New (improved) fantasy afl game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jaz
Club Player

New (improved) fantasy afl game

(Note to moderators: I hope this is ok to post here, its not spam and i would really appreciate any ideas anyone has )

As part of a major commercial project at Uni i currently developing a 'trade based' afl fantasy game. When i say trade based i mean that each player will be only availiable to one team per league, this means each team will be different unlike dream team or herald sun fantasy footy where each team is 80% the same. We would like some input as to what you would consider important if you were to use this system. We require to have this running by next year and will have a virtual draft about a week before round one where you can choose your players.

Currently what we have proposed is:
+ Trade based
+ Has "communities" which will allow sporting clubs or workplaces to have more than one league (12 -16 teams per league) in the one community to allow communication between users and this will probably encorperate an FA cup style game on the side to the regular game.
+ Will encorperate a tipping competition so even the most impassive user can compete against their mates / colleagues
+ has multiple scoring options
- points based (like dream team)
- category based (team with most points in each category wins that category, team with most category wins will win the match)
- year long total score

+ the most important feature will be a match predictor that will take players average stats, stats against the team they are playing against that week and current form to determine a prediction for each player. This will be used to determine the likely hood of winning both for fantasy teams against each other and for the real afl games. This is something that may be developed upon later as a PhD to determine an accurate mathematical formula.

So we would really appreciate any input as to what you think would be good, baring in mind that we are trying to create an entire online community not just another website.

awesome_days
Club Player

Sounds good.

Probably needs to still incorporate salary cap restrictions.

How does the person who gets 1st draft pick etc decided & the order for picks over the whole team.

Will you allow in season trading every week (pick up listed players who are not yet picked by a team or have a specified tade window.

Will there be an end of season roll-over where you have a full trade period, delistings/retirements and keep your core squad. New "Coaches" can inferit old squads of people choosing to leave the game. (This would work well as there is often a number of workpleaces who run tipping comps with the same people each year. This could also determine who gets first pick of any available players before the first round in the following year.

Jaz
Club Player

Probably needs to still incorporate salary cap restrictions.
will have position restrictions, ie 6 backs etc so i dont think we need salery cap restrictions
How does the person who gets 1st draft pick etc decided & the order for picks over the whole team.
This is just random
Will you allow in season trading every week (pick up listed players who are not yet picked by a team or have a specified tade window.
Yes there will be 'free agents' that are not in any team, these can be picked up at any time (except during a round). A player must be added to the free agents for one to be picked up
Will there be an end of season roll-over where you have a full trade period, delistings/retirements and keep your core squad. New "Coaches" can inferit old squads of people choosing to leave the game. (
Sound like a good idea, could have issues if some players dont continue again the next year. unfair for new players to be stuck with someone else's team.

awesome_days
Club Player

Jaz wrote:
Sound like a good idea, could have issues if some players dont continue again the next year. unfair for new players to be stuck with someone else's team.
That would only mirror real life. Coaches come and go all the time. There would be more skill involved in taking someone elses team and turning it around. Would add a further management style to your game.