king positive.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

king positive.....

Steven King heads to St Kilda

October 12, 2007 - 6:34PM

Premiership ruckman Steven King feels the unusual AFL trade deal by Geelong that sent him to St Kilda is "probably the least they could do for me".

While the 28-year-old is clearly not leaving the Cats of his own volition, he was keen to put a positive slant on the deal that also sends former Geelong team-mate Charlie Gardiner to the Saints in return for lowly pick 90.

The deal highlights the list pressures facing the premiers after their all-conquering season.

It was only possible because of a new AFL rule this year that means clubs do not have to use exchanged draft selections - otherwise, King would have gone into the pre-season draft.

The King-Gardiner deal was the major news on the last day of a busy trade week, when 20 players changed clubs.

The two banner trades were Chris Judd from West Coast to Carlton and the deal that sent Melbourne midfielder Travis Johnstone to Brisbane and young Lions ruckman Cameron Wood to premiership aspirants Collingwood.

King was adamant he felt no bitterness towards Geelong.

But asked if felt gratitude to Geelong for engineering the trade, he replied: "a little bit I guess, but after 13 years' service and captaining the club, it's probably the least they could do for me."

It has been a bizarre month for King - first, he played in Geelong's VFL premiership side.

A few days later, the Cats controversially recalled him to their AFL grand final side in place of young ruckman Mark Blake.

Six days after the VFL flag, King was part of the team that scored a record AFL grand final win over Port Adelaide.

Then King's name started featuring prominently in trade talk and once the Cats re-signed Blake, he was destined for a move.

A major selection poser for Geelong this season was fitting King, Blake and No.1 ruckman Brad Ottens in the same team.

"The last five weeks of my life would be an amazing reality TV show, the ups and downs I've had throughout that time have been an amazing learning experience for me," he said.

"This is just another step of that, I guess."

Cats football manager Neil Balme said the King-Gardiner deal was an example of the trade system in operation.

"We have some issues with list management and TPP (total player payments), etc," he said.

"We weren't quite able to fit everyone in, or we're working through that, and a few of the players were keen to continue and were looking for perhaps other clubs.

"We certainly helped a couple with it.

"The four guys who've gone have been exceptional Geelong people and good players."

Geelong also traded Tim Callan to the Western Bulldogs and Henry Playfair to Sydney.

The Saints have traded for short-term success - apart from King, they also picked up Sydney premiership players Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster.

Richmond picked up Jordan McMahon from the Western Bulldogs and Mitch Morton from the Eagles.

The Bulldogs also snared Adelaide ruckman Ben Hudson and Brisbane are unhappy that Carlton managed to snare youngster Richard Hadley in exchange for only the No.52 draft selection.

Two trades that did not happen by Friday's 2pm deadline were Essendon tall utility Kepler Bradley to Fremantle and Richmond key forward Jay Schulz to Port Adelaide.

© 2007 AAP

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

more on and from steve king.....

..."Premiership Cat the King of Saints coup

4:09 PM Fri 12 October, 2007 | Back

By Ben Broad

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
News

ST KILDA landed arguably the biggest coup of trade week – Chris Judd aside – when it snared Geelong premiership ruckman Steven King on the final day of talks.

In what seemed a remarkable bargain, the Saints only had to offload a sixth-round draft choice (pick 90) for King – a 13-year Cat and former club captain – and his teammate Charlie Gardiner.

As Geelong feels the squeeze of salary-cap restrictions, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon is celebrating the arrival of four players at Moorabbin following the conclusion of trade week – three of them premiership players.

But King’s signing is likely to please the Saints' coach and fans the most, given the club’s wretched run of luck regarding big men in recent years.

King, who replaced Cats big man Mark Blake in Geelong’s Grand Final side just two weeks ago, admitted the past month had provided a roller-coaster of emotions.

“The last couple of days have been a bit of a shock but I’m over that now and just really excited about being given an opportunity to keep playing AFL footy,â€

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A thread title similar to that one would send shudders through one or two other AFL CLubs fans methinks ;-) 8-) :? :!:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigred
Saintsational Legend

It is a rediculously good trade.

Sixth rounder for a premiership ruckman, with a couple of years left in him........With any luck anyway.

My only concern and hope, is that he does not take this move as his retirement fund.

If he is not 100% committed, I would be showing him the door before season start.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:It is a rediculously good trade.

Sixth rounder for a premiership ruckman, with a couple of years left in him........With any luck anyway.

My only concern and hope, is that he does not take this move as his retirement fund.

If he is not 100% committed, I would be showing him the door before season start.
from his interview i think he sounds genuinly excited about the opportunity being given to him to continue his afl career

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think he will use this as a retirment fund if that was the case the PSD would be his best option as he could mark his price up

im not expecting him to be the differance for us next year but hell he will help

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/