Will McEvoy be our prefered pick?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roo+hayes=flag
Club Player

Chris Masten – 180cm, 78kg – East Fremantle. A genuine in and under rover who can run all day and is very good at getting his team mates into the game. His skills are very good and creative on both sides of his body and knows how to block for his mates in the middle. He isn’t a jet as far as pace goes but his vision and composure make up for that. Finds plenty of the footy and is very good at the stoppages and clearances. He has had a pretty consistent year playing mainly in the seniors for East Fremantle in the WAFL. Had an excellent under 18 championship series where he was captain of WA and really delivered on field with his work rate and one precenters. Played really consistent footy over four quarters in all three champ matches. Work rate is very good. Doesn’t mind going forward and kicking a goal.
Top 15 pick.

Rhys Palmer – 180cm, 76kg – East Fremantle. Exploded onto the scene with a sensational National Champs where he dominated in the middle and kicked goals. Good skills on both sides of his body and has plenty of run and flair.
Before the champs he was good for East Freo without being a stand out but he has kicked on since his efforts at the Nationals with more 20 plus possession games. Very hard at the footy and looks like he enjoys going in hard. He is very good at the clearances and has a booming left foot kick. Kept working hard and finding the footy despite efforts to tag him. Very good work rate.
Top 15 pick.

Scott Sellwood – 184cm 81kg – Bendigo Pioneers. Gets a lot of publicity simply because of his brothers but as far as footy goes he is his own man. He isn’t as classy as Joel but he does have great skills. Isn’t overly fast and tends to crash through the smaller guys rather than beat them with skill. Has played a bit of junior footy at half back with no one on him so he finds the ball a bit but often I think he could be working harder during games. Needs to run and carry it more often. He is a good size kid who does seem to enjoy playing an inside pack crashing role.
Top 20 pick.

Cyril Rioli – 178cm, 74kg – St Marys NT. Despite playing most of the nationals as a small forward due to him recovering from injury he is a genuine midfielder. Has good pace and a nice left foot kick but is good on both sides of his body. His tackling is also very good.
Gets his team mates involved and was the leading goal assist player at the Champs. Showed he was very dangerous up forward with 7 goals in the last champ game against QLD. Has been playing school footy in Melbourne so he will know what to expect when he moves south.
Top 20 pick

Brad Ebert – 187cm, 86kg- Port Adelaide SANFL. Captain of SA and a bottom age player but he has already played senior SANFL footy for Port. Is a very good sized kid who was tagged well during the Champs but still did well. He is an excellent inside or outside player with good skills and pace and is a good contested mark of the footy. Extremely courageous in his attack on the ball and lead the SA side well.
Top 20 pick.

Keep on rolling Harvs
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:My 3 cents - we are screaming out for a full back - Rance for me

Most of the gun mids will probably be gone by pick 9 - Cotchin, Masten, Palmer.

Schneider can run through the midfield in bursts and Armitage and Geary (if promoted) will hopefully step up

We miss Penny badly and with Hudghton continually injured and 1 year older our backline needs shoring up

Rance sounds like the best back in the draft .... do it I says!!! :twisted:
Is Rance an attacking defender, similar to Gilbert?
Or is he just a plain stopper, like Penny tried to be?

Would only take him if he was an attacking defender.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It was interesting that Rance didn't make Kevin Sheehan's top 10. He may be rated in the top 15 though so grabbing him at 9 is not unlikely.

I really like the sound of David Myers... someone on BF described him as a 'defensive version of Pendlebury'. We still need to add to the midfield and adding a Rioli, Myers or one of the other mids that invariably will drop (Albert Proud last year???) to Armitage & Howard will auger well for the future.

Great trading yesterday too, any sooking about wasted cap space & spots on the list is rubbish. There are AFL rules that mean we have to pay over 92.5% of the cap & we have to have some depth. That's just what we added... depth at positions that required it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Devilhead wrote:My 3 cents - we are screaming out for a full back - Rance for me

Schneider can run through the midfield in bursts and Armitage and Geary (if promoted) will hopefully step up

We miss Penny badly and with Hudghton continually injured and 1 year older our backline needs shoring up

Rance sounds like the best back in the draft .... do it I says!!! :twisted:
Is Rance an attacking defender, similar to Gilbert?
Or is he just a plain stopper, like Penny tried to be?

Would only take him if he was an attacking defender.
Review from BF

Alex Rance (Key Def)
Was superb at FB and at 194cm is a perfect height for the AFL scouts. Should good courage in his aerial work and was a very enthusiastic rebounder racking up touches from the last line. Good kicking is crucial in a modern FB for switching play and maintaining possession and Rance ticks that box. The prototype modern FB.

:twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Anybody have any thoughts on Dave Gourdis? He's not exactly what we're looking for, in that he's a key forward, but he had an interesting draft camp. Had the fastest sprint time and vertical jump and finished top ten in the repeat sprints. It'll be very interesting to see where he goes.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Rhys Palmer – 180cm, 76kg – East Fremantle. . Good skills on both sides of his body and has plenty of run and flair.
Very hard at the footy and looks like he enjoys going in hard.

He is very good at the clearances .... (Lyon must be aware of this)!

... and has a booming left foot kick.
... kept working hard and finding the footy despite efforts to tag him
... very good work rate.

Top 15 pick.
Palmer sounds like a safe bet in that he may survive nicely in the physicality needed. Sounds like he will be picked earlier than 9

Rance also sounds like excellent insurance for the on-going tweeking of our backline. Wouldn't be surprised if Rossi leaned towards a classy backman.

I hope the midfield dpth is there come pick 9. but a solid long term defender could prove just as clever if one came our way.

What a job is in front of the club with this first pick- especially when next season our first pick could be 14 !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A couple of S.A. indigenous mid-fielder boys who could feature for later draft picks or rookies, particularly if we dont pick Rioli for 9.
1. Jarrad Petrenko, 176. Very fast. One of only five S.A. players to make the draft camp.
2. Zac. Millar, 182. Fast. I have seen him described as "an indigenous Dal Santo."

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I agree I would take Rance at pick 9 aswell and he could release Gilbert up the ground and when Max retires he could take his spot at FB.

goodie
Club Player

Between Rance and Rioli, given the choice I'd go for Rance

Art Vandelay
Club Player

Re: Will McEvoy be our prefered pick?

Megamaguire wrote:Are we still after a long term ruck ????????????????

Ben McEvoy-199cm, 90kg-Murray Bushrangers. (Ruck, fwd) He has been on the radar for a while and has had good form this year. He was one of Country’s best performers during the champs playing in the ruck and up forward. He looks to have good endurance and moves around the ground well but he is not blessed with a lot of pace. His ruckwork is pretty good and he can read the play. His kicking skills are very good and he can take a good contested mark. He is the type of ruckman that can ruck for a good portion of the match. Where he goes in the draft will be interesting.
Pick 10 to 30 .

G O S A I N T S !

No - midfield pace and/or key backman.