Trade week: A perfect outcome

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Trade week: A perfect outcome

At the start of trade week, our list was quite a few short of full.

38 Main list - 5 retirements 2 delistments 2 veterans listings

That is 9 spots we can fill, including rookie elevations, and our required 3 national draft picks.

29 Main list + 3 draft picks, Schneider, Dempster, King, Gardiner, Rookie 1, Rookie 2.

Leaves us with 38 on our main list again. We can have a PSD pick if we delist one more player (probably Brooks, Watts or Ferguson). Also leaves us with One Rookie draft pick assuming Wall is delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade week: A perfect outcome

Otiman wrote:At the start of trade week, our list was quite a few short of full.

That is 9 spots we can fill, including rookie elevations, and our required 3 national draft picks.

29 Main list + 3 draft picks, Schneider, Dempster, King, Gardiner, Rookie 1, Rookie 2.

Leaves us with 38 on our main list again. We can have a PSD pick if we delist one more player (probably Brooks, Watts or Ferguson). Also leaves us with One Rookie draft pick assuming Wall is delisted.
Ferguson is safe as he has a new contract this week I think.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

perfect

a bit rich...

saint4life
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade week: A perfect outcome

Otiman wrote:At the start of trade week, our list was quite a few short of full.

We don't HAVE to delist another I think. Can't clubs have 38-40 players?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The 40 would include the 2 veterans listed players, who each take up a spot out of the 6 available rookie list spaces.

When I say perfect, i mean "by the numbers" from a list point of view. Otherwise we would have been taking 5 or 6 picks in a relatively weak draft.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

We can only have a maximum of 35 players on the list before we go into the draft.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

With Dempster in, surely that's about the end for Matty Ferguson...?

Depending over how they rate the fitness of M Gardiner, Rix is probably 50/50 to go, too.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

LTN16 wrote:We can only have a maximum of 35 players on the list before we go into the draft.
-Does the veterans list affect this?
-Have we "officially" delisted Sweeney and Raymond (wasn't on the afl.com page when i checked the other day - not that this means much).
-Does Hammill come off the '08 list? I'm under the impression he doesn't.
-Are rookie elevations done before or after the draft? Would make sense if they're after the national but before the rookie.

-Gehrig, Voss, Clarke, Thommo, Sweeney, Raymond definately out, possibly Hammill out.

- Schneider, Dempster, King, Gardiner in.

If Hammill is NOT off the list AND Vets are counted, that puts us on 36, and we've got to dump one more prior to the draft, with the rookie elevations (Attard & Jones) happening once the Vets list DOES count.

If Hammill is off the list we're sweet.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:With Dempster in, surely that's about the end for Matty Ferguson...?

Depending over how they rate the fitness of M Gardiner, Rix is probably 50/50 to go, too.
Ferg got a new contract this week.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Frankly I think it is a shocking outcome.

Dempster, King, Gardiner. Will any of them play 100 games for St Kilda? No. Have any of them had any positive impact on their side in 2007? No. Were they wanted by their club? No. And it seems that we will be elevating another player who wouldn't get a game anywhere else in Clint Jones.

The following players are now on the senior list, and simply do not have the talent/conditioning to make a genuine positive impact for St Kilda in the coming years.

Blake
Dempster
Ferguson
C.Gardiner
M.Gardiner
Gwilt
Jones
King
Rix

It is fair enough to have a couple of backups. We need a mobile utility (Blake), a backup key defender (Gwilt) and an insurance ruckman (Gardiner/King/Rix). But to have so many players incapable of contributing who all play in the same position is just plain stupid.

I honestly do hope that I am completely wrong and our new recruits become solid contributers in our 2008 premiership side. But just by calling it as I see it, I think we will go backwards in 2008 (barring a Sydney-like injury run).

Would love to know why we didn't go after Richard Hadley. Would have given up pick 42 for him in a heartbeat.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Frankly I think it is a shocking outcome.

