Casey still keen on the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

casey scorp
Club Player

Casey still keen on the Saints

The City of Casey is still keen to have the Saints at Casey Fields according to yesterday's (Friday's) Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 72,00.html

I'm looking forward to the new Board getting its teeth into the issue, (and hopefully supporting the Casey Fields option). It was one of the issues which Greg Westaway said was a priority to address.

Article:

Casey still keen on Saints
12 October 2007 Herald Sun
Daryl Timms

CASEY Council has not given up hope of convincing St Kilda to relocate to its multi-million-dollar sporting complex, Casey Fields, at Cranbourne North.

The Saints are yet to commit to staying at Moorabbin, although president-elect Greg Westaway has indicated the club's desire to stay.

A move to Frankston is also being discussed, while other venues under consideration include the Junction Oval and Port Melbourne's TEAC Oval.

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser said yesterday he had briefed Westaway on Moorabbin.

With most of the Rod Butterss-led board resigning, Fraser said the club had only two serving directors: John Gdanski and Ross Levin.

"The others have got to be sworn in," Fraser said.

"We have a board meeting later this month, but I should be able to update them all by then.

"We have only two guys in an official capacity at the moment and while I can update the others, we can't make any decisions."

St Kilda said in May it would seek another base after a dispute with Kingston Council over the redevelopment of Moorabbin.

Fraser said he had had more talks with Kingston Council, which wants the club to remain at Moorabbin, where it has a 32-year lease.

"And we are very much in conversation with Casey and Frankston," Fraser said. "They would be the main ones we have focused on.

"There is a precinct where Frankston footy club is and the council owns quite a big area there. It's a good precinct."

Fraser said both the Butterss and Westaway groups had said their preferred position was to remain at Moorabbin.

But the Westaway board will be urged to make a business decision on where the Saints should be based.

The club is aware most of its players would be unhappy if it moved to Cranbourne or Frankston.

Casey Council chief executive Mike Tyler said yesterday there had been no talks with St Kilda in recent weeks.

"But I would anticipate that some time soon there will be some liaison," Tyler said.

"I think the new board will look diligently at the issues of Moorabbin and the options at other locations, but we would be reasonably confident that Casey Fields is an attractive option.

"Whether it's the one they choose is another thing, and I wouldn't want to say I'm confident it would happen."

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

OWTS - can we get another poll happening on this...

Call it "prefered other venue than Moorabbin"

Choices: Cranny, Frangga, Junction, Port

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i struggle to think of a reason not to go there...

best facilities
best for membership

seems like a winner

casey scorp
Club Player

skeptic wrote:best facilities
best for membership
add...

* a welcoming Council (City of Casey)
* home of our aligned team (which we are getting more integrated with next year anyway it appears)
* a $37 million aquatic and leisure centre being built a few hundred metres away at the moment
* sports courts available for indoor training drills just up the road

and maybe I'll be able to think of a few more

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

* a long long long way away

maybe they could do a training session at TD each week for those of us from the west of the state :(

and felt for the SA saints fan and young son who had to walk from the station for the final casey played.

are they fixing public transport?
I did hear they run buses to the Races from the station can that be done for matches?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: maybe they could do a training session at TD each week for those of us from the west of the state :(
How many turn up to 'regular' training runs? Less than the amount of players on our list, i'd guess.

It's all about commute and travel time for our players. Who here would be happy with your boss saying "well, we're moving from this office into a brand new one - It's going to be great, you get a bigger office, swishier chair, and better cooling. The only catch is that you'll have an extra hour of commute each way.

For those who care for distances and minutes.

Whereis.com directions say it's 37km and 36min in ideal traffic.

casey scorp
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:* a long long long way away
Have you heard of Arsenal FC……a team which plays in the English Premier League?

They were formed in 1886 in s/e London, but in 1913 moved to Highbury Stadium in North London. In 1961 they moved their training base to the University College of London, but continued to play matches at Highbury. In 2006 they moved matches to Emirates Stadium.

Sound sort of familiar?

Training has now moved to Hertfordshire. Interestingly the new training complex is located 45 minutes drive from Emirates Stadium, accessed via a freeway, and is located in a semi-rural area.

Sounding similarly possible?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Sounding similarly possible?
Does Casey Fields have a Heliport?

casey scorp
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
casey scorp wrote:Sounding similarly possible?
Does Casey Fields have a Heliport?
Do you want it to?

casey scorp
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:and felt for the SA saints fan and young son who had to walk from the station for the final casey played.

are they fixing public transport?
I did hear they run buses to the Races from the station can that be done for matches?
The unfortunate SA fans must have been just about run over by the bus which leaves the Cranbourne station after the arrival of every train and takes passengers to Cranbourne East (not quite to Casey Fields yet, but no doubt it will extend its route as additional development takes place).

