Recycled Ruckmen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Recycled Ruckmen

With the picking up of King yesterday, we have yet another recycled ruckman. He joins a long list of recent big-men coming from other clubs:

2002:Knobel(BL)
2003:Brooks(PA)
2005:Ackland(PA)
2006:Rix (Haw)
2007:Gardiner(WCE),Clarke(Ade)
2008:King(Geel)

We have tried to find top-up ruckmen for years now and so far all have turned out to be second rate(at best).

Look at the premiership teams of the same timeframe and how they have developed their own home-grown rucks.

01-03 Keating,McDonald,Charman (BL)
04 Brogan, Lade (PA)
05 Ball,Jolly (SYD)
06 Cox,Seaby (WCE)
07 Ottens,King (GEEL)

Whilst Ball, Jolly and Ottens did come from other clubs, they are the exception rather than the rule. I think it is time we invested in developing a young ruckman, a bit like Hamish McIntosh, Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands, Matthew Leuenberger

Cox, McIntosh and Sandilands all started slowly but have developed into quality/elite ruckmen.

I think we should support Van Rheenen or put some time into a pick from this year's draft.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintly
Saintsational Legend

if the saints did not support van reenan then he would not be on the rookie list. so therefore of couse the sdaints are supporting him.

Art Vandelay
Club Player

No doubt, we have had no success with our 'recycled' ruckmen, however one thing to keep in mind is that none of these cost us much, and with King, pick 90 is virtually free. If it doesn't work out then we haven't lost much.
The alternative was to trade pick # 9 for Cameron Wood, which would have been a massive gamble, given that the guy had been at Brisbane for 3 years only to be over taken in the pecking order this year by a first year player. To me, Wood looks like being another Guy Richards.
Our window of opportunity is NOW, not in 3 years time. We cannot afford to wait for a ruckman to develop.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you Art Vandelay in that King was a good move, I am more so criticising our long-term attitude that top-up ruckmen have to be a priority. The trends show that generally clubs don't give away good ruckmen so you've got to get them while they're young.

and i almost forgot Saints superstar Nick Stone (Hawthorn) 2004

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kaos theory
Club Player

Ottens is not a 'home grown' ruckman, they got him from richmond. We are supporting van rheenen, but he is years away from developing.

We had brookes on the list for yrs and he has been a waste of space, time & money.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Van Reenan is a pretty neat package apparently.

He's the future.

Ruckmen are hard to find. GOOD ruckmen that is, and when you do...they usually go in the first five picks in the draft.

One of the most difficult spots to fill.[/code]

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BallBanger
Club Player

Capuano ring any bells?
Unless he is very good, a ruckman should not be a priority to give up early draft picks in the trade!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we needed the top ups but our stuff up is that we haven't attempted to blood any young ruckman in this time... hence its just been one top up after another

spert
Saintsational Legend

King was one of the best in a champion team in the Cat premiership, he beat off the acknowledged strength in Ports' rucks and is a fit, and ready to go proven ruckman -OK by me

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Cook, Monkhurst, Capuano, Knobel, Oliver, Brooks, Stone, Ackland, Rix, Clarke, Gardiner, King.

All useless ruckmen, all from other clubs. To get a top ruckman, you either develop him yourself or you pay big for him.

01-03 Keating,McDonald,Charman (BL)

All home grown. Developed over time and used effectively.

04 Brogan, Lade (PA)

Both extremely late starters, but the club invested a lot of time in them and now make up the second best ruck combo in the league.

05 Ball,Jolly (SYD)

Ball given time and developed into a good ruckman. Sydney payed a high price (their first draft pick) for Jolly and it was worth it.

06 Cox,Seaby (WCE)

Cox developed from the rookie list. They stuck by him when supporters were calling for his head. Seaby taken high in the superdraft and given plenty of opportunities in the seniors.

07 Ottens,King (GEEL)

Ottens cost the club multiple high draft picks and they would say he was worth it. King well past his prime, but drafted and developed by the club into an excellent player.

How have we got our ruckmen? We've taken them for nothing when they weren't wanted by their club because they hadn't played any decent footy for years. Gardiner was going to be sacked by West Coast, King was going to be sacked by Geelong and Rix was sacked by Hawthorn.

If a ruckman is capable of performing well at AFL level, their club won't let them go unless for a very high price. Recycling unwanted hacks has been a regular occurance in the pre season by St Kilda ever since Everitt left.