Geelong tells king to retire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Geelong tells king to retire

Geelong tells King to retire

Michael Auciello

11Oct07

Is this the end? Steven King battles with Brendon Lade during this year's Grand Final.
STEVEN King's career at Geelong appears all but over, with the Cats requesting the premiership ruckman retire following a decision to re-sign Mark Blake for two years.

The Geelong Advertiser understands the Cats had been willing to offer their former captain a one-year deal but, with salary cap restraints, offered a contract King was unhappy with.

A source said with no interest from other clubs at the trade table, it left Geelong with little option but to ask King, through manager Ricky Nixon, to retire.

``They were thinking about keeping him for another year,'' the source said. ``After Blake signed, they think they don't need to offer him (King) anything.''

He said King's only hope now was to ``hold his nerve'' and wait for the pre-season draft.

Nixon is said to be extremely disappointed with the move.

Geelong football manager Neil Balme last night said the club was yet to discuss the retirement option with King.

``No, we haven't gone down all those paths yet,'' he said.

``There's been significant interest (during trade week), we'll see how it pans out.

``There's already a squeeze on the salary cap, not that that's impacted much by Mark (Blake).''

When asked whether he was confident King would be a Cat next year, Balme said: ``None of that's been decided''.

With a deal unlikely to be done for the 28-year-old this week, King's only hope of playing again next year would be through the draft.

Richmond football director Greg Miller has already indicated this week the Tigers might be interested in King if he slipped through, but would not trade for him, while St Kilda is another club publicly on the lookout for a ruckman.

Don't think we should offer anything for King, he will be available to fight over with Richmond in the pre season draft, personally I think he is too injury prone, but I must admit he had a good grand final.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think its best

why stay, to go from club captain and All Australian to being put behind a young hack ruckman?

time to hang up the boots on a high

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If he feels he can go on I would hope we would offer a 4th rounder for him, why would Geelong say no, it's better than nothing...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:If he feels he can go on I would hope we would offer a 4th rounder for him, why would Geelong say no, it's better than nothing...
If they take a fourth rounder they must use it. they may only want 3 picks.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:If he feels he can go on I would hope we would offer a 4th rounder for him, why would Geelong say no, it's better than nothing...
If they take a fourth rounder they must use it. they may only want 3 picks.
Oh, I didn't know that, I guess it changes things a bit then, we could switch third round picks I guess.... I still think he would be worth that...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if we even give ha fourth rounder for him i will not be impressed

or pick him up in the psd

anyone else can for all i care

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:if we even give ha fourth rounder for him i will not be impressed

So you wouldnt want a pemiership ruckman for nothing.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:if we even give ha fourth rounder for him i will not be impressed

he was playing secound fiddle to mark blake all year (well most)

what would being a premiership ruckman have to do with it???

they could have played a midget as thier second ruckman and still won by ten goals

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Schneider has played 46 games in the seniors in the last 2 years at a good standard.

So I think his record looks ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

they could have played a midget as thier second ruckman and still won by ten goals
But what do we actually lose getting him in the PSD.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But what do we actually lose getting him in the PSD.
you do have a point however i struggle to see him playing a whole year in the afl

what scares me more though is we cannot develop our own ruckman...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I can not believe some of the people around here. Surely after Cook, Monkhurst, Elliot, Sierakowski, Capuano, Knobel, Oliver, Brooks, Stone, Ackland, Rix, Clarke and Gardiner we have learnt our lesson. Ruckmen who aren't wanted by their club don't generally perform too well at any other club.

Geelong agreed to keep King for another year, but obviously wanted him cheap. King refused, so if we drafted him we would obviously be paying a fair bit for him.

Old, injury-prone ruckmen who can't cover ground and are picked on their form from 5 years ago are worthless.

Taking these players holds the list back. Last year I was calling for us to draft Tom Collier in the PSD, but we had to go for Matthew Clarke. Clarke played 10 games of bugger all, while Collier now looks set to be a top 20 selection in the draft and JB has named him as a prime target for us. I would take a talented, tall, athletic onballer/defender's service for 12 years over one year's service from a dinosaur who stands in the middle of the ground and lifts his arms up a few times each game before going to sleep.

We have recruited one or two hack ruckmen every year for the last 8 years. None of them have contributed anything to the team. Ideally we should be drafting young talent, but if we really want to recruit recycled players then go for midfielders. Thompson, Powell and Fiora have been three success storys and there might be a few more Shane Tucks and David Rodans out there.

Old ruckmen who can't get a game are not worth recruiting, even if they cost us nothing. Maybe if we didnt have any options, but we have six players on the list who can do an ordinary job in the ruck. We don't need any more.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I can not believe some of the people around here. Surely after Cook, Monkhurst, Elliot, Sierakowski, Capuano, Knobel, Oliver, Brooks, Stone, Ackland, Rix, Clarke and Gardiner we have learnt our lesson. Ruckmen who aren't wanted by their club don't generally perform too well at any other club.

Geelong agreed to keep King for another year, but obviously wanted him cheap. King refused, so if we drafted him we would obviously be paying a fair bit for him.

Old, injury-prone ruckmen who can't cover ground and are picked on their form from 5 years ago are worthless.

Taking these players holds the list back. Last year I was calling for us to draft Tom Collier in the PSD, but we had to go for Matthew Clarke. Clarke played 10 games of bugger all, while Collier now looks set to be a top 20 selection in the draft and JB has named him as a prime target for us. I would take a talented, tall, athletic onballer/defender's service for 12 years over one year's service from a dinosaur who stands in the middle of the ground and lifts his arms up a few times each game before going to sleep.

