Eh.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Eh.

honestly, the way some people are going on here, you'd think WE recruited Judd and Cox and Brown - I think we're getting a little carried away - is anyone else the slightest bit anxious that we've recruited yet another ruckman who is both over-the hill and injury prone?

I agree that our trading was fantastic - we got all four guys for basically nothing - 26 might be a decent pick but what could we possibly get with 90? but to say it will catapult us up the ladder is a bit far-fetched in my opinion.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on this of course, but i think we might be getting carried away. We still need a lot of things to go our way on the road to a premiership and we still need a lot of luck - history suggests that won't happen for us.

let's hope it does though, i think we've all been miserable long enough - time to create a new St.Kilda culture.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i think you will find the concensus is that our depth has improves as a result of our trades. They cost us nothing almost, and kudos to the club for low risk trading which has delivered us at least 2 walk up starts to our round 1 2008 game( fitness provided schneider and king), and a possible 3rd in dempster.

I am happy with the clubs efforts, i am not expecting that these trades will deliver us a flag, but i think it is a more than positive trade week for us.
Last edited by fonz_#15 on Sat 13 Oct 2007 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I'm happy with it but I don't tihnk this is going to make us a dead-set certianty for next year or 2009. I reckon in three years time or so we'll be back up the top again and probably have a better chance of a flag then.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Mate no one is saying that we've recruited superstars or even players that will be in our top 15. What Ross has done is recruit two players that will be in our best 22 (King & Schneider) and two others than provide depth at positions we are dubious in.

There are always lots of ifs at this time of year & King's fitness probably adds more this year. Despite some posters (with limited memories and/or footy knowledge) think, King's football ability is very good. He had an injury over last pre season & missed the start of the year. The Cats were forced to play Blake & were pleasantly surprised how well he came on. King is & will always be a superior ruckman & footballer in general to Mark Blake.

We have not sacrificed the future as we still have our top 10 pick and three others to get a fresh batch of kids in to build on the Armitage/Howard/Allen/Geary group from last year.

If Bono is right then we all have booted some under performers in Brooks, McQualter & Watts (although I think Watts was a bit stiff). I wouldn't be surprised if we keep a spot open for the PSD & take a punt on Ian Perrie as a back up tall.

All in all we did exceptionally well in building some depth in the list.

We already have the superstars... we needed competition for the last 5-7 spots in our best 22. That has somewhat been achieved this week.
Last edited by Animal Enclosure on Sat 13 Oct 2007 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP 100%.

People on this forum get far too carried away with the trade/draft period altogether. It can be 2-3 seasons before you know for sure that your decisions in this period were good, bad or indifferent.

I will reluctantly agree that Schneider is probably worth a punt. He's always been one of my least favourite players. He reminds me of one of those kids who spends their entire life whinging to the teacher. But he does appear to have some degree of talent.

King is also probably worth a punt. We certainly need a reasonable quality ruckman, at least as a backup, and he might possibly go ok (as did, for mine, M Clarke in 2007).

The other two are simply hacks for mine. We don't need them and I don't see how delisting a Sweeney or a Watts or a McQualter or even a Brooks to make room for these guys (plus the dreaded CJ) on our list can be seen in any way as going forward.

I guess we won't be hearing whinging about them from the anti-GT brigade as "recycled" players because (a) "they didn't cost us anything" (although they will take up salary cap room) and (b) (most importantly) it wasn't GT who recruited them.

But the post-GT era record of recruitment now stands at 7 recycled hacks from other clubs in two seasons (with possibly more to come). Most of these are far older than the likes of Gram, Ackland, Brooks, Guerra, Watts, etc. for whom we traded under GT.

One thing that is certainly happening in a big way in the RL era is that the average age of our team is increasing pretty quickly.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I'm with you mate.

I'm excited about the two Sydney boys but I'm left a little underwhelmed with the Geelong players.

King had to battle a weary body and Mark Blake(!) for a spot in a premiership side. He's got his medal and now I must say I have doubts over his motivation to give it 100%.

I can't help but think that he's after one last pay day before pulling the pin. We've all seen it before with players who have reached the top, with an aging body especially it's easy to become "comfortable" when there's nothing left for you to achieve.

