?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: One other reason is he wouldnt take it.
Has anyone asked him?
Does anyone deserve it more?
Has anyone earned it as much?

The honour was taken from him by a coach (whom I fully supported); playing his own (think outside the square) agenda.

It's my opinion that the Captaincy must be earned.
It should go to the best, most experienced player.
Banger is a standout, as he exemplifies everthing we hope every Saints player to be.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote: One other reason is he wouldnt take it.
Has anyone asked him?
Does anyone deserve it more?
Has anyone earned it as much?

The honour was taken from him by a coach (whom I fully supported); playing his own (think outside the square) agenda.

It's my opinion that the Captaincy must be earned.
It should go to the best, most experienced player.
Banger is a standout, as he exemplifies everthing we hope every Saints player to be.
I would think it should go to the best leader not the best player but if you want it to go the best player the Roo and Lenny should lead the club. Look at the Cats this year who led them. Their best leader not Ablett or Bartel.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Hes not the face of the club anymore, and hes not a natural leader. His claims are no different.

Yes im sure he would have liked to keep the Captaincy, but now is not the time for sentimentals, now is the time for winning premierships.

Banger would be up there on the podium anyway.

We should let him get on with doing what he does best - astonishing us all.

supersaints
Club Player

King for captain... your on drugs !
I think we should give the captaincy to our worst player, cause we always end up with the captains curse... speaking of which King was a pretty poor captain always injured and seldom on the field.. If he was that good a captain and player Geelong would not have dumped him
Seriously, If you heard Roo's speech at the B&F Ill guarantee you he is appointed captain... hands down

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:IMO I think Rooey showed that he wants the title full time, and that he deserves it. This bloke puts his body and soul on the line week in and week out. Hes 24 / 25. Hes a natural leader now who has grown into the position. Captain Riewoldt, Vice Captain Hayes.

hear hear

The Peanut
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:We forget these kids are just kids. Turn the clock back a few years - only respected mature players were made captain. These days it's handed out like a school award - and watered down into 3 awards. These are not captains, they are the teachers pets. The argument that some players will leave if not made Captain... well that's obvious - nick off. If we want to win flags, we need the right ppl in the right places, not worry about players egos.

I agree that Lenny or Roo are mature enough for the job - however Frazer, Hamill, Max... these are leadership / captain material... Luke Ball is still a kid.

The message it would send to the players is ... St.Kilda will no longer reward teachers pets and will endevour to find the best person for the job, if that happens to be King... then so be it. 2 years of a King capt, would allow the kids to develop further.

Hird, M Voss, N Buckley, Tredrea, Ruccuto, Lockett, King - These are real Captains.

So who should we pick... Gilbert?
A Captain must be strongly respected by the players, supporters and the club - King hasn't even met all the boys yet. The players had a vote last year and I'm not sure but there was probably some input by the coach, and footy dept as well because Rossy was so new then. I know that Lenny would love the job because I heard his say it with my very own ears, but for the work that Roo has put into the club over the years, his personal development and the 'Leadership Plus' message he gave the team, the club and even the board at the B&F, you could knock me over with a feather if he doesn't get it. I would love to see Lenny as deputy but last years three will do me if it gets too problematic now that the three Captains has been put in place. I wouldn't even mind Bally getting it, but can't see him gettiog over the other two - his bad luck with injuries has vertually cricified his chances in the short term IMHO.

King aint no Chris Judd and St Kilda aint Carlton.
Last edited by The Peanut on Mon 15 Oct 2007 8:08pm, edited 2 times in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

oh my friggin LORD? Captain? You have to be on hard core drugs. No one just walks into a tightknit group (like the saints) with a couple of years left in his career and is made captain , ny god! Nothing wrong with Lenny, Ball, Roo, either or all of em.

This along with some single cell humans suggestion of looking at lance are the lamest things I have ever read here.