We have recruited one or two hack ruckmen every year for the last 8 years. None of them have contributed anything to the team. Ideally we should be drafting young talent, but if we really want to recruit recycled players then go for midfielders. Thompson, Powell and Fiora have been three success storys and there might be a few more Shane Tucks and David Rodans out there.

Old ruckmen who can't get a game are not worth recruiting, even if they cost us nothing. Maybe if we didnt have any options, but we have six players on the list who can do an ordinary job in the ruck. We don't need any more.
dont think im being condescending

but for a schoolboy you speak gospel

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I can see a ruck combination of Gardiner and King watching far too many games for the teams benefit.........

Cant we turn off the hack radar,even just for a little while.....

:roll:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

realistically how long is van rehaan (spelling) away

to be honest if we are properly planning we should pick up another ruckmen in the rookie draft

Saint Mik
Club Player

We have been without a ruckman that actually does anything for so long that we just about will do anything to get one and that even means recruiting and living in hope that they come good.

Its sad really that we have let it go on for so long :cry:

We have some problems with this list and a ruckman is a major one.

Burkie said on SEN if we can get a ruckman,a midfeilder and a fullforward in this draft without giving to much away we should be ok :shock: this says it all really

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:realistically how long is van rehaan (spelling) away
Van Rheenen has taken a big step up from Scoresby to VFL reserves level, but he is still a fair way off being a competent VFL seniors ruckman. He wasn't named in the best once this year, and he spent most of it in the reserves.

I don't think he should come into our planning at all. If he does develop into an AFL player, it won't be for at least 3 or 4 years. If he was brought into the St Kilda team now his ruckwork would be about even with Blake's and his skill level slightly below Rix, with his physical presence similar to that of Brooks.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:realistically how long is van rehaan (spelling) away
Van Rheenen has taken a big step up from Scoresby to VFL reserves level, but he is still a fair way off being a competent VFL seniors ruckman. He wasn't named in the best once this year, and he spent most of it in the reserves.

I don't think he should come into our planning at all. If he does develop into an AFL player, it won't be for at least 3 or 4 years. If he was brought into the St Kilda team now his ruckwork would be about even with Blake's and his skill level slightly below Rix, with his physical presence similar to that of Brooks.
i see...thats quite the modern prototype of a retard ruckman

however considering we are staying put with him i hope to see him come good

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i see...thats quite the modern prototype of a retard ruckman

That is how most rookie ruckmen plucked from local leagues would be. Obviously JB has seen some raw talent that could be developed, but I'm just saying that he isn't the solution to our ruck problems like many people think.

He's 201cm tall at 19 years old, he's dedicated to football and probably has pretty good coordination. That in itself will get just about anyone on an AFL rookie list.

St Kilda supporters just seem to get a bit excited now that we finally have a young ruckman on the rookie list. Because we all hear about Cox and Sandilands coming from the rookie list and dominating, people expect that van Rheenen will be just like them. But what we don't here about are the other 95% of rookie rucks that never make it.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

king can step right into Doc Clarkes vacancy...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i see...thats quite the modern prototype of a retard ruckman

That is how most rookie ruckmen plucked from local leagues would be. Obviously JB has seen some raw talent that could be developed, but I'm just saying that he isn't the solution to our ruck problems like many people think.

He's 201cm tall at 19 years old, he's dedicated to football and probably has pretty good coordination. That in itself will get just about anyone on an AFL rookie list.

agree entirely

the two w.a ruckmen would surely be about the only two ruckmen ever to make it onto the big stage??
St Kilda supporters just seem to get a bit excited now that we finally have a young ruckman on the rookie list. Because we all hear about Cox and Sandilands coming from the rookie list and dominating, people expect that van Rheenen will be just like them. But what we don't here about are the other 95% of rookie rucks that never make it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i say get him if we can get him for little, if only to allow us to play kosi forward.

otherwise i forsee another year in which our forward line doesn't perform

ben_fff
Club Player

I wouldn't be happy if we pick him up but even less happy if I was a richmond fan and they picked him up, especially after they decided on a youth policy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I can not believe some of the people around here. Surely after Cook, Monkhurst, Elliot, Sierakowski, Capuano, Knobel, Oliver, Brooks, Stone, Ackland, Rix, Clarke and Gardiner we have learnt our lesson. Ruckmen who aren't wanted by their club don't generally perform too well at any other club.

Is King a better ruckman than Rix, Brooks and Blake. The answer is Yes. If he is in the PSD do you get him. the answer is yes. He will play for the Saints next year either from the PSD or a swap of third round picks from geelong.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Is King a better ruckman than Rix, Brooks and Blake. The answer is Yes. If he is in the PSD do you get him. the answer is yes. He will play for the Saints next year either from the PSD or a swap of third round picks from geelong.
Spot on Plugger. King is a former AA ruckman who played well this year in both VFL and AFL, and in particular, had a very good GF against quality opposition. If he's available for 2-3 years I say snap him up, assuming the wages are reasonable.

He would immediately be in our top 3 ruckmen, and free up Kosi to play forward. He's also be good insurance if Gardiner doesn't come up.

People, we regularly get crushed in the ruck. Wouldn't it be nice to at worst break even for a while? Cause if Rixy's our number one man it ain't gunna happen ...