Topping up v going the kids - misconception

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Topping up v going the kids - misconception

I just want to vent at some of the stuff written on our recent recruiting.

Yes we recruited Clarke last year, yep he was 34 years old, Ackland had left, we had no ruckman and he was free. He didn't take a spot from a youngster as we had 5 rookies already.

We haven't topped up this year.

We lost over 1000 games of experience and replaced them with 3 players under 25 and a 28 year old who happens to play in a position we are ranked last in the league. He also happens to be a premiership ruckman.

We have kept pick 9, we have 3rd and 4th round picks and most probably 3 rookies to pick.

So from last year we have lost 4 players over 30 and 1 29 year old.
We also delisted two 20 year olds.

We replace them with
Two 23 year olds
One 24 year old
One 28 year old
and
Three 18 year olds

Seems young enough to me.

Year on year the list has got much younger and we have managed to build some good depth that we have in previous years struggled with.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't call it topping up either... More like filling the gaps.

As you have said, age certainly isn't something we should worry about, 3 players getting to their prime, and 1 in their prime.

This trading period could be said to have been better than our 2001 bunch.

Well done Ross and boys.

They walk amongst us...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

end of the day if we get 4 commited players for the club to replace the two never was's and the 4 hasbeens (no disrespect but for all 4 their best was behind them ) then im happy

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't have a problem stocking up on 23 -24 year olds to go with the ones we already have...they will bond and hit their prime together...with a bit of luck.....provided they aren't duds....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kalsaint
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:I wouldn't call it topping up either... More like filling the gaps.

As you have said, age certainly isn't something we should worry about, 3 players getting to their prime, and 1 in their prime.

Well done Ross and boys.
AFL.com.au is showing a poll on the club who recruited best.

I reckon the Saints beat Carlton's one pick Judd when you consider what we gave up for 4 players who are likely to continue to develop. The other clubs are not even close.

Excellent work recruiting gang. Some extra pace, a key ruckman and an athletic defender. If Charlie can knuckle down he can also be a valuable forward.

Look forward to the selections from teh young ones now.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
HSVKing wrote:I wouldn't call it topping up either... More like filling the gaps.

Well done Ross and boys.
AFL.com.au is showing a poll on the club who recruited best.

I reckon the Saints beat Carlton's one pick Judd when you consider what we gave up for 4 players who are likely to continue to develop. The other clubs are not even close.

Excellent work recruiting gang. Some extra pace, a key ruckman and an athletic defender. If Charlie can knuckle down he can also be a valuable forward.

Look forward to the selections from teh young ones now.
most on bigfooty are putting us in their top two performers for the week