Thomas Regime & Brooks, Watts & McQualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

ok thanks for clearing that up

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:GT has to learn to shut his mouth. Along with that tool Brian Waldron, they are making comments in the media which are nothing short of embarassing for the St.KFC.
Are you able to elaborate on the embarrassing remarks Waldron is making? I have never once heard him put the club down.
He actually stuffed up yesterday on SEN when he said we tanked and then tried to say he wasnt serious but he usually pretty good.
He actually qualified and said we were not a good enough side to tank.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:GT has to learn to shut his mouth. Along with that tool Brian Waldron, they are making comments in the media which are nothing short of embarassing for the St.KFC.
Are you able to elaborate on the embarrassing remarks Waldron is making? I have never once heard him put the club down.
He actually stuffed up yesterday on SEN when he said we tanked and then tried to say he wasnt serious but he usually pretty good.
But he did say we tanked firstly and changed his mind when KB had a go at him. He said we tanked because we did what the pies did and got guys in for operations early. He never said we delibrately lost.

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
But he did say we tanked firstly and changed his mind when KB had a go at him. He said we tanked because we did what the pies did and got guys in for operations early. He never said we delibrately lost.
you are right Plugger however, Carlton were in positions to win games, even against us, and still lost. especially since Ratten became coach. Why would you give him two years when he lost every game he coached?
IMO we were not in a similar position.
Waldron is a Saints man and it is unfortunate he still isn't there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
you are right Plugger however, Carlton were in positions to win games, even against us, and still lost. especially since Ratten became coach. Why would you give him two years when he lost every game he coached?
IMO we were not in a similar position.
Waldron is a Saints man and it is unfortunate he still isn't there.
I am not doubting that but all I said was that he did stuff up a little yesterday but nothing major.

Behind Play
Club Player

Fair enough. :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
He seems to now say things in public that are diametrically opposed to what he did?
Maybe he thinks he was wrong.

Maybe if he had his time again, he'd do things differently.

Maybe nobody gives a s*** because he has nothing to do with our club anymore.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
He seems to now say things in public that are diametrically opposed to what he did?
Maybe he thinks he was wrong.

Maybe if he had his time again, he'd do things differently.

Maybe nobody gives a s*** because he has nothing to do with our club anymore.
Yes, why do people talk about this guy...he left years ago! Look forward , not back

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thomas Regime & Brooks, Watts & McQualter

SuperSaint wrote:Well if it is true that these 3 have gone, what does it say about the Thomas' foresight in recruiting young players. What a complete waste of first round picks! He professes to know so much on the airwaves about what's best for the club yet failure to bring on quality new blood into the team since 2004 is a big factor in why we have fallen away from the top teams.

I believe he was prinicipally involved in the Brooks deal after he got rid of Everitt and used two first round draft picks for him to get him from Port. I'm sure Mark Williams would have been on cloud nine to get that return for this unmotivated dud. I can recall Thomas sending Brooks away 3 years ago to get some urgency about his desire for playing footy so that "the penny drops" for him, as he put it. Brooks was never at any stage hungry/passionate or competitive enough to play at the highest level.

Easy for GT to pass the buck to John Beveridge all the time about recruiting but a coach has a lot to answer for when it comes to making these decisions also.

Thomas these 3 first round draft failures are more your legacy than anyone elses.
every regime makes recuiting mistakes. that is because there is no proven way of telling the future.

let's not forget that gt is only the second coach (after our premiership coach yabby jeans) to lead the club to three successive finals campaigns.

no-one's perfect. in among the bad calls were plenty of good ones.

plus he had that list playing at times with real passion. must have done something right.

Washedup
Club Player

every regime makes recuiting mistakes. that is because there is no proven way of telling the future.
The mistake GT made was trading off early draft picks and topping up when he thought he had a list capable of taking us to the holy grail. Paying well over the odds for players (Brooks 6 & 31 :oops: ) has cost us dearly. If we had of kept those picks and continued along his original line of drafting the best kids to give us a chance of sustainable success (10+ yrs), our list would be in a whole lot better shape right now.
The myth that the GT lovers try ramming down peoples throats is that GT built the list. The signing of M.Blight and years of poor performances was the reason our list became strong.
This yr we have traded pick #26 and what would be an unused pick #90 to pick up 4 players. Schneider himself is definitely worth more than #26 in this weak draft so whatever we get out of the other 3 is a bonus.
That is what i call smart trading
et's not forget that gt is only the second coach (after our premiership coach yabby jeans) to lead the club to three successive finals campaigns.
The only thing us, as Saints supporters should be getting carried away with is who will be OUR 2nd PREMIERSHIP COACH.
I couldn't care less if GT had of taken us to 5 prelims in a row, success is winning premierships. No one cares or remembers who comes 3rd or 4th every year, and it certainly doesn't put silverware in the cabinet

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:I couldn't care less if GT had of taken us to 5 prelims in a row, success is winning premierships. No one cares or remembers who comes 3rd or 4th every year, and it certainly doesn't put silverware in the cabinet
yep winning premierships is what it is all about, but it takes patience and persistence ... as geelong proved this year and port in 2004.