charlie gardiner....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:St Kilda = Hack central.

I thought we were moving forward after getting rid of all our old players...but adding Jones, King, Gardiner and Dempster onto the list just sends us further backwards. Hopefully we will at least cut Ferguson and maybe Rix now. I just don't understand why we are trading for players who just won't make a positive impact.

Look at the new players

Schneider - He is the one player I am genuinely happy to have. He adresses our lack of goalkicking half forwards and adds some spark into the team

Dempster - There is nothing that Dempster can do that Blake, Raph Clarke and Ferguson can't do. I didn't mind us trading for him, but it is unrealistic to expect him to play 100 games for St Kilda. He couldn't get a game when Sydney were missing their CHB and FB. He won't add anything.

King - Played about 5 games this year and none were actually good. He spends more time injured than playing and can't cover the amount of ground required in modern football. He is a less mobile version of Rix,

Gardiner - He is a forward who doesn't get the ball and very rarely kicks goals. Utterly useless.

I thought we were getting rid of the deadwood, but we are simply replacing it.

Gehrig, Hamill, Voss, Thompson, M.Clarke > Jones, Schneider, Dempster, King, Gardiner

MSG of all the forumites I thought that you would be delighted.....for getting Schneider will probably ensure that your pet-hate player in CJ does not geta game.

Ona more serious note....our rucks are crap...and King would geta job asa ruck in most teams. He is agood pick up for us.

We on have ONE small or medium forward. Schneider gives us TWO.. this is a big step up even though Schneider is no star. BUT he improvesa weakness for us.

Dempster and Gardiner are depth players for us....and will improve our depth.

Last year when Goose and Max were both out Dempster would have been very handy.

Lastly....this years draft is very week...the four that we have gained are much better than what we could have gained.

Remember that we also still have picks 9, 42, 58.....and 74.

Though noty al may be used.

9 will get us a good young kid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Lastly....this years draft is very week...the four that we have gained are much better than what we could have gained.
It's a weak draft compared to last year, but it's not a weak draft overall. There should be some really good players still available at pick 26. In any case, it's always better to pick at 26 than 58.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Geelong VFL B&F voting 2007:
The top 10 voting

Tim Callan 139

Charlie Gardiner 126

Jason Davenport 102

James Byrne 70

Henry Playfair 69

Joshua Hunt 67

Brent Prismall 67

Todd Grima 62

Kane Tenace 59

Shannon Byrnes 59

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

therse just no pleasing some ppl

had we pulled off the judd cox double there would be ppl he complaining about it

in all honesty we all know SFA about what players can and cant do ill trust Rossy to know what he wants from this team roll on 2008 !!!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
StSteven
Club Player

Wow Chapman will finally be right if we keep picking the rejects Geelong don't want. Pick 90 is really taking them for nothing. Geelong were obviously going to delist king and Gardiner but out of respect to them saved them from going into the draft.

I don't think our list will be improved by this.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Wow Chapman will finally be right if we keep picking the rejects Geelong don't want. Pick 90 is really taking them for nothing. Geelong were obviously going to delist king and Gardiner but out of respect to them saved them from going into the draft.

I don't think our list will be improved by this.
Exactly. People are pleased that we have a few GOPS to add depth. However these players simply won't make us win any more games.

I am thrilled that we have Schneider, but the other three players are simply plugging holes, and won't do much/any better than our current options. Dampster is no better than Blake, King is no better than M.Gardiner and C.Gardiner is a long way behind Goddard, Gilbert and X.Clarke as a half forward.

I was really hoping that we would learn from the mistakes we have made in the past and recruit young talent, but we continue to be place for other sides to dump their unwanted trash. Would much rather have 3 kids on the list with one of them developing into a very good player than 3 recycled GOPS who dont' add anything.

I am sick of us not winning premierships, and those three players won't help us get one.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Would much rather have 3 kids on the list with one of them developing into a very good player than 3 recycled GOPS who dont' add anything.
With these deals, we can have both. So again, what's the problem?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Some abusive posts have been removed from this thread.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Dempster did a terrific job on Cousins in the GF last year.

I don't see how a "passenger" gets 22 games in a premiership side, but you are entitled to your view mad saint guy.

Dempster has good skills, is a great tackler and has decent pace. He is a very effective tagger, and IMO about as effective as Steven Baker in blanketing an opposition midfielder.

He can also play tall back if required.

I predict right now that Dempster will play 25 games for us next year if he stays injury free.

Steven King was the dominant ruckman in the AFL in 2002 and 2003. He is agressive at the ball, and an excellent hitout ruckman. He played the second half of this year injury-free, is an outstanding leader and a great bloke.

He is a much more talented ruckman than Barry Brooks will ever be and would walk into every team in the AFL.

His experience will be invaluable for the Saints, and he will lead a formidable ruck divison.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Lastly....this years draft is very week...the four that we have gained are much better than what we could have gained.
It's a weak draft compared to last year, but it's not a weak draft overall. There should be some really good players still available at pick 26. In any case, it's always better to pick at 26 than 58.

well...that's what paul roos thought anyway....... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:[ Would much rather have 3 kids on the list with one of them developing into a very good player than 3 recycled GOPS who dont' add anything.