Dempster, King, Gardiner. Will any of them play 100 games for St Kilda? No. Have any of them had any positive impact on their side in 2007? No. Were they wanted by their club? No. And it seems that we will be elevating another player who wouldn't get a game anywhere else in Clint Jones.

The following players are now on the senior list, and simply do not have the talent/conditioning to make a genuine positive impact for St Kilda in the coming years.

Blake
Dempster
Ferguson
C.Gardiner
M.Gardiner
Gwilt
Jones
King
Rix

It is fair enough to have a couple of backups. We need a mobile utility (Blake), a backup key defender (Gwilt) and an insurance ruckman (Gardiner/King/Rix). But to have so many players incapable of contributing who all play in the same position is just plain stupid.

I honestly do hope that I am completely wrong and our new recruits become solid contributers in our 2008 premiership side. But just by calling it as I see it, I think we will go backwards in 2008 (barring a Sydney-like injury run).

Would love to know why we didn't go after Richard Hadley. Would have given up pick 42 for him in a heartbeat.
Jesus Christ!

1. We needed a small-mid forward, another ruckman, and a couple of GOPs under 25 and ready to play senior footy, to add list depth to our list.
2. We targeted clubs under salary cap pressure.
3. We got what we needed.
4. We lost pick #26.
5. We kept picks #9 and #42 in a thin draft.

So what exactly is your problem?

Sounds from your post like you're more aggrieved that we didn't trade away Blake, Ferguson, Gwilt or Jones.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Blake
Dempster
Ferguson
C.Gardiner
M.Gardiner
Gwilt
Jones
King
Rix

Well you should have given RL a call about Hadley. He would really want to know that you would give up that pick and he especially would want to know that you think he drafted duds. Maybe you should see if they need help recruiting.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote: Frankly I think it is a shocking outcome.

Dempster, King, Gardiner. Will any of them play 100 games for St Kilda?
Ross Lyon seems to think so
Ross Lyon wrote:"We see (Sean Dempster and Adam Schneider) to have the potential to be 150-plus game players for St Kilda.
Ross Lyon wrote:"Steven (King) still has 2-3 years of good football ahead of him and his leadership skills and talent are qualities that are very positive for the club.

"We feel we have achieved our aim in selecting a balance of players in the areas of midfield, goalkicking and rucking, which is combined with our aim of developing young players.
mad saint guy wrote:Have any of them had any positive impact on their side in 2007?
As I said in other thread watch the 2007 Grand Final and their's your answer for King :roll:

buzfromgronggrong

Blake
Dempster
Ferguson
C.Gardiner
M.Gardiner
Gwilt
Jones
King
Rix

WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSH@T THAT YOU HOPE YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG!

Mate we are all fully aware that you lay in bed at night squeezing your puny nuts hoping that your right - just so you can wallow further in the misery that is your wretched life.

How does it make you feel to spread your miserable doom and gloom at a time when most are happy?? -brilliant i bet...what a friggin joke of a life you lead!

Miserable gits like you want nothing more than more misery and thats exactly what you get, time and time again - misery, misery and more bleak miserable misery!

- why do you live in friggin warnambool FFS??

Do us all a favor and go jump into the Tasman -you bleating, moaning, pain in the arse!
Last edited by buzfromgronggrong on Fri 12 Oct 2007 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snakeman66
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
LTN16 wrote:We can only have a maximum of 35 players on the list before we go into the draft.
-Does the veterans list affect this?
Depends on whether the veterans are inside the main list of 38 or outside(i.e. 38 + 2 veterans).

We have generally run with Veterans inside the main list due to TPP.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Richter
SS Life Member

Pay no attention msg, thanks for your insights, I for one appreciate them. Even if I don't agree with them.

IMO King is better than we have (seriously he at least held even with Lade/Brogan in the GF - better than we have done against Port in the ruck for years) and the other two (Gardiner and Dempster) add some competition for places and at least some new faces around the joint whilst costing hardly anything.

