gt welcomed back into fold/herald sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gt welcomed back into fold/herald sun

JON RALPH
Herald Sun

THE new St Kilda board has called an end to the cold war between the Saints and Grant Thomas, welcoming back the former coach as well as ex-president Rod Butterss.

Thomas has had a frosty relationship with the club after being fired last year, notably not being invited to Robert Harvey's testimonial this season.

While former friends Thomas and Butterss are still warring over a disputed loan, new board member Nathan Burke said the time for recriminations was over.

Burke said the former coach and Butterss, who recently stood down for new president Greg Westaway, should return to the fold.

``You can't afford to burn those type of people, good StKilda people,'' he said.

``You would love to see (Thomas) back at the club, probably not in an official capacity, but able to turn up to president's dinners and to best-and-fairests, and anything we have. It is something that should definitely happen.

``There has been a lot of conjecture that Grant was behind the (Footy First) push. To be honest he hasn't had anything to do with it.

``But as far as I am concerned, he is the second-longest serving coach at the club, and I know his heart is still with St Kilda.''

He said he hoped Butterss would be happy to return.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 28 Oct 2007 12:37pm, edited 5 times in total.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

No one told me that Grant Thomas and Rod Butterss had passed away!! :shock:

RIP GT and Rod ... now you can fight for control of that big footy club up in the sky ... :(

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT welcomed back into fold

wonder if they'll take up the offer?

sincerely hope so because both were great contributors to the club.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 28 Oct 2007 2:00am, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

GT may return to collect a cheque

RB to get it off GT

RB still owed a heap though

:? :? :?

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

feels like a united club again.

:D

i don't care what they think of each other or who did what to whom.

the good thing is that both are welcome to be part of the club again. as burkey said, both are good st kilda people.

it's onwards and upwards. here come the saints, 2008

mischa
Club Player

Good :)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:feels like a united club again.

:D

i don't care what they think of each other or who did what to whom.

the good thing is that both are welcome to be part of the club again. as burkey said, both are good st kilda people.

it's onwards and upwards. here come the saints, 2008
Isn't it funny - when an ex-president or coach moves on, usually that's it (although with Sheldon and Jeans, maybe we're an exception :P). But we all know deep down that GT & Rod have St Kilda in their veins...and they are such intelligent people that it would be wrong to cut them out of the mix forever.

I'm guessing both will lay low in 2008 after a tough 2007, and give the new guys a chance to imprint themselves, but after that, I'd love to see them both help out in ways that would help keep them connected to the club.

Nothing official, just to see them contribute their experience where they can would be great.

Both are good St Kilda people and both have something to offer. When the time and circumstances are right, it would be nice to have them pulling with us for the long term.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Nothing official, just to see them contribute their experience where they can would be great.
i agree with you everton

gt played a big role in developing the youthful core of our list and, to be perfectly honest, they seemed a little lost without his guidance in 2007.

it puzzles me why people still seem so threatened by his influence in the club and among the players ... after all what gt wants is what we all want ... a successful st kilda.

for that matter so does rb

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Both are good St Kilda people and both have something to offer. When the time and circumstances are right, it would be nice to have them pulling with us for the long term.
Too true, we should be smart enough to utilise them if it benefits the Club.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Forget the past. Embrace the future.

Stuff Thomas and Butterss. They failed. I don't give a F*** about either of them.

They can both get lost somewhere in the Sahara for all I care.

Both irrelevant now.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Forget the past. Embrace the future.

i agree with you on your first comment.

its just that most other clubs, when the president moves on or the coaches, that they are welcome in to the club. maybe not straight away. . why shouldn't have thomas come to the testimonial or the ex president come to next years B&F..

its time to drop fueds.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Here's more of the article:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
"We would love to welcome him back to president's functions, just as we did when Rod took over from Andrew Plympton," Burke said.

"After a while Andrew was coming along and giving speeches for 'Harvs' and things like that.

"We anticipate the same for Rod as a past president, to be given the respect to do that sort of thing."

St Kilda is close to announcing a new major sponsor, after Bill Express decided last month not to extend its deal.

Burke said the club was speaking to several companies and was optimistic of announcing a new deal in coming weeks.

The club is well down the track with the companies, and negotiating the small details on signage and hospitality issues.

"The companies we are speaking to have hinted they want to be long-term sponsors, which is good," Burke said.

"I don't know whether you get good value if you stay for one or two years then go. The ideal ones are when you build relationships and partnerships for years into the future."

Meanwhile, Burke has tendered his resignation to the AFL's match review panel after taking up an official position with the Saints.

The AFL is now looking for replacements on the match review panel and the laws of the game committee, after the mid-season resignation of Nathan Buckley.

Also a small piece by Craig Hutchinson on the back of The Age, saying that Kosi will be playing up forward in 2008, and that the club were very confident with Michael Gardiner's fitness for next season.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Have I missed the announcement where GT has dropped his legal case against the Club?

Maybe his case has merit and the Club have decided to pay him the money?

If neither of those scenarios have occured, then why would you be publicly welcoming back someone who is suing you?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Have I missed the announcement where GT has dropped his legal case against the Club?

If neither of those scenarios have occured, then why would you be publicly welcoming back someone who is suing you?
good question. i'd like to know the answer.

perhaps it was more gt versus butterss than gt versus the saints.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Have I missed the announcement where GT has dropped his legal case against the Club?

good question. i'd like to know the answer.

perhaps it was more gt versus butterss than gt versus the saints.
If that was the case then why sue the Club?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:If that was the case then why sue the Club?
is he still sueing the club? maybe it's been settled.

as i said, it's a good question. i don't know the answer.

but it's good, imo, that he's welcome back.

an important step by the new board in attempting to re-unify the club

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

does anyone know the status of gt's action against the club?