On paper he's definitely better than any of our ruckmen but whether he can deliver is another thing. I just hope he's on the same page as the rest of our boys.

super dooper
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:i think you will find the concensus is that our depth has improves as a result of our trades. They cost us nothing almost, and kudos to the club for low risk trading which has delivered us at least 2 walk up starts to our round 1 2008 game( fitness provided schneider and king), and a possible 3rd in dempster.

I am happy with the clubs efforts, i am not expecting that these trades will deliver us a flag, but i think it is a more than positive trade week for us.
agree 100%, we have 4 ready made players for pick 26. Although these players wont win us games on their own, they will certainly be able to contribute to the team in their respective separate roles.

I think Dempster will take Attard's spot with his absense, bit more size about him over attard as well
Dempster has an extra 5 cms over attard and a few extra kilos, averages more disposals

Schnieder - a contributor with a bit of added run, again no high expectations, however could compliment our team well

The RL factor could also have an impact due to the fact that RL have worked with the players before.

As for King and Gardiner, if be happy if King played 20 games, which allows kosi to play up forward. King would have to be better than anything we have had in the ruck since everitt, exc kosi.

Gardiner is going to be a fringe player, dont expect him to play too many games in the seniors, perhaps injuries will give him a good opportunity should the occur.

Now if u assess pick 26, the odds of them playing most games and having an impact of some sort is minimal compared to what King, Schnieder and demspter will proivde, hence a win for us in terms of trade.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
One thing that is certainly happening in a big way in the RL era is that the average age of our team is increasing pretty quickly.
Not sure that is correct MB - with the retirements of V2, G-Train, AT, Clarke and Sammy I think our average age for season 2008 will be far lower than it was in 2007, even allowing for the newly traded players.

I would think that the natural progression is that each year you keep your 'core list' together your team ages by 1 year and it only ever drops dramatically when you have a big group of older players retire? It stands to reason that if 5-6 players 30+ retire and are replaced by 5 fraft picks at around 18 years old your list will drop in average age.

One of the side issues with a large group of 30+ players retiring is the loss of 'experience' to the CLub and the recruiting of King (an ex Club captain) will certainly help to diminish that concern.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Our average age in 2008 will be about 12 months younger than it was in 2005.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Agree with the OP 100%.

People on this forum get far too carried away with the trade/draft period altogether. It can be 2-3 seasons before you know for sure that your decisions in this period were good, bad or indifferent.

The other two are simply hacks for mine. We don't need them and I don't see how delisting a Sweeney or a Watts or a McQualter or even a Brooks to make room for these guys (plus the dreaded CJ) on our list can be seen in any way as going forward.

I guess we won't be hearing whinging about them from the anti-GT brigade as "recycled" players because (a) "they didn't cost us anything" (although they will take up salary cap room) and (b) (most importantly) it wasn't GT who recruited them.

But the post-GT era record of recruitment now stands at 7 recycled hacks from other clubs in two seasons (with possibly more to come). Most of these are far older than the likes of Gram, Ackland, Brooks, Guerra, Watts, etc. for whom we traded under GT.

however, sweeney got 1 game in 2 years, raymond didn't get a game. Mcqualter i can't wait until he is gone. so with demspters and gardiner much bettter. they will give the saints depth, will probably play maybe 10 games a year, but hey its better then sweeney and raymond! much better!
Last edited by saintly on Sat 13 Oct 2007 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What are you talking aboot?

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I think trade week was terrific. As mentioned on here it has given our club greater depth, and our coach greater OPTIONS.
If King and Gardiner can stay fit (please Lord!)... Kosi becomes a gun forward.
Schneider adds value through the midfield and creates havoc as an extra crumber up forward with Milney.

Add BJ's return, Lenny and Bally getting back to their best (meaning less pressure on Dal); and 2008 should see us aiming for a real crack at the flag....... and don't forget the Great Man's farewell season

GO SAINTS!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
fisher_fan
Club Player

Without doubt I am looking forward to this year more than last year. We now have acquired some depth, which is what we have been lacking. No doubt we are better off with the 4 new recruits than pick 26 and pick 90. And as mentioned the average player age has dropped since 2005. I think Kings body will hold up for the season, as will Gardiners (touch wood)

The only other thing I would like to see is either developing Van Rheehan, if he is not looking up to it than maybe going after the best ruckman avalible with pick 9 (not the best player) we seem to have a bit of depth all over the field now, however when it comes time for King and Gardiner to retire we need a strong solid back up to take over.

For the first time in my life i will be getting a membership next year by the way....

such is life