cats fell for three-card trick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

milnedog
Club Player

They did the right thing by King a good clubman. Obviously he would hae gone to the PSD and I would say that Carlton, Richmond and the Dogs all wouldn't mind a free ruckman but St Kilda was probably Kings choice and they would have got nothing so they did the right thing by him.

BROWNLOW: DalSanto 06, Ball 08, Riewoldt 07, Ball + Dal + ROO tie 09.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Good to see King wanted to come to the Saints and no-one else.

He is 28 and an aggressive ruckmen who is fit and in good nick. Will get plenty of opportunity to dominate with the Saints.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Jaz
Club Player

Looks like Geelong wanted to look after C. Gardiner too. Would have been delisted and posibly not picked up but given to us to give him another year at AFL. I think he will get a chance this year mayby 4-5 games but if he doesnt produce will be delisted at the end of the year. A great deal for both clubs, us more so as we have nothing to loose (pick 90 would have been beveridge's annual 'smokey' from the bush) I hope for his (and our) sake that he takes his chance and can become a third target up forward.

I think he might come good because he will get the oppositions 3rd best tall defender. most dont have that many so it will take a tall away from somewhere more dangerous, or if they play a smaller player on him then we can use him as a marking target. I am very excided about the possiblility of having koszi, reiwolt, shneider, gardiner as forward options and milne roving with X clarke or dal santo resting / rotating on the forward flank. If gardiner doesnt come good then even M gardiner or king as the 3rd forward is great for us.

Great recruiting guys, expecially in a shallow draft where from all reports there is 3 great players then 6 - 12 on the next level and the rest are average. If we pick a quick midfielder with pick 9 and probably need to get a ruck to develop over 3 years (can be this draft or next ) and a fullback to replace max at some stage then i believe we can have a good side for at least 5 years.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Decency won out. I hope they can prove themselves at the Saints.....well done Geelong.
yep...they were decent weren't they...might have to alter my view of snipers hollow...but i was hoping that they would win on grand final day...as were a lot of other saints.......see...karma.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Good to see King wanted to come to the Saints and no-one else.

He is 28 and an aggressive ruckmen who is fit and in good nick. Will get plenty of opportunity to dominate with the Saints.
we need some tough hard footballers...and king fits the bill to a tee...i am really pretty pleased with the day on reflection...we did good......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There was no 3-card trick or brilliant management.

King was offered a one year contract on minimum wage and he refused. Geelong said that they would prefer that he retires (no cap space to offer him a decent contract) but King wanted to play on. Geelong would have delisted King, but (in what seems to be a growing trend) they accommodated his wishes and sent him into a nothing deal with St Kilda, and they threw in another to-be delistee in Gardiner.

They were going to delist both King and Gardiner, but did the right thing by their players and got them a trade, which guarantees that they will have another year or two in the AFL rather than the uncertainty and disappointment of the PSD.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Good to see King wanted to come to the Saints and no-one else.

That is one promising sign. If it was inevitable that we were going to pick him up, I'm glad that it happened this way with King nominating St Kilda and talking the team up rather than us taking him in the PSD when there are rumours flying around about Collingwood, Hawthorn etc.

Hopefully he will have a big pre season and find some decent form in 2008.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:King was offered a one year contract on minimum wage and he refused. Geelong said that they would prefer that he retires.
we sort of forced their hand by throwing huge money at blake. they had to choose between king and blake and chose the wrong one, coughing up one of their premiership ruckmen and thus giving us what we probably wanted in the first place

but good on geelong for attempting to look after players and allowing them to come to the club of their choice

Jaz
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:King was offered a one year contract on minimum wage and he refused. Geelong said that they would prefer that he retires.
we sort of forced their hand by throwing huge money at blake. they had to choose between king and blake and chose the wrong one, coughing up one of their premiership ruckmen and thus giving us what we probably wanted in the first place

but good on geelong for attempting to look after players and allowing them to come to the club of their choice
I really hope we didnt throw big money at blake i though he was the weakest link in there team all year. (unless they knew geelong wouldnt take it) He is consistant but can never dominate a game and i think has kicked only 2 or so goals in his career.

In this day and age there is no spot for average ruckmen, you are valuable if you will the majority of tapouts are act as an extra onballer, if you just put up a contest like Rix then you are of no value ( as a team can train to shark the ball from the opposition).

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: cats fell for three-card trick

barks4eva wrote:
bigcarl wrote:hoping the cats would panic and bend over backwards to try to keep him.

it worked

imo we had our eyes on king the whole time. can play and 28 is a mere pup for a ruckman. plus he was preferred to blake in their premiership side.

best thing about this is it frees up kosi to play ff.
yeah they really bent over, offloaded two players who do not figure in their future plans

more likely sent us a trojan horse and yet another guy who couldn't kick over a jam tin, couldn't kick straight to save himself and a player who could not get a game in a PREMIERSHIP team

whoohooo

FAIR DINKUM, geelong must be really feeling like st.kilda have got one up on them :roll:

make that a FLOWERING FAIR DINKUM, with some chrysanthenums to go
Admire your tenacity Barks but cant agree.

We had an obvious hole re the rucks on the list. To me the only way we couldve improved on King was to get Woods/Blake - that wouldve cost us a lot more and probably lost pick 9 or maybe 26 and a half decent player.

We get King for zip really - to me hes a better bet than Clarke and demonstrated recently in VFL and GF that he still has the ability to compete against the best and hes younger.

Lyons done well here and by getting a young Sneider hes added some dash and goal kicking help.........Dempster/Gardiner? we'll see...maybe depth does improve...time will tell but cost us squat.

“Yeah….nah””
stkfc1
Club Player

well put teffers,we got somthing from nothing if it works yay for us, if not no big loss

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think all in all we came out of trade week better than when we went in

so we should all be happy :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.