasnt the crowd great tonight not the game. Soccer does have a great crowd but I would rather a great game myself.

I will give you rule changes but most that occur in the AFL do eventually improve the game but I do wish there was less.

Sam23
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:Do me a favour mate. In case you hadn't noticed, there's a 20-page thread floating around that has even less relevance to footy. The title of this thread is related to footy as are a couple of posts which is more than I can say for the other one.

I knew the original post was directed to evertonfc so I attempted a bit of humour knowing he would understand.

It was never about soccer until sam the new-fan decided to prove to us that he now has the ability to look up Premier League results. He initiated some banter which, naturally, I returned in kind. He's only just discovered the game so, in all his excitement, he got a little carried away. I apologise on his behalf.

You realise now that there's evil soccer talk in here, so in future it shouldn't be difficult for you to avoid clicking on the link that brought you here. It's really quite simple.
I can get proof of being the 3 EPL games in in 2004 if you'd like?

As well as being a soccer fan since 2002.

But yeh, welldone..dirty dirty Spurs are shithouse so call me a glory hunter :)

Even sonof66, who is one of the faces of the MW would be able to confirm my love of soccer as we have often talked about it on the wing before the games for as long as i can remember.

Really mate, get real....

How Darren Bent going? Must cry yourself to see that you payed that much for him, and he has done absolutely nothing, poor Spurs...can't do anything right.

Goddard.
Sam23
SS Life Member

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=35292

Also another thread that as posted prior to the EPL season this season with me posting

"I'm an Arsenal Man in the Off-season though"

get real OLB.

Goddard.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Nobody applauds evertons stance quite like everton. :lol:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Wonderful post.

Bottom line in my house: if groups of overpaid men wearing tops with numbers on them are chasing balls, kicking balls, hitting balls, heading balls, punching balls etc. we (me and 7yo, 5yo and 2yo) will be on the couch watching so we can emulate them next time at the park..

But it's pretty much only St. Kilda (plus the odd underdog & the socceroos from a bandwagoning perspective) that gets one of us REALLY overworked emotionally. I've got coping mechanisms for the other sports.

Sam23
SS Life Member

There is plenty that is wrong with that.

Goddard.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Rather be a Yid than an Arse... :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Nobody applauds evertons stance quite like everton. :lol:
What an odd post. Care to elaborate, satchmo?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=35292

Also another thread that as posted prior to the EPL season this season with me posting

get real OLB.
So you've gone out of your way to prove to me that you've been a fan since September 1st 2007? Lovely work, sunshine! *patting sam the new fan on the head*

An Arsenal man in the off-season, so when the footy starts you cease to be an Arsenal supporter? Scum's just there to fill in the boredom between footy seasons, quelle surprise!

Now I know you're a glory-hunting, new fan. *sigh*

I think Man Utd will win the league this season, you should start supporting them. It's not too late for you. :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Aww, have a sook why don't ya!?

I'll make you a deal stinger, if you can somehow manage to change my sig for me, I promise to not put up another Spurs related picture on this forum again.

However, seeing as I was the bloke who taught you how to cut and paste only last year, I'm guessing you'll be there for a while. :D
didn't realise that....but give me a refresher course and i will see what i can do........

i'm unrepentant though...soccer is a crap game....bores the tits off me....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sam23
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:
Sam23 wrote:http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=35292

get real OLB.
So you've gone out of your way to prove to me that you've been a fan since September 1st 2007? Lovely work, sunshine! *patting sam the new fan on the head*

An Arsenal man in the off-season, so when the footy starts you cease to be an Arsenal supporter? Scum's just there to fill in the boredom between footy seasons, quelle surprise!

Now I know you're a glory-hunting, new fan. *sigh*

I think Man Utd will win the league this season, you should start supporting them. It's not too late for you. :wink:
send sonof66 a pm or not?

Goddard.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I think Man Utd will win the league this season, you should start supporting them. It's not too late for you. :wink: