Casey still keen on the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I am with you I stuggle for a reason to go there. To far away from where most of the players live. No where near we we play our home games. Yes you are right no reason at all to go there.
No need for sarcasm

In terms of travel; for players on upwards of 60-70k i think they can suck it up

In terms of too far away for home games... we can't all be in the city... Moorabbin alone is a good 40min drive
The players need to be where they can go home between sessions as they usually have 2 a day. What player wants to line near Cranbourne. It just will not happen.
exactly.

and if you really piss them off big time on this they wont stick together like they have on under market rates salarys (I'm talking our big guns) and piss off to other teams for more money!

Sure Rooey, Kosi, Dal, Bally etc etc wont be players for ever, but if we move to Cranny as our training base it will be the least desireable location (training base wise), of any Melbourne based club.

You can't convince me that an AFL player out of choice would want to buy or rent down there??? (Ok, Febola is an exception, but he's a fruit loop).

Remember, the pre-season lasts for about 4.5 months (taking off 6 weeks annual leave and 2 weeks over Xmas), so it's a fair wack of extra travelling during that intense training period.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

My 2 cents worth...

The further we move away from our roots, Moorabbin & St Kilda, the more chance we will become the St Kilda version of the Western Bulldogs or The Kangaroos. There will be a push for us to drop St Kilda from our name and we'll become the South Eastern Saints. This smacks of some nomadic attempt of a 'professional' basketball team to find a home, no thanks.

Our home is south of the city, the closer to it the better. Decisions made in the past, I believe, have consigned us to this. Waverley is no more, we came in from the cold.

The Nepean Highway is our tenuous link with St Kilda and Moorabbin and the Junction Oval our spiritual homes. We need to make this Moorabbin deal work. If not, involve the Government, the AFL and a local council in St Kilda or Port Melbourne to take ownership of a state of the Art facility. Collingwoods done it, Carlton and Melbourne are doing it, so why are we drifting further away from home?

If we want to capitalise on growth areas, we need to actively campaign in those areas with supporters groups plus invest in a couple of pokie ridden Hotels.

Certainly nothing against Casey but to me it doesn't feel right.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I think what some people don't understand is that our supporter base has been moving. I have followed the Saints all my life and have lived in many parts of Melbourne. I now live on the Mornington Peninsula where it seems about 1 in 5 people support the Saints. I have never met so many supporters in my life (apart from games) or seen so many car stickers etc. Casey and the south east are the same. It's what Reservoir/Thomastown is to Collingwood.

While I'm not sold on moving to Cranbourne, it is moving with many of our supporters. It could also be opening up a home zone in much the same way as the move to Moorabbin created a new supporter base in the 60's. Many of the children of the southern suburbs Saints are now moving out to Casey and the Peninsula.

I would hope the club would start to recognise this fan base, even if we stay at Moorabbin. Brian Waldron quoted some amazing Auskick figures a few years back of kids in this area designating St Kilda as their club, something like 1 in 4.

The Craw
Club Player

I live in the west approx 10Km out from the city and work in Fitzroy. It takes me anywhere up to 45min to get to work where as to travel out to Cranbourne would take be probabley an extra 10 min.

Morrabbin is a Sh!thole. The sooner the board realise this the better. There is no spiritualness about it at all.

The council don't want the saints there, the people around the ground don't want the saints there and Morrabbin as a whole has nothing to offer.

Casey is a developing region, bigger than Geelong. New families and immigrants are settling out there. It has huge industrial areas for the Saints to tap into and besides all of that, it will have the most up up to date, state of the facilities in Australia. It has also offeredto build a boutique staidum to facilitate home games that cold be used for games against interstate teams.

Just because it may be a little to far for some of you to travel, it is no good.

It will just around the corner for a couple 100000.

The decision is a no brainer.

Must go out to Casey.

Not Craw, CRAW!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:I live in the west approx 10Km out from the city and work in Fitzroy. It takes me anywhere up to 45min to get to work where as to travel out to Cranbourne would take be probabley an extra 10 min.

Morrabbin is a Sh!thole. The sooner the board realise this the better. There is no spiritualness about it at all.

The council don't want the saints there, the people around the ground don't want the saints there and Morrabbin as a whole has nothing to offer.

Casey is a developing region, bigger than Geelong. New families and immigrants are settling out there. It has huge industrial areas for the Saints to tap into and besides all of that, it will have the most up up to date, state of the facilities in Australia. It has also offeredto build a boutique staidum to facilitate home games that cold be used for games against interstate teams.

Just because it may be a little to far for some of you to travel, it is no good.

It will just around the corner for a couple 100000.

The decision is a no brainer.

Must go out to Casey.

We play at TD why does training at Casey help with support. How many people attend training 100 or less. It isnt like the old days when you played and trained at the same ground so people in the area supported you. Why these days would you support a club because they train 5km from your home. You wouldnt you would support them because they are a good side have exciting players and play an exciting game plan.

Finally and the most important is that the side have 2 sessions a day so they need to be close to home so the can get home between sessions otherwise they have to hang around the club and the players may be sick of that after a while and I dounbt most a players will want to move in the Cranbourne area.