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

my only concern is how easy it would be to access via public transport.

would love to stay at moorabbin but if a move is essential then from a personal point of view id want to go to a place that is easy for me to get to.

not sure if a train goes to port melb?
know a train goes to frankston, a fair few stops further than moorabbin
casey? i know trains go down to that area somewhere

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

transport would appear to be case of knowing the area

if in the event of the saints training there- and with casey continuing to be the Saints feeder team then some publishing of transport availablity would be of advantage.
and or specific shuttles from the station to the sporting area.staff on the stations, familair with transfer points etc.

like travelling to any other major city or town- the more you know the better your chances.- knowing where the train stops and what alternatives are.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
casey scorp
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:transport would appear to be case of knowing the area

if in the event of the saints training there- and with casey continuing to be the Saints feeder team then some publishing of transport availablity would be of advantage.
and or specific shuttles from the station to the sporting area.staff on the stations, familair with transfer points etc.

like travelling to any other major city or town- the more you know the better your chances.- knowing where the train stops and what alternatives are.
Fair comment. Although I haven't used the bus service I know that the bus interchange is next to the station pedestrian exit, but I don't know how well signed the bus route availability is. Probably the locals know about it, but it mightn't be too apparent for visitors.

The bus service is probably the best in Victoria - it meets every train arriving at Cranbourne station from around 5am in the morning to 1am the next morning. It was a replacement for an undelivered (I dare not say "broken") 1999 election promise to extend the metropolitan railway service to Cranbourne East and build a new station there.

benengel14
Club Player

Its nice to see our brand/club welcomed by another institution in contrast to major sponsors and Kingston city council.

They're getting close to Mayor Quimby when he welcomed the filming of "Radioactive Man" in the City of Springfield.

"We'll blow up our dams, destroy forests, anything! If there's a species of animal that's causing problems nosing around your camera, we'll have it wiped out!"
Very funny quote. :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i struggle to think of a reason not to go there...

best facilities
best for membership

seems like a winner
I am with you I stuggle for a reason to go there. To far away from where most of the players live. No where near we we play our home games. Yes you are right no reason at all to go there.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

casey scorp wrote:Although I haven't used the bus service I know that the bus interchange is next to the station pedestrian exit, but I don't know how well signed the bus route availability is.

The bus service is probably the best in Victoria
How would you know it's the best if you haven't used it ?????

rexy
SS Life Member

37 minutes in ideal traffic is probably a little outdated IMO. I work in Cranbourne and can get from the city to Cranny in about 40.
Not as far away as many beleive, besides the players probably only train on the ground twice a week so not necessarily all training would be done out there any way.

I would prefer we stay at Moorabin but the city of Casey will be fine if we cant do a deal I think.

Maybe this year?
Washedup
Club Player

But the Westaway board will be urged to make a business decision on where the Saints should be based.

The club is aware most of its players would be unhappy if it moved to Cranbourne or Frankston.
That is enough in itself to say NO to both options

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I am with you I stuggle for a reason to go there. To far away from where most of the players live. No where near we we play our home games. Yes you are right no reason at all to go there.
No need for sarcasm

In terms of travel; for players on upwards of 60-70k i think they can suck it up

In terms of too far away for home games... we can't all be in the city... Moorabbin alone is a good 40min drive

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote: That is enough in itself to say NO to both options
if it equates to more members and better training facilities i don't see that we have an option

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

IM comfortable with the training base at Casey if it deleivers top-flight facilities to the players, but I dont think its a great idea to base our Social facilities there too.

Yeah its a growth centre etc etc etc, but the fact is that Saints fans live all over Melbourne and you cant afford to geographically alienate 80% of them by expecting them to hike down to Cranbourne to watch interstate games at a Club Social facility or to help out the Club by having a meal once a week

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
casey scorp
Club Player

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
casey scorp wrote:Although I haven't used the bus service I know that the bus interchange is next to the station pedestrian exit, but I don't know how well signed the bus route availability is.

The bus service is probably the best in Victoria
How would you know it's the best if you haven't used it ?????
Because of its service level. It meets every train arriving at the Cranbourne station, and runs from before 5am in the morning until after 1am the next morning.

casey scorp
Club Player

saint66au wrote:IM comfortable with the training base at Casey if it deleivers top-flight facilities to the players, but I dont think its a great idea to base our Social facilities there too.

Yeah its a growth centre etc etc etc, but the fact is that Saints fans live all over Melbourne and you cant afford to geographically alienate 80% of them by expecting them to hike down to Cranbourne to watch interstate games at a Club Social facility or to help out the Club by having a meal once a week
The proposal under consideration at Casey Fields doesn't include a social club - the plans were in the Age and on the Real Footy website in June:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/c ... 29989.html

The plan on the real footy website shows the ground floor of the proposal. While the upstairs level isn't on the website, it was in the Age and it had a gym, boardroom and office. Bear in mind these are old plans, but the point is it doesn't include a social club.

The social facilities don't have to be where the players train - they have to be convenient for supporters. A lot of clubs are establishing social facilities in various suburbs, and St Kilda can do the same.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No need for sarcasm

In terms of travel; for players on upwards of 60-70k i think they can suck it up

In terms of too far away for home games... we can't all be in the city... Moorabbin alone is a good 40min drive
The players need to be where they can go home between sessions as they usually have 2 a day. What player wants to line near Cranbourne. It just will not happen.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: we can't all be in the city... Moorabbin alone is a good 40min drive
do you drive a scooter champ?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best