Pick 90

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Pick 90

I must say I didn't even know there were that many picks. I can remember it going ot mid 80s, Rodan for instance was 86.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

hense why it was traded

saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

well bugger I was sure we where gonna pick up the next Judd with that one :evil:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

wasnt hird picked up as pick 90 odd ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:wasnt hird picked up as pick 90 odd ??
pick 79 in 1990

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

:oops:
yeah 1990 i mean :oops: :oops:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
super dooper
Club Player

Chris Grant was pick 105 or soemthing like that from memory, but the drafting system has changed considerably since then

casey scorp
Club Player

Aaron Hamill was Pick 79 in 1994.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:Chris Grant was pick 105 or soemthing like that from memory, but the drafting system has changed considerably since then

The least of it being no where near that number are drafted nowdays.

ben_fff
Club Player

Geelong have no interntion of using 90, the accepted the trade to prevent both players being having to be delisted and they wont have to pay out Gardiners contract.

From what I've read the trade rules have changed so now you don't have to use the picks that you traded for which was the case in previous seasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:Geelong have no interntion of using 90, the accepted the trade to prevent both players being having to be delisted and they wont have to pay out Gardiners contract.

From what I've read the trade rules have changed so now you don't have to use the picks that you traded for which was the case in previous seasons.

That is true but are we sure Gardiner had a contract?

ben_fff
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ben_fff wrote:Geelong have no interntion of using 90, the accepted the trade to prevent both players being having to be delisted and they wont have to pay out Gardiners contract.

That is true but are we sure Gardiner had a contract?
No idea, I don't see why else they would throw him in the trade... unless we had some genuine interest in the bloke.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Yes they are going to use pick 90.

They are using it for their Father/Son pick. Adam Donohue his name is I think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:

They can only use it if they use all picks before it which I doubt. That would be 6 picks in the draft. I dont think they will use that many but who knows.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:

nah, they will use pick 60 something or 70 something for the father/son
Last edited by saintly on Sat 13 Oct 2007 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

they're using 114 for the father-son because it was uncontested

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:they're using 114 for the father-son because it was uncontested
You cannot use a pick after you pass so they will not be using that pick as they will not pick up that many players in the draft.

casey scorp
Club Player

He was nominated by the Cats, so any other team had to then compete if they wanted him by nominating a draft round they would take him in. If another team did that then Geelong would have had to commit their next pick after the nominating team's selection in the round they nominated him for. If Geelong didn't do that then:

* they lost him
* the other team was obligated to take him with the selection they nominated.

No otherr team was interested so Geelong takes him with the last pick they use at the draft.

The Rules

Father-son bid selections

Any clubs wishing to nominate eligible players as a father-son selection for this year's 2007 NAB AFL Draft must do so by 2pm Friday, October 5.

The bidding meeting for any nominated players will be at 10am on Monday, October 8.

Each other club in the competition has the option to bid, in reverse ladder order, for that nominated player. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain hold on that player.

If the club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the Draft. Any club that makes a successful bid on a father-son selection is bound to the pick they nominate. If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

Key rules to note in the trading / drafting Process

(some deleted)

Any draft selection received in an exchange does not need to be exercised. However, any club that passes on a draft selection shall be excluded from exercising any remaining selections at that same meeting.

Donohue keeps Cats' family tradition alive

GEELONG hopes its outstanding success in father-son recruiting can continue when Adam Donohue joins the playing list next season.

Donohue, the son of former Cats full-forward and 1976 Coleman medallist Larry Donohue, will be the club’s final selection in next month’s NAB AFL National Draft.

The Cats nominated the promising 17-year-old under the new father-son system, and with no other club bidding for the Geelong Falcon, the reigning premiers will use their final pick on November 24 to secure the emerging talent.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:they're using 114 for the father-son because it was uncontested
You cannot use a pick after you pass so they will not be using that pick as they will not pick up that many players in the draft.
Especially given that once you pass, all your subsequent picks are taken off the board. They'd be picking an entire new list to get to 114.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote: From what I've read the trade rules have changed so now you don't have to use the picks that you traded for which was the case in previous seasons.
That's true and credit where credit due...well done to the AFL (shhh!!!!), it's been a good change and resulted in a really active trade week - just the way we like it!!!

saintsrule
Club Player

this years draft has 130 picks

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintsrule wrote:this years draft has 130 picks

and will probably stop at 80 like every other year for the last ten years.

saintsrule
Club Player

there hasn't been that many picks in past years