We have to look where we can improve in a realistic fashion - if that means taking GOPs from other club who are perhaps only marginally better than our own GOPs then sobeit.

Btw you should add Watts and Brooks to your list. I know you have a hard on for Brooks but frankly he hasn't shown much so far and two separate coaches have reliably not picked him. Watts, well, hasn't had a lot of time injury-free to show what he might be made of I guess.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[
Well you should have given RL a call about Hadley. He would really want to know that you would give up that pick and he especially would want to know that you think he drafted duds. Maybe you should see if they need help recruiting.

well...that's a relief...i see that you are rude to others....it wasn't just me.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[

well...that's a relief...i see that you are rude to others....it wasn't just me.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Luckily you are a very polite person.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Everyone on SEN, 3AW, BigFooty, saintsational, at work and down the street think that the Saints have done brilliantly. Oh, and I forgot to mention Ross Lyon.

But you can disagree MSG ... :wink:
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Fri 12 Oct 2007 7:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Everyone on SEN, 3AW, BigFooty, saintsational, at work and down the street think that the Saints have done brilliantly. Oh, and I forgot to mention Ross Lyon.

But you can disagree MSG ... :wink:
Exactly - the so-called experts are falling over each other to praise the Saints efforts today. Leading the news over and above the Judd stuff!! But - gee, you can disagree so vehemently if you must!!

Obviously our recruiters should have chatted to you first to get your ideas!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
kp83
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Would love to know why we didn't go after Richard Hadley. Would have given up pick 42 for him in a heartbeat.
Maybe his 2 knee reconstructions had something to do with it!!! He'll never be the same as when he first came onto the scene.

At least our recruiters know what they're doing!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote: Would love to know why we didn't go after Richard Hadley. Would have given up pick 42 for him in a heartbeat.
Maybe his 2 knee reconstructions had something to do with it!!! He'll never be the same as when he first came onto the scene.

At least our recruiters know what they're doing!
knowing how well we have being negotiating i reckon we couldve squeezed out j.brown and r.hadley for pick 42 and 106 :wink:

nicko016
Club Player

Looking solely at the trades we did fantastically. Schneider and Dempster for 26 is a bargain. King and Gardiner for pick 90 is also a bargain. How we managed to pull off the deal with Sydney I've got no idea.

In the bigger picture however, it takes up four spots on the list and means we won't have too much youth coming into the squad but I expect Schneider to be a good player and if one of King or Gardiner come good it becomes a very good result. So, I'm pretty happy with the result, but hoping that we have enough cap room so we can have a full main list of 40 including Veterans.

So the next few weeks should be interesting to see what unfolds and if we see one or two more delistings and if we do in fact promote two rookies. I really hope that we have enough salary cap to have 40 on the main list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

nicko016 wrote:Looking solely at the trades we did fantastically. Schneider and Dempster for 26 is a bargain. King and Gardiner for pick 90 is also a bargain. How we managed to pull off the deal with Sydney I've got no idea.

In the bigger picture however, it takes up four spots on the list and means we won't have too much youth coming into the squad but I expect Schneider to be a good player and if one of King or Gardiner come good it becomes a very good result. So, I'm pretty happy with the result, but hoping that we have enough cap room so we can have a full main list of 40 including Veterans.

So the next few weeks should be interesting to see what unfolds and if we see one or two more delistings and if we do in fact promote two rookies. I really hope that we have enough salary cap to have 40 on the main list.

Youth is overrated. Schneider could have 10 years left. Raymond was young. How many games did he play.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its not a perfect trade week.

But it's undeniably efficient.

We gave up sweet FA for a few players that can fill some serious gaps in our list.

We gave up rediculously little.

Pick 90 for King is just crazy. Geelong must have absolutely ZERO room in their TPP...

I still think Michael Gardiner is our number one ruck....Well.....I hope anyway.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....