Playfair V Gardiner (Charlie)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Playfair V Gardiner (Charlie)

I always rated these guys as very similar players.

The Swans gave up pick 44 for Henry, we gave nothing for Chuck!

Anyone who knows more about them than me care to elaborate on the two?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Playfair V Gardiner (Charlie)

Joffa Burns wrote:I always rated these guys as very similar players.

The Swans gave up pick 44 for Henry, we gave nothing for Chuck!

Anyone who knows more about them than me care to elaborate on the two?
I think Henry may be just a bit better. Certainly a better kick and a bit taller. Gardiner prbably moves better. Not much in it though.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Gardiner is better. Henry Playfair is Kepler Bradley's twin brother, these boys have no idea which way their team is going half the time. Gardiner had a better season in the VFL, but yeh both are similar, I'd rather Gardiner than Playfair, only because we have the likes of Watts, Brooks in a similar mould.

Carpe Diem
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Saint Corin wrote:we have the likes of Watts, Brooks in a similar mould.
We do?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Playfair much taller and more of a traditional KPP, whereas Gardiner is more in your Rusling/Ferguson mould.

Gardiner has terrific hands and had a much better year in the VFL in 2007 than Playfair did.
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Sun 14 Oct 2007 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:I always rated these guys as very similar players.
Funny you mentioned that JB, because immediately after hearing the news that we picked Gardiner up I thought back to the bits and pieces I saw of the VFL grand final. I remembered being very impressed with the performance of Gardiner.

Thinking back now, I'm positive it was actually Playfair who impressed me, and not Gardiner. As you said, they are very similar players.

Geelong saw Gardiner as a midfielder but he found the Cats midfield difficult to break into. However I think his natural athleticism would be best suited to a stopping role in our backline and that's where Lyon will attempt to use him imo.

In terms of his delivery he couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo but he has a great leap and he'd be quick to snuff out leads.

A new role may be exactly what he needs to jump start his career. If I were Ross I'd hand him straight over to Silvagni to see what he can do with him.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Gardiner has terrific hands and had a much better year in the VFL in 2007 than Gardiner did."
So which Gardiner are we talking about

The mouldy one or the clean one?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

In terms of his delivery he couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo but he has a great leap and he'd be quick to snuff out leads.

A new role may be exactly what he needs to jump start his career. If I were Ross I'd hand him straight over to Silvagni to see what he can do with him.[/quote]

I think we've recruited him as a forward so hopefully his pre-season is spent with BJ learning how to kick. Whether he does work on his kicking or not I would rather him kicking a point than turning it over across half back when he does get his chance.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I think we've recruited him as a forward so hopefully his pre-season is spent with BJ learning how to kick. Whether he does work on his kicking or not I would rather him kicking a point than turning it over across half back when he does get his chance.
I was having a similar conversation with someone the other day.

A turnover is a turnover, they often result in goals no matter where you are on the ground.

Missing an easy goal is worse than a mistake across half back imo - a goal missed is always a goal lost whereas a mistake across half back often results in a goal lost. Both have a similar debilitating effect on a team's morale.

Every side gets numbers behind the ball so naturally you get a lot more time in defence, as long as you know your limitations you can hit short targets all day - see Luke McPharlin.

It's why when Max misses a shot on goal you often hear a member of the crowd shout, "get back to defence Maxi, for christ's sake!" :)

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner was suggested to the club by his manager (who was finalising the Dempster deal). He adveritised him as a lead-up forward with great endurance which would be handy considering the losses of Gehrig and Hamill.

Ofcourse StKilda then accepted a deal.
When Quinlan met St Kilda football manager Ken Sheldon at an Elwood cafe yesterday morning to finalise the paperwork for Sean Dempster's move to Moorabbin, he raised Gardiner's name again.

His sell to Sheldon focused on how the Saints had lost Fraser Gehrig and Aaron Hamill and could do with a lead-up forward with great endurance such as Gardiner.

"Hang on a minute, that may well be possible," Sheldon said as he made a quick phone call to Saints coach Ross Lyon.

An hour later he rang Quinlan to say the deal was a possibility. Then by midday, Gardiner, who hadn't spoken to anyone at St Kilda, became a Saint, along with Geelong teammate Steven King.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Stats

Charles Gardiner (Geelong) 20games 40goals 10 time named in best. Not too bad for a fringe player...2nd in Geelong VFL B&F also - obviously can play just couldn't get a run in their AFL side 2007....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
wallbanger
Club Player

From speaking to an avid Cats supporter from down here in Geelong, he also decsribes Gardiner as the "lead-up" type forward who might be able to do the hard yards across half forward/centre of the ground, allowing Riewoldt to stay closer to goal and have a bigger impact on the scoreboard.

Personally I think the strength of Roo is his ability to outrun his opponents going forward and then returning back towards the forward 50, so whether that is the plan or not remains to be seen.

Given the loss of Hamill and Gehrig, I tend to think Gardiner could be a handy acquisition, along with Schneider who is exactly the type of player needed. Hopefully those two could make the forward line a bit less predictable, which can only help in the long run.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
kalsaint
Club Player

wallbanger wrote:From speaking to an avid Cats supporter from down here in Geelong, he also decsribes Gardiner as the "lead-up" type forward who might be able to do the hard yards across half forward/centre of the ground, allowing Riewoldt to stay closer to goal and have a bigger impact on the scoreboard.

Personally I think the strength of Roo is his ability to outrun his opponents going forward and then returning back towards the forward 50, so whether that is the plan or not remains to be seen.

Given the loss of Hamill and Gehrig, I tend to think Gardiner could be a handy acquisition, along with Schneider who is exactly the type of player needed. Hopefully those two could make the forward line a bit less predictable, which can only help in the long run.
Yes and No

To often when Roo, Kosi and Fraser were all up forward Roo the skies got crowded and the defence were able to puch to the ground. Kosi and Fraser has a good working relationship and good understanding. Roo was always better further up the ground as he was able to apply better defensive pressure than the other 2 when the ball hit the ground and used his athletic ability better.
Charlie should start forward closer to goal. He has been handy there for Geelong at times (2004 Pre-Season comes to mind).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
StSteven
Club Player

Believe it or not Charlie is a more reliable kick than Playfair. Charlie will be very handy.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Kosi will work from the goalsquare and Roo will retain his role as the roaming CHF (endurance is his chief asset) but will still net 50-odd goals.

Gardiner would slot in nicely as the lead-up midsize forward that we have lacked since Hamill's injury woes forced him off the park.

All those who complain about Kosi and Riewoldt being double/triple teamed seem to forget that a smart, creative, dynamic medium forward like Hamill (or now, Gardiner) commands a decent defender, not some big ape. And if that decent defender is tied up with Gardiner, he won't be double teaming Roo or Kosi.

He has no injury concerns and is actually a required player at the Saints (as opposed to Geelong, where he competed with N Ablett and S Johnson in 2007).

Geelong fans have derided his decision-making ability. With a specific role to play and two massive leading forwards, you would hope he would improve in this area.

A new environment, the support of King (Geelong) and Ball (Sandringham), a specific role, a second chance at AFL footy, and the pain of seeing his Cats teammates play in a premiership side should all combine to allow Gardiner to improve his game.

I see a lot of upside in Charlie Gardiner.

I will conservatively expect 10 goals from Gardiner in 2008. Twenty would be brilliant.

And if not ... who cares? He's free! :D

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra