Who is your choice to take Gehrig's place?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who is your choice to take Gehrig's place?

Now with Watts and Brooks gone, who is your choice for the Full Forward spot, if not Kosi?
I for one cant see past Kosi for Full Forward.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

If we can get King and Gardiner as our consistent number 1 and 2 rucks definitely Kosi for mine.

Any chance they might go for a ready-made player in the pre-season or National Draft?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

1st Choice: Koschitzke
2nd Choice: Allen
3rd Choice: Goddard
4th Choice: Gilbert

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:If we can get King and Gardiner as our consistent number 1 and 2 rucks definitely Kosi for mine.

Any chance they might go for a ready-made player in the pre-season or National Draft?

Only people that would be remotely ready are and available to us in the pre-season are... Whitnal and Kingsley

Which I hope we don't touch with a ten foot pole.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 14 Oct 2007 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

claystreet
Club Player

Kosi

8-)

carn_sainter
Club Player

the full forward no longer exists

the forward 6 doesn't even exist

kosi and roo are our best forwards, so you would say they would receive a lot of our ball carriers' attention...

but the thing you need more than a full forward such as kosi is plenty of options

i'm excited about milne/schneider/x/midfielders all being good options for the ball...i'm excited about the variety in options we'll see

i'm excited about charlie gardiner, who i have some inflated optimism for without any real good reason

if you asked me for 6 names to start between our goal line and the centre square for the start of a match, i would say
kosi
roo
schneider
x
milne
goddard

but then obviously all that changes...i like fizz on the centre square, for example...i like goddard on half back too, so maybe raph goes forward, or dal on a HFF, montagna kicks goals, chaz gardiner...heck, throw in a resting king in the goal square for a little bit...gilbert could lead up into the midfield...

as long as we have fast, clean ball movement, we have plenty of firepower, regardless of where they start

but there is a romanticism about kosi and roo lined up down the centre of the ground...as i said, these are our best forwards...

Statsman
Club Player

If Brooks and Watts have been delisted, Kosi is now our only realistic option at full forward.

It would be a big ask for Allen to debut as our primary target up forward. So to for Goddard to play that role coming off a knee reconstruction. Gilbert would be quick on the lead, but lacks the body strength to be a contested marking target. Charlie Gardiner would be in a similar position to Gilbert and better suited as the 3rd tall.

Obviously Riewoldt can play full forward, but then we're left looking for a centre half forward instead. That's just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The retirement of Gehrig and apparent delisting of Brooks and Watts has left us terribly thin at full forward. As a by-product, there is now even more pressure on our ruck division to stand up as we can no longer afford to play Kosi in the ruck. Gardiner, King, Rix and Van Rheenan will have to carry the ruck duties because we deparately need Kosi camped inside 50 to give us somebody to kick to.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
spert
Saintsational Legend

Groom Goddard as FF

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:If we can get King and Gardiner as our consistent number 1 and 2 rucks definitely Kosi for mine.

Only people that would be remotely ready are and available to us in the pre-season are... Whitnal and Kingsley

Which I hope we don't touch with a ten foot pole.
Well Ian Perrie is available but I wouldn't draft him either.

If Gardiner and King stand up this frees up Kosi (and Roo, and Gardiner and King) to rotate through the FF position.

Sounds pretty good on paper, especially with Schneider and Milne forward, and depth players like Gardiner (the Charlie variety) who can push up forward.

However what we need is more goals from our midfield, this takes pressure off the FF position and the big targets up forward.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

kosi...strong hands and can lead pretty well..him and roo as a combination of tall forwards will be great if the delivery is half good to them

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I cant believe you actually said that out loud....

lol

Kosi.

If we actually get a ruckman on the field.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

1st: J. Koschitzke
2nd: N. Riewoldt
3rd: M. Gardiner
4th: J. Allen
5th: C. Gardiner

ben_fff
Club Player

My choice would be Roo deep and Kosi at CHF, only problem is we'd have to restructure our game plan.

I'm keen on Kosi at ff as well. Although it was sad with Gehrigs retirement it excites me that it gives a guy like Kosi to show how talented and devastating he can be.

kalsaint
Club Player

ben_fff wrote:My choice would be Roo deep and Kosi at CHF, only problem is we'd have to restructure our game plan.