I am sick of us not winning premierships, and those three players won't help us get one.

can't see any of them winning a rising star nomination either....unfortunately......very unfortunately..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

MSG of all the forumites I thought that you would be delighted.....for getting Schneider will probably ensure that your pet-hate player in CJ does not geta game.
Well..reckon he wouold have welcomed a defender/tagger, so that his other pet player Attard might also be in strife. 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
He is a much more talented ruckman than Barry Brooks will ever be and would walk into every team in the AFL.
apart from the cats ...don't you mean....but then again...he walked in for the grannie...then straight out the door..... :wink: :wink:

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:[ Would much rather have 3 kids on the list with one of them developing into a very good player than 3 recycled GOPS who dont' add anything.

All very well to have that view MSG, but where were we going to add the "three kids" from?

Picks #63, #78 and #90 in the draft? The rookie list?

We gained four players for #26, which itself may have netted us 1 player who was going to play 100+ games ....

But where were these "three" good kids going to come from? Auskick?

We added 3 experienced premiership players onto our list with the opportunity cost of a potential 100-gamer.

That's good trading.

sax
Club Player

This is the best we've done in a trade period for a long time & all you guys do is whinge!!!
King is a premiership ruckmen, you can't say M. Gardiner's better than him coz who knows if he's gonna play!
Schneider is a quick midfield/forward, who can finish & is a premiership player!
Dempster is a quick halfback/mid with good disposal, great tackler, who is a premiership player!!
C. Gardiner we got for nix.
Yet Mad Saint Guy still has a whinge!!!
Other than these guys, how many premiership players do we have!!!!
Stop overrating our fricken list!!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

can't see any of them winning a rising star nomination either....unfortunately......very unfortunately..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Raph won a nomination does that make him a good player. 2 of the guys are 23 they could have 10 years of footy left. Who cares about rising star nominations.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Was definately outer fringe player at Geelong this year.

Sucked it up and played good football in th magoos though.

Has played good football in the past. May still have more to offer.

Depth addition IMO....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Incredible the sad arses on this thread :roll:

If we had have got Judd, Goodes, Foley, and both Abletts for pick #106 some know all internet hero would complain :roll:

Generally it is accepted that the Saints have traded very well, but oh no, lets have a dig at the "hacks" on the list, or renaming players who haven't even pulled on a Saints jersey as useless or past it or dumpster :roll:

I thought we were supposed to be supporters of the Saints not carping windbags and whining nancies.

Fair dinkum all I have heard from the whingers is that they didn't want these players.

Well tell us who we should have got for #26?

Would No 26 in the draft get us to a flag next year? Will they ruck? Or be a mid sized goal kicking forward?

What has our No 27 from last year done? or our #9 or #55?

The same moaners wh complain that we haven't won a flag want to pin their hopes on 18 y.o.s in this seasons draft :roll:

And when they dont come good for therr year we will have them whinging that we still have to wait?

Fair Dinkum. Stop your b!tching you bunch of cabbages :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Incredible the sad arses on this thread :roll:

If we had have got Judd, Goodes, Foley, and both Abletts for pick #106 some know all internet hero would complain :roll:

Generally it is accepted that the Saints have traded very well, but oh no, lets have a dig at the "hacks" on the list, or renaming players who haven't even pulled on a Saints jersey as useless or past it or dumpster :roll:

I thought we were supposed to be supporters of the Saints not carping windbags and whining nancies.

Fair dinkum all I have heard from the whingers is that they didn't want these players.

Would No 26 in the draft get us to a flag next year? Will they ruck? Or be a mid sized goal kicking forward?

The same moaners wh complain that we haven't won a flag want to pin their hopes on 18 y.o.s in this seasons draft :roll:

And when they dont come good for therr year we will have them whinging that we still have to wait?

Yes.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yes.
great post joff...agree 100%

We received King (who, if fit, will play every game next year) and Gardiner (who, if sorted out could become anything) for a pick that we most likely wouldnt have even used.

We also got Schneider for 26 which is a great deal in itself but we also recieved sean dempster as well

brilliant trading for mine

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[

Raph won a nomination does that make him a good player. 2 of the guys are 23 they could have 10 years of footy left. Who cares about rising star nominations.
yeah...ralp's a good player...just that we haven't seen it from him apart from mere glimpses......

but from now on i think i will just ignore you......which is what you deserve,...there will be no more replies to silly posts from you.....

if you don''t realise what i am saying then ........fu....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 12 Oct 2007 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

milney044
Club Player

joffaboy- i couldnt have said it better myself

schneider, king, dempster and gardiner - welcome to the mighty saints and may you all have long and successful careers with us :D

bring on 08!!

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes.
great post joff...agree 100%

We received King (who, if fit, will play every game next year) and Gardiner (who, if sorted out could become anything) for a pick that we most likely wouldnt have even used.

We also got Schneider for 26 which is a great deal in itself but we also recieved sean dempster as well

Now we are getting a little carried away. Gardiner could be anything. Please did you think that 10 hours ago. Rose coloured glasses. Hopefully he will not get a game or we have alot of injuries apart from that great trading.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:great post joff...agree 100%

Now we are getting a little carried away. Gardiner could be anything. Please did you think that 10 hours ago. Rose coloured glasses. Hopefully he will not get a game or we have alot of injuries apart from that great trading.

honestly, no i wouldnt have wanted a trade for gardiner ten hours ago

however, if Ross really thinks he has what it takes to get his attitude in line i believe he could become anything

could become a dud, yes
could remain a fringe, yes
could become a solid hff, yes

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I'm not a King fan and definantly not a Gardiner fan......

WE PAID PICK 90 for them it doesn't matter if they do absolutely nothing, we would not have used PICK 90 in the draft. King has a good chance to be in our 22 next year and Gardiner well I could care less, but it was a good trade PICK 90 is nothing and worth the short.