I'm keen on Kosi at ff as well. Although it was sad with Gehrigs retirement it excites me that it gives a guy like Kosi to show how talented and devastating he can be.
My thoughts are Kosi at FF and Roo at CHF away from goal.

Roo doesn't lead properly in my opinion from near the goal, Kosi does this far better. Roo commands that the midfield kick to pockets to often and this makes the midfield delivery slow at times. Kosi doesn't have Roo's engine and direct speed so Roo is better suited at CHF.

Keep a resting ruckman down forward with either Charlie Gardiner and/or Goddard as they both have reasonable marking skills and tend to lead well. There will be plenty of variety then. If midfield delivery gets poor move Goddard to the midfielder for improvement here and potentail for long 6 point bombs.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
nicko016
Club Player

Simply Koschitzke. I'd like to see Goddard play as a high HF rotating through HF and the midfield. Hopefully Charlie Gardiner can develop into the 3rd tall as he will be giving a few chances initially as seems to happen with all new players. With Schnieder and Milne as our small forwards we should have a good forward line that should have a few more avenues than this season.

ben_fff
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
ben_fff wrote:My choice would be Roo deep and Kosi at CHF, only problem is we'd have to restructure our game plan.

My thoughts are Kosi at FF and Roo at CHF away from goal.

Roo doesn't lead properly in my opinion from near the goal, Kosi does this far better. Roo commands that the midfield kick to pockets to often and this makes the midfield delivery slow at times. Kosi doesn't have Roo's engine and direct speed so Roo is better suited at CHF.

Keep a resting ruckman down forward with either Charlie Gardiner and/or Goddard as they both have reasonable marking skills and tend to lead well. There will be plenty of variety then. If midfield delivery gets poor move Goddard to the midfielder for improvement here and potentail for long 6 point bombs.
I like this set up.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Kosi and end thread.

If kosi is required to ruck then Allen.

Carpe Diem
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:1st: J. Koschitzke

M Gardiner.....Obviously not a fan of watching Grand Finals.....

Like most suggestions on this thread...it cements the stupidity of delisting both Watts and Brooks.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
LTN16 wrote:1st: J. Koschitzke

M Gardiner.....Obviously not a fan of watching Grand Finals.....

Like most suggestions on this thread...it cements the stupidity of delisting both Watts and Brooks.
one good game doesnt make a player just like one bad game doesnt destroy one
gardi was (dont know how he will go now been awile since anyone has seen him play) a fairly decent forward could kick a great long goal and could take a good mark
he wasnt fit for that G/F and he was prob over come by it all (not the first to stumbel in thier first GF)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosi

no doubt riewoldt would also make a very good full forward but his greatest strength is his endurance so why use him in the most static position on the ground?

kosi just gives the forward line something it has lacked. the ability to take strong contested pack marks.

so the player streaming forward has at least three options.

1. kick a goal himself.

2: pass to leading riewoldt.

3: long bomb to kosi and the crumbers.

rather than just (2: pass to leading riewoldt) as has been the case all too often in the past.

my forward line atm looks like this:

c: gram, hayes, gilbert
hf: goddard, riewoldt, dal santo
f: milne, kosi, schneider/m. gardiner.

and if it's not working on a particular day you can swap them around. kosi to chf, bj hff, roo ff or even roo chf, kosi fp, bj ff.

plenty of flexibility there and plenty of guys there who can put a score on the board.

the ability to convert opportunities to scores is what separates good teams from also-rans.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 14 Oct 2007 5:23pm, edited 3 times in total.

luckysaint
Club Player

I thought i heard something about J.Allen having big wraps??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:I thought i heard something about J.Allen having big wraps??
don't know much about him. what type is he?

saintsrule
Club Player

definetly kosi 8-)

luckysaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
luckysaint wrote:I thought i heard something about J.Allen having big wraps??
don't know much about him. what type is he?
Picked up in last years draft. Was U18 All Australian FF (i think). Has put on alot of weight this season and has height. Good below the knees and is reasonably quick. Broke his arm this year while playing for Casey, but apart from that showed himself to be a really promising and handy player.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

My old boss at work has known him since he was a little kid & has followed his progression. Can play comfortably at both ends of the ground & is a good strong overhead mark.

Dislocated elbow with complications caused some problems during this season, but he went on to play some solid footy toward the end of the season. Expect him to really step up next season.